• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark_AleX Returning for the PS4?

Shengar

I agree. Here is a read up on it by the way:

http://fail0verflow.com/blog/2013/espresso.html

"We could just release everything as-is, of course. However, we tried that with the PS3, and the results were not only disappointing, but we actually ended up in an undeserved legal mess. Homebrew for the PS3 is basically nonexistent, and all anyone cares about is piracy. This is not a situation which we want to see happen again."

Its also that no one in the hacking community seemed interested enough to write unofficial developement tools for WiiU, so they could be used to make homebrew stuff.
I know for enthusiast like us homebrew is like modifying your console. But what anyone really cared about is piracy. This is pretty sickening situation in a lot of perspective, especially if the hack come up at this point of PS4 lifetime.

synce

Might be buying a PS4 a lot sooner than expected if DA has something in store... I know that PS4 and Xbone games have already been leaked

Given the shit show that came out of the ps3 hacking scene I dont expect much for the current gen.

Anyone with actual talent has moved on and anyone who wants to run emulators and stream MKV's and other bullshit to the TV has a million cheaper options these days.

velociraptor

I hope this doesn't introduce a shitfest of hackers plaguing online games. I personally never understood the allure of using a console for emulation or homebrew. What could possibly be so amazing that is only possible on a hacked PS4?

L.O.R.D

Vita play PS2 games

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

Razma1

I remember the first custom firmware for PSP that stuff was awesome. It was crazy to be able to play arcade games and stuff on the go. Not to mention ripping your games onto memory card for faster loading.

Jonnax

Oh god. Console hackers again. I was hoping that these new systems will have more robust security so script kiddies don't ruin games for other people.

I loved playing Call of Duty 4 on my PS3 every once in a while but the last few times I played it was a shit show.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
As that fail0verflow blog pointed out, hacks just aren't "done". Alls that happens is an extended game of cat-and-mouse begins with the platform holder moving to counter.

Its just a huge amount of wasteful effort for both sides, especially given the relatively small number of actual homebrewers who are going to use the hacks for what they are intended. As they point out, there will always be more warez kids than true hackers.

Seriously. There are more than enough open-platforms available to give anyone jonesing for some homebrew to get their fix with. Leave the closed systems alone, its just a no-win situation.

This isnt good news for Sony.

Dark_Alex is a legend that went AWOL for a while. Him being back is a double edge sword.

Also emulators on PS4 seems kinda cool IF you can stream still...lol. Imagine doing a SMB rom hack (Kaizo i think) live stream! lol

That's actually a pretty cool idea

Heratiki

As that fail0verflow blog pointed out, hacks just aren't "done". Alls that happens is an extended game of cat-and-mouse begins with the platform holder moving to counter.

Its just a huge amount of wasteful effort for both sides, especially given the relatively small number of actual homebrewers who are going to use the hacks for what they are intended. As they point out, there will always be more warez kids than true hackers.

Seriously. There are more than enough open-platforms available to give anyone jonesing for some homebrew to get their fix with. Leave the closed systems alone, its just a no-win situation.

Yeah considering the Steam Machine is making its way around if it ends up being decently priced then "homebrew" on current gen machines is practically just a bullshit story to create game hacks and piracy. But up until then the system is an all but inviting temptress when it comes to the PS4.

I just want to enjoy my games and if debs don't think they will make money then they will stop supporting it. Sigh.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
What if he's working for Sony now?

It might be a win-win situation for him and Sony.

Shengar

I just want to enjoy my games and if debs don't think they will make money then they will stop supporting it. Sigh.

Worse thing is that supporting devs will throw even more bullshit to us paying customer to make revenue. It become even harder for to tolerate anyone who pirate game, where is it common, heck maybe a norm occurence here. Can't have seriously talk if the person in fornt of you talk enthusiastically without knowing he hurting the industry.

That because Sony created the PSOne emulator. They havent done anything for PS4

Nothing would stop someone from writing an emulator taylored for the PS4. Haven't you heard of people modding their original Xbox and Wii and playing games from retro consoles ranging from the NES up to the N64 ? The PS4 is powerful enough that you could run pretty much anything on it. Maybe not PS3 games, but PS2, absolutely.

Shengar

wonder what yosp will say lol

maybe having a PC like architecture made it easier to hack?

My though also. Then PS3 is pretty much unhackable for years becuase of its architecture?
What if Kutaragi have predicted that the architecture will make it harder to crack.....

beastworship

Neo Member
someone made a thread about best portable emulation machine, i can't speak to that since i only own a psp but it's at the very least serviceable if not dandy. lets say i have access to the entire psp catalog i'd still opt for emulation. sure it's two wrongs in some peoples eyes but still, dark alex turned the system from a paper weight into something i've been able to complete earth bound on and mother 3 in english along with a variety of other games. i hope he figures something out, at least he's not a fruity attention whore like geohot. dark alex sold me two psps, two i'd have never owned without him and even then i still regret buying the second.

Jubern

This is interesting as it is a name I haven't heard in ages, but I'm fairly sure any modification he comes up with will end with the console not being able to access PSN anymore, maybe banned. It's not PSP era anymore and I don't think I could play my consoles without any online access, despite being a single-player guy.

Oh man I am really scraping for that SNES emulator on PS4! NOT.

I mean I don't really care one way or another but do people need to hype this up like a boxing match? This guy is going to do nothing for this system. Mark my words. Sony will be on this like nothing else and for people like me no way in hell am I sticking with an outdated firmware at this point in time.

I have emulators where they belong: on my PC.

If it is Vita well then maybe a bit cooler. Just don't mess with PSN please.

Count me out
Unless i get a 2nd ps4 or vita i aint hacking shit
Sony banning ny first psn account n ps3 was enough fo me.
Imagine gettin emails from sony sayin u still got money in your account but its banned... BOY I HAD 100$ credits!!!!! And all my psone classics!
FUCK DAT

Count me out
Unless i get a 2nd ps4 or vita i aint hacking shit
Sony banning ny first psn account n ps3 was enough fo me.
Imagine gettin emails from sony sayin u still got money in your account but its banned... BOY I HAD 100$ credits!!!!! And all my psone classics!
FUCK DAT

OUCH.

I mean who the hell is writing those emails? Crazy Ken? Haaa you got a 100 bucks in here and I just spent it on mushrooms and hookers! HAAAAA!

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Good thing the PS4 downloads security updates in the background. I'll only have to restart once every week now...

Hacker news was THE most annoying thing last generation. I do not welcome any signs of its return.

Qvoth

might be good for sony overall
i honestly believe why xbox and 360 was so popular was because of its easiness to pirate
piracy is still very rampant

OUCH.

I mean who the hell is writing those emails? Crazy Ken? Haaa you got a 100 bucks in here and I just spent it on mushrooms and hookers! HAAAAA!

Yeah man and worst thing is I cant even ask them to get it unbanned, because when i was able to go on PSN with it cuz I was scared I changed all my info like name street adress etc to some random shit that I cant remember. They asked me for this info when i tried to ask why it was banned(banned my ps3 and banned my account like months after I wasnt even using it only found out when I tried loging in online on my computer)

and even worse
the day they started banning people I only got an email from them telling me it was banned, they did not even send me the email to go clean or else like they did ot everyone.
So now and then I get the generic email saying blah blah blah u got some money in your account -_- never again

Shengar

hahahahaha

It's true in asian country at least. Many people here haven't yet jumped on Generation 7 because PS3 took so long to hack, and it got sinonymous with original-gaming because of that. Those who don't care about brand loyalty will get their hand on Xbox 360 to play pirated game. If it not because of that, Xbox 360 wouldn't be here in the first place.

Massa

Custom firmware is the reasons these systems become more and more closed off. Fuck off, hackers.

Ironic that you would say that considering the PS3 was the most open Playstation platform ever and it wasn't until Sony started closing things down that it was actually hacked.

Basically, if you don't like closed systems blame the companies that build them, not a third party.

8byte

Banned
Ironic that you would say that considering the PS3 was the most open Playstation platform ever and it wasn't until Sony started closing things down that it was actually hacked.

Basically, if you don't like closed systems blame the companies that build them, not a third party.

It wasn't until people (Mr Hotz) started hacking that they closed it down. They gave people an open platform with limits, and people went to overstep those limits to attempt to gain access to the PS3 OS.

So yea, hackers are responsible for closing shit off, not so much Sony (it was reactionary).

I hope this doesn't introduce a shitfest of hackers plaguing online games. I personally never understood the allure of using a console for emulation or homebrew. What could possibly be so amazing that is only possible on a hacked PS4?
This is my biggest fear with CFW. It destroyed the online scene of every game on the PSP and older games are now infested on the PS3. I really hope that the PS4 is never hacked. Unfortunately it will happen.

I just hope Dark Alex is wise does controlled releases that disable online play or something similar. I really hope he just doesn't release it out there into the wild.

8byte

Banned
This is my biggest fear with CFW. It destroyed the online scene of every game on the PSP and older games are now infested on the PS3. I really hope that the PS4 is never hacked. Unfortunately it will happen.

I just hope Dark Alex is wise does controlled releases that disable online play or something similar. I really hope he just doesn't release it out there into the wild.

This doesn't matter. Other people will reverse engineer his shit, exploit it for the wrong purposes, and ruin shit.

It's like giving a group of people a lot of money for a charity and saying "do something good with this, we won't monitor you". Some of those people will get into some illicit shit.

Applecot

I think it was the other way around.

Top Bottom