• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Male Stars Are Too Buff Now

Draper

You also gotta factor in the guy that they used as an example. Brad Pitt is gonna get a the vote no matter what shape he's in. The guy just looks good. On the other hand all the guys in Magic Mike are bigger than Pitt in Fight Club and I've never seen any girl complain about them being too buff.

I want that bod.

I still want it to get to the point where all of Hollywood just looks like Brian Cage. That's the sort of entertainment future I'm striving for... Let normal people have normal bodies and "stars" have the bizarrely overly muscular ones. No middle ground!

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
The Rock:
from WWF (left) to Hollywood (right)
534854_358543117547136_637618262_n.jpg

'roids are hall of a drug
The left is not WWE, the left was post WWE, early Hollywood. He's talked in interviews about that specific picture, and he says he felt pressure to lose weight when he started acting. Producers felt the Arnold type physique wasn't marketable, so he was told to get smaller. If you ever watch the special features for The Rundown he talks about losing weight as a "character choice," when it was really to get the job.

Anarion07

As for Efron, with hard work over a couple of years it is achievable without steroids.

I used to be in a similar shape. Had I done some dehydration and stuff, I might have looked quite similar to that (with more chest). Took me 5 years though.

All I "took" was creatine and some pre-workout stuff.

In the end what this does is propagate unrealistic body images for men, just as it's been happening with women for decades now. And it's similarly unhealthy.

Sure, it's good and healthy to stay in shape, but for the vast majority of people it'll be unhealthy to reach that kind of physique without sacrificing a somewhat healthy work(out)-life-balance...

You can see that most of the stars can never upkeep their physique even with their access to money and personal trainers...

Anarion07

In the end what this does is propagate unrealistic body images for men, just as it's been happening with women for decades now. And it's similarly unhealthy.

Sure, it's good and healthy to stay in shape, but for the vast majority of people it'll be unhealthy to reach that kind of physique with a somewhat healthy work(out)-life-balance...

You can see that most of the starts can never upkeep their physique even with their access to money and personal trainers...

That's true. I spent a LOT of time at the gym back then since I was going through a break-up. If it wasn't for that, I guess I wouldn't have achieved that kind of level.
You have to put a HUGE amount of time into it, and at some point you're just not that motivated anymore

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Sure, it's good and healthy to stay in shape, but for the vast majority of people it'll be unhealthy to reach that kind of physique with a somewhat healthy work(out)-life-balance...

You can see that most of the starts can never upkeep their physique even with their access to money and personal trainers...
Being lean makes these guys look bigger than what they really are. The main pillars of a "fitness model" type of physique build are cardio, weight lifting and clean eating. Which are all perfectly healthy.

And no one walks around in peak condition all the time. Most people aren't going to cry themselves to sleep because they don't look like Goku 24/7. With the obesity rate being what it is, I don't think "unhealthy amounts of exercise" is in the top 10 health issues for the western world.

Harmen

Being lean makes these guys look bigger than what they really are. The main pillars of a "fitness model" type of physique build are cardio, weight lifting and clean eating. Which are all perfectly healthy.

And no one walks around in peak condition all the time. Most people aren't going to cry themselves to sleep because they don't look like Goku 24/7. With the obesity rate being what it is, I don't think "unhealthy amounts of exercise" is in the top 10 health issues for the western world.

I agree. But don't underestimate the lack of knowledge of the average joe hitting the gym to "get jacked", and what kind of shortcuts they try to make. In every gym I have attended, there were more than a few young dudes with fucked up body proportions. Significant forward head posture (this one is really prevalent even amongst fitness buffs), shoulders protruding to the front (leading to a hunchback-esque posture), skipping legs, no cardio, no stretching, bulking by just eating a lot of calories etc. etc. I admire people with good knowledge and dedication, but I am not sure if that applies to most people in gyms.

I would rather have this man's body:

bf1564253d4d902749965d31a3404dda.jpg

or this man's body:

gsp.jpg

or this man's body:

conoras-mcgregoras-eddie-alvarezas-58280c7fb66ba.jpg

than any of the other bodies listed in this thread.

These are the bodies that are fully functional in ways that most closely mimic how our bodies typically would develop naturally without "gym routines" as hunter-gatherers and defenders of the tribe: athletic, coordinated, mobile, explosive, strong, and agile in a balance that equals fucking up the competition like no tomorrow. Our bodies evolved over the course of most of human history to do productive physical work to enable our subsistence from the natural environment (hunt, gather, farm, mine, build, etc.) and defend ourselves against attacks from other persons.

And I am fully aware that these are top level professional athletes and they train a significant amount in the gym lifting weights, but the vast majority of their training is actually practicing specific skills/techniques and sparring with their trainers. Their bodies looking good is a byproduct, not the goal. But somehow, it also winds up looking the best IMO due to the way the development of their physique lines up with how evolution has ultimately anatomically structured the body to perform physical tasks efficiently.

Haunted

I would rather have this man's body:

bf1564253d4d902749965d31a3404dda.jpg

or this man's body:

gsp.jpg

or this man's body:

These are the bodies that are fully functional in ways that most closely mimic how our bodies typically would develop naturally without "gym routines" as hunter-gatherers and defenders of the tribe: athletic, coordinated, mobile, explosive, strong, and agile in a balance that equals fucking up the competition like no tomorrow. Our bodies evolved over the course of most of human history to do productive physical work to enable our subsistence from the natural environment (hunt, gather, farm, mine, build, etc.) and defend ourselves against attacks from other persons.

And I am fully aware that these are top level professional athletes and they train a significant amount in the gym lifting weights, but the vast majority of their training is actually practicing specific skills/techniques and sparring with their trainers. Their bodies looking good is a byproduct, not the goal. But somehow, it also winds up looking the best IMO due to the way the development of their physique lines up with how evolution has ultimately anatomically structured the body to perform physical tasks efficiently.
Agreed, though I hope that the tacky tats are optional.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's well known that being as muscular as humanly possible is the sexiest body.

Similarly, this is why everyone favors women with actual basketball sized breasts and definitely don't make comments about how hideous it is whenever we have a thread about them. Large breasts are favored, so obviously there's no upper limit to this concept in terms of wide appeal attractiveness.

Could you get any more attractive than this?

ZhngLH9.png

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
It's well known that being as muscular as humanly possible is the sexiest body.

Similarly, this is why everyone favors women with actual basketball sized breasts and definitely don't make comments about how hideous it is whenever we have a thread about them. Large breasts are favored, so obviously there's no upper limit to this concept in terms of wide appeal attractiveness.

Its sort of funny to me that the idealized female bodies are slim and have large breasts, since those two traits are contradictory.

Aselith

Solo

Theroux is married to Jennifer Aniston, who is similarly shredded approaching age 50. They probably spend a lot of time in the gym together, plus access to the best personal chefs and trainers in the world.

I think you are missing the point here. Yes there are too many unhealthy, overweight people around. But actors pushing themselves to the limits like this is not the way to go.

They should instead help to propagate healthy, more natural body images...

Cardio, weight lifting and clean eating are all healthy - to an extent. When people start obsessing about their bodies - no matter if female or male - it becomes unhealthy. And I think it's fairly safe to say that our society is already obsessed with perfect bodies.

My fitness goal is to reach shirtless Sean Connery level... Or maybe Harrison Ford.

130515-sunspel-swim-shorts-sean-connery.jpg

If I get something like this, I'd be happy. But I dunno if something like this is possible or healthy for my frame.

I've mentioned this on page 2 I think. They have working muscle that isn't made for show, but a byproduct of their training. I want that and I want to take classes like kick boxing to be fit and feel more confident about my body. I don't want to be crazy buff, I just want to be fit.

Conor McGregor's body is really what I want. I'm jealous.

My fitness goal is to reach shirtless Sean Connery level... Or maybe Harrison Ford.

130515-sunspel-swim-shorts-sean-connery.jpg

If I get something like this, I'd be happy. But I dunno if something like this is possible or healthy for my frame.

VERY attainable, see my prior post :)

Nah, It's crazy to think how lazy movie stars used to be with their physique. I think i look better than nearly any supposed "action star" from the 50s-70s just by casually working out every day, but Arnold changed the game and gave us higher ideals to strive for and we're all better off for it.

This was "fit and sexy" before? Hard to imagine...
604cd50c33b2d1e0ff3eb0f669ae473d.jpg

AgentOtaku said:
This picture is endearing to me as thats how i look AT THAT AGE as well! (34 btw)

How's so? Sensible diet, calisthenics and some cardio.... thats it
I've never felt healthier in my life :)

Top Bottom