• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Official thread of HOLY FREAKING CRAP

Just found most of the concept artworks available in the game. Though some of you might be interested (spoilers ahead) ->

Samus :

Creatures :

Scenes

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
cryptic said:
Do I have to configure anything in the game to set up wide screen and 480p?
If your Wii is set to Widescreen and 480p (Wii Settings Menu) then it should do it automatically.

Farore said:
My favorite place: Bryyo - environments, music, puzzles, enemies... :)
My least favorite: Skytown [I almost hated that place] - too big, soooo much loading, the only place where some rooms looked identical to the point of being confusing...
But you have to admit that the Metroid area in Skytown was awesome. Pure Metroid.

DEO3

Speaking of Metroid concept art, does anyone know where I can find the concept art for 1 and 2?

EDIT: Found it, I forgot how awesome Prime 1's artwork was.

I thought this one was interesting :

Was this supposed to be an hybridation between Ridley's DNA and a Space Pirate DNA ?

Also, these scenes :

Was this supposed to be a kind of Chozo Temple on or near Elysia's ground, far from SkyTown ? That would have been pretty awesome...
Also am I the only one who see a stylistic reference to Super Metroid ? The room on the second artwork with the "old school" Chozo statue could pretty much pass for a 3-dimensional (and obviously more elaborated) version of some Chozo statues' rooms in Super Metroid...

1598677,missile1.gif
1598685,Metroid_ChozoStatue.jpg

camineet

Banned
I seriously need to get back into MP3. I got it at launch and I've still not advanced past the
P HW where you get the X-Ray Visor.

Happy to see this thread is still alive. I got the game for Christmas, but really just got to start playing last night. I beat Bryyo, and I'm having a better time in this than Echoes so far, so I think I'm gonna make it through the whole game this time (unlike Echoes). The controls were a little iffy at first, but I switched the Fire and Jump buttons and set-up advanced mode for shooting, so they improved drastically.

The level design is amazing. After playing through all of the Halo's with their generic tunnels and boring settings, I simply forgot how good level design can be so crucial in a FPS. Every time I walk through a room or chamber, I think of it as a new room, not just the last tunnel repeated over and over again. I put this in my Game of the Year list just because I thought it would be up there, and I'm right, it just should have been placed a little higher.

Rolf NB

Shoho said:
I have only tried Prime 1 fairly quickly...

Im wondering if Prime 3: Corruption, has a good story? is it captivating? I dont care about beating the bosses or that stuff.

I just wanna know if its a appealing world with a nice story and set of character in a non-clichee universe?
No. It surely offers more character interaction than Prime 1 and 2, but it's still almost purely a videogame. The art is great and all, but if you're going in expecting an interactive storybook or something, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

farnham

Banned
blu said:
echoes is clearly the better adventure game; if you're in for an argument, just nod ; )
Well Echoes is the weakest of the three.. But its still a great great game.. I think the problem of the game is not much the dark world.. because that segments are basically the regular levels with the tweak that you are in constant health dropping mode.. (which is annoying but not a real thread since there are health balls all over the place)

I think the problem really was that you gain the powers of samus really really slowly.. If you looked at all the stuff that Samus is supposed to be doing.. (Echoes Visor, Dark Visor, iPod Samus, Screwattack etc) Its really frustating to be in Torvus Bog and trying to get the underwater booster that will only help you in that particular level.. Or seeing the spiderball lanes but not beeing able to use it until you beat the spiderball guardian (which is pretty much late into the game)... The Bosses are awesomely made but very difficult to beat too. But thats not necessarily a con..

Outside of that Echoes improved everything over Prime... The graphics looked better then Prime... even better then Halo 2 (it has no bumpmapping but the poligon models are just much better designed) which came out the same year.. The Enemies were really really interesting (while some where rehashes from Prime).. Dark Samus battles were awesome.. And it has interesting environments which completely shit over magmoor or phendara (torvus bog was shit though...)

One thing that really bothers me about this game are the convenient tunnels and holes just big enough for you to fit in, in morph ball mode. I get the impression that Samus is the only one that can transform like that but yet there are tunnels, holes and switches across a multitude of different worlds and ancient cultures that are built just for her?

