• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Facebook Inc is in talks with Major League Baseball to live stream one game per week during the upcoming season, which could be a key win as the social media platform works to offer more live sports, according to two people familiar with the situation.

i'm a fan, i can't control that, just like cards fans can't control that their favorite organization cheated or that their players have a history of driving drunk. cards fans CAN control the holier than thou attitude that surrounds them, and most of them choose to embrace it. the cards fans in this thread are cool, i'm not talking about you guys.

I think it's overstated personally but yeah, it is pervasive. I don't care so much about the whole "best fans" thing so much as I care about the racism. That's bad, but every team is like that unfortunately. Baseball's a pretty racist sport from top to bottom with a long history of it that I'm not sure will go away anytime soon.

My point is more that every team has their warts. And that talking about the Cardinal Way being the White Way is bullshit when the Cubs ownership (excepting Laura) poured millions into supporting a white supremacist for President. Wonder what kind of message that sends to Cubs players?

I think it's overstated personally but yeah, it is pervasive. I don't care so much about the whole "best fans" thing so much as I care about the racism. That's bad, but every team is like that unfortunately. Baseball's a pretty racist sport from top to bottom with a long history of it that I'm not sure will go away anytime soon.

My point is more that every team has their warts. And that talking about the Cardinal Way being the White Way is bullshit when the Cubs ownership (excepting Laura) poured millions into supporting a white supremacist for President. Wonder what kind of message that sends to Cubs players?

Exactly. There are no winners when it comes to who has the cleanest hands in regards to baseball franchises. Baseball is inherently a racist as fuck sport, as you described.

Maybe the Jays are clean, I don't exactly know of or have read anything that could have come close to the stuff of Yawkey, or what have you.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Fangraphs Braves Top Prospects

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-32-prospects-atlanta-braves/

looong read.

(the amount of 50+ FV players compared to other systems so far listed is hilarious. Yankees probably are close though.)
saJ6mYq.jpg

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal

Sources: Talks to flip-flop batting practice so home team hits 2nd have stalled. Union asked that BP end 1 hr before 1st pitch. MLB said no.

BP ends 40 minutes before 1st pitch in some parks. As @Joelsherman1 wrote, having home team hit 2nd might have enticed fans to come early.

Beckx

Sources: Talks to flip-flop batting practice so home team hits 2nd have stalled. Union asked that BP end 1 hr before 1st pitch. MLB said no.

BP ends 40 minutes before 1st pitch in some parks. As @Joelsherman1 wrote, having home team hit 2nd might have enticed fans to come early.

they need to make up their minds whether fans want to be there a long time or as short as possible.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i forget which podcast it was, but someone had a great suggestion for speeding up the flow of the game. No warming up on the mound when you come into the game. I agree, i see no need for it. Maybe allow one pitch to get a feel for the mound but there is a reason there is a bullpen. Other sports don't allow for players to warm up on the playing field. Once you are in the game, you play.

But that would probably cut into commercial time so they wont do it. (Which is the real time waster, inning breaks should be much shorter, if you go to a college or minor league game you will notice a difference).

Edit: anyway, shorter inning clock

Actually enforce the fucking batter stepping out rule.

Pitch clock (although i dont know how that would work with baserunners, could just go when it hits zero).

No warmups on the game mound.

Bullpen pitchers drive go carts out to the mound. (Or monster trucks, player choice).

None of this No pitch IBB or man on 2nd bullshit.

I did notice a big difference when they implemented the inning break clock and the batters stepping out rule. Still needs improvement. Saved me from having to watch denard span taking 20 practice swings though , he is annoying.

I wish the home team did BP second. I haven't see the Dodgers do batting practice at all.

cashman

Banned
I'm alright with no pitch IBB. It really isn't a big deal most of the time, so I why not cut it. I completely agree with Windu on no warmups and shorter inning breaks. Not really a fan of pitch clocks when there are runners on base.

Bull fucking shit. Few things are greater than watching a pitcher completely meltdown when throwing an IBB or accidentally grooving one and the hitter getting it.

clemenx

Banned
Manfred and Torre must be stopped.

I don't really care about the IBB thing, it's irrelevant so is dumb is something even being dicussed but all their other ideas do legitimately suck.

Beckx

Things that increase game time:

multiple pitching changes in one inning (single batter outtings, etc.)

warm ups

tv time outs

really, really slow working pitchers

replay

Things that do not increase game time:

intentional walks

Beckx

seriously, they know they can't touch the things that actually make the games get longer but they want to be perceived as addressing the issue.

so we get things like this.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Next up: When a player hits a homerun, they don't have to run around the bases. Just give the team the runs and have the players sit down immediately.

zulux21

Next up: When a player hits a homerun, they don't have to run around the bases. Just give the team the runs and have the players sit down immediately.

nah... just give them a time limit. if they don't make it around the bases in 30 seconds it's considered an auto out and all runners return to where they were :p

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If there isn't one, someone create a thread in OT about the intentional walk change. More baseball threads in OT, woo! Along with plenty of GIFs of failed intentional walk attempts in said thread.

What was the most recent one? Only one I can think of is the Cards againts SF in the 2014 NLCS.

clemenx

Banned
Is there anything that must be fixed really? Who the fuck are they pandering to?

The most glaring thing, imo is when a manager goes full LaRussa and uses 5 different pitchers for 2 innings or something but that's doesn't happen often enough to be a nuisance.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Is there anything that must be fixed really? Who the fuck are they pandering to?

The most glaring thing, imo is when a manager goes full LaRussa and uses 5 different pitchers for 2 innings or something but that's doesn't happen often enough to be a nuisance.
People who don't watch the game? Their own vanity? Who knows.

Yeah, the change isn't really going to help speed up the game too much. Plus, like others have said, I like when an intentional walk goes wrong like someone swinging and getting a hit off of an intentional ball that comes across a little too much of the plate or the intentional ball slips and becomes a wild pitch.

Friggz

Manfred and Torre must be stopped.

I don't really care about the IBB thing, it's irrelevant so is dumb is something even being dicussed but all their other ideas do legitimately suck.

i appreciate that they are atleast making an effort to shorten the games. their ideas have sucked up to this point (although i like the pitch clock).

But its more than selig did.

Maybe some old news, but CJ Wilson tells somebody why he retired and switched to racing full time:

@halladayfan32 i feel like this is a deja vu moment Matt. My arm can't handle another 400 innings / I don't see reason to risk surgery

This segways into an interview CJ has today at 11:35 EST with MLB Network Radio on Sirius that talks about racing and being now an owner of two Porsche race teams.

Maybe some old news, but CJ Wilson tells somebody why he retired and switched to racing full time:

This segways into an interview CJ has today at 11:35 EST with MLB Network Radio on Sirius that talks about racing and being now an owner of two Porsche race teams.

He retires with 16 career WAR and $90 million in the bank. Lord let my children be left handed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom