• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Twig

Banned
Neoriceisgood said:
noronoro.gif
Yes.

robox

kinda tempted now to watch one piece again for boa.

but then again, she's designed to do precisely to draw in the gawkers and i refuse be taken in. i'll just enjoy the gifs in this thread, thankyee.

<3 Chopper man
That filler or whatever was awesome usually I skip right over stuff like that but it was to good too:lol

Just up to Thriller Bark island appearing \o/ Brook seems like he could be good also :D

flsh

Banned
After a few years of waiting for the series to end to watch in one go I gave up and watched everything from 185 to 413 in a week (was at 190~ but wanted to get myself more pumped up). I have never seen so much anime in my entire life.
This anime is without a doubt one of the best, if not the best, to ever be made. What is the last episode released? I'm actually thinking about reading the manga from now.. This will probably be the only show I'm watching and reading at the same time.

Aegus

flsh said:
After a few years of waiting for the series to end to watch in one go I gave up and watched everything from 185 to 413 in a week (was at 190~ but wanted to get myself more pumped up). I have never seen so much anime in my entire life.
This anime is without a doubt one of the best, if not the best, to ever be made. What is the last episode released? I'm actually thinking about reading the manga from now.. This will probably be the only show I'm watching and reading at the same time.

Were you planning on waiting another 10 years?:lol

flsh

Banned
Aegus said:
Were you planning on waiting another 10 years?:lol

Actually, yes. I've waited for a very very long time but I have a lot of free time on my hands now so I've been mostly watching movies and tv shows and anime. A friend I used to watch One Piece with remembered how much we loved this show so I started watching it all again :(
I don't plan on holding back anymore though.. It seems to just hit the end of the beginning in some weird way and start to get even more epic.
The amount of planning this series must have taken is probably by far the biggest anything in comic form even took. How everything clicks together is unbelievable.

I can't wait to hear more about Luffy's dad. I wonder how high his bounty is :D
I doubt it is that huge though. If the highest (known) Shichibukai had a 340 million beri bounty and they are strong enough to hold off the new world pirates that probably means the government thinks no one will be able to catch them anyways and stops raising the bounty. Though he does seem to have a very different interest than pirates.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
SOoooo...when does the next OP episode (ep. 414) air on that funimation site??? Come on otaku-GAF don't let me down.

Decado

I'm at 240 now. It is definitely the most consistent and enjoyable shounen show, though I skip the fillers and fast forward when things start to drag. I like Water 7. Very cool city.

It probably won't take long to catch up, then I'll stop watching until my back goes out again and I have plenty of time on my hands :p

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Neoriceisgood said:
:lol

Verano said:
SOoooo...when does the next OP episode (ep. 414) air on that funimation site??? Come on otaku-GAF don't let me down.
The actually simulcast starts next Saturday with 415 but 414 should be on the site next Friday.

Speaking of which, Funimation now has episodes 1, 2, 3, 391, 392, & 393 online.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So wait, Funi will release episodes two hours after they are aired in Japan? If so... wow. Awesome.

Griffith

Banned
Relix said:
So wait, Funi will release episodes two hours after they are aired in Japan? If so... wow. Awesome.
If they make it available to people outside of America, then it would be awesome.

grandjedi6

Himuro said:
FUNIMATION THIS IS FOR YOU

noronoro.gif
Himuro said:
I am liking Yibis fansubs quite a bit. They translate shichibukai as "warlords", they make nakama "comrade" or "friend", haki as "willpower".

My only complaint is that they don't translate Devil Fruit powers.

But overall, these are the best One Piece fansubs I've watched next to VS' fansubs.

Stick with it, Yibis; maybe you can help rid One Piece fansubs from this stupid shit other subbers do.
I have some bad news for you Himuro....

Apparently its Toei/Viz's fault as they now dictate what terms Funimation will use. In fact, one of Funi's translators argued against leaving it untranslated but to no avail.

flsh

Banned
Could someone please tell me what episode do I need to read in the manga to continue the current anime storyline? And are there any arcs in the manga that weren't present in the anime (like the Kakashi arc in Naruto) that are worthwhile to read?

grandjedi6

flsh said:
Could someone please tell me what episode do I need to read in the manga to continue the current anime storyline? And are there any arcs in the manga that weren't present in the anime (like the Kakashi arc in Naruto) that are worthwhile to read?
The anime does all the One Piece arcs. They do however skip the cover page stories that detail what happened to a certain enemy/place after the Strawhats left. Most of them are unimportant and silly but a few do impact the story (like how Hachi and Camie met, or another one that I'm not going to mention because its a spoiler). The anime did cover the very first two title page stories though (how Coby & Helmeppo met Garp, and how Buggy met Alvida).

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Himuro said:
WHAT?!?!?!

Wouldn't surprise me. Toei's control over their properties is strong.

I still wake up amazed FUNimation is releasing OP on DVD. However, I can't bring myself to buy them. I'll wait them out until they start releasing 26-50 episode box sets or something. Right now, it will run you around $1100 (assuming you pick up the sets at discount around $34.95 or so. MSRP is $49.95-59.95 I think)) for all of One Piece up to episode #413 if everything came out in 13 episode sets.

=/

Serious Post Incoming.

Ok. I didn't want to make a thread bout this ( I couldn't even if I wanted to :lol ) My Question is, HOW CAN I GET MY GIRLFRIEND TO LIKE ONEPIECE, or at least give it a chance?

First off, she isn't a huge Anime fan, shes a girly girl and is a huge prep with a bit of a dorky side ( and a very ghetto side) . She got into anime cause she moved from another state and was too shy to make friends and go out for a few years ( middle school for her.) So she ended up on the whole Toonami Craze. Her two main anime are Cowboy Bebop, and Strange enough Dragon Ball Z. ( The one friend she met who got her into anime can get this girl to yell out "Kamehameha Wave" )

Anyway, I try to tell her about One Piece and she can't get past the animation (One HUGE complaint is how small the girls waist are compared to their bust and hips) and the whole pirate theme. I have tried to explain its much more then that but she still says it looks lame. Although she seems to like Nami only cause the way she was originally drawn reminds her of Peach Girl ( another anime/manga she likes ) Not only that... Personality speaking she is a IRL Nami.

Long story short... can anyone recommend a place I should start her at? I was thinking One Piece Movie 9 ( Movie made me cry LOL...just a bit... <_<;;) Other then that I was thinking The Current Amazon Lili ark cause of the hole thing with Boa Hancock past.

I was thinking the Arlong Ark, arlong reminded me of Cell in a way, maybe she will make the same coloration? :lol Thats how I got into OP... and that was 4kids OP... No matter how Corney it sounded the situation was deep.

Firestorm

Arlong was the first good arc so that could be a place. Thought of watching the series together? Having it as something you do together can alleviate the boring parts at the beginning.

BobLoblaw

Banned
SnakeSlashRO said:
Serious Post Incoming.
Stuff...
Not sure really. If it were me, I'd throw together a lot of the more awesome scenes into like a 4-5 minute montage and let her look at it. If she isn't interested after seeing 4-5 minutes of OP win, then there's not much hope.

Gallagher

Banned
SnakeSlashRO:

Maybe start with the "Enes Lobby" part ... where Ruffy and Friends start to invade the island to save Robin with the epic moment of burnin the flag and with a bit of the part where Robin is saved by Lysop and Franky.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Are you fucking kidding me with this Ruffy shit.

I am going to hope to god that Lysop was a typo.

(Also I hate the idea of introducing someone to a show so far in, half of the sweet shit in Enies Lobby was cool because you had such a connection to the characters after so long, especially the fight between
Luffy and Usopp
).

Firestorm

Gallagher said:
SnakeSlashRO:

Maybe start with the "Enes Lobby" part ... where Ruffy and Friends start to invade the island to save Robin with the epic moment of burnin the flag and with a bit of the part where Robin is saved by Lysop and Franky.
That'd be really stupid as she wouldn't get the emotional impact at all if she'd skipped all those episodes before.

Honestly, I only see three ways of doing it:
1) Watch it slowly from the beginning together
2) Give her the Arlong Arc
3) Tell her to watch from the beginning and go until the end of Arlong before making up her mind or it's over ^_^

Sonicbug

Firestorm said:
Honestly, I only see three ways of doing it:
1) Watch it slowly from the beginning together
2) Give her the Arlong Arc
3) Tell her to watch from the beginning and go until the end of Arlong before making up her mind or it's over ^_^

I concure. Or just start at the begining of the Arlong park and give her a brief summary or the events up to that point. Watch together, make snacks. If she still doesn't go for it, give up, it's a lost cause. I was originally turned off from the show/comic because of the art style, but 8 years later I'm still following the damn thing.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Gallagher said:
SnakeSlashRO:

Ruffy, Lysop? No, just no.
Himuro said:
I gave my friend all the episodes and this is what he says so far:

"Gayest opening ever"

"So far this is stupid. Alvida and Captain Morgan are really bad. The episodes don't have flow or structure at all so far."

He's a huge Naruto fan.

I really hope he sees the light!
Your friend sucks.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Hm, it would appear that the internet says Ruffy and Lysop are their names in German. Gallagher, if you are indeed German, or at least attached to One Piece in a German context, then I apologize for my remarks!

When they get to the Grand line was when it really kicked off for me the whole arabasta and chopper arcs. Arlong was the best out of the pre Gline ones though.

Cracked up at the zombies who kept commenting during sanjis "dream" of having the invisible fruit in the Thriller Bark:lol

Skull JOKE :lol

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I can't understand how any human being wouldn't enjoy the Arlong arc.

Nami's whole backstory is so incredible, and she's so adorable as a kid, and then she goes through life trying to save money to pay him off.

The moment where she's stabbing herself before asking for help is one of the best moments in story telling history. I just watched it again here and the voice acting is so good. it still feels epic years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCWYilPfKUQ

skipped to the end of the video and the climax is the moment where I really thought One Piece is the best thing I've ever seen and where the word nakama (or at least Luffy's use of it) stuck in my mind as something special than cannot be translated into friend/comrade without losing something.

NAMIII!!! OMAI WA ORE NO NAKAMA DAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Beautiful

kaizoku

Himuro said:
I think there are better arcs in the series, but yes, Arlong is by far and away my favorite. Arlong's my favorite villain too. He's more personal than any of the others, he messed with Nami psychologically. Such a great villain.

I do think there are better arcs, but that could also be because the other arcs came after. When i look back at arlong I'm amazed everytime. but the same would apply to many arcs.

Destroying the room (aka prison) and all the work she did under him. Trusting her with his hat. Finally breaking down the barriers she'd put up over years so that she'd agree to be friends basically.

No other manga/anime comes close for me.

Noshino

Himuro said:
I am liking Yibis fansubs quite a bit. They translate shichibukai as "warlords", they make nakama "comrade" or "friend", haki as "willpower".

My only complaint is that they don't translate Devil Fruit powers.

But overall, these are the best One Piece fansubs I've watched next to VS' fansubs.

Stick with it, Yibis; maybe you can help rid One Piece fansubs from this stupid shit other subbers do.

Hell no

It pisses me off when people want every term translated to their language even when some part of the meaning could be lost.

Why is it that "haki" pisses you off? does Ki (Qi) piss you off as well? because that is a term that is even more commonly used, yet you don't hear people saying "life energy" or "energy flow", or better yet, what about tortillas? doesn't it piss you off that they don't call them corn flatbreads instead? :lol We used many terms like these regularly throughout our lives, why is it that they MUST be translated when it comes to animes/mangas?

Im not saying that translators should go overboard and leave many terms untranslated (like keikaku), but there are also many terms which are better left on their original language. Its better to just get used to it rather than, in the words of an english teacher friend of mine, bastardize a language :lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
When I heard that it was "Warlords" I said... fuck that sounds cooler than Shichibukai. Then again... Haki is much better than Willpower. Nakama... well that's debatable.

Firestorm

Best part of Arlong arc for me was the way they did
Bellemere's death
. That entire sequence was just directed (can you say directed for animation?) so well. Luffy also gives out the theme of the entire show near the end of the arc. His speech about how although he can't do everything on his own, he's got a crew that fills in the holes. Well, in the Japanese and hopefully Funimation version anyway. 4Kids changed it to "I CAN DO ANYTHING IF I PUT MY MIND TO IT".

Twig

Banned
Himuro said:
And fuck "meaning could be lost" only idiots or Japanophiles ever use that excuse. What meaning would be lost from using warlords instead of shichibukai or comrades instead of nakama?
I agree with you for the most part but I do prefer nakama.

Comrade just makes me think Soviet Russia. Always has, always will.

