• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats with the lack of gender/race diversity in the Marvel vs Capcom Infinite Roster?

Bishop89

Dhalsim isn't exactly that popular. You want diversity, there's always Rashid.

As for the X-Men, read the OP. Capcom isn't at fault for that situation.

Like Wolverine, I'm sure Capcom would add Storm if they could.
No I know it's marvels fault for Xmen, sorry didn't mean to make it sound like it was Capcom

X-Men vs Street Fighter had 4 female characters too...

... Except it had half the roster count of MvC Infinite.

All the red tape behind the roster choice is lame as hell. It could be so much more, but instead we get 80% of the characters being returnees from MvC3 and more blatant MCU peddling. So bland.

Even if things were strangling on the Marvel side, I'd at least hope for more freshness on the Capcom side. Only two new characters there? And the ones we get returning are the likes of Bionic Encino Man, Chris "Boulder Punch" Redfield, and frickin' Nemesis?

vg260

The roster looks very weak to me.
Morrigan is the only really sexy girl there. Too bad Emma Frost, Psylocke and Storm had no chance. Capcom couldnt even bring back Felicia.

I don't think how few "sexy girls" there are is the concern here. You might be missing the point of the argument for more inclusivity here.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Capcom desperately needs to fund Tatsunoko Versus Capcom 2 so they can get another generation of characters to steal from for their side.

Marvel most likely just sent them the list of their characters to use again.

...Including the protagonist of Capcom's sixth best-selling series is scraping the bottom of the barrel?

Well when Monster Hunter isn't even represented it's hard to talk about "best selling" meaning anything.

Rathalos should be in, but instead Nemesis and Frank West. Capcom loves us.

Ryce

Well when Monster Hunter isn't even represented it's hard to talk about "best selling" meaning anything.

Rathalos should be in, but instead Nemesis and Frank West. Capcom loves us.
Hunter not being on the base roster doesn't suddenly make Frank bottom of the barrel. That doesn't make any sense.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Such an awful selection screen and roster, i really miss marvel vs capcom 1 and 2...

you miss marvel vs capcom 1 do you?

Marvel-Vs-Capcom-1-one-character-select-screen.jpg

dat diversity and roster size

I don't think how few "sexy girls" there are is the concern here. You might be missing the point of the argument for more inclusivity here.

clearly you don't know who you're talking to.

Boogiepop

Had not kept up with the roster, but yeah, that's... not so hot. Both in terms of the topic, and in general to be honest.

Also, huh, surprised at all the Firebrand hate. Thought he was the sort who'd be a popular semi-cult character. And I mean, dude had his own franchise, and last I checked people (well, people who remember them) liked those games quite a lot. Plus Red Arremer in the general sense was a pretty damn iconic enemy, to the point that I'd even say, if it came down to it, it wouldn't be insane to suggest him maybe taking a single spot for the GnG franchise over Arthur. (Sorry, off topic, just caught me off guard.)

Hold the figgity fuck up this nigga said he wants Sim, Anakaris, and fucking Amingo but called Frank West bottom of the barrel.

Capcom getting all the shit (and probably well deserved a fair amount) but I suspect charter selection is all marvel pushing their MCU shit to the top.

CryptiK

Marvel could have used Scarlet Witch, and they could have even thrown in Jessica Jones or Quake. Ghost Rider is in the game, and that incarnation of the character was only in the MCU for literally two seconds on Agents of SHIELD.
Ghost Rider is probably only in the game because he was in MvC3 and he isnt owned by anyone other than Marvel(Like the Xmen)

What composition of genders/races is considered to be balanced from "diversity" prospective?

If your first thought is "what's the minimum that's acceptable," for having diversity (or for anything else, really), then you're starting from a bad position.

It's about being better, not being perfect.

CryptiK

Then why is She-Hulk missing?
DLC probably. Seems the focus for Marvel was MCU everyone on that list besides Nova has a counterpart in the MCU, while Ghost Rider exists in the MCU in a minor part he was probably just convenient, as for Nova he is coming soon to the big screen apparently. I fully expect She-Hulk to be DLC. I don't think there was any kind of hidden agenda, just a lot of Marvel meddling.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Because Marvel has trouble selling her book and refuses to push her to the forefront.

Every excuse I hear about why they can't sell She Hulk sounds like some Stu Snyder bullshit.

Is the new Hulk book failing? 'Cause I really like it. One of my favourite runs of her in a while. :(

This. It look like it was made from a free 3D asset.

This is a great one:

pOCFe7m.png

You know it's really easy to pass off CvS2 as a great game under a real lackluster presentation but it looks MILES above what we're getting in Infinite.

I love how the character selection is perfectly mirrored with a lot of thought it into character "rivalries". You've got the obvious ones

Ryu/Kyo The main heroes
Chun-Li/Mai Leading ladies
Zangief/Raiden The big grapplers

But then you have offbeat ones that still make sense

Blanka/Benimaru Lightning Beast vs Lightning Beauty
Dhalsim/Kim The pure and chaste fighters
Morrigan/Nakoruru Leading ladies from their respective series or innocent purity vs dark and sexy.

