• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I missing something, where's the rebellion

gun_haver

What are these teens doing?

I kind of assumed that a lot of them would be creating subcultures I hadn't dreamt of, that none of us would, and that would later come into fruition. All I see are shitty youtube channels, reactions to corporate media, streaming horseshit, and stuff about mainstream pop music, Where are the rebellious kids who are gonna reshape what we have now into something new?

I'm actually asking. I wanna see it.

They're out there meming trump into power. Just because the rebellion is different from what you want doesn't mean it isn't happening.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Fighting the power means fighting their social networks and who would do that? Maybe A Brave New World wasn't too far off.

CookTrain

They're out there meming trump into power. Just because the rebellion is different from what you want doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Yep, rebelling Nazis right back into the public space. Rebellion isn't always cool. I think OP might have just romanticised the notion of rebelling.

gun_haver

They're busy buying things and sharing photographs of the things they bought.

well yeah man, that's what i mean. i know i'm old, i'm 28, i'm out of the rebellion zone, but i was expecting something meaningful. all i see are reactions to big data or already established corporate entities. and they all seem to be satisfied with that.

OP I just was having these sort of thoughts yesterday. I was thinking, I wonder what the next 'Nirvana' will be, or whatever. Like what's the next 'grunge,' the next 'disco.' Something that puts a stamp on the cultural timeline and forks a new path.

entremet

Rebellion from what? Most teens are super pampered. No need to work (well many don't). No bills. Tons of free time. No major responsibilities.

JCHandsom

They're rebeling against giving a damn. Cynicism is the current trend, as sincerity just makes you a target for disappointment and disillusionment. It's better in their eyes to say everything sucks and life is all one big joke.

Note that this is me being an old man and looking at what's most notable to me. I'm sure not everyone is like that.

Beartruck

Hey OP I found these rock and or roll records under your bed. Are you playing them backwards and worshipping the devil? Your mother and I are very concerned.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They have become anti-vaxxers, flat earthers, or alt-right.

Peru

What are these teens doing?

I kind of assumed that a lot of them would be creating subcultures I hadn't dreamt of, that none of us would, and that would later come into fruition. All I see are shitty youtube channels, reactions to corporate media, streaming horseshit, and stuff about mainstream pop music, Where are the rebellious kids who are gonna reshape what we have now into something new?

I'm actually asking. I wanna see it.

Are you kidding? There are more genuine movements with power among teens now than ever, socially aware, politically active, educated, action before words, making a difference.

Died in the 90's. When your parents were the hippie generation and then they grow up to be just like every other generation it kind of forces you to realize that your passions wont really mean anything when you are 30 too. Gen x was the first generation to be able to see clearly from a young age that everyone grows up to be a selfish hypocrite.

Whatever.

gun_haver

the whole thing about rebellion, at least to me is:

somebody gets born
grows up a bit
says 'wait this shit is horrible, let's do it like this (new thing)'

and i feel like what i'm seeing is more like this

somebody gets born
grows up a bit
says 'okay i can adapt to this'

As an 18 year old, these feels weird to read. Young people are active in protesting, though yes it probably appears to have diminished in scope to those outside the age range, especially since most fight back online. But only last year most schools shut down as most the teens in my city were protesting Trump's education program and marching to the mayor so...

This all just reads like people out of touch and angry at the wrong things here.

Opto

Banned
I'd say the rebellion is coming from minority groups emboldened to speak out for themselves and against other oppression. Some kids are kneeling during the anthem at football games, others are being threatened with expulsion for not standing for the Pledge. LGBT groups in schools are popping up.

Top Bottom