• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q1 of 2017 is ending, what are your thoughts on it?

It's an embarrassment of riches at the moment, I'm trying to slowly savor everything. I've finished Horizon, currently playing Automata with a little bit of Zelda on the side, all are fantastic. I had high expectations for the three of them, and my expectations have been completely exceeded. I'm looking forward to picking up GR2 and Nioh later in the year, plus some Persona 5 goodness soon.

Thud

It ends on a somewhat mixed note with Mass Effect. I think most are still drunk on either Horizon, Zelda or Nier.

Yeah it's been pretty good. Persona 5, Yooka Laylee, Shovel Knight (for non switch users) is right around the corner.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've only finished RE7 and Zelda so far, had to drop Nioh when Zelda came out.

RE7 is the best entry since 4, and Zelda was a huge revamp for the series. Both not only important, but incredible games.

But what surprised me is, no matter how much I loved those two titles... I enjoyed Nioh even more (after beating only the first region). The combat is pretty much perfect and the level design is up there with Souls. I'm going back to it soon and will continue to adore it I bet.

I'm leaving Horizon til I feel like another open world game, and Nier is also on my list. Gravity Rush will come a lot later down the road, since I wasn't that big on the original.

It would have been a corker if ME:A wasn't such a dud. Still 6 out of 7 in that picture being good to great is quite something. Yes some people like ME:A and that is fine - not everyone can be right :D

Usobuko

Banned
OP forgot Torment though.

I haven't play any of this yet but I'm pretty sure I'll get to them eventually. Interested in like 7-8 games.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's not over, MLB is next week.
rejoice.png

BlizzKrut

Banned
Q1 will serve us well for the drought of Q2.

To be fair, it depends a bit on your tastes, you'll have games like: Persona 5, Yooka-Laylee, Outlast 2, Dragon Quest Heroes 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Prey, Strafe, Injustice 2, The Surge, Rime, Tekken 7, Dirt 4, Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2, ARMS, etc...
It's no Q1, but it doesn't look too bad, especially for fighting game fans.

I need to go back and beat RE7, and with the NieR PC port being a mess I'm holding off on it, but Zelda and Horizon are the two best games I've played this gen. On the final leg of Zelda's main story, already beat Horizon. Started Mass Effect on PC and it's slow but not as janky as I expected so I hope to enjoy it.

Overall an amazing quarter. Dunno if I'd say the best I've seen but easily the best Q1 ever I think.

lawtowler

Without a doubt the best Q1 of my gaming life. One of the best quarters ever.

My top three were:

1: Horizon Zero Dawn
2: Nioh
3: Resident Evil 7

I didn't play NieR, Zelda, For Honor etc but add them in and it's been madness.

Rocketz

For Honor is cool even though I haven't played a ton of it.

Mass Effect is well, a disaster.

Still need to play RE 7.

My choices are limited though as I only own an XB1.

So what we looking forward to the most for the rest of the year?

For me it's Dark Souls 3 DLC, ARMS, Cuphead and Super Mario Odyssey.

EDIT: And the Breath of the Wild DLC of course!

After having been away from console gaming for about 2 years, the past few months have drawn me back in. I knew I was getting a PS4 for Persona but there's so many other great releases I went with the Pro instead.

I can't speak for the quality of the big releases as I've only played Horizon but there's so much greatness around I can't remember being this hyped (uncertain sequels to Yazuka and Nier, two of my fave PS3 franchises??). ME:A being a flop's the only real downer.

So what we looking forward to the most for the rest of the year?

Thimbleweed Park, Detroit Become Human, Yooka-Laylee

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
It was alright. Here are the titles I played with quick thoughts (play order):

Gravity Rush 2 - LOVED it, the world, the colors, the characters, the flying and jumping around, it's just a joy to play.

Resident Evil 7 - It was ok, not scary at all, boring enemies with not enough variety.

Splasher - A really good 2D platformer, it's Super Meat Boy with a twist.

Yakuza 0 - Didn't like it, I found the combat to be hella boring, and there's a ton of it in this game.

Nier: Automata - Nowhere near as good as the first one, was severely disappointed in the story/characters side of it.

The Legend of Zelda: BOTW - So good it ruined open world games for me.

Horizon: Zero Dawn - Playing this after Zelda was a mistake. Felt very by the numbers, with too much Far Cry in it (the tedious resource gathering aspect, hate that shit).

So all in all I'd say Gravity Rush 2 and Zelda are my two favorite games of this quarter and will end up high in my GOTY list. I'm also very much looking forward to Rain World which comes out on the 28th, so the quarter isn't over just yet.

Q1 was pretty damn good, spent more than i wanted too and i still have games i want to pick up. Good thing there are only 4 games coming out in Q2 that i want to get, so now i have time to catch up on stuff.

Shahed

Well put it this way. I'm not anticipating E3 at all this year. Too many awesome games that i just don't have time to play them all

This Q1 in 2017 has my 3 favourite games of the generation. And i haven't even played them all yet

Duxxy3

Definitely one for the books.

I only ended up picking up Resident Evil 7, but the rest I at least have on my radar.

Horizon whenever I get my PS4 back (or if I get another PS4). Zelda whenever I get a switch. Nier... I'll probably wait for a patch and a better deal.

Not sure if I'll pick up Nioh or not. Dark Souls difficulty in a setting that I don't particularly love. Yeah, now that I write that I don't think I'm getting Nioh.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
My thoughts:
I never said Nioh would outsell TF2, but some fool changed my tag to
"I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount."
Now he is the silliest dictator on NeoGaf
Not only some "niche games" reviewed well, they also sold well, really a good thing for industry

Vinc

A freaking console even came out during it. Absolutely insane quarter, and Q2 has Persona 5, Yooka-Laylee, Prey, and Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy to look forward to. It's just an insane year.

brawly

GR2 - dropped it midway thru
Y0 - great game, but I feel burnt out by the series
Nioh - great game, but nowhere near as good as I expected it would be
HZD - dropped it after 5-6 hours
Nier - started it today

Q1 looked better on paper to me than it turned out to be. Oh well, that's life for ya.

DaaMaadNess

Neo Member
Bought Yakuza 0, Resident Evil 7, Dragon Quest 8 3DS, Tales of Bereseria, Digimon World Next Order, Nioh, For Honor, Nier, Horizon and Wildlands.

I don't know how 2017 will end up being, but this has been the craziest quarter of year I've ever lived. I'm fucking broken already and I have yet to buy things like Gravity Rush 2, Persona 5, Outlast 2, Little Nightmares, Yooka-Laylee, Stardew Valley... The backlog is overwhelming.

Which, on the other hand, leads me to think about what the HOLY F*** are the companies thinking about when they do their realeses schedules. I mean, I'm not gonna be edgy right now and starting complaining about one of the best parts of a year ever but, c'mon, july, august and september exist too.

EDIT: I fucking forgot Dawn of War 3... Holy shit this is almost depressing. Though I may wait for this one. Big fan of the first entry but Dawn of War 2 dissapointed me a bit.

Floody

Incredible, it's gave me easily a years worth of games to look forward to and Yakuza 0 and Horizon will take something special to be beat on my GOTY list, both are just wonderful.
Can't wait to get to GR2, RE7, Nioh, Neir, BoTW (doubt I'll get it this year though), Persona 5 and even ME:A & Wildlands, I can't really ask for more honestly.

Mathieran

Banned
It was amazing and I've only played GR2 and Horizon so far (still working on it). I own Zelda but haven't started yet but I'm sure that will be great. I will buy Nier, Nioh, and Mass Effect down the line. Also Rain World is coming out at the end of the month and that looks awesome too. Also Everything looks really interesting. I'm sure there's some other stuff I'm missing.

Guymelef

Gravity Rush 2: Enjoyed all of it, Platinum.

Nioh: Started the game, then dropped it for Zelda.

Zelda: After hours and hours with Zelda, more than 60 shrines, etc... I get tired of it, really tired, dropped it (and probably never go back) in favor of:.

Nioh again: So much fun, I go for the 100% befire start the next game.

Currently own and have in hold: Horizon, Nier Automata, Yakuza 0 and Danganronpa 1+2.

The idea is finish Nioh just before Persona 5 launch,

After Persona 5 I'll have to decide between Horizon, Nier and Kingdom Hears 1.5+2.5.

jacobeid

Banned
It's my favorite quarter of video games since 2007, undoubtedly. So many gems catered to my tastes (looking at you, Gravity Rush 2) and so many that I have yet to play (Horizon, Nioh).

This year is already pretty special to me and already better than 2015 and 2016 for me personally.

AEdouard

Best in a veryvlong time. RE7 is fantastic, finished it. Currently playing four freaking games at the same time, which I never do usually: Nioh, HZD, NieR and Zelda.

Creepy

MEGA

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
SG/ZH School Girl/Zombie Hunter
Nier: Automata
Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online
Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash
Blue Reflection: Sword of the Girl Who Dances in Illusions
Musou Stars
Gun Gun Pixies Delayed til april, boooo

..and obviously you have Resident Evil 7, Horizon and all that other stuff people like.

I think Q1 2017 was a bad time to go back to school. It's been the strongest I think I have ever seen in my life. The quality of the games that came out had friends of mine that would never try games like Yakuza 0 or Nier Automata, picking them up day one and loving them.

Thank you, that was literally my first thought as well.

RRockman

Banned
Freakin magical, don't have a ps4 yet but GR and RE7 will be mine when I do get one, Zelda and the Switch was worth every penny of the 360 dollars I spent. Had to go on a hours long car drive and I brought my Switch with me and I couldn't stop grinning like an idiot all the way to my destination. To bad P5 isn't going to be on switch because P4G was so convenient on vita I'm not sure if I want to go back to console only. Fire Emblem is making a return to form like you wouldn't believe and I can't stop being excited.

All I need is $mash Brother$ and I would be set for the rest of the year.

Ahasverus

I'd call it the japanese comeback, with Horizon adding to the current international domination. This is good, gaming needs diversity.

And ew, Mass Effect in that OP pic. I like the Yakuza one better.

Top Bottom