• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I missing something, where's the rebellion

jstripes

Banned
YouTube gives you recommendations based on what you like and watch. You're not gonna find it there.

Now Tumblr, that's a lot closer. That place is teeming with creativity, if you follow the right blogs.

Anyway, kids don't wear rebellion on their sleeves like in the past. It's all online.

hughesta

Banned
They're rebeling against giving a damn. Cynicism is the current trend, as sincerity just makes you a target for disappointment and disillusionment. It's better in their eyes to say everything sucks and life is all one big joke.

Note that this is me being an old man and looking at what's most notable to me. I'm sure not everyone is like that.
as a millennial this is very accurate. Nihilism is getting more popular by the day.

gun_haver

As an 18 year old, these feels weird to read. Young people are active in protesting, though yes it probably appears to have diminished in scope to those outside the age range, especially since most fight back online. But only last year most schools shut down as most the teens in my city were protesting Trump's education program and marching to the mayor so...

This all just reads like people out of touch and angry at the wrong things here.

we always protested, i still do. that isn't what i mean. protesting against stuff you don't agree with engenders culture, but it isn't culture itself. i'm asking where is the culture.

Beartruck

we always protested, i still do. that isn't what i mean. protesting against stuff you don't agree with engenders culture, but it isn't culture itself. i'm asking where is the culture.
You saw it yourself right there in the OP, you just fundamentally don't understand it. Again, welcome to getting old.

Rebellion is there it just took some other form than idiotic street violence.

I would say a lot of it has moved online in one form or another. And it is easily drowned there because online it is hard to see if someone is 12 or 60. I mean assumptions can be made but not accurately.

gun_haver

Did you miss the alt right OP?

The youth is absolutely shaping the future of the country.

if that is the sum of the youth response then the conclusion of this thread will truly be depressing

there's gotta be more, that's what i'm trying to reveal with this. keep going.

NimbusD

Yeah as other people have said, the subculture you haven't dreamt of is what got trump into power. Def not as alluring as punk or goth for sure.

collige

Banned
They're rebeling against giving a damn. Cynicism is the current trend, as sincerity just makes you a target for disappointment and disillusionment. It's better in their eyes to say everything sucks and life is all one big joke.

Note that this is me being an old man and looking at what's most notable to me. I'm sure not everyone is like that.

Yeah, this.

gun_haver

are you kidding me

is it really that bleak

has the balance of rebellion just kind of shifted into 'oh i'm gonna be a huge piece of shit now'

no way, no.

i don't accept it. there are too many good kids out there staying quiet.

jstripes

Banned
It's there. You just don't see it because they're not active in the same venues that you are.

Also,

MhrbwF5.png

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Part of the issue is that the internet has fragmented things so much that there is no culture. At least not how people used to think of it. The next Nirvana will get tens of thousands of Spotify streams and go largely unnoticed. There are still big cultural moments like The Force Awakens or The Avengers, but Disney blockbusters aren’t what you look for in starting a counter-culture rebellion (even if they’re literally about rebellion).

Beartruck

People saying all young people are alt right are gonna make me roll my eyes out of my sockets. For every young alt righter, theres 10 more liberal leaning kids who think those guys are assholes. Every Trump supporter ive met in public has been 50+.

Acerac

Banned
if that is the sum of the youth response then the conclusion of this thread will truly be depressing

there's gotta be more, that's what i'm trying to reveal with this. keep going.
It's certainly the most notable impact they've had. It is depressing, but what can you expect given their shitty situation combined with the terrible attitude people hold towards them?

Any leftist rebellion like the 99% or BLM will be shat on by the media relentlessly, so you aren't gonna see much positive coverage there if that's what you were hoping for?

gun_haver

It's there. You just don't see it because they're not active in the same venues that you are.

Also,

MhrbwF5.png

no i see it pal, that twet is kind of what i mean.

i''ll nod and be like 'heh, true' and not remember the name of the author, and even saying author seems pretentious so fuck it tweeter

and then go on and do nothing about it, except in certain flash points when i do, but generally let inequality occur around me. we all do this. we've done it for fucking years.

my point is i was expecting the teens to say 'dude fuck off do it like this' but they don't. they're new. they should have new ideas. but they don't. they have 'oh wow that sounds good' ideas.

Parch

Died in the 90's. When your parents were the hippie generation and then they grow up to be just like every other generation it kind of forces you to realize that your passions wont really mean anything when you are 30 too. Gen x was the first generation to be able to see clearly from a young age that everyone grows up to be a selfish hypocrite.

Whatever.
Pretty much. The Boomers when young were really the last truly rebellious generation. Being cynical isn't being rebellious. It's just worthless, apathetic, whining.

I'd like to see some new groups like Goths pop up. This whole snapback thing isn't for me.

I would also not be a part of this new group because I'm dull as fuck.

We’ve standardized pre-university schooling to the point that kids don’t learn the critical thinking abilities to even begin to understand what’s going on. Then we’ve made college so grossly expensive that you’re forced to only focus on majors that fit into a career path, rather than majors (sociology, poli sci,etc.) that will actually teach you shit about the world.

Don’t blame the kids. Blame the parents who sold the world.

gun_haver

Yeah, and it's also a very US-centric thing to say. The alt right has even less influence in many other countries.

yeah man, it just isn't true to say all young people are trending alt right. it's a lie. they're gonna be us soon so don't be so harsh and lies-easy.

bengraven

They are going far right to rebel.

