• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

EGOMON

All the improvements that comes with the 2018 revision doesn't worth that ugly front-end my god Ford you ruined your perfect design.
2017 it is thanks ford

Necrovex

As someone who expects to become a shade tree mechanic when I get my Lincoln Towncar, are there any valuable resources online I can peruse to better understand how to do basic tuneups for my future car?

How's the E92 M3? Should I look into adding one to my stable? Finally sold my B5 S4 today. Thinking about snagging a 335i/135i as a daily beater but not sure if there's anything else I should look at.

I love it.
It's currently hibernating for the winter as the PSS don't like any temps under 40 degrees.

The only thing you have to look out for is Rod Bearings.
I am probably going to get mine done in the spring time just for peace of mind.

matmanx1

What kind of dirty are we talking about?

Real filthy mess or the fun kind of dirty?

If it's the second one, I'm sure we won't mind haha.

Honestly I'm more concerned about the neon green tires.

Radiation filled tires + a Cars and Coffee crowd... that's a recipe for a radioactive disaster.

LOL! Yeah, that's a huuuuge problem waiting to happen ;-)

Pinewood

Here's a filthy ass snap
FroUByN.jpg
The car was washed last monday

In other news, you know how on most cars the dash tells you on which side the tank is? Not an Alfa, first time I went to a station I figured its relatively on the side the indicator is on the dash (middle left), I was wrong.

SliChillax

I was wondering yesterday, regarding the new Mustang, how can a designer fuck up that badly on a facelift? As an automotive design student this question gets asked so often. Then I took a look at the new official pics of the car and there were also the official renderings of the facelift.

New-Mustang-18-12.jpg

New-Mustang-18-13.jpg

Looks quite badass on paper imo and I can see a strong inspiration from the Ford GT. This scares me a lot when it's time for me to actually design something that will get produced. It's hard to tell if a car that looks awesome on paper, will end up being horseshit in real life.

paskowitz

I was wondering yesterday, regarding the new Mustang, how can a designer fuck up that badly on a facelift? As an automotive design student this question gets asked so often. Then I took a look at the new official pics of the car and there were also the official renderings of the facelift.

New-Mustang-18-12.jpg

New-Mustang-18-13.jpg

Looks quite badass on paper imo and I can see a strong inspiration from the Ford GT. This scares me a lot when it's time for me to actually design something that will get produced. It's hard to tell if a car that looks awesome on paper, will end up being horseshit in real life.

This is why clay models exist. Also, rendering under realistic lighting conditions.

It's honestly pathetic how easily this design could have been fixed...

Fixed:
rag917x5es7ebwzwwzyj.jpg

Original:
rfmwn9sepbjgteh6lqxx.jpg

That's it. One damn headlight accent. FFS FORD!

Also their press photos are objectively bad.

SliChillax

This is why clay models exist. Also, rendering under realistic lighting conditions.

Fixed:
rag917x5es7ebwzwwzyj.jpg

Original:
rfmwn9sepbjgteh6lqxx.jpg

You beat me to the photoshop haha I also did a quick fix

hpoc3sK.jpg

Seen that before. It's hilarious how nothing can fix the hideous 996 egg lights.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.: now that I've owned a 986 for some time, those lights have definitely grown on me.

A lame cover like that definitely isn't a solution though. If you own a 996 gen 911 and don't like the lights, for god's sake just take the L and buy a 997.

SliChillax

I didn't realize people had a problem with the 996? I find it more interesting than the incredibly dull 997.1. They made things a bit more exciting with the 997.2 and then perfected the formula again with the 991 but the 996 was far from ugly imo.

I didn't realize people had a problem with the 996? I find it more interesting than the incredibly dull 997.1. They made things a bit more exciting with the 997.2 and then perfected the formula again with the 991 but the 997 was far from ugly imo.

Yup, it took me a while. But I really like the 996 now. Especially the 4s.

paskowitz

hpoc3sK.jpg

In both our fixes, the front headlight aligns with angle of the crease of the front brake intake. I just don't get how they didn't see that. This design will work better with dark colors, where the headlight just kinda blends in.

Side note. Since you said you were an automotive design student. See if you can fake a press pass (it is really easy) for an Autoshow like NY, LA or Detroit. Lots of top designers come for business meetings and it is a great place to network. There are few other events when you can bump into Jason Castriota, Ian Callum and Jon Ikeda on the same day.

Also, the 996 isn't bad. Easy to "fix" if you want.

SliChillax

In both our fixes, the front headlight aligns with angle of the crease of the front brake intake. I just don't get how they didn't see that. This design will work better with dark colors, where the headlight just kinda blends in.

Side note. Since you said you were an automotive design student. See if you can fake a press pass (it is really easy) for an Autoshow like NY, LA or Detroit. Lots of top designers come for business meetings and it is a great place to network. There are few other events when you can bump into Jason Castriota, Ian Callum and Jon Ikeda on the same day.

Also, the 996 isn't bad. Easy to "fix" if you want.

