• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark_AleX Returning for the PS4?

I think it was the other way around.

Yeah idk there man. When things start getting hacked you open up even more? Ummm, no. Not on a closed system. If you value your future business endeavors in third world that is.

Also, sorry, but do we really need an emulator on PS4? I mean, do people play SNES games that much these days?

It's not about options sorry I wasn't clear there. It is about messing up the network and going through all that jazz again for an emulator. No thanks. My PS4 is on the same TV as my PC and my PC does all of that and more.

On the Vita I can understand.

LegoArmo

All I know is I absolutely loved my soft modded original Xbox, and I never played a single pirated game on it. XBMC, emulators and other homebrew stuff... It was a different time though.

8byte

Banned
All I know is I absolutely loved my soft modded original Xbox, and I never played a single pirated game on it. XBMC, emulators and other homebrew stuff... It was a different time though.

People like you are outnumbered.

By a wide margin.

sn00zer

As much as I appreciate the homebrew scene I have personally only seen it used for piracy in person.... I know plenty of people in here buy and rip their own discs and bios, but all of my friends use homebrew for piracy (lol get new friends), but seriously 9 times out of ten when someone introduces me to homebrew it starts with "Dude look at all these games I downloaded"

TheCloser

Banned
I hope this guy gets caught. He's a trouble maker and adds nothing of value. Why can't people like him stay on pc and hack to their heart's content. As far as I'm concerned, homebrew=piracy. 99% of the time, it's use for that. If he is really interested in the ps4 or other consoles, he should get a real job working for the guys who make them.

I hope this guy gets caught. He's a trouble maker and adds nothing of value. Why can't people like him stay on pc and hack to their heart's content. As far as I'm concerned, homebrew=piracy. 99% of the time, it's use for that. If he is really interested in the ps4 or other consoles, he should get a real job working for the guys who make them.

It's right there in the op, but I'll mention it again.

Homebrew =/= Piracy.

Zen

Banned
I agree. Here is a read up on it by the way:

http://fail0verflow.com/blog/2013/espresso.html

"We could just release everything as-is, of course. However, we tried that with the PS3, and the results were not only disappointing, but we actually ended up in an undeserved legal mess. Homebrew for the PS3 is basically nonexistent, and all anyone cares about is piracy. This is not a situation which we want to see happen again."

Its also that no one in the hacking community seemed interested enough to write unofficial developement tools for WiiU, so they could be used to make homebrew stuff.

Man hearing this come from people within the home-brew community is very encouraging. I love homebrew! and I honestly don't mind when it's used for very retro console emulation, but 99% of people just want it opened up so that they can pirate games, period. I'd be ecstatic if the hacker scene figured out a way to open up a system without making it possible to pirate current software.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I use my PSP almost exclusively as a music creation tool and it's an incredibly powerful one at that. Without his tools it would not be possible and on top of that it would get absolutely zero use.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

but the PS4 is a PC, with the software being the only line in the sand. the same software that these guys are going to be hacking.

people root their marked down phones with proprietary wrappers all the time. i don't see how this is any different.

What I don't like about homebrew is that it enables irritating tools. Good luck playing any online game on the PSP without a cheater. I love CFW for all the extras, but not the cheaters.

Espada

but the PS4 is a PC, with the software being the only line in the sand. the same software that these guys are going to be hacking.

people root their marked down phones with proprietary wrappers all the time. i don't see how this is any different.

The difference is that this will be used as justification by publishers to push online-only games, and other forms of DRM onto honest, paying customers. The difference is that cracked consoles are used for piracy by most people, and that has killed consoles in the past (example: PSP).

Not only that you get hackers galore, which ruins multiplayer games. This screws over others (and the console in question) because you want to emulate SNES games or whatever.

PC manufacturers earn their money with hardware, console manufacturers do not. Consoles are subsidized and cheap because manufacturers have low margins there and earn their money with software. If you buy subsidized consoles and run free software on it, you are hurting the console manufacturer.

Accoun

I use my PSP almost exclusively as a music creation tool and it's an incredibly powerful one at that. Without his tools it would not be possible and on top of that it would get absolutely zero use.

What do you use? I tried Rhythm, but didn't really like its workflow that much. Is there anything more?

Aw man, custom firmware was a brilliant thing. Of course I remember him!

If they could get just some emulators running on the PS4, I would certainly consider getting one. But I'm sure something like that would come at the cost of having to give up online features.

Hasney

Now this is tempting me to go get a PS4 ASAP before it gets patched out. A hacked PS3 is a thing of beauty and I'd love that trend to continue.

Just allow me to continue playing retail discs even when newer firmware is on the disc itself and I'll be golden.

Homebrew =/= Piracy.

Piracy isn't the issue, the problem is that homebrew can very easily lead to cheating in online games. If Sony isn't on the ball and people can go online with custom firmware on the PS4 it could destroy the online scene of any game.

Raist

Banned
I agree. Here is a read up on it by the way:

http://fail0verflow.com/blog/2013/espresso.html

"We could just release everything as-is, of course. However, we tried that with the PS3, and the results were not only disappointing, but we actually ended up in an undeserved legal mess. Homebrew for the PS3 is basically nonexistent, and all anyone cares about is piracy. This is not a situation which we want to see happen again."

Are they still believing in the fantasy that they can hack consoles without it turning into 95% piracy purposes? Really?

linkboy

The only thing I'm interested in homebrew wise is the PSP mode of the Vita being able to play custom PS1 games, since that's really all I use my PSP for and PS1 games play much better on the Vita.

Android has pretty much taken over my electronic tinkering itch that my PSP used to fill.

test_account

XP-39C²
Maybe already mentioned, but it seems that someone else is controlling dark-alex.org, and that the website update is not done by Dark_Alex himself.

I know for enthusiast like us homebrew is like modifying your console. But what anyone really cared about is piracy. This is pretty sickening situation in a lot of perspective, especially if the hack come up at this point of PS4 lifetime.
Yeah, i hope for Sony's sake that PS4 isnt hacked that fast. But it seems to be a very popular console regardless, so i think a lot of people would still buy games for it. Especially if online doesnt work if the console is hacked (if Sony can detect it and ban people).

Man hearing this come from people within the home-brew community is very encouraging. I love homebrew! and I honestly don't mind when it's used for very retro console emulation, but 99% of people just want it opened up so that they can pirate games, period. I'd be ecstatic if the hacker scene figured out a way to open up a system without making it possible to pirate current software.
I agree. It shows that some are at least somewhat responsible when doing a hack instead of just releasing it very fast.

Are they still believing in the fantasy that they can hack consoles without it turning into 95% piracy purposes? Really?
I think that qoute is referring to that there is basically no homebrew scene at all. Like with PSP, eventhough that there were a lot of piracy going on, there were also quite a few homebrew apps and games as well. Most of the usage with hacks like this will be used for piracy related stuff, that is true.

ElfArmy177

Homebrew =/= Piracy.

give me a damn break. Almost all of it ends up with piracy. Leaving candy at the door for Halloween doesn't always end up with one kid taking all of it, but usually it does.

I understand there are a few who like homebrew and use it for xbmc and such, but lets not get ignorant, you can build a damn cheap PC for all your emulator/homebrew/whatever needs.

hacking consoles leads to piracy, almost 100% of the time. Anyone who disagrees is full of crap

edit: playing devils advocate, but kinda agree

fvng

I can't wait to get emulators running on my ps4 that already work 100% fine on my PC.

A jailbroken ps3 that can't get on PSN is a lonely ps3, so I don't see myself jailbreaking a PS4 either.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What do you use? I tried Rhythm, but didn't really like its workflow that much. Is there anything more?

Yep, Rhythm 8.

It was the first real music tool I ever sunk time in to and I ended up learning how to use it well and I really like it now.

If you didn't like it, the only thing I can offer from my perspective is spend more time with it but if you're already more proficient with other tools I'd say it's fine to just ignore it all together.

I rather hope its not been hacked yet. Hacking and piracy killed the psp, and I don't want to see the ps4 killed by folks after a free lunch.

jimi_dini

I think it was the other way around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hotz#Hacking_the_PlayStation_3

On January 26, 2010, Hotz released the exploit to the public

On March 28, 2010, Sony responded by announcing their intention to release a PlayStation 3 firmware update that would remove the OtherOS feature from all models.

We lost OtherOS because of this asshole. I mean if he had any brains, he would have figured out that Sony would not keep OtherOS around, especially because he used it to hack the PS3. There was no way to win that at all. Except maybe nuke the whole PS3 platform completely. Which would have been stupid as well. We will never see something like OtherOS again because of his selfish actions.

Homebrew =/= Piracy.

He said "homebrew = piracy. 99% of the time."

And as a homebrew dev, I agree with that. Sure there are plenty of people, who actually own the games. Homebrew isn't bad by itself. But most users are pirates. The software, that I work on, is even available in a "bundle torrent" with all sorts of supported games already included. Which is maddening. I'm not doing this complicated work for them. I do it to preserve those old games. Because I love them. And I also love to work on it for those remaining few percents of legit users.

You don't want to know how often people even go to our forums and/or IRC and ask for help, because a game isn't working. And then we figure out, that it's a pirated version. I bet that some users are also smart enough, so that we don't figure it out.

Accoun

If you didn't like it, the only thing I can offer from my perspective is spend more time with it but if you're already more proficient with other tools I'd say it's fine to just ignore it all together.

Yeah, I didn't spend that much time with it. I didn't really try to be serious about it and was only checking out various homebrew and checked out to see how does it look to make music on psp (having NitroTracker from DS or even LSDJ in mind - more as good music tools than exactly trackers, though).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yeah, I didn't spend that much time with it. I didn't really try to be serious about it and was only checking out various homebrew and checked out to see how does it look to make music on psp (having NitroTracker from DS or even LSDJ in mind - more as good music tools than exactly trackers, though).

One thing that I think really helps make it much more diverse and usable is downloading a bunch of sound packs to use with it. The ones it comes with are fine, but having the variety makes a world of difference. It's a lot more powerful than I would have expected for some homebrew made by some dudes for a PSP.

For an example of something I pulled off with it, here's one song I threw together. It was from my early stages with it and it's not wonderfully mastered or anything, but I think it's a good example of something you can do if you just play around with it for a little while. That songs from early 2010 when I had been playing with it for about a month or two.

The Lamp

The difference is that this will be used as justification by publishers to push online-only games, and other forms of DRM onto honest, paying customers. The difference is that cracked consoles are used for piracy by most people, and that has killed consoles in the past (example: PSP).

Not only that you get hackers galore, which ruins multiplayer games. This screws over others (and the console in question) because you want to emulate SNES games or whatever.

This. This shit would ruin the PS4. Oh cool, you get to play your old SNES games! But look at all these other shitty consequences.

Top Bottom