• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 needs to transition to full RPG gameplay

AudioEppa

Hell fuck no.

I wanna enjoy the game. I swear some people keep suggesting shit for naughty dog that they can get in many other games. Stop trying to piss on the bread and butter.

Hell fuck no.

I wanna enjoy the game. I swear some people keep suggesting shit for naughty dog that they can get in many other games. Stop trying to piss on the bread and butter.

It's why we have so many games that have half baked mechanics, because someone somewhere wanted that shit. But it was never full realized, because one in ten people actually fucking enjoy it.

OP made me laugh.

Everyone wants a even better TLOU. People have to remember TLOU maxed out the PS3. Just look at the first gameplay Demo. The next game just needs more encounter scenarios, varied killing animations, better A.I. (more RAM basically guarantees that) etc.

RPG? hell no. Only RPG element needed is the basic crafting element. Can Naughty Dog add more RPG elements and still be a great game? yes. Is it needed? Hell No.

When people complain about TLOUs gameplay I laugh. Its one of the best rated games out there. The slow imprecise gameplay complements the game. Play games on hard because normal is actually easy. But if you didnt enjoy it, thats fine. But thats a problem with your tastes, not the game.

Basically what I reallllllly wanted to say is "lol" but I wrote all that crap.

Imagine if you could find a pair of scissors or some sugar that were common, rare, or legendary.

Nevermind. I take it all back. TLOU RPG it is.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The world is supposed to be filled with people, right? Not hyper-violent automatons. Some humanization even for the bad guys would go a long way.

It's a bit ridiculous that literally every single NPC (that isn't one of the few companions) will try to kill you on sight. (Ok, there's the
surgery
scene.)

One, the world is not supposed to be filled with people. Two, the world is a fucking brutal place that wants to destroy you. Violence as a first act becomes second nature.

sugarman

I don't know about TLOU going open world, but I think the op raises a lot of good points. The standard fare (and kind of dull) gameplay does not match the experience they are creating in the writing/cutscenes.

xxracerxx

I don't know about TLOU going open world, but I think the op raises a lot of good points. The standard fare (and kind of dull) gameplay does not match the experience they are creating in the writing/cutscenes.

I always found the gameplay to be tense as fuck. Each area I would go around stealth killing people and scavenging, then if I messed up and shit hit the fan, my limited resources and health would make the combat even more tense.

I do play on Hard and had Listen Mode off, so that may have to do with my enjoyment.

EGM1966

Son dry as think this is nonsense. TLOU is delivering the vide game equivalent of films like The Road and shows like The a Walking Dead. That means combat and mechanics grounded in reality. That means crunching violent melted blows. That means clumsy, desperate struggles to survive when things suddenly go south. I fail to see how anything in the OP would improve that. And the gameplay absolutely matches the writing/cutscenes in tone: that's why as a whole TLOU was so critically praised. It's elements are all well designed to fit together to a common tone - including the combat and including tense, extended chances for stealth to avoid open combat as much as possible.

Addining any kind of fluid combat, agile movement and god forbid RPG stats and skills would ruin it.

I understand exactly what the OP means, and I totally agree.

Alot of people in the thread are misunderstanding. It's not about turning Last of Us into a full open world RPG or incorporating more crafting and loot. It's about bringing the WORLD to life. To actually inhabit it. This doesn't mean open world. It means open gameplay. Something where the world reacts to you. Areas to actually explore and interact with. Something more along the lines of Deus Ex, Red Dead Redemption, and Arkham Asylum/City. Linear and story focused. But with the freedom to play the way you want.

There's massive potential there.

xxracerxx

This doesn't mean open world. It means open gameplay. Something where the world reacts to you. Areas to actually explore and interact with. Something more along the lines of Deus Ex, Red Dead Redemption, and Arkham Asylum/City. Linear and story focused. But with the freedom to play the way you want.

I feel like people played a different game then I did when they say you don't have freedom to play it how you want and that there wasn't chances for exploration.

I understand exactly what the OP means, and I totally agree.

Alot of people in the thread are misunderstanding. It's not about turning Last of Us into a full open world RPG or incorporating more crafting and loot. It's about bringing the WORLD to life. To actually inhabit it. This doesn't mean open world. It means open gameplay. Something where the world reacts to you. Areas to actually explore and interact with. Something more along the lines of Deus Ex, Red Dead Redemption, and Arkham Asylum/City. Linear and story focused. But with the freedom to play the way you want.

There's massive potential there.

There's little sense for Joel and Elly to explore the world unless they change the script. So, yeah, you could make a sequel about those two and put them into a journey where they're just explorers... or you could tell a focused story where it wouldn't make sense for the player to put the story on pause and go wander around like 100% of open world games.

taa0098

Neo Member
I'm all for increasing the opportunities to explore the world, and to make it feel more alive (or as alive as a post-apocalyptic game can get). I mean the game originally came out on what was nearly 7 year old hardware at the time, I'm sure with ps4/pro they'll be able to expand on a lot.

But it definitely doesn't need to be an rpg. Nor does it need dialogue choices. It was a story about joel and his decisions, not the player.

Sande

One, the world is not supposed to be filled with people. Two, the world is a fucking brutal place that wants to destroy you. Violence as a first act becomes second nature.
I don't mean literally "filled" as in full of. Populated? Inhabited? But I'd guess you got that already.

Naughty Dog already made it clear in the first game that not literally everyone is out to get you. That just never translated to gameplay in any meaningful way for whatever reason. I think it would definitely add to the experience, not detract from it, if done correctly.

Tecl0n

It needs better stealth options. A game that encouraged (and forced in some cases) stealth approach to combat has to have a more diverse system.

DieH@rd

Banned
I think a big problem with The Last of Us is the massive disconnect between the complex narrative its trying to tell ,and the extremely narrow visioned gameplay.

Nah. TLOU gameplay was great.

Sure they can tweak it, but they should remain action, stealth and survival focused.

DrD

I wouldn't mind seeing hubs like in Deus Ex. It would be similar to the city in Uncharted 4 where you'd get a breather and just explore but with more interaction with people as well as more incentive to explore since you'll want crafting material before setting off.

The combat in The Last of Us has a solid base that they can build from, the stealth gameplay is already better than what we got in Uncharted 4. Improve on the AI, add more infected types, focus on having humans and infected in play at the same time so you can pit them against each other, using the environment in combat sort of like we've seen in Days Gone.

The weakest part of the original were the puzzles that involved moving a dumpster, ladder or plank for Ellie. I hope we don't see anything like that and it's replaced with something a little more rewarding instead.

Sande

For me it's the opposite, how much enjoyment I get out of a game is entirely dependent on how strong its mechanical skeleton is.

Putting Play First | Game Maker's Toolkit
To me, the core gameplay is mostly amazing in TLOU. The way movement, aiming, shooting and hitting feels is great. The audiovisual feedback for your actions is also on point. The only thing I'd criticize is that melee is a bit too simplistic, even when taking into consideration that that is largely the point (Joel is definitely no martial artist).

Now, the stealth and combat options are very basic and limited, but what is there is some of the best the industry has to offer.

Saying "Not everything needs to be..." isn't an argument against anything the OP said.
More than half of this thread is kneejerk reactions from people who saw "RPG" in the title and didn't even glance at the OP.

Tain

If you take away all the audiovisual presentation elements (voice acting, textures, backgrounds), remove all story and writing, replace the characters with generic human models; basically remove any aspect of the game people may have an emotional attachment to and turn it into a mechanical playground...

lol, as though the pictured VR training missions are anywhere near a "mechanical playground".

You simply cannot wholly separate mechanics and aesthetics. Vanquish without anything to convey the very concept of guns or, say, individual beings simply cannot be. Even that Bayonetta prototype footage, with the basic-ass single-frame animations and tons of other forms of clunk, is utterly drenched in aesthetic meaning.

Varth

i'm really thankful that most devs don't really take gameplay ideas from forums seriously

cause jesus christ

Not according to GAF hivemind. If an idea turns up good is because "we campaigned". If it turns out sucking is "they listened to teh casuals".

If the original had been a choice-driven narrative RPG, then the ending and overall story wouldn't have had the impact it did. That's the strength of having a set, definitive story. Why would I care if X character died if I could have saved them in another playthrough?

I agree with everything you and everyone else in here is saying in response to the OP, except for the bolded portion. One example would be Keira Metz in the Witcher 3. I saved her on both of my playthroughs, but when I found out what happened if you simply let her go do what she wanted instead of advising her, I actually felt sick. Giving the player a choice doesn't really remove the sting of character's fates.

Keep that shit outta The Last of Us, though. Every game doesn't need to be that.

Kiter

Neo Member
I would like Naughty Dog to go in another direction aswell. Not necessarily full on open world, but I dont know if I want another Naughty Dog scripted on rail action spectacle. Even though they perfected that concept.
I just don't see a way to improve on the first game without changing up the gameplay.
I didn't want a successor with the same cast in the first place, because of the great closure of the initial story, but keeping the typical gameplay would disappoint me quiet a bit.

AudioEppa

I hope Druckmann prints out the OP and tells the team "don't ever think we're going in this direction."

Lol I seriously hope he does this and with every post asking them to do open world + some sort of RPG.

Damn that game of the year awards thread really got people going crazy in 2017.

Top Bottom