I study in Turin, Italy so I don't know how to do that lol. Also that 996 fix might only fool someone who knows nothing about Porsches. Since you mentioned auto shows, anyone here going to Geneva? I'm going with a few friends and anyone is welcome to join.

paskowitz

I study in Turin, Italy so I don't know how to do that lol. Also that 996 fix might only fool someone who knows nothing about Porsches. Since you mentioned auto shows, anyone here going to Geneva? I'm going with a few friends and anyone is welcome to join.

No joke... start a design blog, apply for a press pass, get accepted (you will), profit?

No Love

Banned
Just drove a 991.2 C2S. The steering feel is spot-on, feels phenomenal. Also very easy to rotate with that big turbo torque kicking in with just a quick jab of the gas.

I was pretty disappointed by the interior quality. Maybe it needed to be optioned up with leather add-ons.

boltz

Fixed:
rag917x5es7ebwzwwzyj.jpg

Original:
rfmwn9sepbjgteh6lqxx.jpg

hpoc3sK.jpg

The new headlights have started to grow on me a bit, but yeah, your photoshops of making the headlights not sleepy look much better still. Overall I like the new look - it looks a bit sharper and more defined.

sgjackson

the new mustang is growing on me with the official product shots but i still think i prefer the 15-17.

Got any updates for us?

mechanic flaked on the 327, we never got an offer. not really surprised to be honest.

dad's got an old international scout so he's back to thinking about that again. he's got project add since he's retired.

paskowitz

Going back to their design sketches, the new headlight works when the front grille is proportioned differently. I can see what they were going for, but like SliChillax, what is in a sketch doesn't always make it to production in the same light.

2018-mustang-design-sketch-06.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I've seldom seen a bigger overreaction than mustanggrillgate. Looks fine to me. I can't pick it out of a lineup. Mustangs have been mostly ugly since the sixties and the fastback so the fact that they are relatively handsome now is a bonus. Really the cars are just containers for a ridiculous range of engines.

I've seldom seen a bigger overreaction than mustanggrillgate. Looks fine to me. I can't pick it out of a lineup. Mustangs have been mostly ugly since the sixties and the fastback so the fact that they are relatively handsome now is a bonus. Really the cars are just containers for a ridiculous range of engines.

Yup, looks the same to me.

Welcome back, by the way.

matmanx1

Agreed. The looks of a car are never the deciding factor for me. If it drives great and satisfies my other requirements for price, reliability, convenience, whatever then I can put up with some plainness or weird lines.

SliChillax

Going back to their design sketches, the new headlight works when the front grille is proportioned differently. I can see what they were going for, but like SliChillax, what is in a sketch doesn't always make it to production in the same light.

2018-mustang-design-sketch-06.jpg

I think the problem is definitely the front bumper, not the headlights. The headlights only need the reflector inside to be remove or painted black and they're fine. The Shelby will fix the 2 problems this car has, the proportions and the front bumper. It needs to be wider to better accommodate the headlights when you look at it from the front and it needs a front bumper that works better in real life not just in sketches.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Evo X

RIP Porsche GT4 resale value

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...cayman-gt4-rs-with-a-massive-40-liter-engine/

Standard model may get dropped for an RS model with a flat 4.0L

Saw this earlier today. Would be crazy if true. They would have to detune it quite a lot as to not eclipse GT3 performance. Expect the base price to go way up too. Next gen GT3 being unveiled in march expected to have north of 500hp with a 4L engine and come with 6spd manual. RIP GT3RS and 911 R values.

My friend traded his RS for a good bit over sticker a few days ago so looks like he made the right call just in time.

Getting a matte grey Aventador Roadster with race exhaust. Shipping from Florida. Should be here in about a week.

I'm still fine with my GT4. If they make an RS, it's at least 2 years out. Market should remain strong until then. It's still a relative bargain.

So you can apparently get "magnetic ride control" in the refreshed Mustang with the performance package or whatever... if that is the case, sign me the fnck up!

I don't care if the front is ugly(and if I really did I wouldn't be driving a Miata lol), just give me an Ecoboost 'stang with MRC and I'll be golden.

90% chance it was a rental car or fleet car of some sort.

Yep, and if it wasn't a rental or fleet car, it was some MB executive who brought it over then gave it back to MB Financial Services who put it on the auction block, then Carmax picked it up to sell.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So you can apparently get "magnetic ride control" in the refreshed Mustang with the performance package or whatever... if that is the case, sign me the fnck up!

I don't care if the front is ugly(and if I really did I wouldn't be driving a Miata lol), just give me an Ecoboost 'stang with MRC and I'll be golden.

Yep, and if it wasn't a rental or fleet car, it was some MB executive who brought it over then gave it back to MB Financial Services who put it on the auction block, then Carmax picked it up to sell.

Yep. I'm inclined to lean toward corporate fleet car, as well. Fields BMW in Florida has like a billion used M3s and M4s every month with a few thousand miles on them.

Basically this. Felt like I was taking crazy pills reading the thread and seeing the 'shops.

SliChillax

But the Camaro has had that since the 5th gen ZL1? Or many GM models for that matter.

Top Bottom