A friend of mine was a goth and her husband a punk, and they were awesome parents that raised two intelligent children, however one of the two decided in their rough teen years that the only way to rebel against their parents was to basically become a gun nut redneck. Of course because my friends are cool as hell they just let it slide and embraced it so that’s over mostly.

jstripes

Banned
no i see it pal, that twet is kind of what i mean.

i''ll nod and be like 'heh, true' and not remember the name of the author, and even saying author seems pretentious so fuck it tweeter

and then go on and do nothing about it, except in certain flash points when i do, but generally let inequality occur around me. we all do this. we've done it for fucking years.

my point is i was expecting the teens to say 'dude fuck off do it like this' but they don't. they're new. they should have new ideas. but they don't. they have 'oh wow that sounds good' ideas.

Ok, we all hate the term SJW, but it comes from a different place than its current meaning.

There are people who go HARD on social issues. Those tweets and posts get retweeted and reblogged all over the place. There is active rebellion, and I see it all the time. People people ignore it or block it out because it appears obnoxious, but a day doesn't go by online where I don't see people loudly speaking up against inequality.

It's not on the streets that much because we're living in a world of Fox News and Facebook propaganda, but remember the protest marches after Trump got elected. Those were MASSIVE.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
What did I miss?

Accusations against Evilore (I'm not saying they're true, mind) and subsequent threads on the topic being locked, with a vague promise that a statement is coming "soon".

Meanwhile, people are feverishly googling the topic. Hence my comment - I think it's best if this gets addressed and put to bed (however it shakes out) sooner rather than later.

Edit: on topic, rebellion still exists, but in a world as fractured as ours due to the ability to signal boost any voice on the internet it's likewise fractured.

HariKari

It's not on the streets that much because we're living in a world of Fox News and Facebook propaganda, but remember the protest marches after Trump got elected. Those were MASSIVE.

They stopped pretty quickly, as if everyone felt their obligation had been completed. We're not even talking about Vegas much at this point. If there's an undercurrent of activism, it sure isn't making itself known.

Accusations against Evilore (I'm not saying they're true, mind) and subsequent threads on the topic being locked, with a vague promise that a statement is coming "soon".

Meanwhile, people are feverishly googling the topic. Hence my comment - I think it's best if this gets addressed and put to bed (however it shakes out) sooner rather than later.

A statement is coming.

What are these teens doing?

I kind of assumed that a lot of them would be creating subcultures I hadn't dreamt of, that none of us would, and that would later come into fruition. All I see are shitty youtube channels, reactions to corporate media, streaming horseshit, and stuff about mainstream pop music, Where are the rebellious kids who are gonna reshape what we have now into something new?

I'm actually asking. I wanna see it.
What are you talking about, this post sounds like anger filled, irrational, gibberish.
Write something more solid if you want to complain about modern youth culture and or apathy.

gun_haver

Ok, we all hate the term SJW, but it comes from a different place than its current meaning.

There are people who go HARD on social issues. Those tweets and posts get retweeted and reblogged all over the place. There is active rebellion, and I see it all the time. People people ignore it or block it out because it appears obnoxious, but a day doesn't go by online where I don't see people loudly speaking up against inequality.

i mean

i don't hate the term sjw. i wear it proudly.

i just don't talk about it all the time. that isn't really what this topic is about either.

hughesta

Banned
millenials are not turning far right in the numbers this thread claims. Most people my age are very liberal, although that may just be the company I surround myself with.

The rebellion of the youth has become nihilism. Hopelessness is pretty widespread, and most people my age don't believe there's a future for this country or even planet. The environment is fucked and Donald Trump got elected. Why even bother, nothing can change so why do anything at all?

A lot of rebellion in the past seemed to be about seeing what the 'game' was and doing the opposite of that in an attempt to inspire change. Rebellion now is just not playing any game at all. Most people my age that I know are very liberal, yes, but they're also hopeless about the possibility of any positive change happening.

Edit: on topic, rebellion still exists, but in a world as fractured as ours due to the ability to signal boost any voice on the internet it's likewise fractured.

It's honestly a big problem with how the internet is. You get an army of bots/paid actors to push a post and it's prominent, it's big. And then there's the other side, where you get articles written about posts by 3 people which decry "This is what X movement is like". Stuff like that keeps people from coming together in a bigger group because it puts people off getting out of their circle.

gun_haver

millenials are not turning far right in the numbers this thread claims. Most people my age are very liberal, although that may just be the company I surround myself with.

The rebellion of the youth has become nihilism. Hopelessness is pretty widespread, and most people my age don't believe there's a future for this country or even planet. The environment is fucked and Donald Trump got elected. Why even bother, nothing can change so why do anything at all?

A lot of rebellion in the past seemed to be about seeing what the 'game' was and doing the opposite of that in an attempt to inspire change. Rebellion now is just not playing any game at all. Most people my age that I know are very liberal, yes, but they're also hopeless about the possibility of any positive change happening.

i can see that, i don't agree with it, but nice one for considering all the bits and pieces

joe_zazen

Rebellion is about creating an identity and becoming more independent and occurs on a micro/famial scale. I wouldn’t conflate that with social movements or rebellion against The Man.

well yeah man, that's what i mean. i know i'm old, i'm 28, i'm out of the rebellion zone, but i was expecting something meaningful. all i see are reactions to big data or already established corporate entities. and they all seem to be satisfied with that.

So, what did you do to "rebel" as a teen?

Top Bottom