• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I missing something, where's the rebellion

jstripes

Banned
They stopped pretty quickly, as if everyone felt their obligation had been completed. We're not even talking about Vegas much at this point. If there's an undercurrent of activism, it sure isn't making itself known.

That's because powerful forces change the narrative on a near daily basis in ways our generation could have never dreamed of. One day you're protesting about one thing, and then the right wing media and online propagandists steer the public discourse in another, more distracting direction. Now you have something new to counter, and once you have something built up against that, they steer it in yet another direction. The constantly shifting cycle induces fatigue, which leads to many people thinking it's futile to even keep up.

It's easier to protest than ever, but you're up against masterminds of propaganda and a media stream that gives them a nearly unlimited reach.

Davidion

I have my share of complaints about the attitude of "the kids", but it was their asses out protesting and getting their voices heard as a bunch of bitch-made keyboard morons decry them as being SJW.

Yeah kids need work, we all do. But nowadays I'm much more worried about the fucktard adults.

Weird question. As an 18 year old, I find it tough to answer.

One thing, though, OP: Today's teens (in developing and first world countries) ARE developing their own subcultures. Perhaps for the first time in human history, over the internet, teenagers can grow up while making friends solely over shared interest or ideology, and are barred much less by circumstance.

I'd also wager that our generation, overall, is the most aware generation when it comes to social justice, politics, and whatnot. In the US, from what I've seen as an outsider, the conservative bloc is by and large old people (the boomer generation, I think?). The liberal side is much more concentrated among teenagers (specifically, 15 to late 20's) in my opinion.

I think the current political lurch to the right in the West is motivated primarily by a (mistaken) feeling of disenfranchisement by demographics of privilege. I simply cannot see how a generation that grew up in a decade where rights and liberties were continuously developing and progressing would turn to conservatism- the parts of the internet that condone hate speech and bigotry are more than offset by the sheer volume of progressive thought. Our current situation is undue backlash from older generations.

I think we can say that there IS a teenager rebellion, but it's a rebellion of thought. Some of us believe that the status quo is infected with bigotry and greed- those of us become progressive rebels.

Others view the status quo as the exact opposite- that the American/Western/European/white/whatever identity is being challenged by the reforms that the progressive side wants to implement. They, then, "rise up" against this impression of social progress and thus become conservative rebels.

Then there is a group of cynics that don't want anything to do with politics or social change, and these often simply do not even care about the issues of morality/society/politics being discussed. This is your I-harbor-no-real-hatred-but-I-will-jokingly-throw-slurs-around-among-people-who-won't-take-offense crowd. (These people are often resented for their inaction more by the left- to the right, taking no political stance or action is less offensive. I see this as proof that the status quo favors the right.)

There's perhaps not noticeably many parades/demonstrations/organizations- but that's because now perhaps just about every waking moment of our lives, we're engaging with others and our environment: Politically, personally, artistically.

kirblar

Politics are heavily gendered in right now, and a lot of the "where's the pushback?" stuff seems directly related to this fact. If you're in the prime GOP demographics (aka white and straight and male) there's a very good chance that many things will be invisible to you due to the way we self-segregate ourselves in RL transferring over to social media.

One example of this that came up yesterday re: the VA Governor's race - Matt Yglesias has noted that he's heard nothing but Gillespie ads on sports radio when he listens to it on his commutes. I've noticed the same thing- I have the local sports talk radio as my alarm because I'll fall asleep to music. But given the demo makeup of sports radio - (super duper male) it makes sense that Northam's campaign would buy ads elsewhere.

Pepboy

Uh that isn't teens doing that, that's dudes 25 and up. This isn't a trump topic.

There is definitely a teen backlash to Political Correctness. Because the environment of their formative years was basically "conservatives are stupid", then rebelling against the status quo actually means alt right or trump or nazis

They're out there meming trump into power. Just because the rebellion is different from what you want doesn't mean it isn't happening.
This. The rebellion started last November. That's just a fact. Trump being elected was the biggest fuck you to authority that has ever happened in modern history.

DogDude

What are these teens doing?

I kind of assumed that a lot of them would be creating subcultures I hadn't dreamt of, that none of us would, and that would later come into fruition. All I see are shitty youtube channels, reactions to corporate media, streaming horseshit, and stuff about mainstream pop music, Where are the rebellious kids who are gonna reshape what we have now into something new?

I'm actually asking. I wanna see it.
They just got Trump into the White House. What would they rebel against?

Teenagers have never been the ones to rebel.

All members in our parliaments/goverments are older people. It is the older people who change the country and rule the world. This 'Why can't young'ens rebel so i dont have to' mentality is just really odd to me.

this is a reponse to what i did as a teen to rebel

- i wore make up because my dad hated it, identified as bisexual
- i had a gay threesome even though i dunno, i wasn't into it, i just wanted to give a big old middle finger
- i listend exclusively to hard rock or punk
- i ran away from home for 3 weeks to london cos i was upset

do i need to fucking go on

Well, yeah, you need to go on, because none of those are the types of "rebellion" that you're asking of teens now.
None of those are going to change anything beyond you.

Animator

Well, yeah, you need to go on, because none of those are the types of "rebellion" that you're asking of teens now.
None of those are going to change anything beyond you.

Yea he seems to have confused being a problem child with rebellion. By that metric every teen is rebellious .

emoji-movie-57-11-17-17-july-28-2017-counting-22966142.png

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
The revolution will be instagrammed.

Kill me.

...as for the actual topic, there is a lot of stuff happening off the net, it just needs finding. I visited Japan earlier this year and will be going again next year. Biggest breath of freedom I've ever had.

Why don't you organize a protest OP? You seem concerned enough, and don't label yourself a teen so maybe you have garnered a few skills on how to lead and organize such an event.

Magwik

Banned
Too busy worrying about student loans while being told you're a failure if you don't go to college. Probably also trying to make a living off a shitty minimum wage in a disposable job market.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
They are corporate tools.

No way. I'm gonna post how I think corporations and ceos make too much money on my Apple® iPhone 7+™³ on my Unlimited Connected© Verizon® Family Connected Plan™ that my dad got me for my birthday for just $255.00 a month²
²some restrictions and details may apply.
³does not come in green.

Actually, the real sexual rebellion these days would be married consensual sex for the purposes of procreation.
That would definitely be counter-culture.

DarkKyo

and i feel like what i'm seeing is more like this

somebody gets born
grows up a bit
says 'okay i can adapt to this'

That's not exclusive to this generation though. The idea is to make entertainment and food cheap and accessible enough that the oppressed can have enough comforts to fall back upon that generally look a lot more appealing than getting shot in the streets fighting for their rights.

Parch

For teens, pissing off dad is their definition of rebellion.
It doesn't really matter if they actually like something or not, but they absolutely must hate everything their parents like.
Oooo. So edgy. So rebellious.

Every generation does it. The sooner they learn that snarky, faux rebellious attitudes is only making them look stupid, the closer they are to actual maturity.

Rebels are just attention whores who want to get laid.
Kids from now don't want to get laid anymore. They have the internet. All that old-timer shit like success, sex-drive, becoming a punker, rebellion, etc is being frowned upon now.
No more generational gap. Shit just doesn't matter. Being insignificant is being free.

Basically these kids say "fuck you" to rebellion, because it's so embarrassingly stupid to rebel against something that is perfectly fine to begin with. They don't want to be the next pathetic Kurt Cobain or Jim Morrison.

Let's hope they do rebel against injustice and stuff like that.

yes, i'm just talking completely out of my ass here. For fun.

Top Bottom