• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtrizzy

I agree with regard to GTA, but why the fuck are custom soundtracks so hard? XBOX 1 had it! I don't know if it was on all games, but certainly if they can do it for NBA 2k5, they can do it on PS3 games 3-4 years later.

newsguy

Oddly, I dislike reggaeton. They play it all the time in the clubs here. When it's played in this video I love it. It just works.

-The PS3's version seems to be exactly the same visually as it's 360 counterpart
- The frame rate on the ps3 version is extremely smooth

I really want more info on the PS3 version.

I have the 360 version preordered, but I would rather buy it on PS3 because I am so used to the controller with the type of game. The only thing I am worried about outside performance is if they make you use L2/R2 for driving or shooting controls. The fact that R1 is the cover button makes me think R2 will be foor shooting, so hopefully they give you options to change it.

GQman2121

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Of ALL the games to ask for custom soundtrack this should be the LAST one. Instead of listening to the soundtrack R* probably paid a hefty licensing fee just to put together, for some reason someone would like to listen to the same shit boomboomboom dumbass dance track.
Indifferent2.gif

I don't about you, but I dump a shit load of hours into GTA games. The option to have my own music mixed in with the games sound affects matters to me. I don't just want one or the other, I want everything.......

Jtrizzy

Yes on the cover system, but (I think) there may some question as to whether the "lock on" remains. I just asked this in the Saint's Row thread but have yet to get an answer.

Kittonwy said:
Of ALL the games to ask for custom soundtrack this should be the LAST one. Instead of listening to the soundtrack R* probably paid a hefty licensing fee just to put together, for some reason someone would like to listen to the same shit boomboomboom dumbass dance track.
Indifferent2.gif

.... Depends on how the soundtrack is. I don't wanna listen to Rusty Cage over and over! Don't give a fuck about Ne-Yo either. Mix music might be appealing to you, but i only listen to songs/artist that i like, unless forced to. 1000+ songs in my PS3 that are hardly played say rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

Teknoman

GQman2121 said:
I don't about you, but I dump a shit load of hours into GTA games. The option to have my own music mixed in with the games sound affects matters to me. I don't just want one or the other, I want everything.......

But still in a way its like an RPG or Survival Horror game or any other game where the soundtrack itself is essential to the game. Save the custom soundtrack stuff for games with lame soundtracks, racing, or sports games.

Linkzg said:
The only thing I am worried about outside performance is if they make you use L2/R2 for driving or shooting controls. The fact that R1 is the cover button makes me think R2 will be foor shooting, so hopefully they give you options to change it.

yeah i have the same fear - r2 as a trigger just doesn't do it for me. i kinda doubt they'll give you the option to change the controls, though.

so (i believe) R1 puts you into cover, R2 fires, L2 half-way = free-aim, L2 all the way = lock-on.

jett

D-Member
:lol This game has fucking reggaeton music. I hate that shit, but it's just awesome that GTA4 is covering even that genre.

I'm buying a PS3.

striKeVillain! said:
I hope we get a full fledged Latin station. I want some Salsa, Merengue and Reggaeton please!

Just turn on your TV in the other room. The "iO Digital Cable" commercial is, I'm sure, only moments away.

Himuro said:
The Steinway Beer Garden looks badass. I mean I can play DARTS in that bar if I want. SHENMUE BABY.

OH MY FUCKING GOD* ARE YOU SERIOUS? I live like ten minutes away from the real one!!

I LIVE TEN MINUTES AWAY FROM THE REAL ONE!!

SoilSamplage.jpg

(I'm really trying to stop using this gif, but life keeps giving me too many reasons to.)

P.S. "At least we're not as racist as the midwest." Lawlz.

P.P.S. This menu beat is fucking awesome.

Also, if it hasn't been noted already, the real Beer Garden is off 31st, approximately 10 blocks away from the real Steinway St.

I'm still jumping up and down. That's just the most amazing thing ever.

Pharmacy said:
I dont see drum & bass :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

X -> Select Music -> benjamin's_macbookpro -> Artist -> Peshay -> Album -> Miles From Home -> Play

(ETA: Speaking of music, the main GTA4 page is on in the background. I can't stay away from this beat!!!)

Alex

I'm sure this has been answered, so apologies, but Is Lazlow the primary chat station guy in this one again? VC and SA had good ones, but Lazlow was by far the best

guidop

Pharmacy said:

you'll have to wait till GTA: London which will probably be the next installment in the GTA franchise

I hope this GTA raps me up in the story and atmosphere as much as GTA: Vice City did. I loved that game so much, had like 96% complete. Only had to get the rest of the hidden packages

oh snap!

35jbk8z.png

10oohtf.png

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif
lol, maybe if they picked better reggae, i'd care more.

Tr4nce

Well I'm glad the PS3 version turned out to be equal to the X360 version, but didn't expect any different, to be honest. Also glad to see that there will be some EDM radio stations on board.

bluheim

Banned
Tr4nce said:
Well I'm glad the PS3 version turned out to be equal to the X360 version, but didn't expect any different, to be honest.

I'll believe it when I see it. If differences are of the level of COD4, I would be pretty happy. Of course, they could also pull a Dirt but I doubt it...

Pharmacy

Banned
bluheim said:
I'll believe it when I see it. If differences are of the level of COD4, I would be pretty happy. Of course, they could also pull a Dirt but I doubt it...

Better framerate & lighting with a few details missing?

I'd still buy it for ps3 :S

Darji

Banned
Himuro said:
These images were ripped from New and Information backgrounds of the website. Hooooly shit...this game. This game. THIS GAME!

25qae0k.jpg

2qd0v1l.jpg
wow this looks awesome. Hopefully it plays as good as it looks (on my PS3)^^

Mohonky

Pharmacy said:

WHAT THE FUCK? GTA always has a DnB station.

Ahwell thank god for music streaming but still a station incorporated into the game would have been nice.

Mrbob

This game is going to be awesome.

BenjaminBirdie said:
OH MY FUCKING GOD* ARE YOU SERIOUS? I live like ten minutes away from the real one!!

I LIVE TEN MINUTES AWAY FROM THE REAL ONE!!

SoilSamplage.jpg

(I'm really trying to stop using this gif, but life keeps giving me too many reasons to.)

P.S. "At least we're not as racist as the midwest." Lawlz.

P.P.S. This menu beat is fucking awesome.

Hahaha, this is great. First time I've seen this image!

Himuro said:
Dude.....there's going to be 18 radio stations and this is what we've got so far:

Classical station (possibility since the track in the first trailer)
International radio station (including Russian tracks)
Alternative rock
Indie rock
Oldscool hip hop
R&B
Jazz
Likely a Mexican music station (hence the Reggaeton)

Hold your horses.
Don't forget at least one talk radio station.
(and I'm SO happy about the old school hip hop)

Manager

GameMaster will have a hands-on of the game, goes on sale on February 13th, I think it's in the UK?
C&V has some quotes from it:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=181869

"It's during a cab ride that we realise just how good the new GTA is," the mag says. "There's as much traffic as you'd expect. But you can see people actually driving their cars and hear what they're playing on their stereo as you drive past.

"Major changes have been made to the [vehicle] handling," GM continues. "So it's much more difficult to chuck a top-of-the-range motor around a right-angle by jamming on the handbrakes.
"It's much more realistic, making the faster cars and bikes more difficult to control and the difference between models more noticeable. It still felt fun but don't rely on that handbrake when cornering."
"If you get a wheel shot out you'll be able to tell from your car's handling, but also by the thumpa-thump of the rubber flapping around the rim.

"Niko can lose health when your car takes a pounding but unlike in previous games, they won't always explode after being flipped onto their roof. Another nice touch is that Niko can now lob grenades out of the window if he's got a tail and you can lock onto targets, making shooting while driving and absolute pleasure."

Xbox 360 controls (the PS3 version is running "a week behind" according the mag preview) seem to be made up of the following:

A = Run
B = Push pedestrians/Car Camera
X = Jump/Grab ledge

RB = Cover
LB = Call Taxi
LT = Lock-on
RT = Shoot

"In GTA IV, it's strongly implied that Niko's got some kind of military training, and the shooting's been rejigged to reflect this," GamesMaster says.

"Holding LT (left trigger) locks onto enemies - then you can push up or down on the right analogue stick to go for the head, hand, knee or groin shot. The reticule shows how much health your target's got left, too.

"Press RB and Nico will snap to any cover he's near," the preview continues. "Point the camera at another bit of cover and Nico will either run and slide or forwards-roll into it. Parked cars are one of the best places to do this, although of course there's always the chance they'll drive away and leave you without cover".

"While you're holding down RT with fists selected, A, Y and B do different attacks - including a devastating kick to the chutneys. Use X for blocking."

Apparently Niko can push pedestrians out of the way with B, Assassin's Creed style too - and it won't piss off the police either.

Impressively, there are "two or three" sets of intro dialogue for every mission too, so if you mess up you don't have to watch the exact same cut-scene over again.

For the full 8-page hands-on you'll have to pick up GamesMaster, which goes on sale Wednesday February 13.

Mohonky

They're using lock on again? One of the reasons I enjoyed Saints Row is that is didn't use a lock on targeting system. It's always been broken since GTA III.

Mohonky said:
They're using lock on again? One of the reasons I enjoyed Saints Row is that is didn't use a lock on targeting system. It's always been broken since GTA III.

It sounds like Crackdown's targeting system (full manual control with optional lock-on and targeting of specific body parts), which is good because it's the best system of that kind ever.

Teknoman

BobJustBob said:
It sounds like Crackdown's targeting system (full manual control with optional lock-on and targeting of specific body parts), which is good because it's the best system of that kind ever.

Well yeah, but who really used free aim with anything other than heavy explosives and handguns in Crackdown anyway. I just hope the free aim is a little tighter than Crackdown's in that respect...rifles were trouble to manage.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
This is gonna sound kinda gruesome, but i hope running over people isn't as bad as San Andreas.

In Vice City/III, getting chased by the cops was fun because you could run over people or basically anything and have little resistance.

In SA when you hit someone the car basically STOPPED. This was really frustrating for me, and it kinda took away from the crazy car chases. </rant>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom