• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
fD2XZs6.gif

this fucking game.

someone give Sunhi an Oscar for these gifs. Good lord.

Gotta mention a few instances when Aloy's character writing really came through and wowed me:

When Sylens tries to school Aloy on the Earth's shape, that it wasn't "flat as she believed", and she responds with "why would I think that? During lunar eclipses the Earth casts a curved shadow" Which leaves Sylens absolutely stumped, "buh-..err..we'll discuss it later! Keep moving!"

Thought that was great.

Then when Talanah shares her story of following her family's tradition in the Lodge despite Carja customs, and Aloy parallels herself being an underdog and outcast saying "The Nora wanted nothing but to distance themselves from me, now everywhere I go I am "Aloy of the Nora", it should be "Aloy despite the Nora"

And lastly the exchange between Erend and her after foiling Dervahl. Erend admits he thought himself a big shot talking up a pretty village girl, only now he realises he was lucky to have a minute to talk to her, and not to forget him as she goes on to change the world.

Really, really good moments of character development there for me.

I think Guerrilla have themselves a total knockout with Aloy, and so far, the best character this year.

KWbmpmH.jpg

Feminist AF.

I still need to know why Gia was not restarted. Corrupted Alpha ID is inadequate explanation because she could still get into Mother's Heart and GIA Prime

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Sorry about the spoilers. Corrected.

Starting to get a bit bored of this game now as I get closer to the end :( I'm finding every combat scenario just a little too repetitive, there's barely any variety gameplay wise. I don't think I'm too far from the end so I'll finish off the main quest, but I certainly can't be bothered to mop up all the errands and side quests afterwards.

I think it's great that a new ip has done so well, and technically it's a marvel, but the game has just never really amazed me to be honest. I can't get over the fact it steals so many ideas from other open world games, it's a real stickler for me. I'm a tiny bit surprised to see it get so much praise in here. I would normally say it's because I'm turning into a miserable sod, but I loved Night In The Woods, Res Evil 7 and Zelda before playing this, so I know there's some joy left in me somewhere!

Too much awesome to the brain.

Orcastar

Just finished the game.

Loved it, hands down the best game I've played this year so far. Loved Aloy as a character, and it was a very nice surprise to find out that the game had such a great, properly fleshed out sci-fi story.

And holy crap does the game just look absolutely stunning. I'm usually not one to be wowed by pretty graphics, but playingn Horizon on a PS4 Pro and an LG B6 felt like a generational leap. Even after two weeks of playing I'd regularly just stop to gawk at the scenery in awe. Amazing, just amazing, the people at Guerrilla are goddamn wizards.

Definitely looking forward to seeing where they're gonna take the franchise in the future.

cooldawn

It's taken 61 hours but I've now finished it.

It's beautiful and moment-to-moment gameplay flows well...just wish there weren't so many issues with the engine (and I mean silly issues, nothing gamebreakinig at all).

That epic ending though...WOW. I never consider DLC for single player games but this...most probably.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
How do I turn off resource pickups on the HUD?

It was said here in the thread it was possible. I cannot figure it out. And I do not need this hud clutter for such obvious pickups. I have all hud off except dynamic health and tools... and it looks AWESOME except for these obnoxious goddamn environmentment pickups, which I don't even pickup anymore! Total eyesore, this shit.

How do you turn them the hell off?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
How do I turn off resource pickups on the HUD?

It was said here in the thread it was possible. I cannot figure it out. And I do not need this hud clutter for such obvious pickups. I have all hud off except dynamic health and tools... and it looks AWESOME except for these obnoxious goddamn environmentment pickups, which I don't even pickup anymore! Total eyesore, this shit.

How do you turn them the hell off?

You can't sadly. At least I don't think.

autoduelist

Video I just made killing a Thunderjaw in less than 30s (no tripwire involved):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiKNxmrz-nI

I didn't record it but my fastest thunderjaw takedown was in the hunter's challenge for one. I grabbed a Ravager cannon, accidental got under the Thunderjaw, and just fired up. It died so quickly I thought it just fell over at first, to the point that I wonder if that Thunderjaw has less HP than others? The above kill required more skill though.

I remember the first time I killed a TJ it took forever. Now I whip through them. Such a good game, you can really feel the skill of yourself, Aloy, and your weapons synergize together as you advance through the game.

Does anyone get a headache from playing this? Thoroughly enjoying it but it's the only open world game that gives me this problem. Wish I could turn off the sharpening too.

Stoze

Does anyone get a headache from playing this? Thoroughly enjoying it but it's the only open world game that gives me this problem. Wish I could turn off the sharpening too.

It doesn't give me a headache/motion sickness, but the camera is typically annoying close to Aloy. I feel like I have to get used to it every time I start a play session.

Filben

Only a few hours into that game. There's one conversation about a different tribe and Aloy could ask this tribe representative about female leaders. The guy's having a blast laughing and Aloy is totally confused why that is funny and asking for legit and rational reason why there's no female leader and the guy just cannot come up with a straight and logical answer. Her reaction to this... wow. One have to experience that dialog by themself.

I could experience the HDR visuals first hand at a buddy's Sony 4k HDR TV. It's not a revelation and sometimes it just looks like the contrast is cranked up, but the awesome feature is a bit hidden in the details. Colors and lighting looks a bit more like reallife and less video game like, more natural and hard to describe. It definitely adds up to the overall image quality.

TsuWave

I mean at the end of his quest you kill all the bandits any way, so it would only be a matter of time before he starts hunting innocent people.

no. iirc Nil highlights that "rules are important. a structure. a cage" that's how he puts it. he wouldn't hunt innocent people. at worst he would challenge willing hunters to death duels like he did with Aloy. anyways, not fighting him is the best course of action because he comes back later on to help with the final fight.

you guys killed the best npc in the game. you monsters

Evolved1

You can't sadly. At least I don't think.
Man, that sucks. It's driving me crazy now, because I don't need any of this stuff, and it's literally everywhere I look.

I would pm that person but they posted over a week ago and this thread is huge.

They said you could turn them off and only track specific ones by creating a job for them. Seemed so specific to be bullshit. Ugh.

no. iirc Nil highlights that "rules are important. a structure. a cage" that's how he puts it. he wouldn't hunt innocent people. at worst he would challenge willing hunters to death duels like he did with Aloy. anyways, not fighting him is the best course of action because he comes back later on to help with the final fight.

It takes a monster to kill a monster.

firelogic

Rise of the Tomb Raider and The Last Guardian gave me headaches and nausea to the point where I couldn't finish either game. I've been fine with Horizon.

SlickVic

Getting through all the training dummies for the trophy is a bit tedious, but I like how it let me see a few other things in the world I missed. One was an errand I didn't realize I had missed before, but I also went by Rost's house
and found his grave. It was a really nice moment, especially since Aloy talks about everything that happens in the story, including events right up to the final battle. I also liked how she mentioned that she would try to find Elisabet's home after the battle, which sets up that final scene quite nicely.

sugarman

I was trying to pick off some Ravagers when I backed up to the edge of a waterfall and fell off it. I must have fallen like 300-400 ft and had already put the controller down anticipating the loading screen but nope, popped out the bottom of it and had to travel so god damn far to get back to where I was.

Helscream

Banned

My thoughts on Nil.

I personally look at Nil as a throwback to Metal Gear Solid. Or the way the MGS series defines soldier. A great soldier makes a terrible person/great person makes a terrible soldier. Characters like Gray Fox come to mind.

Nil will only fight/kill people who are worthy opponents (Like Aloy) or shitty people like bandits. There is no glory, no adrenaline rush, no honor killing innocent people. And I would go as far too say its not out of being morally wrong, but that it is literally absent of glory, self gratification. It would not test his mettle. And if the only thing he thinks he is good at is killing. Then why should he stop? Thats my two cents.

ActWan

I finally got back to the plot, and it really started picking up the pace.
I just did the
Maker's End
mission and I have a little theory:
Aloy is Elisabet. Seems kinda obvious though...might even be a clone or something with DNA in order to keep Elisabet "immortal". And I think Zero Dawn might have something to do with the plague that was talked about in the Vantage points, aswell as outer space.

BTW all the Greek names are awesome. I hope to see someone named Kratos!

Szadek

I'm level 40 now. Still haven't done that level 12 main quest.
Well, maybe another time. There isn't much stuff left for me to do anyway.

RPGCrazied

Played this for 5 hours today. I was going for this or the new Mass Effect, but this won in the end. Glad I went with it. The graphics are amazing, love the quests and story(even though its not making much sense yet). Nice exclusive for the PS4.

One question though, how do you customize weapons? Do you unlock that later, or am I missing something?

I just became a
Seeker
in the storyline.

Evolved1

I'm level 40 now. Still haven't done that level 12 main quest.
Well, maybe another time. There isn't much stuff left for me to do anyway.
This happened to me because the game warned me it was a point of no return. I'm really confused by it, tbh.

Played this for 5 hours today. I was going for this or the new Mass Effect, but this won in the end. Glad I went with it. The graphics are amazing, love the quests and story(even though its not making much sense yet). Nice exclusive for the PS4.

One question though, how do you customize weapons? Do you unlock that later, or am I missing something?

I just became a
Seeker
in the storyline.
Congrats you finished the tutorial.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Just finished, platinum, ~70 hours. God damn, what a ride. Favorite game since Witcher 3. Hats off, GG. But I also really liked Killzone 2.
But this was something special!

Tyaren

This happened to me because the game warned me it was a point of no return. I'm really confused by it, tbh.

There really is no point of no return in the game, also no quests can expire. There is just one point in the game, and I think you are referring to it, where you can't return to the open world for a couple of hours and the game warns you before.

Mathieran

Banned
So this game had something happen that's always irritated the shit out of me in Uncharted games. Mid to late ? Story spoilers.
Worked really hard to get into to the Zero Dawn facility, a place no one has been for 1000 or more years, only to have the bad guys beat me there. That irritates me so much. Like no one thought to go down the vents before?
Whatever, game is still awesome, not a big deal. Hope it doesn't keep happening.

Yeah, the game looks massive. But I try to do everything, do every side quest and talk to every NPC and choose all dialogue. Breath of the Wild took me 60 hours, I'm sure this will be more.
I pretty much walk everywhere, unless I'm pressed for time or impatient and just fast travel, but yeah you'll probably get 60 hours out of it. I'm on 75% completion at 52 hours so far.

Allforce

I got to a point where I'm very clearly being told "this is the end there is no going back so make sure you've done everything". I'm only like level 29 and haven't even seen every machine yet (no Stormbird for example).

Do I carry on or should I go mop up a ton of these sidequests first? Feels sort of abrupt and I don't want it to end really...

Evolved1

There really is no point of no return in the game, also no quests can expire. There is just one point in the game, and I think you are referring to it, where you can't return to the open world for a couple of hours and the game warns you before.
Omg... wtf game!?

Lol.

Evolved1

I got to a point where I'm very clearly being told "this is the end there is no going back so make sure you've done everything". I'm only like level 29 and haven't even seen every machine yet (no Stormbird for example).

Do I carry on or should I go mop up a ton of these sidequests first? Feels sort of abrupt and I don't want it to end really...
Press on, apparently.

Don't do what I did. lol

SlickVic

If anyone else is like me and hit 99% completion, found out you're missing 1 side quest, you're probably missing one called 'Acquired Taste'. A lot of guides don't have it listed for some reason (guessing most are focused on getting the Platinum which don't require 100% completion or finishing every side quest), but fortunately some folks were able to figure it out. Image from Gamefaqs as to where it's located here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom