• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To Avoid Spoilers Get Out | Get Out Spoiler Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmax3901

Just watched this. I enjoyed it but was disappointed to find I didn't love it. My girlfriend and I figured some kind of body snatching thing was going on pretty early and as the movie went on (and now reading this thread) it seems we probably weren't supposed to? Not trying to be all 'yo saw it coming a mile off', it just legit seemed pretty clear. This made the actual reveal a bit overdone, it was like yeah... we know.

I also struggled with the tone a little bit, and I think this is at least partially on me. Cause I know it was Peele who directed it I couldn't help but think of a sketch where the premise is: "what if Black people were body snatched by White people".

"Snitching? What is snitching? Oh, you must mean tattletale!" *laughter track*

This meant that some of the scenes that were clearly meant to be disturbing or unsettling lacked impact.

I loved the friend, and how Chris did not muck around when he got free. The acting and writing are all top-notch, and the movie looks great too.

Alienfan

It was solid, but at 99% on rotten tomatoes I expected something more than a standard horror film. The brain transplant sub plot was beyond stupid (it doesn't actually make sense) and the so called "twist" with the girlfriend was extremely predictable (although well executed). Still a very entertaining though

Watching his movie again...did anybody catch the reason why she didn't want the officer in the beginning to take/see his license? It wasn't because of racial profiling but more of her knowing that he would be flagged in the system in that area when he would eventually come up missing. That and if he had anything that flagged him in the system her whole plan/auction would not have taken place and she knew it. So awesome.

taybul

Finally got to watch this last night. Wife and I loved it. Entire time we were convinced that they were simply hypnotized.

I wish I didn't read the trivia for the movie right after because there were so many details that would have made a second viewing a lot better.

Red UFO

The brain transplant plot is vital.

When white people enslaved black people, they did so under the pretense that white people were smart and black people were strong, so the white brains controlled the black strength.

Get Out is taking this idea to its literal zenith.

LionPride

Banned
The brain transplant plot is vital.

When white people enslaved black people, they did so under the pretense that white people were smart and black people were strong, so the white brains controlled the black strength.

Get Out is taking this idea to its literal zenith.
Correct

Surprised there wasn't anything about our skulls being different as the reason why we are dumb and whites are smart. Shit was debunked but people still believe it...

Saw it yesterday (it just opened in Mexico) and it was amazing. And theore I read and analyze it thenmore im convinced this was a special movie.

The "he picked cotton to save his life" post struck me like a bus.

CloudWolf

Watched the movie again with my girlfriend last night. It was even better than the first time.

Watching his movie again...did anybody catch the reason why she didn't want the officer in the beginning to take/see his license? It wasn't because of racial profiling but more of her knowing that he would be flagged in the system in that area when he would eventually come up missing. That and if he had anything that flagged him in the system her whole plan/auction would not have taken place and she knew it. So awesome.
Yep, that's one of the things I caught this time. She really doesn't want there to be any record of Chris being in that location. I also noticed that her facial expressions during the party are actually really well done. For instance when that one woman feels Chris' arms, Rose looks extremely worried, as if she's afraid that Chris is going to see through the facade.

cordy

Banned
Loved it. From the rip I was suspicious of the family like Chris was considering I've been in situations where I, a black man, have to interact with another's family that are white. Of course that whole hypnotizing and body snatching thing didn't happen but man it was very accurate. I swear, the moment he broke out I was jumping out of my seat standing and yelling at the tv and I don't think I've done that towards a movie in a great while. I loved the ending too. Everything about it was great.

El-Suave

Rented it last night - it was good fun and a great film for people like me who don't like full on horror movies but it was probably the worst case of the trailer giving away too many scenes and showing too much of the plot.
That "grandpa was beaten by Jesse Owen for the Olympics" line was one of the little highlights.

Charcoal

So did the grandpa brainwash the entire family, or was everyone just a part of it on their own? Even at death's door, Rose still kept up the illusion until she realized it wasn't her cop.

Just rented this on Amazon. This was so good! The final sequence with him escaping and killing the family had me on the edge of my seat. I'm really happy they went with the happy ending. I would have been upset if Chris had gone to prison after all that like he does in the alternate ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom