• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Male Stars Are Too Buff Now

Bronx-Man

Banned
I blame the rock

Seriously. Dude went from this

img003.jpg

to this

therockweb__square.jpg

How the fuck do you manage to look even bigger than when you were literally a wrestler?

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
It does inspire me to stick with my weightlifting routine in a minor way.
How else am I going to get Cap's 'I-can-bicep-curl-a-goddamn-helicopter'-type arms.

Well, drugs, clearly.

This article/thread is making me consider looking into the meds side of things, for sure.

Kite

More people are flexing their purchasing power nowadays, people want both male and female eye-candy. I'm not sure why this is supposed to be a bad thing.. am I supposed to be insecure and depressed that I don't look like these guys who dedicate half the day to working out and eating right? It motives me to work out and once in a while put down the free donuts and kolaches at work.

Anyhow there are plenty of A list actors who merely look in-shape and not jacked superheroes, sounds like a non-issue to me.

Blader

In the only instance of an effective trickle-down economy, muscles today are ubiquitous to the point of pointlessness: Why does Ben Stiller have abs? Does Kevin Hart need to be so jacked? Does the depressed, alcoholic small-town police chief on The Leftovers need an eight-pack?

Counterpoint: Maybe they want to have cut abs and look jacked.

I still remember being in the theatre and during the Hemsworth shirtless scene hearing women audibly gasp no joke when the top came off.

At that point I knew Marvel knew exactly what they were doing

Nah, It's crazy to think how lazy movie stars used to be with their physique. I think i look better than nearly any supposed "action star" from the 50s-70s just by casually working out every day, but Arnold changed the game and gave us higher ideals to strive for and we're all better off for it.

This was "fit and sexy" before? Hard to imagine...
604cd50c33b2d1e0ff3eb0f669ae473d.jpg

What is considered buff has changed so much, something like this was the pinnacle of human physique at one time

I mean trying to look like that without modern work-out equipment, supplements, dieting options, etc. is probably just as difficult as what these actors are doing with all the $$$ and technology today.

collige

Banned
Nah, It's crazy to think how lazy movie stars used to be with their physique. I think i look better than nearly any supposed "action star" from the 50s-70s just by casually working out every day, but Arnold changed the game and gave us higher ideals to strive for and we're all better off for it.
How exactly are we better off now?

jaekeem

I think the article is paternalistic

comparing getting ripped and cut to body problems perpetuated by the female modeling industry? really?

is starving yourself to the levels necessary to maintain a victoria's secret model's waist really comparable to eating cleaner and bulking to put on muscle? additionally, why are we comparing real-life models to fictional characters like Thor or Captain America? are they really so similar?

this article reads like someone with an outsider's perspective on what putting on muscle entails. the lifestyle changes that the average guy needs to make to look more like a movie star are, for the most part, good changes. eat less shit food; get sleep; stick to a regimen; and etc.

if somebody is going to get on gear...let's not pretend like this movie star trend is something new in that regard or influence...we've had professional athletes and bodybuilders essentially having the same impact on men for decades already.

zeshakag

I will agree that the -average- standard of buffness in movies is high, but

if you have a movie about Hercules, or Captain America, you better cast someone fucking huge.

This still looks fit and sexy. I'm sure if asked a larger percentage of people would rather have and/or look like this than a giant muscle freak with all the unrealistic work that goes along with it.

Unobtainable (goals and people) sells better than obtainable, this is how fashion works.

xaosslug

this sounds more like some sort of "men's rights" mess peeps are trying to make happen than an actual issue. I mean you more often than not see an out of shape guy starring opposite some victoria's secret model than an out of shape women opposite some men's fitness dude. Let's get it together, please.

Bert409

To be honest the main reason I don't particually strive to get that big is I don't want to eat and spend money on a shit-ton of food. I'm cool with whatever 2500 calories a day and and lifting four hours a week gets me.

jph139

Makes me think of what the first shots of Iron Fist came out, and everyone was shitting on Finn Jones for not being up to standards.

NW0YLke.jpg

Like, seriously? Dude looks better than 98% of men on the planet. You're complaining he's not at 99%? I don't get it.

DevilDog

To be honest the main reason I don't particually strive to get that big is I don't want to eat and spend money on a shit-ton of food. I'm cool with whatever 2500 calories a day and and lifting four hours a week gets me.

I'm just lazy.

Rayis

I blame America's decadent culture of excess, also largely the same reason for the obesity epidemic we suffer, there's a tendency to over-correct for that and hence you get the unrealistic body standards.

Makes me think of what the first shots of Iron Fist came out, and everyone was shitting on Finn Jones for not being up to standards.

NW0YLke.jpg

Like, seriously? Dude looks better than 98% of men on the planet. You're complaining he's not at 99%? I don't get it.

It's his job to look good. Why should he not be held to a higher standard when people 8+ hour office jobs can do better on their free time.

As opposed to, say, the '80s where two of the biggest stars were Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Aha, but they were the "exception", not the STANDARD.

I'm a big horror buff, and you see the this difference in that genre as well. where now the "teens" are all unbelievably ripped, as opposed to the more "normal bodied" teens of 70s and 80s horror. The only time you had exceptions back then is when a character WAS not hiding the fact they were either a model or athlete. Everybody else was "fit" in the way that they still had a layer of fat on their body and looked more natural because of that.

I think the whole facination with ultra-buff, ultra-cut bodies happened during that time in the late-90s/early 00s era, post-Baywatch and during the time MTV was culling "normies" from Real World and only putting sexy young people in their reality shows (remember Real World started out with normal looking people? LOL, "normal looking people" don't matter in reality, I guess.).

It sounds like some men are having body issues with unrealistic expectations on screen. Man, why don't women ever have to deal with these issues =(

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If it inspires kids and adults to take care of their bodies more, then I am all for buff/athletic movie stars.
Some do, some don't. If you watch behind the scenes features, they're constantly working out before takes to have a pump; and for shirtless scenes prepare days in advance. Jackman dehydrates himself when he knows there's a shirtless scenes coming up.
lol

It doesn't.
That too.

Zac Efron was better when he was a twink tbh. He just looks weird now.
This name kept coming up in this thread and I had no idea who this guy was. So I google, dude doesn't look familiar. Then I skim through his Wikipedia page, and see a vaguely familiar face in a pic from 10 years ago... "OK wait I've seen this guy before, but in what..."

Turns out ...He wa young Simon Tam in Firefly? Hahahaha fuck. Yeah no way I would have recognized him today.

Zac efron just pushes it too much.

jwMYPMk.jpg

That's not just a trained dude, that's someone who's part of a bodybuilder contest and spend the last few hours dehydrating himself
The Rock:
from WWF (left) to Hollywood (right)
534854_358543117547136_637618262_n.jpg

'roids are hall of a drug
Yeah. Those are disgusting and not even attractive. :\

Here's how Dan Stevens prepared for his shirtless scene in The Guest:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2980592/trivia
Yeah this is super fucked up. Even if they're paid millions, this is just gross.

This is what a real human strong guy looks like:

336.jpg

He's in great shape, and it actually looks like he achieved it by actually working his entire life. That didn't come out of a bottle, it didn't come from a weird hardcore Hollywood workout routine, and he'd beat the snot out of someone like Chris Pratt if it came down to it.

None of that modern vain nonsense. Just a healthy guy. And a badass. Guys going on real adventures and doing shit aren't hanging out in gyms 24/7. They're too busy being cool.
Agreed! This is wayyyy sexier than all those roided up dudes.

Sex sells. Women are more interested biologically in a man that works out.
Are you a woman? Who are you to tell me what I'm attracted to?

"Better off"? No. This dude looks better than almost any of the super-ripped action stars of today. For one thing, he looks human...

I think the article is paternalistic

comparing getting ripped and cut to body problems perpetuated by the female modeling industry? really?

is starving yourself to the levels necessary to maintain a victoria's secret model's waist really comparable to eating cleaner and bulking to put on muscle?
Read the Dan Stevens thing above. Dehydrating oneself for one shirtless scene is quit similar to that.

It wouldn't be much of an issue if it were just about dudes losing a bit of beer gut and getting in shape. The workout plans and dehydrating shit for the camera is on a whole new level, quite similar to what actresses go through. It's not okay.

Top Bottom