• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats with the lack of gender/race diversity in the Marvel vs Capcom Infinite Roster?

JayEH

Im glad Skrulls aren't in this I dislike that race. Give me the Fantastic Four as individual characters rather than Super Skrull. Im surprised they didn't shove an Inhuman into the game maybe do another animal being and put in LockJaw.

Well I think capcom rather make one character than four :p

I doubt Marvel takes those kinds of votes into consideration for their side.

Yea, you're prolly right. I mean it ain't a whole bunch out there. And as a black man and a mvc lover (love the game but can't play it worth a damn) I still wouldn't want characters to be thrown in for this reason still.

Even tho it is a lack of diversity in this game, from Marvels side of things, it just stems from their history.
But this game is made of Superheroes; white, black green, whatever that a lot of people from all races can relate too. All races can relate to spider-man (everybody had them drawers) and Ryu and so forth.

There is no excuse for the lack of women heroes and villains tho.

AAK

I suppose Capcom/Marvel can take solace that this game will most probably have at least 5x as many female characters than DBFighterZ.

Neonep

The problem they probably ran into with women is that on the marvel side they couldn't use X-Men and they were using assets from MVC3. That meant they couldn't use Storm, Phoenix, & X-23. The only female character on the Marvel side that they could use was She-Hulk which for some reason or another they didn't use. So that painted them into a corner of having to make 2 brand new female characters for the Marvel side. On the Capcom side they made a bunch of stupid decisions that I don't know how they got there.

RRockman

Banned
Man I hope the select screen is a wip too because it's so booooooooring. Compared to 2's globe and 3's neat comic book style this has no personality.

Eumi

On the one hand, I can be a little more lax than I normally might be on this since this is pulling from pre-made characters, and so maybe diversity might be harder to achieve whilst still including the characters that most fans want.

But on the other hand, fuck that. Marvel at the very least is incredibly diverse now. In fact, if the screaming man-babies on the Internet are to be believed, it's "unrealistically diverse thanks to all them new writers wot are ruining much comics". There's little excuse for this.

Christ, I still can't believe there's only four women.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What are you talking about? MvsC:I's character creator means you can create whatever you want. I wish they'd show off more than just the one female face preset though:
gBPqbve.jpg

Unless...oh nooooooo~

Orcastar

I guess they learned their lesson from all those tournaments where players were forced to change female characters' costumes. I mean if R. Mika's default costume in SFV is too revealing for ESPN, what hope do characters like Felicia have?

In other words female characters just aren't esports friendly.

No, I'm not being serious.

It's honestly kind of baffling. Injustice 2 has nearly twice as many female characters before DLC, and including the alternate skins there's almost a third of the roster being female. There's five people of color in the game too, six if you count Vixen.

I assume this means that at no point in the process of deciding a roster did anyone point out this problem, as it's something that could EASILY have been avoided. Black Panther, Falcon, Black Widow, Scarlet Witch on the Marvel side all could easily be justified into the game (and that's ignoring fan favorites like Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, and She-Hulk), and on Capcom's side you have a ton of possible fighting game characters plus people like Tron Bonne.

SuomiDude

Since people seem to be upset about this roster and how there's a debate which characters are recognizable, I'll give it a shot. I'm not that much into Capcom's games nor Marvel in general, but I've been playing games since early 80s, so here goes. From left to right going down row by row.

Don't know - Arthur from G&G series - Probably the guy from the zombie game - the raccoon guy from the Guardian of the Galaxy - Probably Dr. Strange - Don't know
Don't know - Mega Man - Zero - The steel guy from Iron Man - Don't know - Spider Man
Nemesis from RE - Probably Ken - Ryu - Iron Man - Don't know - Don't know
Don't know - Chun Li - Don't know - Hulk - Don't know - Thor
Firebrand from G&G series - Don't know - Probably Haggar from Final Fight - Captain America - Don't know - Probably that motorcycle guy with a flaming skull (can't remember the name)

The female to male ratio seems pretty normal for a fighting game if you ask me. Though my experience comes from games like Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat series and Smash Bros and I can agree that there could be more female characters in general as well as other races.

I guess a big part of the lack of women on the Capcom side is because the vast majority of the Capcom characters are lifted from MvC3, and the female characters in that game were either kind of unpopular or cartoony / non-serious / fanservicey enough for Marvel to maybe not want them in the game (Hsien-Ko, Tron Bonne, Felicia, whose presence required Capcom to make censored versions of the MvC3 trailers lol). It could have been cool to bring back Viper, Trish, and Tron, at least.

Squishy3

Also, SF's success right now pales in comparison to that of Monster Hunter's, which seems to be the sole thing keeping Capcom's lights on at the moment. And where's the MonHun character? Most likely locked away as a DLC character.
The lack of Monster Hunter is even more baffling when Jhen Mohran is in the fucking story mode. what the hell Capcom.

JeTmAn81

Capcom as a Japanese company is less prone to be affected by western identity politics. They'll probably add more women via DLC if the backlash makes enough noise.

Jawmuncher

Capcom as a Japanese company is less prone to be affected by western identity politics. They'll probably add more women via DLC if the backlash makes enough noise.

That's true but considering MvC's roots in being a main seller in the US only. You'd think they'd catch on to these things

Neoxon

It's honestly kind of baffling. Injustice 2 has nearly twice as many female characters before DLC, and including the alternate skins there's almost a third of the roster being female. There's five people of color in the game too, six if you count Vixen.

I assume this means that at no point in the process of deciding a roster did anyone point out this problem, as it's something that could EASILY have been avoided. Black Panther, Falcon, Black Widow, Scarlet Witch on the Marvel side all could easily be justified into the game (and that's ignoring fan favorites like Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, and She-Hulk), and on Capcom's side you have a ton of possible fighting game characters plus people like Tron Bonne.
As mentioned before, Scarlet Witch was made off-limits due to her being co-owned by Fox as far as movie rights go (same applies to Quicksilver). The only game that managed to include her & Quicksilver was Lego Avengers, & that was likely due to the game directly adapting MCU movies.

That being said, you are right. Marvel had tons of other non-Fox diverse characters to choose from. And while yeah, we are getting Black Panther via DLC, more could be done.

JeTmAn81

That's true but considering MvC's roots in being a main seller in the US only. You'd think they'd catch on to these things

I don't think the general audience for fighting games much cares about these things. The volume gets turned up on GAF because it's GAF. Storm would've been in this without the X-Men ban, though.

Doukou

There's a Monster Hunter in story mode as well. She's probably gonna be DLC.

Black Widow, Quake, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Wasp, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, Jiaying, Robbie Reyes, Madam Masque...

I guess I should have said movies rather than MCU, my point is that they are like at film 14 without a diverse lead. This is more of a problem with Marvel as a whole.

specdot

I'm happy for more Mahvel, and it's justified that everyone is upset about the lack of diversity in the cast, my gripe is that the game looks like a freakin mobile game. From the UI elements to the character select screen, to even the announcer. It all feels budget and not very polished.

Given Marvel's big push for diversity, them not choosing very many females at launch is surprising. I wouldn't be surprised if the female parity rule was an actual thing, otherwise Capcom could have easily picked up the slack with their veterans.

That makes total sense.
Capcom: "Can we put another female in our roster?"
Marvel: "What? No. No no no. We have two and you'll have two; any more than that is crazy talk. You want your side of the roster to look like Neptunia or something?".

Following this game has been like watching trainwreck footage caught by a high-speed camera.

Jezan

Whats with the lack of race diversity in the Capcom vs SNK Roster? :p
Most are asians because the tournament was in Asia....no? :p

Im moving goalposts but now that Captain Marvel is there I'm sad that there are no Runaways.

Old Lace is female, she could be Amy's foil but there is no Amaterasu :(

That's a bad argument when most Japanese devs include at least include healthy amount of female characters in their fighting games. Sometimes they have the one black character which isn't good but it's better than nothing. When was the last time it was this barren?

Jawmuncher

Yeah Dragon Ball Z is a case of the IP itself being pretty barren. Gotta fix the show before the game can really do anything. At least Super seems to be trying a bit.

Neoxon

Yeah Dragon Ball Z is a case of the IP itself being pretty barren. Gotta fix the show before the game can really do anything. At least Super seems to be trying a bit.
Yeah, the current DBS arc is introducing a ton of women. But sadly, none of them will be in the base roster since they came in too recently. Maybe as DLC.

Shizuka

Oh my, that's really bad. There are plenty of great female characters they could've picked instead of some of these awful male characters.

Neoxon

That makes total sense.
Capcom: "Can we put another female in our roster?"
Marvel: "What? No. No no no. We have two and you'll have two; any more than that is crazy talk. You want your side of the roster to look like Neptunia or something?".

Following this game has been like watching trainwreck footage caught by a high-speed camera.
Since we now know that Monster Hunter is a female (& is likely in Season 1), I wonder if we'll get another Marvel female in Season 1 to maintain parity, or if said parity is only for the base roster.

Granted, we don't know if playable female parity it's an actual thing. But as you said, it honestly wouldn't be that surprising at this point. As I said before, Capcom could have easily compensated for the Marvel side's lack of ladies with veterans alone (even if you leave out Felicia for esports reasons).

There's a Monster Hunter in story mode as well. She's probably gonna be DLC.

I must have missed seeing a hunter in the story trailers. Interesting that it is a female hunter, I personally think if they wanted a rep, they should get Guild Marm to suit up since she is the most notable NPC in MH4.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
4 Women, No predominate people of colour, but

oGkCjWl.png

Two dudes with flame heads

Lol what the hell is going on with Captain America's face there.

Feels like some amateur hour shit.

Sigh. Mess, mess, mess.

Is it too much to hope for to get a Marvel fighter with IJ2 production values and a wider focus than just promoting the MCU?

Give me Spider-Gwen, give me Miles, give me Elektra.

The roster looks very weak to me.
Morrigan is the only really sexy girl there. Too bad Emma Frost, Psylocke and Storm had no chance. Capcom couldnt even bring back Felicia.

Neoxon

Sigh. Mess, mess, mess.

Is it too much to hope for to get a Marvel fighter with IJ2 production values and a wider focus than just promoting the MCU?

Give me Spider-Gwen, give me Miles, give me Elektra.
The focus on the MCU is on Marvel Entertainment. Though as of recently, Marvel's been loosening up in that regard. But MvCI was put into production around the time when said MCU focus & the Fox ban were in full swing. Marvel didn't let up on the X-Men part of the ban until October 2016, 2 months before MvCI was officially announced. And even if Capcom waited a little longer to sign the contract, we'd lose any chance at getting F4 characters (with a sliver of hope for Doom).

As for Spider-Gwen, she doesn't really do anything that Peter can't, so I can't see her being her own character. Miles on the other hand was almost his own character in UMvC3 (I believe he was one of the 8 cut characters, alongside X & Gene), & he actually has a few abilities that Peter lacks.

The thing is that can be fixed if Ark plays it loose. I don't think anyone would be mad if Chi-Chi was playable despite being less powerful than everyone.
You're modern marvel fan doesn't know who the xmen are, you think they will know who the black panther is?
Yes? Black Panther has been getting some decent exposure in mainstream Marvel.

Top Bottom