• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Male Stars Are Too Buff Now

Also, these celebrities really get the benefit of the doubt on screen. Editing really puts more size on them. Watch videos of Cavil or Tom Hardy training or even photos of them on set. Their bodies are radically different.

Kelsdesu

Makes me think of what the first shots of Iron Fist came out, and everyone was shitting on Finn Jones for not being up to standards.

NW0YLke.jpg

Like, seriously? Dude looks better than 98% of men on the planet. You're complaining he's not at 99%? I don't get it.

I still think he looks bad for the role. Not his fault given the timeframe.

Anung

Un Rama
Makes me think of what the first shots of Iron Fist came out, and everyone was shitting on Finn Jones for not being up to standards.

NW0YLke.jpg

Like, seriously? Dude looks better than 98% of men on the planet. You're complaining he's not at 99%? I don't get it.

He's supposed to be a kung-fu master living weapon trained most of his life in the art of battle.

He looks like he should be serving me at Starbucks.

jaekeem

Read the Dan Stevens thing above. Dehydrating oneself for one shirtless scene is quit similar to that.

It wouldn't be much of an issue if it were just about dudes losing a bit of beer gut and getting in shape. The workout plans and dehydrating shit for the camera is on a whole new level, quite similar to what actresses go through. It's not okay.

what's so bad about this, I don't understand

there's nothing unrealistic about Stevens' physique at all

if he did some dehydration movie magic shenaniagns behind the scenes to make the shot/marketing as effective as possible...but people are only seeing what's below...I'm confused as to what the problem is.

Is this a ridiculous body or something, even by normal people standards?

Dan-bulked-up-stripped-down-his-role-thriller.gif

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
I still remember being in the theatre and during the Hemsworth shirtless scene hearing women audibly gasp no joke when the top came off.

At that point I knew Marvel knew exactly what they were doing

Man, would have hated to be on cleanup duty after that screening.

Bronx-Man

Banned
He's supposed to be a kung-fu master living weapon trained most of his life in the art of battle.

He looks like he should be serving me at Starbucks.

The show sucks, but isn't the whole point that he's a privileged twerp that doesn't even deserve to be the Iron Fist?

Don't see it as an issue as long as they aren't using steroids or being digitally altered significantly to create impossible standards, but I'm sure all of that happens.

Simplet

Nah, It's crazy to think how lazy movie stars used to be with their physique. I think i look better than nearly any supposed "action star" from the 50s-70s just by casually working out every day, but Arnold changed the game and gave us higher ideals to strive for and we're all better off for it.

This was "fit and sexy" before? Hard to imagine...
604cd50c33b2d1e0ff3eb0f669ae473d.jpg

The dude not only looks great, he looks exactly like Roger Federer (the greatest tennis player of all time, and a physical monster).

I'd love to see the Rock in his current shape try to play tennis, he would probably trip over himself and break his face during the first game.

Nachos

lol people that say this shit must just not work out

Yup. If you're boring or socially awkward when you're unhealthy, growing muscles won't suddenly grow you charisma. You'll largely be the same dweeb, since the muscles were only a part of the equation anyway.

People absolutely should get healthier, but a ton of them see getting fit as a way to metamorphose into someone completely different – to escape who they are. Humans aren't butterflies; it don't work like that. You have to put the work into the other aspects of your life, too. Not to mention that if insecurity was what drove you, it'll be resilient enough to survive your removing its source.

Yeah, I think it's a problem

Some of these physiques are literally impossible without chemical help

Some are theoretically possible but require you to starve yourself for months and it probably take five times as long for someone who is natural rather than using those Hollywood chemicals

Unrealistic body standards are damaging for men and women alike

Money usually leads to better bods. Look at all the rich families on instagram and they're usually fit / not overweight. Maintaining a nice bod nowadays is pretty easy as well.

Chris Pratt in Guardians of the Galaxy isn't that difficult to achieve. You can see bods like that at the beach just hanging out.

NW0YLke.jpg

It's the role, not his shape as compared to other guys. He doesn't look like he could karate chop his way out of a cardboard box. I wasn't expecting or even wanting a Cap or Thor for the part, just a guy who looks like he's actually trained a bit in his life (or all his life as per the character). Finn just looks like an overcooked noodle here. I like the guy, but that's no Iron Fist. That's the problem.

Kinyou

NW0YLke.jpg

True, but I'd also blame the marketing team here a little. The obvious focus of that picture is his physique, so it's a bit weird to show it off this prominently when it's not all that exceptional compared to the other "super heroes".

J_Viper

It doesn't.

It did for me

I was a 120 lbs throughout high school. Because of this, I had zero luck with the ladies, and had negative self image issues through school.

When Evans and Hemsworth showed off their physiques in Cap and Thor, when I was a senior, it inspired me to get into the gym and make a positive change in my life.

I'm still ways off from my idols like Cavill, Evans, and Jackman, but it's because of their insane physiques that I got off my ass and worked for something. Looking exactly like those dudes on screen is perhaps impossible, but to get close is certainly achievable.

If you don't like going to the gym, that's cool, I understand completely, but that's on you.

And that's not targeted at you, Bobby Roberts, but at the article in general. It's god damn ridiculous.

theytookourjobz

As a guy who has spent the last eight years changing my body from a fat shit to something a lot of you would apparently deem gross and disgusting, I take exception. Most of these guys are playing superheroes or fucking navy seals and honestly they aren't even that big (besides Dwayne Johnson). You don't need drugs or even awesome genetics to have a great physique. Just work hard and eat for your goals.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
a lot of swole shaming in this thread calling these men disgusting and gross
I'm not calling them disgusting and gross, I'm calling the process of 'roiding up and dehydrating oneself and all the craziness disgusting and gross.

Getting in shape is fine. Abusing one's body to such extremes for a look that isn't even attractive (see: the Rock on the right side pic) is insane.

a lot of swole shaming in this thread calling these men disgusting and gross

Eh not really. I'm in pretty decent shape and I'd imagine there are others in here that are as well (I'm not ultra jacked of course)

I've noted I think Hemsworth, Evans, etc look awesome. The only one who stands out really poorly to me is Efron. Too little body fat and overly dehydrated

Sorry but I don't agree..
There were always a LOT of buff actor, but the trend of the genre at the times didn't really fit along those lines...
Nowdays the fad is superhero movies...
Guess how are superheroes (at least old school ones)?
Chubby? Or fit as fuck as they basically in the "lore" of their respective characters they fight continuously and train to fight even more?

And get a grip..
This is films, this is not about your everyday life..
You want to be a fat hikikomori? Sure..
You want to be just a bit fit? Fine..
You want to be fit as stars? Also fine..
It's your life and your body..
But don't kid yourself, just like most males would go for a fit attractive woman, rather than someone with a nice character but un-alluring form, it's the same for most females...

I don't get it..
For topics like lbgt gaf seems the heaven of "live your life how you want", on other topics it's like" the big media are forcing us to change yadda-yadda"..
These actors are doing the best they can to be able to work currently in the cinema "theme" landscape..
Is it bad?
If you ask me, nope..
Everybody does some sacrifice for their work... theirs are just in line with their paycheck..

Meowster

Nah, It's crazy to think how lazy movie stars used to be with their physique. I think i look better than nearly any supposed "action star" from the 50s-70s just by casually working out every day, but Arnold changed the game and gave us higher ideals to strive for and we're all better off for it.

604cd50c33b2d1e0ff3eb0f669ae473d.jpg
this looks better than any of the other pictures in this thread fyi

Dayum

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
If it inspires kids and adults to take care of their bodies more, then I am all for buff/athletic movie stars.

It doesn't.

I'd argue it's even worse than the has to be skinny like a model girls go through, because it's basically jamming your body full of drugs to build muscle, ignore the body warnings through drug use, altering your hormones, etc. If The Rock has any balls left, I'd be surprised.

It did for me

I was a 120 lbs throughout high school. Because of this, I had zero luck with the ladies, and had negative self image issues through school.

When Evans and Hemsworth showed off their physiques in Cap and Thor, when I was a senior, it inspired me to get into the gym and make a positive change in my life.

I'm still ways off from my idols like Cavill, Evans, and Jackman, but it's because of their insane physiques that I got off my ass and worked for something. Looking exactly like those dudes on screen is perhaps impossible, but to get close is certainly achievable.

If you don't like going to the gym, that's cool, I understand completely, but that's on you.

And that's not targeted at you, Bobby Roberts, but at the article in general. It's god damn ridiculous.

Looking great mate, just the right amount of fat imo.

Dolobill

You don't need drugs to achieve a Chris Pratt body. Most men just don't strength train and think they shouldn't have to. They should. Being as sedentary as most people are now is not natural.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's the role, not his shape as compared to other guys. He doesn't look like he could karate chop his way out of a cardboard box. I was expecting or even wanting a Cap or Thor for the part, just a guy who looks like he's actually trained a bit in his life (or all his life as per the character). Finn just looks like an overcooked noodle here. I like the guy, but that's no Iron Fist. That's the problem.
Eh. I've known karate guys who kick ass while being absurdly skinny. But I guess reality is unrealistic and people won't find a martial artist believable unless he's buff like a superhero or something :p

oneils

I thought the point made about the leftovers was funny. The whole time I was watching it I was like "he drinks all the time and blacks out, when the fuck does he ever work out?"

Eh. I've known karate guys who kick ass while being absurdly skinny. But I guess reality is unrealistic and people won't find a martial artist believable unless he's buff like a superhero or something :p

Most MMA guys look great, certainly compared to the national average. Is it so much to ask that someone who's job it is to look good do the same?

Sean Connery's body was a hit then and would continue to be a hit now.

His height also helps, obv.

Young Brando also was nowhere near as jacked as dudes today, but would still obv continue to be a major hit, as gosling and co show.

Eh, you need strength behind hits. A thin karate guy will lose against a fit karate guy of the same skill level. A thin guy with some grappling training could beat a bigger guy who just throws hands.

That guy doesn't even look like he can run a KM in under 5 minutes or do 5 pushups. There's, like, no muscle definition that comes with light workouts. That photo looks like he's puffing out his chest as well. Justin Bieber looks stronger.

ldar247

Banned
How long would it take to build a okay-ish body if you start out with nothing? Like I'm probably going to be 125-130lbs at 5'9'' with no muscle when I'm done dieting. Would B&Cing with 400mg tren and 200mg test for a year at a small surplus do it?

Top Bottom