• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark_AleX Returning for the PS4?

kartu

Banned
Don't forget the PSP, my good man.

Wasn't Nintendo's handheld hackable too?
Wasn't Xbox hacked like from day one? Why didn't it doom it, when for many years, competitor console stayed unhackable?

Let me provide you with a possible reason: BECAUSE MOST PIRATES WON'T BUY GAME, EVEN IF THEY CAN'T PIRATE IT.

Aurizen

I have been away for a while, so my question to you is; did you miss me? I am aware that ya’ll were all thirsty for a cup of a fine Reckz0r release, so here I am…with a fine fuckin’ glass of a RECKZ0R release, yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! (did that sound sarcastic?)

Before I get off started ridiculing Sony, I’d like to pay homage to Sir George Hotz, who looked into the eyes of Sony and made them ejaculate as they bowed down in fear. Very artistic of you, Geohotz.

Now that, George Hotz has resigned from engaging in all types of sexual activities with an computer, and as all fans of PlayStation are crying for the comeback of GeoHotz..I’d let you all know, you don’t need that lil fuckin’ faggot. You really don’t.

Well, alright….LET’S GET STARTED ALREADY!

As you all know, PS4 runs Orbis OS, that is highly based on FreeBSD (which is a opensource operating system), and as the PS4 is closely identical to a PC, I guess you all knew that PS4 and the Xbox One will probably end up getting pwned soon, and now..its time.

NOTE: I did not find this vulnerability within PS4, nor did I write the exploit, while I was browsing thru an Brazilian console-hacking forum known as condinh0 (I am sure you all know this if you hang out at TOR). A person named x-s4nd3r released the devkit of PS4, as well as the exploit within 5 days of PS4 release. Although most of you don’t know how to apply that jailbreak on the PS4, I am making this tutorial to sort this shit out for you.
Just a rumor found it here

c0de

I'm sure Wii U will be too in time. There's plenty of people working on it, and like I said it's pretty much always just a matter of time.

Who exactly? Marcan already said fail0verflow won't do anything further because of $walloftext (it's not worth it).

c0de

How different is this hardware from the similar PC parts?

I guess PS4 isn't ibm/pc-compatible (read: most probably no ordinary bios), perhaps other system setup (pci-id's?)... For a system to boot and be functional you need a lot of drivers and tweaking of existent code... and then still you will perhaps get something like vesa and not accelerated graphics. This also means we will perhaps see a linux-kernel booting anywhen in the future but I doubt we will see anything else on it.

schwupp

Why does everyone within the hacking scene sound like some sort of juvenile dumbass?

because he is not part of the hacking scene and just a juvenile dumbass :p
his other tweets are funny too ... I HACKED CNN .. *posts some sql tables from a random cnn web server*

Aurizen

Why does everyone within the hacking scene sound like some sort of juvenile dumbass?
I've wondered the same, the hacking scene is different than the iOS hacking scene, the iphone hacking seems to be more put together and proactive. The videogame scene like ps vita and psp etc seems childish, secretive and petty.

test_account

XP-39C²
It is and Yoshida confirmed that to Boogie when he visited the Playstation launch event.
Yeah, i heared Boogie mentioned it :) I just did a quick Google search earlier before i posted and i couldnt find any 100% confirmation article on it. But yeah, Boogie did indeed mention that Yoshida told him that DLNA streaming and MP3 support is coming to the PS4.

Liseda

Come on, the JB shit is obvious fake.
The guy got images from "@playstation" DMing him more than 140 characters on twitter.

zychi

Banned
if he can do what the cfw people have done on the ps3, i would be down to follow him. i'm sure you'll need an older firmware for whatever he plans on doing, and i'm gonna be keeping my ps4 up-to-date for online play.

Portugeezer

Damn, this is bad news for Sony. Especially if piracy is easy as hell on the console.

Now that I think about it, this is bad news for us in general. The console manufacturers and publishers will point to this as justification for locking things down and making things more onerous for paying customers.

It's not as if developers are looking for excuses to make their games online only... oh wait.

Anyway, I hope this is something more interesting than just opening up a method of playing *cough*"backups"*cough* in the future.

kartu

Banned
I guess PS4 isn't ibm/pc-compatible (read: most probably no ordinary bios), perhaps other system setup (pci-id's?)... For a system to boot and be functional you need a lot of drivers and tweaking of existent code... and then still you will perhaps get something like vesa and not accelerated graphics. This also means we will perhaps see a linux-kernel booting anywhen in the future but I doubt we will see anything else on it.

I see it other way. If someone ever hacks it, there won't be much to stop x86 (ok, AMD64) compatible code from running on ordinary PCs. Additional hardware in either console would hardly stop it, as it is can be emulated.

There are also oh so many people/tools/anything in x86 world, that I wonder, wasn't that the reason consoles were not using PC compatible hardware in the first place. So either Sony/MS got much much better at securing the system, or going AMD will backfire badly... Piracy within the platform is bad enough,

Portugeezer

I see it other way. If someone ever hacks it, there won't be much to stop x86 (ok, AMD64) compatible code from running on ordinary PCs. Additional hardware in either console would hardly stop it, as it is can be emulated.

There are also oh so many people/tools/anything in x86 world, that I wonder, wasn't that the reason consoles were not using PC compatible hardware in the first place. So either Sony/MS got much much better at securing the system, or going AMD will backfire badly... Piracy within the platform is bad enough,

At best it could run the OS. Anything else is a pipe-dream.

c0de

Of course they run x86-code but this doesn't help if you want to boot a full os - it has to support the system appropriately. And there is no "emulation" involved, there is code to altered and/or rewritten.

The reason for not using PC the last gens were different ones than just piracy.

Bollocks

I always wanted to run unassigned code, lol kiddo, if you fake, at least know what you're talking about, it's unsigned code not unassigned.

The so called exploit is utter bullshit, if you still have doubts after reading more than 4 sentences

RoyalFool

Banned
I wouldn't mind some way of playing installed games without needing the disc in the drive - the stupid UK PSN prices ruined my 'all digital' plan for this generation.

kartu

Banned
At best it could run the OS. Anything else is a pipe-dream.
Of course they run x86-code but this doesn't help if you want to boot a full os - it has to support the system appropriately. And there is no "emulation" involved, there is code to altered and/or rewritten.

There is an ARM chip in there (and some other stuff) not present on normal PCs that might need emulation.

But once you have the code, you can change any portion of it to do anything you want, without having to solve problems like signing, since it just runs on normal PC. Once you have the code, it's game over. Very different from current gen, where having decrypted code is just step one and you need to find a hole in it, to get anywhere.

c0de

There is an ARM chip in there (and some other stuff) not present on normal PCs that might need emulation.

But once you have the code, you can change any portion of it to do anything you want, without having to solve problems like signing, since it just runs on normal PC. Once you have the code, it's game over. Very different from current gen, where having decrypted code is just step one and you need to find a hole in it, to get anywhere.

You won't need to emulate the arm - there is linux for arm, too ;)
We don't know yet what the arm is good for so we will have to leave it to hackers how the PS4 works from boot to work. And no, it's not a "normal pc", just like the first xbox wasn't which was clearly closer than next-gen hardware to an off-the-shelf pc.

Top Bottom