Infinite's roster just looks so random in comparison.

Well for the Marvel side they're mainly using MCU characters, which they've been slow to add diversity to until recently.

I don't know what Capcom's side is about.

Cepheus

It's a shame. Third Strike had better diversity and that game came out 18 years ago. Three black characters, characters from every continent except Oceania/Antarctica, four girls and one non-binary character. There were 20 characters in that game and 30 in the MvCI roster. No excuses.

Is it easy? What's wrong with the presentation?

I always thought the character portraits were kind of ugly and Capcom put almost no effort into revising the sprites for their characters. Most of them are either ripped straight from Alpha 3, or in Morrigan's case, Darkstalkers. SNK created all-new sprites for all of their characters, and it shows.

Is it easy? What's wrong with the presentation?

All these years I felt CvS2's overall package was a bit lazy. Tons of reused sprites, half-assed English translation (with a lot of character vs character and character team dialog removed) and aside from flat stage cameos there's very little acknowledgement of either company's history.

Yet it still feels like it has more overall effort done than Infinite to me and that has more universe-specific stages and a more in depth story mode.

I can't blame budget when they could have easily used Miles as Spider-Man with Peter as an unlockable skin, that decision either comes from Capcom not considering diversity or Marvel being more interested in MCU representation. They were even working on him in the last game before being scrapped, so it's not like he wasn't being considered.

Miles is a shit tier character and belongs in the garbage. If he ever comes to the movies then I'll boycott forever.

NEO0MJ

Can't believe that there are only 5 new characters in this game (Though I guess Thanos was heavily redesigned? Didn't watch much footage featuring him). They don't even fill a row. While SFxTKN had a lot of recycling on the Capcom side at least they were from the same generation and the Entire Tekken cast was brand new.

ItIsOkBro

everything about this character select screen is unappealing. the choice of characters, the roster diversity, the design itself, the icons.

lwuckSY.png

It's not an either or situation.
I phrased it poorly, but I just meant there's tons of issues with the roster as is. Marvel/Capcom seem hellbent on deciding on characters that would push their current interest or just using dull reuses of their assets. Something like diversity issues would seem far lower on their radar then the already low importance of popular wants of fans.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Personally, Ryu is the biggest disappointment for getting a character slot. Such a boring design from a gameplay perspective considering the volume of characters at Capcom's disposal.

You think the main character from CAPCOM's main franchise should not be in a crossover game? L O L

Greenzxy

Since it's mainly super heroes I can let it slide. I'm mostly looking at variety in terms of what stands out iconicly, which I think the game does fine in. I'm not too invested in marvel, so I don't know if there are many heavy hitters with different backgrounds they could use, besides the already dlc'd black panther. If storm was added that would be perfect for me, but of course, that's with x-men so it's a no-go.

kunonabi

Meh, MVCI has a lot of cast issues besides not having enough women or poc in it.

It's less about it not checking off that diversity checklist but just being a total failure of a roster to begin with.

Comparing this roster to KOF XIV is like night and day.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The psuedo-mouse based selection cursor, I guess? Seems like a minor point, though.

It's a shame. Third Strike had better diversity and that game came out 18 years ago. Three black characters, characters from every continent except Oceania/Antarctica, four girls and one non-binary character. There were 20 characters in that game and 30 in the MvCI roster. No excuses.

I always thought the character portraits were kind of ugly and Capcom put almost no effort into revising the sprites for their characters. Most of them are either ripped straight from Alpha 3, or in Morrigan's case, Darkstalkers. SNK created all-new sprites for all of their characters, and it shows.

All these years I felt CvS2's overall package was a bit lazy. Tons of reused sprites, half-assed English translation (with a lot of character vs character and character team dialog removed) and aside from flat stage cameos there's very little acknowledgement of either company's history.

Yet it still feels like it has more overall effort done than Infinite to me and that has more universe-specific stages and a more in depth story mode.

Fair enough.

Damn I want to play cvs2 now.

Of all the Marvel characters to ignore in a fighting game, Black Widow is the strangest. I mean, she's got the best fight choreography in the movies by miles. A character who uses super-agile martial arts skills instead of tech/mutant/magic powers is surely an ideal fit for a fighting game.

Of all the Marvel characters to ignore in a fighting game, Black Widow is the strangest. I mean, she's got the best fight choreography in the movies by miles. A character who uses super-agile martial arts skills instead of tech/mutant/magic powers is surely an ideal fit for a fighting game.

I'd argue the opposite really for this game. For a hyper fighting game, you should go with someone outlandish and has unique powers or abilities. I know we had Jill last game, but most people preferred her more extreme MvC2 version.

Top Bottom