• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 1.70 patch notes

Shin-Ra

Um, have you ever compared the size of the lights on the two controllers. Unsurprisingly, the one that is 100x bigger seems to be the one getting the complaints.
I didn't realise you could dim the light bar before this update. /s

What if dim is dimmer than light reflected off other things in the room?

RedAssedApe

Banned
I use PlayStation Media Server on my MacBook Pro (which works via DLNA) to stream video content to my PS3, and it's great. It'll sometimes have issues when I get file types that need major transcoding or that are big, but for the most part, it works very well.

Did you try media streaming over a wireless network? If so, that might be the issue. I run everything via ethernet, so it's got a far more stable connection.

yup. even plex web with ps4 (ui navigation issues aside) works well for me while we wait for real DLNA support.

ps3's wireless network adapter (at least the phat version) was too slow to support high quality streaming when i used to use PMS. had to switch to wired to have enough bandwidth to stream these videos without stuttering. so maybe that's the issue he's running into.

Yoday

New DUALSHOCK 4 Options: New light bar settings have been added for DUALSHOCK 4, allowing you to change it to Bright, Medium or Dim in the Settings menu. The touchpad has also been updated, allowing you to navigate the on-screen keyboard using the DUALSHOCK 4 touchpad.
This is awesome, if will make typing a lot easier... I hope!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EOWBKE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have the android version of that (it is missing the ESC key though, which is kind of a pain), and it works perfectly with the PS4. I would highly recommend something like this.

I always hate telling people to "buy something extra to get basic functionality" but the light bar functions as player number as well. I don't think they'll ever disable it entirely. My advice is get a cheap decal and stick it over it. I think it actually improves the look of the controller and I believe someone confirmed the LED is not the thing draining the battery (anyone confirm?)

BjMRf1sIUAA8_Py.jpg

This is a nice beefy update, plenty of stuff on the list. Could be more obviously and I'd like more, but a beef burger is just as good as a steak when you're starving. Or something.

Jomjom

Banned
The video app? That is BS if true, because they never released it on Android.

Yup if you go to Amazon customer service, they will always tell you they are working on the Android one. I think some people even got a discount for Prime by complaining that they couldn't access it through their Android device.

Namikaze

You can already do this with any mic right? Or are they adding capabilities only for the camera's mic?

Yeah, right now you can launch games via voice with the PS camera, a cheap mic, or any of the Official PS headsets. I don't think that'll change, I just think they're adding extra apps that you can launch to the list.

Ugh, why did people expect anything other then the share feature updates? It was obvious when Sony mentioned 1.7 and Share and streaming were all they talked about that was going to be mainly the focus, For some reason sony thinks this streaming is more important then basic functionality.

Sony needs to step it up or hire more programmers,

I mean friends notifications not being in now is pretty poor,. Games and apps all being together on the horizontal bar is really bad design and should not even been like it at launch,same with being able to pause downloads.

Just read a couple of tweets from Tidux. Wonder what the hold up is at Sony.

Via Twitter

Well what the fuck Soony...this is a pretty good update but come on

All you need is:
- Friend Notifications
- Away to sort that messy bar(FOLDERS PLEASE)
- DLNA so I can stop using my 360 to watch Movies
- Background changes

Quasar

Yeah, right now you can launch games via voice with the PS camera, a cheap mic, or any of the Official PS headsets. I don't think that'll change, I just think they're adding extra apps that you can launch to the list.

I wonder when they will enable voice control of apps, like netflix. Voice search for video content will be the in thing this holiday season.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Just read a couple of tweets from Tidux. Wonder what the hold up is at Sony.

Via Twitter

He "feels", I assume he is getting some iffy second hand information off someone because while it is nice to have some hints, most of the things he hyped up with 1.70 haven't really appeared and this is coming to light just before its release. Surely features would have been locked down more than a few hours before it was to go live, he hinted at friends notifications multiple times along with other features.

I don't know who he is talking to, but his frustration at Sony is really his own fault, unless something is confirmed to be coming in an update and not just "running at Sony" then going on to tell others just wastes peoples time and gets them excited for nothing.

Namikaze

I wonder when they will enable voice control of apps, like netflix. Voice search for video content will be the in thing this holiday season.

Seems to me like this could be in 1.70 based off their wording in the patch notes. Guess we'll find out tomorrow!

Bradf50

He "feels", I assume he is getting some iffy second hand information off someone because while it is nice to have some hints, most of the things he hyped up with 1.70 haven't really appeared and this is coming to light just before its release. Surely features would have been locked down more than a few hours before it was to go live, he hinted at friends notifications multiple times along with other features.

I don't know who he is talking to, but his frustration at Sony is really his own fault, unless something is confirmed to be coming in an update and not just "running at Sony" then going on to tell others just wastes peoples time and gets them excited for nothing.

I definitely agree on that.

So many eternal optimists suggesting Sony is going to have another firmware around E3. It took them 6 months to get out the first one.

Tidux said:
Yeah i feel they moved a lot och features to have something to show of at E3

Show off friends notifications at E3? Really? I smell bullshit.

Schrade

Keep in mind that they don't always list all the things changed in the firmware. Gotta find all the hidden features!

I still miss DLNA though :( And my beautiful MP4/MP3 player's earthrise visualizer. Goddamn imagine that being upgraded for PS4.

Marc

Wow, a feature I will use! The dim settings hopefully will save some of the awful battery life and not blind me or reflect off the TV. Trophy sorting could be handy.

Kudos Sony!

Now just need DLNA, background colours, themes, download pause and about a hundred other things but at the rate they are going this should all come pretty SOON....

Y

Albo

I always hate telling people to "buy something extra to get basic functionality" but the light bar functions as player number as well. I don't think they'll ever disable it entirely. My advice is get a cheap decal and stick it over it. I think it actually improves the look of the controller and I believe someone confirmed the LED is not the thing draining the battery (anyone confirm?)

BjMRf1sIUAA8_Py.jpg

The opposite according to this thread

Didn't even think of doing this. I just did the reading.

With LED on .08A (stable)
With LED off . 03A to .04A (variable)

The DS4 has a 1000mAh Li-ion battery therefore the idle battery life would be calculated as:

LED enabled: (1000/80) = 12.5 hours
LED disabled: (1000/40) to (1000/30) = 25 to 33.3 hours

Oh no you are right on the 13 hours but I read the question as "how long did it take the LED controller to drain 1 bar" therefore 2/3 bars left. Which took ~4.5 hours and you stated it in your OP. Steel you can also update the OP that the LED disabled controller died sometime last night. It was at 1 bar at just past midnight last night, and when I checked on it at 10am it was dead. So the LED disabled controller lasted somewhere between 26 and 36 hours of idle operation. I must admit though yesterday I setup my xbox one and it powered off my PS4 and also the controller. Therefore I had to restart the system and relink the controller for the test. My test is not scientific in anyway but the controller was off for a maximum of 1 minute after I discovered I had accidentally pulled the power for the PS4.

The actual time that the LED enabed DS4 lasted was between 13 and 15 hours. It was down to one bar, I left for 2 hours came back to check on it and it was dead.

Danlord

Note that I am extremely happy with this update, and I understand that the development of the OS will take time and resources.

I wonder, if Tidux is right that some features may have been surpressed for E3 would be plausible.

If they were to announce a firmware update on-stage, what would there be?
  • PlayStation Now is launching in the US this year, so they'll want to showcase the app for PS4 and would be part of the update.
  • YouTube integration, including integration with SHAREfactory to upload directly to YouTube.
  • Suspend / Resume would be a big feature to talk about, and I would imagine it would have taken a long while to get up and running, especially with stability incase to not lose data when using it or expect huge backlashes from frustrated gamers losing progress.
  • DLNA support is a very requested feature, so I'm sure to get the crowd "woo" ing them, it'd be a nice bulletpoint to add.
  • Dat stability

Just a thought, but I could totally see that happening, but like I have said I am incredibly happy with the update, now I can free GB's of screenshots and videos I've captured - mostly of InFamous :)

OneUh8

This is a very nice update. They can't do anything all at once. I bet we will hear about the next big update at E3 possibly.

Sean

Banned
Honestly I'm amazed some people think this is a poor update. I'd rather have this stuff than DLNA. Sharefactory in particular looks really impressive. Biggest feature the PS4 is missing now IMO is suspend/resume, but I have a feeling they're saving that for 2.0 and a big E3 announcement (complete guess though).

It would've been a nice update if it were released back in January, but after six months I expected a lot more. There's a few welcome tweaks here (dimming the lightbar, better Twitch quality) but nothing that really changes your experience with the system.

I didn't see many PS4 owners clamoring for SHAREfactory for example. Nobody wants to actually edit videos on their gaming console, they just want to quickly trim and share ~20 seconds of a funny glitch. If you're serious about producing something nice with special effects, transitions, and custom audio, you're just going to export it to PC and edit things there. So even if SHAREfactory ends up being a solid app, it's just a total waste of resources as far as I'm concerned.

There's dozens of very basic things like friend notifications and better organization (folders and sorting) that should've had priority over the stuff in this update.

But, the one thing I always go back to is this: More options > Less options

You should be able to go to that list, hit Option, and select how you want it sorted.
Thats probably best, shouldn't be too hard as well.

Would be cool if the gave us more customization and we could create another list or folder for just Clan members or family and such.

Russell

What about those of us who don't care about "sharing" or "streaming?"

Where's the Deep Color support?

Where's the option to select Super White?

Where's the YouTube app?

For those of us who use the browser, where's the Flash support?

Where's the fix that fixes the RGB Range issue?

Justified

Where's the YouTube app?

2.00??

Where's the YouTube app?

I assume that's limited to a small subset of users? I have no issues.

VanWinkle

Where's the YouTube app?

Not in this firmware update. I'm not sure if you realize this, but they can't put every feature that every person wants in one firmware update.

spwolf

The opposite according to this thread

yeah, thats not science... i would expect to see no big change at all... DS4 has bigger batter than DS3 (2x bigger), but it also has music/sound/chat streaming which is likely what spends more battery than DS3. If you tried to bluetooth stream from your phone to somewhere, you would see how fast the battery drains there.

Top Bottom