• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
try harder, trollol

I'm not attempting to troll. And even if I was, you couldn't do anything about it.

Anyway, I need motivation to buy Mushihime-sama... it's like $72 from AmiAmi, assuming the conversion rates hold up, which is technically a good deal given what NCSX and Playsia are looking for, but I dunno. I played a bit of it when I had the shitty PS2 port, but I feel like after Futari, my Mushi needs have been fulfilled. That, and I do have to buy Akai Katana, which I've never played.

Why should I buy this game, Cave-GAF?

(I'll probably just drink until I'm intoxicated enough to "accidentally" place an order.)

Heads up to people in NA, saw this on shmups today:

As of today, you can pre-order Akai Katana at your local Gamestop. It is in our system. The SKU is 201368, in case you're getting helped by an employee who doesn't know what they're talking about. Which happens way too often, sadly.

Yes Boss!

I'm not attempting to troll. And even if I was, you couldn't do anything about it.

Anyway, I need motivation to buy Mushihime-sama... it's like $72 from AmiAmi, assuming the conversion rates hold up, which is technically a good deal given what NCSX and Playsia are looking for, but I dunno. I played a bit of it when I had the shitty PS2 port, but I feel like after Futari, my Mushi needs have been fulfilled. That, and I do have to buy Akai Katana, which I've never played.

(I'll probably just drink until I'm intoxicated enough to "accidentally" place an order.)

Lots of reasons!

1) New Cave game for your 360 Cave Collection.

2) Get to play as Princess Reco

3) HD assets/Up-rez

4) Get to use your 360 stick(s) this go around.

5) Very pretty cover(s)

6) To show support for additional Cave 360 releases on 360

7) Region-free (not sure if this title is or is not??)

Zeth

Futari arrived yesterday, woot! Spent most of last night listening to the sweet sound of Reco dying, heh.

Need some advice: Is there a standard (arcade stick) button layout for this game or is it just personal preference? What is the difference between arcade and 360? Is there any way one can acquire the Black Label DLC in the US?

Can anyone recommend me a stick? I'm happy with my buttons but the square gate JLF stick doesn't feel right for these games.

kirby2096

Don't buy Mushihime-sama if you don't have a Japan/Asian Xbox 360, they haven't said it'll be region free.
On a brighter note for UKGaffers, preorders of Akai Katana from a certain online retailer will come with a Akai Katana T-Shirt (available in M and L sizes, luck of the draw as to which one you'll recieve). Hard to resist the lure of free Cave swag.

My favorite retail stick for shooting games is the Hori Real Arcade Pro EX-SE. They're discontinued now, but if you find one don't hesitate to buy it.

danmaku

Futari arrived yesterday, woot! Spent most of last night listening to the sweet sound of Reco dying, heh.

Need some advice: Is there a standard (arcade stick) button layout for this game or is it just personal preference? What is the difference between arcade and 360? Is there any way one can acquire the Black Label DLC in the US?

Can anyone recommend me a stick? I'm happy with my buttons but the square gate JLF stick doesn't feel right for these games.

The "official" button layout is A = shoot, B = bomb, C = autofire, but it's up to you. I personally use A = bomb, B = autofire and C = shoot. Arcade and 360 are the same game, the only difference is that 360 version has HD graphics while Arcade version is low res (useful if you want to use a CRT monitor). You can find the Black Label DLC even in the US marketplace, it should be in the game's download section of the marketplace under the (confusing) name of "Hutari Black Lavel" or something.

SOME-MIST

The parts.

HRAP EX has a Sanwa JLF lever and Hori clone buttons.
HRAP EX-SE has a Seimitsu LS-32 lever and Seimitsu PS-14G and PS-14D buttons.
buying a VX-SA and modding an LS-32-01 and seimitsu buttons would be very easy too.

I have an EX-SE, but I wanted a VX-SE so I just bought a VX-SA and threw an LS-56-01 (personal preference) and PS-14-KN buttons in it with very little effort.

That's good to hear. I wasn't aware the VX-SA's mounting bracket accommodated Seimitsu sticks. But one of the reasons I prefer the HRAP shell to the HRAPV shell is the weight and heft of the thing, in addition to the Sega city button arrangement.

I had a blast with the original Mushi back when it came out on PS2 despite that version's flaws, and still think it has superior visuals and audio compared to its sequel.

The main attraction for me this time around is Matsuri ver. 1.5 though, and being a first-press DLC code it's going to be in limited supply.

I had a blast with the original Mushi back when it came out on PS2 despite that version's flaws, and still think it has superior visuals and audio compared to its sequel.

The main attraction for me this time around is Matsuri ver. 1.5 though, and being a first-press DLC code it's going to be in limited supply.

Really? I mean, I don't doubt you. It's just that out of those Cave games I've played, Futari is by far the best looking one. The colors, sprites, backgrounds - everything is so amazing. Can't even imagine that Mushi could look better.

SOME-MIST

That's good to hear. I wasn't aware the VX-SA's mounting bracket accommodated Seimitsu sticks. But one of the reasons I prefer the HRAP shell to the HRAPV shell is the weight and heft of the thing, in addition to the Sega city button arrangement.

ahhhhhh, I forgot, for my 56-01 I needed to purchase MS mounting plate, but any LS-32-01 purchase should come with an SS mounting plate that just drops into the VX-SA.

I do prefer the weight of my EX-SE as well.

Really? I mean, I don't doubt you. It's just that out of those Cave games I've played, Futari is by far the best looking one. The colors, sprites, backgrounds - everything is so amazing. Can't even imagine that Mushi could look better.

Don't forget that Mushi HD will have its assets at the same resolution as Futari.

I think my biggest issues with Futari is that it's conceptually all over the place; from the completely absurd boss designs (a fire-breathing t-rex that shoots bullets from its hands? a flying squid?) to the complete lack of theme progression between stages (going straight from barren mountain to giant human city, what?), suspension of disbelief is so broken that I just can't take the game seriously. Mushi did a really good job of sticking to a single theme, and had some purely magical moments, like Stage 3, that Cave has never reproduced since.

Ok, if you pay attention to such things I can understand that. I don't mind such illogicality, but it's cool to hear about those positive aspects in Mushi. Hopefully it get's localized. I'm indeed intrigued.

Zeth

The "official" button layout is A = shoot, B = bomb, C = autofire, but it's up to you. I personally use A = bomb, B = autofire and C = shoot. Arcade and 360 are the same game, the only difference is that 360 version has HD graphics while Arcade version is low res (useful if you want to use a CRT monitor). You can find the Black Label DLC even in the US marketplace, it should be in the game's download section of the marketplace under the (confusing) name of "Hutari Black Lavel" or something.

Much appreciated. I'm going to look for the DLC now. When I try to download it from within the game I get an error, I'll try getting it manually.

Another question about play style: do you typically use both shot buttons? I can see where alternating shot with a single button would be extremely useful in Maniac for example. I just want to make sure I'm not handicapping myself by occasionally using one for shot and one for laser in Original. edit: I know it's not technically laser, hope you know what I mean.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Oh, that's right. I forgot about Matsuri. Yeah, guess I do have to buy it for that, at least.

And Yes Boss -- the game's not region free. Gotta J360 it up.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The sad thing is, even if Rising Star Games picks up Mushi, it's gonna be "Bug Princess". :p

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Bug Princess is a neat title. much better than seemingly random gibberish, which the japanese title is.

Yes Boss!

japanese 360s have to be like $10 by now. i need machine for gal gu-- um, japanese version of halo.

Hope they are mad cheap now. Gonna be in Japan shortly and plan on picking up one or two 4GB slims to replace my aging white one.

Seems like this might be the 360s last year in Japan.

Zeth

My progress in Futari isn't going as well as I'd hoped. I've only had it two days, but it's the first console shmup I've played, and first with a stick. Imported it after absolutely loving it on iOS. Apparently the touch controls, while excellent IMO (besides some shot switching issues that don't translate), totally break the game's difficulty. I was able to 1CC Original on "Hard" and get to the second half of stage 5 on Hell (original patterns), but now I'm typically dying on stage 3 or at best the stage 3 boss on 360. Still, I think playing on iOS had its benefits. I was able to memorize most of the game, and work out some strategies, especially for stage 3 and 4, that will still be useful. Infinite speed on the iOS ports really makes the games totally different. Mainly, getting out of jams is something I need to really learn from scratch since I can't warp to the opposite side of the screen through a tiny opening.

the princess of bugs who goes around killing all the bugs.

Which are you suggesting? That the game's story contradicts the gameplay, or the title's translation isn't accurate? Serious question, I'm not knowledgable about the game.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Which are you suggesting? That the game's story contradicts the gameplay, or the title's translation isn't accurate? Serious question, I'm not knowledgable about the game.

spoilers for mushihimesama

The world of Mushihimesama is a wild, untainted one where large desertic areas abruptly change into lush forests, all inhabited by arthropods called Koujuu: such beasts (basically oversized insects) are capable of surviving due to their hardened shells and, upon their deaths, leave them behind for vegetation to grow around them, in a natural cycle of life and death. However, their life force, called Levi-Sense, proved to be poisonous to the humans to the point of being named the Miasma; only sparse human settlements were allowed to survive, one of them being the Hoshifuri village, in exchange for the sacrifice of a 15 years old girl every 200 years. However, the daughter of the royal family, Reco, is apparently the next in line after being given an ornate bracelet by a mysterious boy in Shinju Forest, where she lost herself at young age: by the day she turns 15, the Miasma contaminates the village.

In order to save her people, she enters Shinju Forest once more, riding the golden Koujuu beetle Kiniro (with which the golden bracelet grants a telepathic link) on a quest to meet the Koujuu god himself.

Dunno about bugs, but I'd sure like to give Reco crabs.

Andrew-Dice-Clay.jpg

Ba-dum-tsh AYO

To be fair, we've all been using the original name for so long that we can't really be objective about it. I think I prefer Bug Princess to Insect Princess, and I can't think of any other possible translation.

I meant the random gibberish Brobzoid was talking about, although the name is pretty much the same in japanese. Missed the "seemingly", so my bad.

conman

spoilers for mushihimesama

The world of Mushihimesama is a wild, untainted one where large desertic areas abruptly change into lush forests, all inhabited by arthropods called Koujuu: such beasts (basically oversized insects) are capable of surviving due to their hardened shells and, upon their deaths, leave them behind for vegetation to grow around them, in a natural cycle of life and death. However, their life force, called Levi-Sense, proved to be poisonous to the humans to the point of being named the Miasma; only sparse human settlements were allowed to survive, one of them being the Hoshifuri village, in exchange for the sacrifice of a 15 years old girl every 200 years. However, the daughter of the royal family, Reco, is apparently the next in line after being given an ornate bracelet by a mysterious boy in Shinju Forest, where she lost herself at young age: by the day she turns 15, the Miasma contaminates the village.

In order to save her people, she enters Shinju Forest once more, riding the golden Koujuu beetle Kiniro (with which the golden bracelet grants a telepathic link) on a quest to meet the Koujuu god himself.
Always suspected, but never knew, how much of a rip-off of Nausicaa the setting actually is. Thanks.

danmaku

Much appreciated. I'm going to look for the DLC now. When I try to download it from within the game I get an error, I'll try getting it manually.

Another question about play style: do you typically use both shot buttons? I can see where alternating shot with a single button would be extremely useful in Maniac for example. I just want to make sure I'm not handicapping myself by occasionally using one for shot and one for laser in Original. edit: I know it's not technically laser, hope you know what I mean.

Yes, I use them all the time. I don't like tapping buttons to shoot, and I don't think it makes any difference gameplay-wise. AFAIK, the delay when you switch from shoot to laser and viceversa is the same, using a single button shouldn't be faster.

Zeth

Yes, I use them all the time. I don't like tapping buttons to shoot, and I don't think it makes any difference gameplay-wise. AFAIK, the delay when you switch from shoot to laser and viceversa is the same, using a single button shouldn't be faster.

Thanks. Yeah, at first I thought I was getting an unnecessary delay but I realized that it's the same as holding shot.

I really wish there was a 1.5 difficulty one notch below arcade, like Hard on iOS. Still working on 1CC, and constantly learning. That's my favorite thing about these games, seeing yourself progress. How is Arrange mode? I haven't really messed with it yet, might have to look into it.

Based on my performance in Futari, I haven't even loaded up EspII yet. Still trying to wrap my head around the scoring by playing it on iOS occasionally. Kind of pointless considering I have a long way to go to even survive that game.

Based on my performance in Futari, I haven't even loaded up EspII yet. Still trying to wrap my head around the scoring by playing it on iOS occasionally. Kind of pointless considering I have a long way to go to even survive that game.

It's pretty much physically impossible to score properly on EspII on iOS. It involves a lot of button holding and tapping gymnastics that the shot toggle is just not sufficient for, and the lack of slowdown makes zetsushikai literally run 5x faster than it should.

danmaku

Thanks. Yeah, at first I thought I was getting an unnecessary delay but I realized that it's the same as holding shot.

I really wish there was a 1.5 difficulty one notch below arcade, like Hard on iOS. Still working on 1CC, and constantly learning. That's my favorite thing about these games, seeing yourself progress. How is Arrange mode? I haven't really messed with it yet, might have to look into it.

You could play Black Label, it's quite easier than 1.5 if you play for survival. Mainly because your shot is much more powerful than in 1.5 and bosses go down fast. It also has lots of slowdown and bullet cancelling. I was able to 1CC Black Label Original in a short time, while I still have to beat 1.5 Original.

I don't think so as DoDonPachi wasn't translated. Also it was CAVE's decision. Even if it's bug princess "blame" CAVE not RSG ;).

I thought so too first, but then again they translated Daifukkatsu into Resurrection. Maybe they didn't touch the name Dodonapchi, because it's such an old and familiar franchise for shmup fans already. But let's hope Mushi will get the same treatment and keep the japanese name, if it get's localized.

Top Bottom