• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I missing something, where's the rebellion

Like many other things today, teenagers have been polarized along racial lines.

It is true that many white male teens have been co-opted by corporate America and hate groups to "rebel" against liberals, women, and people of color who hold no actual power in society.

However, many women and teens of color are out there doing great things (as are some of their white male allies) in the Trump era and participating in a level of activism not seen since Vietnam.

Don't allow the Enemy to hide what the good people are doing.

For teens, pissing off dad is their definition of rebellion.
It doesn't really matter if they actually like something or not, but they absolutely must hate everything their parents like.
Oooo. So edgy. So rebellious.

Every generation does it. The sooner they learn that snarky, faux rebellious attitudes is only making them look stupid, the closer they are to actual maturity.

This. Exactly this. I cringe at my teenage self. Christ.

jabuseika

What about them 90s and 80s teens, why didn't you stick it to the Man?

Oh wait, they're the ones that think they solved everything already, but really all you did was scream really loud.

Ogodei

Died in the 90's. When your parents were the hippie generation and then they grow up to be just like every other generation it kind of forces you to realize that your passions wont really mean anything when you are 30 too. Gen x was the first generation to be able to see clearly from a young age that everyone grows up to be a selfish hypocrite.

Whatever.

The Woodstock generation was also the Trump generation (same generation, in fact, he was 22/23 in 1969). But what you're seeing there is the silent-majority effect come into play. Many Boomers did actually go from hippie to pro-Klan, but most of them were already that way and it simply manifested more in old age, encouraged by Fox News and the belief that it's okay to be conservative when you're old but not when you're young.

The fringe elements of youthful counterculture burn out, but the Boomers brought us stuff like the Sexual Revolution and bringing illegal drugs into cultural vogue in a way that it was hard for reactionaries to tamp down. Sure the War on Drugs followed the hippie era, but the pro-legalization movement was born then and survived the dark times, outlasting the anti-drug phenomenon.

Youthful rebellion does make change, but those changes become a part of established life. Our sexual culture in particular is entirely a product of Trump's generation, paradoxically enough.

Alt-right IS the new counterculture. It's a backlash against all the social progress made in the last couple decades, by people (mostly white men) who think progress swung too far. Theres this emerging and disturbing idea that feminism is sexist against men, or that white people are villified.

Oh wait, they're the ones that think they solved everything already, but really all you did was scream really loud.

OP was a teen during the 2000s.
I'm sure he did a bunch to rebel and change things then.

Like, you know, wearing makeup.

kirblar

Alt-right IS the new counterculture. It's a backlash against all the social progress made in the last couple decades, by people (mostly white men) who think progress swung too far. Theres this emerging and disturbing idea that feminism is sexist against men, or that white people are villified.
Actually, the real sexual rebellion these days would be married consensual sex for the purposes of procreation.
That would definitely be counter-culture.
I would agree with this general take. The Alt-Right, things like the "Quiverfull" movement- this is reactionary stuff rebelling against mainstream social change.

Kids have less sex, less crime, do better in school. They got a screen in front of their faces by their parents and told to not go outside because it is scary. And now we complain they aren't rebellious enough.

kirblar

Kids have less sex, less crime, do better in school. They got a screen in front of their faces by their parents and told to not go outside because it is scary. And now we complain they aren't rebellious enough.
Millenials/Gen Z are the first post-unleaded gas generations in the US. The reduction in impulsive behavior that has helped reduce crime rates has had effects like that elsewhere as well.

Weird question. As an 18 year old, I find it tough to answer.

One thing, though, OP: Today's teens (in developing and first world countries) ARE developing their own subcultures. Perhaps for the first time in human history, over the internet, teenagers can grow up while making friends solely over shared interest or ideology, and are barred much less by circumstance.

I'd also wager that our generation, overall, is the most aware generation when it comes to social justice, politics, and whatnot. In the US, from what I've seen as an outsider, the conservative bloc is by and large old people (the boomer generation, I think?). The liberal side is much more concentrated among teenagers (specifically, 15 to late 20's) in my opinion.

Since the 90s there have been groups that grew up together on the internet, I remember having friends pretty much only over AOL then internet BBS' then usenet then IRC then Everquest, etc. Its just became way more mainstream today, so its not super weird to only have virtual friends and few real world friends. Facebook, twitter, reddit, instagram, snapchat, etc have gone mainstream and replaced all the underground online areas of the last 20 years. NeoGAF in many ways represents the internet of the 90s.

And I'd definitely challenge your idea that the youngest generation is the most progressive. Probably the hippies from the 60s & early 70s were the most progressive, while they weren't a majority even of the youth they thought they were going to literally change the world from a capitalist patriarchy to some sort of communal utopia, and they did a lot of stuff to get their message out, stuff that still resonates today from organic farms to counterculture to music festivals.

Of course they mostly completely turned to ultra capitalists in the 80s, so it'll be interesting to see where the progressive activists youth of today turn towards in 5-10 years when they are faced with the choice of wealth or principles/helping others. I suspect the results will be something no one can predict or expect.

Permanently A

emoji-movie-57-11-17-17-july-28-2017-counting-22966142.png

1322.gif

It's not that Gen Zs have no contrarian Ideas, It is that Gen Y has dominion of all the spaces were you think you would hear their plights and drown their voices.

And it has been like that for the later half of the 20th century. No one cares what teenagers are saying in their private spaces when college students are blocking streets, rallying, and shouting in public. Now apply that to the internet.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
They're rebeling against giving a damn. Cynicism is the current trend, as sincerity just makes you a target for disappointment and disillusionment. It's better in their eyes to say everything sucks and life is all one big joke.

Wasn't that Gen X?

Liljagare

Gold Member

Helped to bring down the wall, helped to bring about the Pride parades. Thought the next generation would bring super punks and super mods because of the new thing, internet.

Imagine the ways you could involve people.

But, guess it didn't work.

20cent

Banned
You got twitter and neogaf to vent 24/7, you need some kind of speech frustration and actual repression to slowly build the will and power to do something.

You seem to keep missing this question OP.

Perhaps if people keep quoting it you will answer.

To be fair, he did "answer" it...

this is a reponse to what i did as a teen to rebel

- i wore make up because my dad hated it, identified as bisexual
- i had a gay threesome even though i dunno, i wasn't into it, i just wanted to give a big old middle finger
- i listend exclusively to hard rock or punk
- i ran away from home for 3 weeks to london cos i was upset

do i need to fucking go on

But then edited it out, apparently...

120v

IMO gen X was the last "fuck the system" subculture. for whatever reason every succeeding generation more or less conformed.

if the trump era doesn't meet a swift demise i guess that'll change

KonradLaw

Rebel against what? Their parents listen to the same music as they do, they have the same tastes and views.

The closest you will get to rebellion is the heavy turn into conservative viewspoint a lot of younger are displaying

Even since I was a kid there was always the infallible idea that to beat the system you had to join it.

All that's done is cemented the systems power. We're in it till it's over unfortunately.

Since the 90s there have been groups that grew up together on the internet, I remember having friends pretty much only over AOL then internet BBS' then usenet then IRC then Everquest, etc. Its just became way more mainstream today, so its not super weird to only have virtual friends and few real world friends. Facebook, twitter, reddit, instagram, snapchat, etc have gone mainstream and replaced all the underground online areas of the last 20 years. NeoGAF in many ways represents the internet of the 90s.

And I'd definitely challenge your idea that the youngest generation is the most progressive. Probably the hippies from the 60s & early 70s were the most progressive, while they weren't a majority even of the youth they thought they were going to literally change the world from a capitalist patriarchy to some sort of communal utopia, and they did a lot of stuff to get their message out, stuff that still resonates today from organic farms to counterculture to music festivals.

Of course they mostly completely turned to ultra capitalists in the 80s, so it'll be interesting to see where the progressive activists youth of today turn towards in 5-10 years when they are faced with the choice of wealth or principles/helping others. I suspect the results will be something no one can predict or expect.

Cannot really challenge you on whether the hippies were more progressive or not. I wasn't alive then.

However, our generation does differ in that (unless I'm missing something), there are many conflicting ideologies. Some don't care, others are righteous, others are indignant. Perhaps that shows there's more stability in the current "factions" of our generation, so to speak.

Cocaloch

However, our generation does differ in that (unless I'm missing something), there are many conflicting ideologies. Some don't care, others are righteous, others are indignant. Perhaps that shows there's more stability in the current "factions" of our generation, so to speak.

Conflicting ideologies, and I'm not sure that's really the core of what's going on in the US as I think most Americans have broadly similar worldviews, is a feature of every place with a developed public sphere. Meanwhile I'd say most actual groups being created now, by the virtue of the cultural effect of the internet, are more transient that ever before.

Yazzees

This.

Every punk-looking teen I meet through my job is a raging /pol/kiddy.

Also I could just about swear they are much more anti-weed than the people 10 years older than them.

jabuseika

Helped to bring down the wall, helped to bring about the Pride parades. Thought the next generation would bring super punks and super mods because of the new thing, internet.

Imagine the ways you could involve people.

But, guess it didn't work.

The internet has done more to fracture groups, than unite them. The impersonality, and fabrication of perfect "enemies" is too easy, and people fall for it.

80's and 90's kids had the advantage of collapsing regimes falling simultaneously as they protested. But let's be honest, a lot of them became the man as soon as they had their turn.

Zolo

Being alt right is the new punk.

This. While government obviously needs work, most institutions these days try to at least appear left. Most of the mainstream media is left as well as the entertainment. Most of the alt-right's colleagues are left which makes them think they are the new rebels/confederacy.

Cocaloch

The internet has done more to fracture groups, than unite them. The impersonality, and fabrication of perfect "enemies" is too easy, and people fall for it.

80's and 90's kids had the advantage of collapsing regimes falling simultaneously as they protested. But let's be honest, a lot of them became the man as soon as they had their turn.

I think the greater importance of the internet is that in the perceived social mobility given by the internet damaged a lot of what holds groups together: shared history, social inertia, and institutional inertia.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Where’s the ‘rebellion’? It got defanged, bought up and sold back to us as a hot new life-style choice.

Neo-Liberal Capitalism is a giant fucking tar-baby.

Dude it's everywhere, veganism is growing fast as fuck and I have no clue why people always ignore the thousands upon thousands of protesters who turn up against white supremacist/nazi rallies who normally have like 30 people attending them. Occupy Wall street, BLM, antifa, the alt right movement, anti-trump protests are just some examples that are powered by millennials.There's a fucking cultural war going on right now in the west with people demanding change be it good or bad.

Cocaloch

Dude it's everywhere, veganism is growing fast as fuck and I have no clue why people always ignore the thousands upon thousands of protesters who turn up against white supremacist/nazi rallies who normally have like 30 people attending them. Occupy Wall street, BLM, antifa, the alt right movement, anti-trump protests are just some examples that are powered by millennials.There's a fucking cultural war going on right now in the west with people demanding change be it good or bad.

The reason is because outside of BLM none of those are large and sustained. Meanwhile millennials aren't the generation he's talking about. They aren't currently teens.

Thorgal

What are these teens doing?

I kind of assumed that a lot of them would be creating subcultures I hadn't dreamt of, that none of us would, and that would later come into fruition. All I see are shitty youtube channels, reactions to corporate media, streaming horseshit, and stuff about mainstream pop music, Where are the rebellious kids who are gonna reshape what we have now into something new?

I'm actually asking. I wanna see it.

we have got all of them hooked on Minecraft and mobile therefore we nipped the rebellion in the bud before it began.

Top Bottom