• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats with the lack of gender/race diversity in the Marvel vs Capcom Infinite Roster?

Where's
the-defenders-jessica-jones-luke-cage.jpg

Jessica Jones' super will be doing something incredibly stupid that causes her team to lose.

conpfreak

Don't understand why Black Panther is DLC. He's very popular, with the teaser trailer for the new BP movie doing 89 million views in the first 24 hours and being a major player in Civil War. I think this has more to do with the division behind Marvel Games (Marvel Entertainment) and their CEO Issac Perlmutter not giving much of a fuck about diversity.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Because its a fusion of a popularity contest and promotional characters with new games and movies coming out(Unless you are Xmen of course). On the side of Capcom its clearly more about popularity where on Marvel its totally about the MCU and the only main woman from the MCU missing is Widow.

Marvel could have used Scarlet Witch, and they could have even thrown in Jessica Jones or Quake. Ghost Rider is in the game, and that incarnation of the character was only in the MCU for literally two seconds on Agents of SHIELD.

HotHamBoy

The roster for this game just all-around blows.

The lack of females is really obnoxious, they had more to use from MvC3 if they wanted to recycle.

What composition of genders/races is considered to be balanced from "diversity" prospective?

You probably want more than 4 out 30 to be women.

DrArchon

Don't understand why Black Panther is DLC. He's very popular, with the teaser trailer for the new BP movie doing 89 million views in the first 24 hours and being a major player in Civil War. I think this has more to do with the division behind Marvel Games (Marvel Entertainment) and their CEO Issac Perlmutter not giving much of a fuck about diversity.

No, he's DLC because he's popular. They know people will pay extra for him.

You're modern marvel fan doesn't know who the xmen are, you think they will know who the black panther is?
You could argue the same about the Guardians and look where they are now.

As said above, Civil War spent a good time introducing T'Challa. People know who he is.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I must have missed seeing a hunter in the story trailers. Interesting that it is a female hunter, I personally think if they wanted a rep, they should get Guild Marm to suit up since she is the most notable NPC in MH4.

Hm, I had been expecting the Monster Hunter to just be another guy (watched the story trailer, but all I saw was Jhen Moran).

She's not in any of the trailers but was confirmed by GameInformer:
They're joined by a monster hunter in what looks like a Rathalos armor set. The character was part of a roster leak earlier in the year, but when I asked Capcom about her potential inclusion as DLC, they said they had nothing to announce.

Later when asked if she had dialogue, GAFfer from GI said:

She did! She and Panther are good buds. Didn't pin a VO for her, though.

And later when asked how she looked they responded:
Similar to the statue posted earlier.
Referring to this:

-------------------------------

What composition of genders/races is considered to be balanced from "diversity" prospective?

Not like this, definitely. Everyone has different ideas of what a diverse roster looks like, but most can agree this is not it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I recently found out Niitsuma wanted 20 more characters in UMvC3 but they had to rush it out with the 12 we got.

Niitsuma was too good for us.

llien

You probably want more than 4 out 30 to be women.
Not like this, definitely. Everyone has different ideas of what a diverse roster looks like, but most can agree this is not it.

But it's not only about gender (which is rather easy, I'd say 50%). Race question is more important as it's harder to get the answer.

If everyone has his/her own idea of what balanced from diversity perspective roster looks like, it means no matter what you do, people will claim you got it wrong.

Why can't game devs get guidelines on what the right ratio would be?

beril

95% of Marvels best female characters are X-men....

Also how the fuck does Firebrand keep getting into these games.
He's just a generic enemy from GnG.
There must be a hundred characters more interesting and suitable.

Eh he has his own series of games, that are certainly way better than the Bionic Commando reboot. Not a great character perhaps but far from the worst on the list

But it's not only about gender (which is rather easy, I'd say 50%). Race question is more important as it's harder to get the answer.

If everyone has his/her own idea of what balanced from diversity perspective roster looks like, it means no matter what you do, people will claim you got it wrong.

Almost everyone can agree Tekken is, and has always been, taking the right approach when it comes to diversity.

Korigama

She's not in any of the trailers but was confirmed by GameInformer:

Later when asked if she had dialogue, GAFfer from GI said:

And later when asked how she looked they responded:

Referring to this:
Much obliged. A Rathalos armor/weapon set works well enough, and they'll probably sell ones based on other monsters as DLC anyway.

JayEH

I recently found out Niitsuma wanted 20 more characters in UMvC3 but they had to rush it out with the 12 we got.

Niitsuma was too good for us.

why do you think he isn't on this game? Capcom probably didn't want to deal with his shit again lol.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Disney dictates who goes in on the Marvel side and now it has to be MCU

Black Widow, Quake, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Wasp, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, Jiaying, Robbie Reyes, Madam Masque, Tina Minoru, Sister Grimm, Gertrude and Old Lace, Cloak & Dagger, Squirrel Girl, Night Trasher...

DrArchon

Defenders comes out tomorrow and iron fist isn't even in the game. There is 0 brand synergy in this project.

You wanna talk brand synergy? Look at the Capcom side. No new characters from Re7 or SFV, which were basically the only two new console games that Capcom have put out this gen.

Kinyou

4 Women, No predominate people of colour, but

oGkCjWl.png

Two dudes with flame heads
I was about to mention that. With everything else that Marvel has to offer that's sure a boring choice.

I also don't quite get why they limit it to MCU characters but then don't make them look like in the MCU

mreddie

Black Widow, Quake, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Wasp, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, Jiaying, Robbie Reyes, Madam Masque, Tina Minoru, Sister Grimm, Gertrude and Old Lace, Cloak & Dagger, Squirrel Girl, Night Trasher...

Widow over Gamora is weird but Gamora feels the same role to Capcom I guess.

Also, everyone else isn't out yet or Gamora fills that spot.

Scarlet Witch also gets the middle finger.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Widow over Gamora is weird but Gamora feels the same role to Capcom I guess.

Also, everyone else isn't out yet or Gamora fills that spot.

Scarlet Witch also gets the middle finger.

Where does Gamora fill in Quake's seismic abilities, or Wasp's size changing and flying or the Minoru's magic powers, or Luke Cage's slow unmovable brawler style, Colleen's martial arts and sword skills, or Misty's marksmanship, pure gumption and bionic arm?

mreddie

Where does Gamora fill in Quake's seismic abilities, or Wasp's size changing and flying or the Minoru's magic powers, or Luke Cage's slow unmovable brawler style, Colleen's martial arts and sword skills, or Misty's marksmanship, pure gumption and bionic arm?

Capcom: We added women to the roster!
QdZZKDm.gif

Yeah, it's a shit deal. Gamora and Carol to Cap seems like they did all they could do budget wise.

Race ratio would differ depending on the game and whether or not it's original, a crossover, based on other properties, or a sequel to an earlier fighting game. If you want a hard and fast rule, you'd base the roster on the statistical percentage of each race in whatever environment the game takes place in, but that's not really something anyone would look into realistically.

Generally speaking, you want to represent as many broad groups as possible within reason for what the game is. A game with a large roster should absolutely have reasonable diversity to it depending on what it's setting is. For example, Smash Bros doesn't get a lot of shit for lack of diversity because there's very little to pull from in the games the roster is made from anyways. Street Fighter should have a lot of groups represented due to being a global tournament, same as DOA (the former succeeds better than the latter). Soul Calibur SHOULD have more diversity than it does, as over five games there's a grand total of maybe two playable non-white/asian characters despite the historical settings having plenty. Injustice tries to have fun picking a diverse roster from the more prominent heroes, and while they could represent more (Katanna or Lady Shiva would be fun additions), they do a good enough job it isn't an issue (and they have premium skins for people like Jon Stewart and Vixen).

Where MvC fails is that it's nowhere near where it should be either on race or sex. Both sides have a metric ton of popular female characters, and yet each side only gets two. Street Fighter has a ton diverse characters and yet none of them make it into the game. Marvel has a ton of prominent minority characters, and none of them make it into the game. The roster is large enough for them, and yet less important characters got in instead.

It'd be nice if, out of a cast of 30, at least one person were black or brown. Oh wait, we did get one. You just gotta pay extra for him.

I guess if I wanna see someone who looks like myself in this game, I should light myself on fire. Or be horribly affected by pigment-altering radiation. Or...a raccoon. All of these are more plausible than someone with a decent amount of melanin.

It's not like I'm calling for a boycott of the game, but you know what, it matters to my purchasing decision. There's a lot of video games out on the market, this is one more factor in justifying skipping this one.

For example, Smash Bros doesn't get a lot of shit for lack of diversity because there's very little to pull from in the games the roster is made from anyways.

Shit, even Smash Bros at least has Mr. Game & Watch.

For the Capcom side lol at any characters that aren't white or Asian, but they do have a lot of female characters. Marvel on the other hand I think wants to represent what's popular in their space right now, but there's no Black Panther in there and no Ms. Marvel. I see that Dormammu and Ghost Rider are in there over the Netflix MCU lineup, Ghost Rider doesn't even have his own show and Dormammu was barely in the Dr. Strange movie. Marvel could just put in the good shit we won't be they didn't.

I'm not too bothered by this game anyway because I disliked 3 and DBZ FighterZ looks way better than this one.

Bishop89

It's definitely an issue especially when you have wasted a slot in zero when Megaman has already been included...

I think the sex issue is worse than the race one. I counted 18 very diverse females in mvc2 so it's a bit embarrassing there's only 4 here. Hell even if you take out the Xmen women which Marvel seems to have an issue with the IP, there are freaken 13 alone that were on Capcom side.

They should have included characters like dhalsim amingo, anakaris.

Village

I was about to mention that. With everything else that Marvel has to offer that's sure a boring choice.

I also don't quite get why they limit it to MCU characters but then don't make them look like in the MCU

In order, Dormmamu and Ghost Rider are cool as shit, so I don't know what you mean by boring.

As for the last part, so they can sell different versions of the characters to people, toys, video games ect. Your universes can't all look the same but you need to be selling the same or simular characters to get people in engage with the brand. And so you can also eventually sell merchandise of different things to the same people

Bishop89

You think the roster complaints are bad now?
AT LEAST Dhalsim.

I mean the choices habe been bad. They should have replaced zero (or Megaman), Chris redfield lmao (change to jill) and why the hell is frank included? I mean scraping the bottom of the barrel there.

They shot themselves in the foot for not including the Xmen cast.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I can only name like half of those characters.

sjay1994

I think Marvel had an African woman who could control the weather. She was part of this group called "The X-Men", but I don't think many people know who they are.

Neoxon

AT LEAST Dhalsim.

I mean the choices habe been bad. They should have replaced zero (or Megaman), Chris redfield lmao (change to jill) and why the hell is frank included? I mean scraping the bottom of the barrel there.

They shot themselves in the foot for not including the Xmen cast.
Dhalsim isn't exactly that popular. You want diversity, there's always Rashid.

As for the X-Men, read the MvCI thread's OP. Capcom isn't at fault for that situation.

I think Marvel had an African woman who could control the weather. She was part of this group called "The X-Men", but I don't think many people know who they are.
Like Wolverine, I'm sure Capcom would add Storm if they could.

Top Bottom