• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm gonna avoid spoiling myself on it. The trailer was enough for me until we get the 360 port.

But I'm really glad people are so enthused about this one. I was worried Cave had lost the magic, with their branching out into iOS stuff and nonsense like Nin2Jump... apparently not!

Tain

Yeah, at this point there's no way I can watch that video until I get to play the game.

i can wait a decade of whatever if i have to.

:|

I'm gonna avoid spoiling myself on it. The trailer was enough for me until we get the 360 port.

But I'm really glad people are so enthused about this one. I was worried Cave had lost the magic, with their branching out into iOS stuff and nonsense like Nin2Jump... apparently not!
Isn't that a little bit too optimistic? ;(

SOME-MIST

Bah, even Cave must realize they've gotta port it to 360.

I will literally bomb their office if they only port it to iOS. So if you see me on the news: yeah, I did it.
I'll be your lookout, because I NEED to play this with an arcade stick and traveling to japan just to play it isn't an option. I probably wouldn't have felt this way if I didn't watch that 1CC vid.

Danny Dudekisser

Could be worse.
<---Droid user.

At least your phone is less of an obnoxious piece of shit than an iPhone, then.

ANYWAYz, even if they didn't bring it over, you could just man up and buy the PCB. Seems like Ima have to do that for Esprade and the original Dodonpachi anyway, so what's one more?

cue sarcastic "$1700" response.

An Esprade PCB would be nice, considering I haven't played the game in years (why do I still have this avatar?)

No room in this cave for a cabinet though.

Bah, even Cave must realize they've gotta port it to 360.

I will literally bomb their office if they only port it to iOS. So if you see me on the news: yeah, I did it.

But isn't it possible that there just won't be a console port in the next few years, but on a next gen platform later?
Anyway, going iOS only woud really suck.

japtor

But isn't it possible that there just won't be a console port in the next few years, but on a next gen platform later?
Anyway, going iOS only woud really suck.
Yeah I'm thinking next gen port just cause the time between the arcade release (is it officially out now or still location testing?) and console release, how long was it for previous games? Wii U will be out this year so "next gen" isn't that far off potentially.

Danny Dudekisser

Yeah I'm thinking next gen port just cause the time between the arcade release (is it officially out now or still location testing?) and console release, how long was it for previous games? Wii U will be out this year so "next gen" isn't that far off potentially.

WiiU is current gen.

But anyway, I can't see Cave ditching the 360 just because that's where their fanbase is now... there's no good reason for them to move to something newer, especially when next gen systems won't be out until at least 2013. They're not making Gears of War 4, they're making a glorified SNES game.

An Esprade PCB would be nice, considering I haven't played the game in years (why do I still have this avatar?)

No room in this cave for a cabinet though.

I loled.

I'd just get a supergun for the sake of space-saving. Been meaning to build one for like 3 years now... maybe someday, I'll actually do it.

japtor

WiiU is current gen.

But anyway, I can't see Cave ditching the 360 just because that's where their fanbase is now... there's no good reason for them to move to something newer, especially when next gen systems won't be out until at least 2013. They're not making Gears of War 4, they're making a glorified SNES game.
Well it's next gen at least until it's out. Not sure where the fan base is now a huge deal since the fan base is full of the rabid type to buy a console for their games, if not the PCBs themselves (...and there's people on the other side of the spectrum just recently discovering them through the mobile releases). Also consider how the 360 is in Japan at this point, well not that it was ever good but it's not like it's getting any better there.

Since it's not coming to the 360 I don't think that will be much of a problem!

We will see ... They also said that MF was the last region-free game. I'm sure if enough people ask them to port it to the 360, they will. Btw. after watching the 1CC, I'll have to say that the game looks amazing, the backgrounds are probably the best looking ones in a cave so far.

I'd put money on SDOJ coming to both 360 and iOS down the line...just sayin'.

It's likely. I think I might have every cave shooter for iOS, because I can actually afford those, so hurray for that! :D

Finally cleared DDPR and BP2 on iOS, really want to get them for 360 now.

Also a random question to any of you guys playing on an iPad, how do you hold the stupid thing? It works great for me on an iPhone, I can just move with my thumb and tap with my other hand for laser/bomb, but iPads are just too big to hold, and smart covers only elevate things to a good hands-free level in landscape. Really irritating to have to try putting the iPad in my lap at an awkward angle or putting it on a flat surface and look down on it like a frigging cocktail cabinet.

SOME-MIST

Well it's next gen at least until it's out. Not sure where the fan base is now a huge deal since the fan base is full of the rabid type to buy a console for their games, if not the PCBs themselves (...and there's people on the other side of the spectrum just recently discovering them through the mobile releases). Also consider how the 360 is in Japan at this point, well not that it was ever good but it's not like it's getting any better there.

not to mention that the move to WiiU would be somewhat logical since they're making touch screen games already.. I'd imagine the touch screen WiiU controller would work just the same.

not to mention that the move to WiiU would be somewhat logical since they're making touch screen games already.. I'd imagine the touch screen WiiU controller would work just the same.

WiiU being a resistive touch screen that does not support multi touch would complicate that though. It wouldn't be super straight forward.

SOME-MIST

true, but then you could also use the buttons on the controller to switch bullet style, bomb, or utilize any other type of advanced mechanic while just guiding with the screen.

Or they could skip the whole touch screen option and use the additional screen for different display modes.

not going to lie though, I don't really want to purchase a WiiU and would prefer if Cave stuck to 360..

true, but then you could also use the buttons on the controller to switch bullet style, bomb, or utilize any other type of advanced mechanic while just guiding with the screen.

Or they could skip the whole touch screen option and use the additional screen for different display modes.

not going to lie though, I don't really want to purchase a WiiU and would prefer if Cave stuck to 360..
On the other hand, they have to switch to another platform at some point, if they keep doing console ports. Don't think they'll make 360 ports in three years anymore, aside the fact they said Mushi would be their last anyway.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but there's no reason for them to make the jump now before the other consoles are announced. As there's really no apparent advantage to wiiu over 360/ps3 besides the touch screen(which seems like a poor fit for their games anyways at the moment)

I'd rather them develop for Vita than Wiiu(I really don't want to buy a wiiu. Less developers I care about shifting to the platform the better for me. :x)

japtor

It's likely. I think I might have every cave shooter for iOS, because I can actually afford those, so hurray for that! :D

Finally cleared DDPR and BP2 on iOS, really want to get them for 360 now.

Also a random question to any of you guys playing on an iPad, how do you hold the stupid thing? It works great for me on an iPhone, I can just move with my thumb and tap with my other hand for laser/bomb, but iPads are just too big to hold, and smart covers only elevate things to a good hands-free level in landscape. Really irritating to have to try putting the iPad in my lap at an awkward angle or putting it on a flat surface and look down on it like a frigging cocktail cabinet.
I actually play it most on an exercise bike, I ghetto rigged the front to hold the iPad (just for stuff in general) and it happened to work fine and be at a high enough angle for games.
Yeah but there's no reason for them to make the jump now before the other consoles are announced. As there's really no apparent advantage to wiiu over 360/ps3 besides the touch screen(which seems like a poor fit for their games anyways at the moment)

I'd rather them develop for Vita than Wiiu(I really don't want to buy a wiiu. Less developers I care about shifting to the platform the better for me. :x)
Yeah it depends on the timing, if it's going to be a quick turnaround I wouldn't completely rule out the 360, but the more it gets spaced out who knows. For Japan the Wii U probably can't get any worse than the 360, and otherwise vs the PS3 I don't know other than the newness factor vs another console that'd be getting phased out eventually.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
WiiU is current gen.

But anyway, I can't see Cave ditching the 360 just because that's where their fanbase is now... there's no good reason for them to move to something newer, especially when next gen systems won't be out until at least 2013. They're not making Gears of War 4, they're making a glorified SNES game..

At least your phone is less of an obnoxious piece of shit than an iPhone, then..

try harder, trollol

BOTEC

Was it widely known that DDP Daifukkatsu Black Label was getting a budget re-release this week? 'Cause I found out about it just now. Pre-ordered with he quickness.

danmaku

It depends on what they want to do next. If they are still making arcade shooters (and I hope so), there's no reason at all to abandon the 360 for WiiU or Vita, the install base would be even smaller than the 360 and they don't need extra power to run their games. Or they could just abandon consoles and port their games to iOS only, but at this point porting a game to the 360 is very cheap and I don't see why they would stop selling expensive discs when their (few) fans are more than happy to buy them. I think that even their worst selling ports (like the Pink/Pork compilation) were still profitable.

If they want to move away from arcades, the most sensible choice would be (*sigh*) iOS/3DS/Android.

Yes Boss!

Was it widely known that DDP Daifukkatsu Black Label was getting a budget re-release this week? 'Cause I found out about it just now. Pre-ordered with he quickness.

Not wildly known but it was mentioned in this thread a bit back...there is also the platinum normal Daifukkatsu and the double-pack at reduced cost.

The new platinum cases with the grey are really classy looking.

BOTEC

Not wildly known but it was mentioned in this thread a bit back...there is also the platinum normal Daifukkatsu and the double-pack at reduced cost.

The new platinum cases with the grey are really classy looking.

Ah, gotcha. Must have missed that. Is the double pack literally two discs in a box? I thought last month's Daifukkatsu Platinum also had Black Label content patched in.

I'm sure it has been mentioned, but Amazon has had May 16 listed as the release date for Akai Katana, but I hadn't seen a date at any other retailer. GameStop started taking reservations today with a May 16th ship date($39.99). I'll be busy with Diablo, but I'll still be picking this up day one.

Does anyone remember what came with the LE in Japan? Was it in-game content? Something we might get on disc?

I'm sure it has been mentioned, but Amazon has had May 16 listed as the release date for Akai Katana, but I hadn't seen a date at any other retailer. GameStop started taking reservations today with a May 16th ship date($39.99). I'll be busy with Diablo, but I'll still be picking this up day one.

Does anyone remember what came with the LE in Japan? Was it in-game content? Something we might get on disc?

The LE came with a soundtrack CD and used different artwork for the cover/disc. First press copies (regardless of which edition you purchased) had a DLC code for full voice, which added voice acting to the ending and a lot of incidental chatter inside the game itself.

Akai Katana... good? I must have missed the discussion in this thread...

I thought it was pretty fun, but a lot of people I know who have played Cave's games for years dismissed it as boring and didn't bother spending more time with it after 1CCing it.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

SOME-MIST

out of all cave games, AKS has by far my favorite scoring system/mechanics. I love shmups that use "external arms" like the shikigami's in guwange or the minions in deathsmiles, and I love how you have to run it through bullets in order to build up energy to build up your gold. It's almost like "scraping" which is also another game mechanic I like (like in psyvariar).

I've only spent time in arcade mode and it took me roughly 50-70 hours to 1CC, but I'm taking a break from it for the time being to try out the other 2 modes.

Top Bottom