KevinCow

Banned
Napoleonthechimp said:
One thing that really bothers me about this game are the convenient tunnels and holes just big enough for you to fit in, in morph ball mode. I get the impression that Samus is the only one that can transform like that but yet there are tunnels, holes and switches across a multitude of different worlds and ancient cultures that are built just for her?
That's easy to explain. Samus' power suit, as well as the morph ball, are Chozo technology. The Chozo were awesome and went everywhere and influenced everyone, so they all had this technology and built their societies around them. If you read the scan logs, you see that they mention how the Chozo influenced the Luminoth and the inhabitants of Bryyo, and they built the Skytown steambots. The Chozo also inhabited Tallon IV, Zebes, and SR388, so that explains those. This also explains why power-ups found on these planets are compatible with Samus' suit.

Now what it doesn't explain are human and Space Pirate structures such as Norion, the GFS Olympus, and the Pirate Homeworld. Through most of those, you use your morph ball to fit through little air ducts and such that just happen to be about the right size, but there are still areas like where you use the morph ball to open the trash chute on the Olympus that are just a bit odd.

Still, even with a little bit of explanation, you just need to be able to suspend your disbelief. Because yeah, it is a bit silly.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Napoleonthechimp said:

Well first off I'll say it's just a video game. As with most games some liberties are taken with reality to make the game fun to play.

Having said that, there is a rather good explanation in the official Metroid manga. The Chozo created spherical droids as part of their planetary computer systems. Everywhere the Chozo lived they created ways for the droids to access various areas of the planet.

metroidmanga.jpg

Then later when they created Samus' power suit they gave her the ability to morph into a sphere so she can interface with their planetary systems.

D.Lo

VideoMan said:
Well first off I'll say it's just a video game. As with most games some liberties are taken with reality to make the game fun to play.
Yeah, it's at least no more ridiculous then crates full of 'health packs' in every other game.

The only parts I question the morph ball elements are when it's a Space Pirate installation, like some of them in MP1. The Chozo influence makes sense for most places, but Space Pirates? They usually have you 'overloaing' it or something rather then interfacing with it, but still, it's a perfect fit.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
farnham said:
I think the problem of the game is not much the dark world.. because that segments are basically the regular levels with the tweak that you are in constant health dropping mode.. (which is annoying but not a real thread since there are health balls all over the place)
for me echoes' dark world has always been a place requring higher alertness, but by no means more difficult, or for that matter - dreadful; that is, it starts as one, but the sense of dread from it vanishes as soon as you realize you can sustain your energy bar with greater ease on dark aether than on luminoth's side, and darklings are faster to dispatch than the average light-side critter. dark aether is trickier per se, but once you learn the tricks, it becomes your haven - many a time have i fled to the nearest dark portal when the heat from a battle on light aether had burned me. but that's not what makes dark aether the genius part of the game that it is - no, it's the different perspective on the player's routine, the sense of a twisted reality where everything looks familiar but nothing responds or happens in the established way. and the intricate interweaving of the topologies of the two worlds creating some of the smartest and most rewarding spatial puzzles an adventure game has ever offered - nothing short of masterful. i never understood the opinion that dark aether is a mere repetition of light aether, a cheap way to increase the game's length - that opinion can only come from somebody who completely missed the very foundations of echoes. anyway, i think i got carried away.

I think the problem really was that you gain the powers of samus really really slowly.. If you looked at all the stuff that Samus is supposed to be doing.. (Echoes Visor, Dark Visor, iPod Samus, Screwattack etc) Its really frustating to be in Torvus Bog and trying to get the underwater booster that will only help you in that particular level.. Or seeing the spiderball lanes but not beeing able to use it until you beat the spiderball guardian (which is pretty much late into the game)... The Bosses are awesomely made but very difficult to beat too. But thats not necessarily a con..
as you say, echoes bosses difficuty is not a con. actually, it is inversely-proportional to the player's ability to 'solve' the boss, the latter always being a very dynamic and aggressive puzzle. in this regard echoes simply trumps over corruption's bosses which, too, have a level of 'solvability', but are much more an exercise in patience and acrobatics.

as re the slow powers gradation in echoes - i'd gladly take that over corruption's 'a bunch of powers per minute, with little to no use throughout the game'. overall, corruption's powers gradation feels utterly unpolished to me.

Outside of that Echoes improved everything over Prime... The graphics looked better then Prime... even better then Halo 2 (it has no bumpmapping but the poligon models are just much better designed) which came out the same year.. The Enemies were really really interesting (while some where rehashes from Prime).. Dark Samus battles were awesome.. And it has interesting environments which completely shit over magmoor or phendara (torvus bog was shit though...)
here i can only agree with you, to the point that i too think torvus bog was the weakest link in the level awesomness that is echoes. i think the problem with torvus was that the very nature of the place required more organic design than what the geometric budget of the game could offer at the time, which brought to some questionable design decisions and trade-offs. i, for one, would love to see echoes wii-made, if for not other reason but to see torvus bog implemented to the same organic feel as bryyo, combined with the level of detailization of elysia - now that would be the torvus bog i'd have loved in echoes.

farnham

Banned
blu said:
here i can only agree with you, to the point that i too think torvus bog was the weakest link in the level awesomness that is echoes. i think the problem with torvus was that the very nature of the place required more organic design what the geometric budget of the game could offer at the time, which brought to some questionable design decisions and trade-offs. i, for one, would love to see echoes wii-made, if for not other reason but to see torvus bog implemented to the same organic feel as bryyo, combined with the level of detailization of elysia - now that would be the torvus bog i'd have loved in echoes.

The Problem of torvus is that its about half of the game, slow paced and the whole water levels are a pain in the ass to walk in unless you get the aqua boost...

A shame really since Agon Wastes were above average in terms of Metroid Prime Area designs and Sanctuary was really the best ever..

Oh yeah and I think they shouldnt have named the dark counterparts Dark Agon Wastes and Dark Torvus.. Sanctuary Fortress and Ing Hive sounds much more distinct.. and interesting.. A small little detail but they should have taken care of it..

Hi, I'm looking for someone to trade friend vouchers in the game, US version. It would be a 1:1 trade, as I need 15 to unlock everything in the game and I have 15 to give away in exchange. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll send my friend code by PM.

Thank you :).

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
People said the Pirates Homeworld was gonna be an awesome planet. But so far it seems to be the worst yet. More closed off, a lot of tunnels and a very claustrophobic feel to it. I hate claustrophobic stuff :(

farnham

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
People said the Pirates Homeworld was gonna be an awesome planet. But so far it seems to be the worst yet. More closed off, a lot of tunnels and a very claustrophobic feel to it. I hate claustrophobic stuff :(
welcome to metroid

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
farnham said:
welcome to metroid

I dunno man. Of course it's based on rooms, tunnels and etc. But the pirate homeworld is still different than most other places in the game. It just feels less welcoming -- which I assume is the point. The bottom line is that I prefer both Elysia and Bryo over the Pirate Homeworld so far.

zoukka

My first Wii game. I completed it a week ago with 100% items and saw the "secret" ending... i guess it has something to do with
Hunters ?
Never played it though.

Great game but i have to say i would rate MP and MP2 higher. The whole flying from planet to planet thing wasn`t too great and lessened the feel of isolation and despair, which were present in previous Primes. Especially in Echoes which is my favourite 3D-Metroid.

Everything from controls to audiovisual presentation worked well and propably the only parts were Corruption wasn`t so strong were the horrid cut-scenes and multiple planets layout. Also the level design/puzzles were not so interesting as in previous games.

And i finished it with the secret ending in 15 hours, where other Primes took easily over 20-25 hours. The item-location-showing-in-your-map thing was shit.

It`s a shame they didin`t take the Metroid story to very dramatic heights. The broken suit-concepts could have been something really great. Some kind of crippled fight with broken helmet/hud, minimal powerups and some cool quirk against Dark Samus would have been awesome. Broken/reborn-hero thing is old but it works...

Also the final boss was a really big let-down. Especially after some great fights like
Mogenar and Helios (Big hand to Helios!)

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Looking to exchange 15 vouchers.

3859 9210 7955 8070

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I guess no one is playing this anymore? Someone send me a PM before I'm not playing it anymore too.

Screenboy

After seeing the mp3 concept art im kinda disapointed they didnt translate more of it into the final game. I was kind of disapointed with the waggle features aswell, the first few times pulling switches and grapple beaming things was awesome but after a while you realise its not an aspect that makes the game good. The aiming and movement were spot on though, without a doubt the best FPS controls bar keyboard & mouse.

With the trilogy now being 'complete' I still have to say MP1 was the best by far. With MP1 its like Retro had something to prove and they followed the souce material extremely closely, whereas with MP2/MP3 you can tell some higher-up told them to 'Halo-fy' it to get a chunk of Halo's popularity. Obviously Retro had no qualms with that as thats the kind of FPS they wanted to make until Nintendo slapped Metroid on their lap.

It'll be interesting to see what direction Retro step in for their next IP.

KevinCow

Banned
Screenboy said:
With the trilogy now being 'complete' I still have to say MP1 was the best by far. With MP1 its like Retro had something to prove and they followed the souce material extremely closely, whereas with MP2/MP3 you can tell some higher-up told them to 'Halo-fy' it to get a chunk of Halo's popularity. Obviously Retro had no qualms with that as thats the kind of FPS they wanted to make until Nintendo slapped Metroid on their lap.
Really? Other than the opening of Corruption, I can't think of anything in 2 or 3 that resembles Halo. They're both still very much Metroid games to me. Emphasis on exploration, atmosphere, and boss battles, with some combat on the side.

beef3483

KevinCow said:
Really? Other than the opening of Corruption, I can't think of anything in 2 or 3 that resembles Halo. They're both still very much Metroid games to me. Emphasis on exploration, atmosphere, and boss battles, with some combat on the side.

Agreed. Most especially with echoes. There is nothing much Halo-esque about it.

beef3483

Shoho said:
I have only tried Prime 1 fairly quickly...

Im wondering if Prime 3: Corruption, has a good story? is it captivating? I dont care about beating the bosses or that stuff.

I just wanna know if its a appealing world with a nice story and set of character in a non-clichee universe?

Prime 3 has atmosphere. There are times when it's story suffers, but the worlds and thier atmosphere made up for that. The best thing about the Prime games has always been exploring the worlds that Retro creates.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The only possible "Halo" element in MP3 is the very beginning before Samus sets out on her quest, and that's a superficial, tenuous link, at best. MP2? Nothing at all. That was all hardcore Metroid. Perhaps a bit too much.

KevinCow said:

And maybe one of the last bits of the PH. But that's it as far as im concerned.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
VideoMan said:

Having said that, there is a rather good explanation in the official Metroid manga. The Chozo created spherical droids as part of their planetary computer systems. Everywhere the Chozo lived they created ways for the droids to access various areas of the planet.

Then later when they created Samus' power suit they gave her the ability to morph into a sphere so she can interface with their planetary systems.
and to build on that, when samus is in her morph ball she's alot bigger than you realize. alot of these areas that the morph ball can fit are completely accessible crawl spaces.

sarusama

Screenboy said:

I have to partially agree with that. I think that MP3 had much much improved design elements, in particular the level layout and the progression through the game. I found that while playing the game, I naturally went to revisit places to find items not only because I marked them on my map, but because I remembered them and because their location was in a way nicely integrated in the flow of the game. This is a long winded way to say that the level layout was exceptionally good!

But I despised the space marines... utterly! I don't see why the Galactic Federation must be something under human military control. But in general I'm sad that the move was to make it so that games can more directly relate to the content (all the military speak for example, or how the space pirates are so humanized through the logs).

Somehow I also find the music was better in Prime. There's essentially one song that I can remember (sometimes) from corruption and that's "chanting" theme of Bryyo.

The less military atmosphere/music of Prime, combined with the controls and level design of Corruption would have been the perfect 3D Metroid game IMHO

Rezbit

KevinCow said:
I couldn't decide which one I like best. All three are awesome for different reasons.

Yeah, I agree with this. Why do we need to pick a favourite, they make an absolutely brilliant whole!

beef3483

Rezbit said:
Yeah, I agree with this. Why do we need to pick a favourite, they make an absolutely brilliant whole!

This has always been my sentiment as well.

sarusama said:
Somehow I also find the music was better in Prime. There's essentially one song that I can remember (sometimes) from corruption and that's "chanting" theme of Bryyo.

This is something that a lot of people say, but I just can't seem to grasp. The Title Screen music, Elysias music, Rundus and Gandrayda boss fight music, plus the Bryyo chanting theme were all excellent IMO. I honestly thought Prime 3 had just as good music.

Arthas

Banned
OMG I was stuck on Helios for ages, so I stopped playing, came back to it 2 weeks later, beat him EASY first go. The game is rather easy, I must have been playing like a dumb ass before.

The hardest parts are the puzzles. And by hard, I mean they are easy.

Screenboy

KevinCow said:

What about when
you have to protect 'bomb' marines on the Pirate Homeworld?

Im not saying Prime 2/3 are bad games, I actually quite liked Prime 2's dark world and its difficulty, its just to me Prime 1 felt more like Metroid and 2 & 3 felt too westernized.

Prime 3 was such a cocktease though letting you press all the buttons inside the cockpit of Samus' ship but they had no purpose!

Threi

notag
beef3483 said:
This is something that a lot of people say, but I just can't seem to grasp. The Title Screen music, Elysias music, Rundus and Gandrayda boss fight music, plus the Bryyo chanting theme were all excellent IMO. I honestly thought Prime 3 had just as good music.

The Rhundas battle theme has been the only music in ANY Metroid game to actually pump me up for a fight.

KevinCow

Banned
Screenboy said:
What about when
you have to protect 'bomb' marines on the Pirate Homeworld?
That felt decidedly unlike Metroid, sure. I can name several parts of Corruption that felt very unlike Metroid. But other than the opening, none of them felt particularly like Halo.

I'd agree Corruption felt more westernized, but I absolutely don't see it in Echoes. Echoes felt, to me, like they pushed further away from the norm and focused more heavily on the exploration and puzzles and bosses.

Nobiru said:
how long is this game roughly? wondering if i should tackle this game or a couple other ones first if this one is really long.
First time through I beat it in about 14 hours. Later playthroughs have been 7 to 9 hours, depending on the difficulty.

nli10

Thought you guys might want to know (like to know felt wrong) that after year end Metroid Prime 3 Wii hasn't sold 100,000 copies in the UK yet.

list of titles that have, it's got 17 Wii titles on there but no Metroids. :(

I find it odd that this series has never taken off in the UK, even with the TV adverts it's never really trouble the Wii top 30.

The Hermit

KevinCow said:
Echoes felt, to me, like they pushed further away from the norm and focused more heavily on the exploration and puzzles and bosses.

Le fuck? Exploration, puzzles and bosses ARE the norm.

Anyway, Echoes felt too stretched because of the dark world and the invisible key hunting... Metroid Prime is THE best Metroid game 3d or 2d.

Corruption was the 3d version of Fusion, different, but very very cool.

Grampasso

Screenboy said:
Prime 3 was such a cocktease though letting you press all the buttons inside the cockpit of Samus' ship but they had no purpose!
Eh, you can listen to Iwata's secret message if you push the four symbols in the right sequence...

KevinCow

Banned
Baiano19 said:
Le fuck? Exploration, puzzles and bosses ARE the norm.

Anyway, Echoes felt too stretched because of the dark world and the invisible key hunting... Metroid Prime is THE best Metroid game 3d or 2d.

Corruption was the 3d version of Fusion, different, but very very cool.
Er, I meant from the norm of western games. Not the norm of Metroid.

sarusama

beef3483 said:

Okay, I admit the title music is awesome (I can't count how many times I watched the youtube video of it before the game came out... although somehow I'm a little sad they broke the trend of the traditional Metroid song for the last one). But I felt apart from boss battles the songs were all waaaaay to ambienty and a bit devoid of melody. This is something that is already very obvious going from super to prime in that prime was already very ambient-sounding, but Prime had Tallon Overworld (theme 1 & 2), Phendrana Drifts (1 & 2), Sunken Frigate, Magmoor that sported some nice tunes/rythmes/melodies.

Top Bottom