• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark_AleX Returning for the PS4?

cebri.one

Damn, this is bad news for Sony. Especially if piracy is easy as hell on the console.

Now that I think about it, this is bad news for us in general. The console manufacturers and publishers will point to this as justification for locking things down and making things more onerous for paying customers.

I don't think piracy will be easy, but maybe he is been able to install other OS.

test_account

XP-39C²
Damn, this is bad news for Sony. Especially if piracy is easy as hell on the console.

Now that I think about it, this is bad news for us in general. The console manufacturers and publishers will point to this as justification for locking things down and making things more onerous for paying customers.
Unless there is a program on the PS4 that can be exploited and not patched, so the program needs to be removed to fix the exploit, i dont think there is much that will affect the end-user. A firmware update is the biggest thing that will happen.

Not really would mean more people would buy the PS4 if anything.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Fascinated to see what Sony would do if their worst case scenario happened this early on. I'd imagine it would escalate past more constant firmware updates this time and into other measures like forced periodical network checks in order to do anything with your system (along the lines of how Music Unlimited works so once a month).

Personally I'm stoked he's back in the scene. Maybe he can enable shit Sony will never bother with - like being able to turn off the lightbar or disabling your real name showing up on your UI instead of your PSN ID. Or even more basic things like video support and media server support.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Long time since I heard that name or even thought about PSP homebrew. Remember HEN?

test_account

XP-39C²
Not really would mean more people would buy the PS4 if anything.
What matters the most is the software sales though. The guys who hacked PS3 apparently have a WiiU hack ready, but they see no point in releasing it now, where one reason is piracy. Releasing a hacked system doesnt necessarily mean that tons of extra hardware, and more importantly, more software sales will happen.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Not digging this news at all. Not good for the industry in no fashion.
If anything they should have played with 3DS region lock. Stuff that would actually benefit everyone

Maedhros

Just remember that the first PSP hack happened this early on too. After that, I think someone discovered the battery exploit and PSP was killed forever.

cebri.one

Just remember that the first PSP hack happened this early on too. After that, I think someone discovered the battery exploit and PSP was killed forever.

80 million sold, not as good as the DS of course. But is the only portable console in history that has been able to compete with Nintendo's.

Iacobellis

I bet one of the first things he'll unlock is Blu-Ray/DVD support without Internet. WMA playback on the PSP was the same way.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think that battery hack was done first for the PSP-2000. The very first PSPs at launch had firmware that let you run unsigned code. I assume that made the hacking a lot easier.

RaikuHebi

Banned

First hack (or technically non-hack since the system was open) early 2005. Battery hack Summer 2007 IIRC. And much in between and since.

I am really nostalgic about the PSP scene. Big obsession of my early teens lol. In fact it was a large part of why I became interested in the console, it was like an iPhone before the iPhone existed.

Maedhros

80 million sold, not as good as the DS of course. But is the only portable console in history that has been able to compete with Nintendo's.

With the worst attach rate on the history. Third party started to avoid the thing like it was sick. We needed to depend on localizations from Japan, where piracy almost don't affect their market.

I didn't knew anyone with original games on PSP in Brazil.

Iacobellis

First hack (or technically non-hack since the system was open) early 2005. Battery hack Summer 2007 IIRC.

Pandora Battery first came about via a cellphone video of someone unbricking a PSP at a retail store, I think. I remember you could easily modify an official battery and install the software on a spare Memory Stick to do it.

I hacked my 3.40 PSP-1000 with the Lumines exploit. I think Amazon.com prices on that game were through the roof when the exploit was released.

Famassu

Hardware sales mean absolutely nothing to anyone but Sony. Japan could somewhat scrape by with their Monster Hunters & Final Fantasy Type-0s, but piracy killed both DS & PSP in the west.

Why do people not get that many would like to have open access to install programs? The PS4 cannot even stream videos via DLNA like the PS3. Allowing people to write apps for it would certainly lead to having this feature added and probably in a much more robust and user friendly way than Sony would ever do.
Because time & time again a vast majority have shown that they don't use these exploits for anything but piracy. Sure, for a minority it's nice that they can have some slightly more robust media support, but for the majority it's just a way to have free games (if it's easy and not easily blockable by Sony).

Mokubba

I remember when he hacked a firmware on the same day it was released.

I can't get excited though. No PSN pretty much kills all the hype.

Atolm

With most AAA games having a big online portion (like Driveclub, The Division, Destiny, Titanfall...) hacking for piracy will be the most useless thing ever.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Pandora Battery first came about via a cellphone video of someone unbricking a PSP at a retail store, I think. I remember you could easily modify an official battery and install the software on a spare Memory Stick to do it.

