• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q1 of 2017 is ending, what are your thoughts on it?

BlizzKrut

Banned
yxLAqw7.jpg

The first quarter of 2017 is ending soon, and most games slated for this time window have been released, what are your thoughts on them? Which did you like the most? Why? Was there any surprise to you this Q1?

To remind everyone, the notable (AAA or games with a good overall critic appreciation) games that released between January and March IMO were:

January - Gravity Rush 2, Resident Evil 7, Yakuza 0, Tales of Berseria.
February - Nioh, For Honor, Sniper Elite 4, Halo Wars 2, Hollow Knight, Horizon: Zero Dawn.
March - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, Nier: Automata, Styx: Shards of Darkness, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Toukiden 2.

Additionally, what are your hopes for Q2? Is there anything you have your eye on?

watdaeff4

Just finished Nier Automata and just started Zelda.

So without playing any of the others it's already a great quarter for me.

Magnus

Unbelievably packed and exciting time for gaming. This Q1 felt more like another year's Q4. RE7, Horizon and Zelda for me, and they're all magnificent.

liquidtmd

Banned
"My poor fucking wallet after Q1 2017, I'm not gonna spend anything now till Jun...OH HEY LOOK FINAL FANTASY XV AT £9.99 BOUGHT...

Oh shit i did it again."

Me, this morning.

Edit: I've just realised Wonderboy Dragons Trap and Parappa Remastered are out next month. Shit.

Seriously it's not funny, i don't have time for this!

Must. Finish. Nier.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You forgot Tales of Berseria aka best Tales game along with Vesperia.

wapplew

Lots of backlogs...not enough time and money.
Oh, Persona 5 is Q1 for me, March 25th for my region, I'm so fuck.

silva1991

Played alot of games and non disappoint. yup it's that good.

in order:

1- Zelda: BOTW
2- Horizon
3- Resident Evil 7
4- Gravity Rush 2
5- Nioh
6- Kingdom Hearts 0.2

I'm playing Nier right now and I'm having a blast.

Can't wait for Persona 5 <3

Indelible

Probably the best Q1 in history, I have only picked up Zelda and Horizon but pretty much every big release has been something that interests me deeply.

I only managed to play/afford two of the six games I wanted to play, haha.

Now I have Persona 5 and Prey incoming alongside smaller titles like Snake Pass. I'm going to be in catch up mode for the whole year.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Best Q1 in my gaming memory. Bought and played the following so far:

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (PS4, Xbox One, PC) - January 24
Tales of Berseria (PS4, PC) - January 24
Yakuza 0 (PS4) - January 24
Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) - February 28
Mass Effect Andromeda (PS4, Xbox One, PC) - March 21

Will be getting Persona 5 ASAP and maybe other games like Nier, NiOh and For Honor when they get discounted.

Protome

It had more amazing games in it than most entire years have.

I didn't think last year was particularly good for games and I struggled to write my top 5 at the end. I could write a top 5 for this year right now and feel real happy with it.

RE7, Nier, Nioh, Yakuza, and right now Toukiden 2 have already made it fantastic. I guess Super Robot Wars came out as well? And I still need to pick up Horizon and GR2.

One hell of a quarter which contained what is now probably my new favorite game ever, Breath of the Wild.

Nioh is superb as well.

Will pick up Nier Automata later.

Lots of good games, nothing that was genre-defining.

I don't know. There aren't many open worlds that combine Zelda's exploration, freedom and world design with tons of gameplay systems, physics and interaction. It's pretty genre-defining in my opinion.

best period for a Japanese gamer in a long time. Horizon was excellent as well but the abundance of great Japanese games was just great to see. Niche Japanese games getting good exposure was the main highlight.

Enclose

Amazing Games. Enjoyed Nioh, RE7 and Horizon most. Getting Nier sometimes later in April aswell! Q2 will be disappointing though :(

dugdug

Banned
Been a great few months, but, I'm sad that most people will probably think Zelda is the best game to come out of this quarter.

Thoughts?

Well, "OH! MY WALLET!" has been going through my head a whole lot recently.

Seriously, I don't think I've seen this much quality in such a short span of time. No idea what the rest of the year is going to look like.

Dunkley

Gone beyond many high notes of last generation. My expectations were really low so I am blown away that even Ubisoft's game turned out to be a fantastic title in this quarter.

Definitely a time in gaming I will look back to fondly, mostly for how much my wallet cried since normally it's easy for me to just pick one game and be done with it, but this time it was pretty tough not to go far over budget to just buy everything.

...And I am still a Nier: Automata short with Persona 5 on the Horizon.

It's been great so far. Horizon is probably the standout for me in Q1, but of course there's a ton of other great new games and several great old games (DQ8 hit in Jan, and we'll soon have all of KH on PS4) that've hit.

And because I'm that kind of person, I've purchased almost all of the big Q1 titles and finished exactly none of them so far. I'm close on Horizon though.

This was best 3 month stretch I can remember in forever. Shame Mass Effect Andromeda had to end it with the first disappointment. I could go the rest of this year and not buy another game outside the one s released since January.

Q1 will serve us well for the drought of Q2.

Persona 5 is all I need until the Fall. That game by its self will make my Q2. Prey and Injustice could be surprised though.

8bit

Knows the Score
Yakuza 0, BotW & Horizon all solid, fun games and there are a few others released that I'll likely pick up later in the year. Good stuff so far.

120v

the whole run from holiday '16 up until now has been unlike anything i've ever seen. haven't even gotten around to playing a lot of these games yet... seriously i could go another 2+ years of not buying another game and still have something on my plate

Kimawolf

Three of the best games of the past 2 gens were released and two ppssibly of all time.

BotW and Nier and Horizon. Easily wont be topped.

An incredible run of games. I even got to play some average-to-good games, not included in that list. I got to put about 30 hours into Torment: Tides of Numenera (finished a lot of the side quests and the main quest).

Taker34

Banned
I think Q1 2017 is very strong and it leaves Q2 in a strange situation. Like, I don't know how Q3 and Q4 will react to it and how the chemistry will be between them by the end of 2017. Lots of unanswered questions and we all don't know if the rumors of a secret Q5 become true.

Top Bottom