In the end, though, it only really bothers me in cases like the ojousama nonsense. It's just stupid. I know what it means, even without the explanation, but what the fuck is the point of leaving it in Japanese? Ugh.

kaizoku

The difference with ojousama and similar honorifics (is that the right term?) is that a direct translation might be possible but the feeling can change. I think.

For example 'my lady' might sound right when swapped for ojousama, but lady is also a title given to someone, like duke or lord.

This is not the same thing, it merely refers to the daughter of a well off family, and you wouldn't call an older woman ojousama but you could call them lady.

Similar arguments apply to the use of chan, kun and so on. But maybe I feel differently because I learn the terms and their use rather than the translation

Belfast

I think it's alright to leave certain terms un-translated when they have some intrinsic meaning related to the material. I think of "shichibukai" and "yonkou" as being more like titles for those groups of people, not simply descriptions. And, of course, "nakama" has became a hallmark of the series.

I totally agree that a lot of fansubbers leave things untranslated for the most retarded reasons, though.

I hate when they translate something as "that guy" when they could use "he" or "him." It's even more egregious when a character is referring to a friend or someone he knows well. Using "that guy" totally ruins the sense of camaraderie they're supposed to have.

Firestorm

kaizoku said:
The difference with ojousama and similar honorifics (is that the right term?) is that a direct translation might be possible but the feeling can change. I think.

For example 'my lady' might sound right when swapped for ojousama, but lady is also a title given to someone, like duke or lord.

This is not the same thing, it merely refers to the daughter of a well off family, and you wouldn't call an older woman ojousama but you could call them lady.

Similar arguments apply to the use of chan, kun and so on. But maybe I feel differently because I learn the terms and their use rather than the translation
But you're not using it as a title. Words are used in context.

Thanks guys. Will start showing her Arlong Ark. And Movie 9. Then I prolly will show Alabasta Movie.... then Show Enies Lobby.

Then some of the battles from Skypiea and Kuro Ark Bartie Etc....

Pimpwerx

Himuro said:
Haki doesn't piss me off. I'm used to anime and martial arts movies using ki as a word. Stuff like this pisses me off:

29kwdc0.jpg

They could have very well used lady instead of ojousama. Instead, fansubbers continue to use Japanese words for things that could EASILY be put in English. I don't think everything needs to be in English, because that's retarded for something that's being translated, but there is very little reason to not translate, yonkou, shichibukai, nakama;etc.

Yibis doesn't do stuff like this. This is why they're the best One Piece fansubber.

And fuck "meaning could be lost" only idiots or Japanophiles ever use that excuse. What meaning would be lost from using warlords instead of shichibukai or comrades instead of nakama?
I actually prefer shichibukai and nakama, but probably because I read the manga and subbers use that. Yonkou I can go either way on. IMO, those three terms get used often enough that it's fine the way they are. It makes it easier to pick up in the original language as well. At least I can pretend I know some Japanese that way.

OTOH, terms that show up only a few times should be translated. Oni-chan, ni-chan, obusan or whatever can all be put into english. I think Eclipse has had Al say "brother" in their subs. He says it enough that it makes sense.

Given the choice between overly otaku fansubs and crap like Crunchyroll, I'll take a fansub. God knows Dattebayo was way better than the shit team Crunchyroll has working for them. PEACE.

kaizoku

Firestorm said:
But you're not using it as a title. Words are used in context.

dunno what your point is in relation to mine, but it reminded me of another nuance.

say she's in trouble and someone shouts "ojousama!"

the translated options would be "my lady!" which sounds a bit weird or to simply start using her name, where you lose a whole nuance of feeling between the characters involved i.e. usopp might use her name without honorifics to indicate intimacy between the two.

One of the dubs use "miss kaya" which is fine I guess, but I think that might say more about the speaker's status (i.e he's a butler or he's acting formal - mister anderson) rather than the person addressed.

socio-linguistics is an awesome subject.

kaizoku

SnakeSlashRO said:
Thanks guys. Will start showing her Arlong Ark. And Movie 9. Then I prolly will show Alabasta Movie.... then Show Enies Lobby.

Then some of the battles from Skypiea and Kuro Ark Bartie Etc....

no dammit! show from the start! you have to see how eveyones journeys begin.

besides sanji's joining story was cool, the way he left the restaurant was awesome.

Top Bottom