I hacked my 3.40 PSP-1000 with the Lumines exploit. I think Amazon.com prices on that game were through the roof when the exploit was released.

Well remembered, yes initially it was leaked or something in HK and then I remember when it turned out all the top PSP Hackers had been secretly collaborating on the battery project and the custom firmwares. Kind of like The Patriots in MGS haha.

I went through so many hacks because I updated my PSP so many times by deciding I wanted to be on official lol. There was the 2.00 MPH downgrader, the GTALCS 2.60 downgrader and the Lumines one. I luckily had copies of GTALCS and Lumines before their exploits were discovered :p.

Weirdly I updated my Vita today to prepare for PS4 Remote Play. I was running the UNO Exploit. But I hardly used it tbh.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I think that battery hack was done first for the PSP-2000. The very first PSPs at launch had firmware that let you run unsigned code. I assume that made the hacking a lot easier.

I remember looking down the UMD tray to see the motherboard number to make sure I wouldn't brick it.

DBT85

With how well Sony did with the PS3 you have to assume they learned some more lessons for the PS4, like having an actual random number generator.

params7

Banned
I will forever admire DA if he can somehow get custom music (or google music/spotify) working in all ps4 games.

test_account

XP-39C²
I remember looking down the UMD tray to see the motherboard number to make sure I wouldn't brick it.
I never hacked my PSP (never used it that much besides the God of War games and Resident Evil 1 PS1. But i remember getting region free with modchip on PS1 and PS2 =)

With how well Sony did with the PS3 you have to assume they learned some more lessons for the PS4, like having an actual random number generator.
This the only thing that interest me about this. Curious to see if any big mistakes were made in the security. But its not like anything is hacked yet.

Shengar

What matters the most is the software sales though. The guys who hacked PS3 apparently have a WiiU hack ready, but they see no point in releasing it now, where one reason is piracy. Releasing a hacked system doesnt necessarily mean that tons of extra hardware, and more importantly, more software sales will happen.
Releasing Wii U hacks pretty much will nail the coffins for it. Good decision on their part at least.

Espada

With the worst attach rate on the history. Third party started to avoid the thing like it was sick. We needed to depend on localizations from Japan, where piracy almost don't affect their market.

I didn't knew anyone with original games on PSP in Brazil.

Yup. Custom game soundtracks and whatever other minor thing people are hoping for aren't worth opening the console up to easy piracy. As we saw on the PSP, if you can get a game for free why would you pay money for it? People pirated games, publishers saw very little money for the amount they invested, and ultimately decided to abandon it.

And like I said before, this will just be used as justification for nastier forms of DRM. Which hurts paying customers in the end.

test_account

XP-39C²
Releasing Wii U hacks pretty much will nail the coffins for it. Good decision on their part at least.
I agree. Here is a read up on it by the way:

http://fail0verflow.com/blog/2013/espresso.html

"We could just release everything as-is, of course. However, we tried that with the PS3, and the results were not only disappointing, but we actually ended up in an undeserved legal mess. Homebrew for the PS3 is basically nonexistent, and all anyone cares about is piracy. This is not a situation which we want to see happen again."

Its also that no one in the hacking community seemed interested enough to write unofficial developement tools for WiiU, so they could be used to make homebrew stuff.

mollipen

If this at all leads to people being able to hack their games, I'm going to be very sad. I jumped into the Call of Duty/Battlfield thing for the first time with the most recent games on PS3/Xbox 360, and it took almost no time for me to run into hackers.

Iacobellis

TA-084 :p. Man memories of my younger days come flooding back for me in this thread. Nearly 9 years ago was PSP released in Japan!

Yo... I forgot all about that! I remember way back shortly after launch, you would have to check for a letter on the side of the box to make sure you were buying a 1.50 model.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Yo... I forgot all about that! I remember way back shortly after launch, you would have to check for a letter on the side of the box to make sure you were buying a 1.50 model.

Did you ever watch PSP Hacking 101? Too Smart Guys? They released how-to videos before Youtube barely existed!

Valnen

If this at all leads to people being able to hack their games, I'm going to be very sad. I jumped into the Call of Duty/Battlfield thing for the first time with the most recent games on PS3/Xbox 360, and it took almost no time for me to run into hackers.

Yeah, this is why consoles should be a closed platform and anyone celebrating this is just...ugh.

Iacobellis

Did you ever watch PSP Hacking 101? Too Smart Guys? They released how-to videos before Youtube barely existed!

That is EXACTLY what I thought of when I was writing my post! The earliest PSP "exploit" I can remember is being able to browse the web with WipEout.

Top Bottom