• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher S2 |OT| The Gang Visits New Orleans - Mondays 9/8c

The is show vacillates between being extremely dumb (everything with Eugene in hell) and extremely boring (everything else that happened in this slog of an episode). It's almost unwatchable.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The is show vacillates between being extremely dumb (everything with Eugene in hell) and extremely boring (everything else that happened in this slog of an episode). It's almost unwatchable.

Yeah...I didn't really care for Episode 4 either. Didn't hate it, just couldn't find anything particularly interesting. This show is never straightforward about anything. Ever.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Really great episode. Loving this season so far. The fight at the end was really well done, and the Tulip backstory stuff is interesting. Actually wasn't expecting him to be her husband. The Hitler stuff was weird, though.
I thought the Hitler stuff was pretty funny. Kinda reminded me of Bill and Ted's excellent adventure - where one of the most powerful people in the world is a nothing when removed from their time and place.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I'm loving this show...haven't read the comic in a million years so I don't remember shit about it.

Alpende

I agree with people saying the fight scenes are great. I really dug how they used the body during the fight. Good episode.

Does Cassidy not wearing wayfarers/aviators really bother anyone? Like in the comic there was hardly a panel without them.

He needed them because his eyes are sensitive to sunlight.

Viewt

Wow, it's so interesting to read all of the negative responses. I really like this show a lot. I thought Season 1 was overall entertaining, if pretty flawed. I basically stuck it out because I liked the characterizations and I have an affinity for a couple of the actors.

Season 2's been really fun, though. The shift to New Orleans has been perfect, the plot's pacing seems to be ramping up, and it just feels more like Ennis's world.

Speaking of, as a great admirer of the comic series (it might be my favorite of all time), I'm totally onboard with telling the story differently and changing things up. Seeing the exact same story play out would be a bit boring. This allows the show to be a bit of its own thing, but still play out in the spirit and the style of the original. Plus, we've got a wonderful Cassidy. Can't really ask for more than that.

Maybe I'm just easily won over, but I've been enjoying this show a hell of a lot.

Does Cassidy not wearing wayfarers/aviators really bother anyone? Like in the comic there was hardly a panel without them.

I don't mind it, really. The character doesn't seem to be any different - he just isn't wearing sunglasses. (Comics Ending Spoilers)
If they go the comics route for the ending, though, I agree that it'll lose a bit of its impact. Him tossing the shades aside and looking at the sunrise with normal eyes was a really cathartic, touching moment.

Still loving every second of the show. Nothing like it on TV and I find it deliciously weird and fun and entertaining.

I think it would be kind of annoying on the show if he always did

edit: I'm also surprised by how good the fight scenes are. They don't cheap out on them.

I still am gonna do it eventually but I'm glad I haven't read the comics beforehand, seems like it's putting a huge damper on some of y'alls enjoyment of the show. I can get being upset for it not sticking closer to the og storyline and characters but I'm having a blast so far and there's nothing else like it on TV.

It's kinda crazy we are getting action scenes this fun. I would have thought they would have done the typical premiere/finale blowouts but 4 episodes in and they are still bringing it is impressive. Wonder how long they'll keep it up.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

It's much harder for an actor to emote when they're wearing sunglasses.

Man, season 2 is a big step up from season 1 as far as I'm concerned. I never read the comics but I try to watch every show with a premise that interests me and I thought season 1 was a mixed bag. Some good ideas, some good episodes, but very slow at times.

Season 2 really focusses on the great characters right now and it has momentum with the road trip and then the arrival in New Orleans. Very entertaining, funny and interesting.

I would call it a mix between The Leftovers, From Dusk Tilll Dawn (the movie) and American Gods. Its great how more and more series are trying to challenge the viewer with stranger storybeats and universes that are like ours but kinda 'off'.

LaMagenta

I'd watch the show even if Cassidy was the only character left. I know, there wouldn't be a show without the other 2, but he is such a likeable character.

I'd watch the show even if Cassidy was the only character left. I know, there wouldn't be a show without the other 2, but he is such a likeable character.

It could just be an irish vampire version of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

"Y'know padre I think I'm goin' to vegas, bye!"

And the show just follows him and all his weird acquaintances, and debauchery. It'd probably be a better show.

Jarlaxle

I've really been enjoying this show this season. I wasn't a huge fan of the last season until the final 2 episodes.

I loved the comic back when I read it but it's been quite awhile now and I don't remember ever single minutia of it (thank god) so changes aren't bothering me. I've come to terms that this is something entirely different with some similar events/people at times.

I do think the show has finally found the right tone with this season though. I'm constantly sitting there with a smile on my face or laughing at the absurdity of it. It's fun watching with my wife as well who never read the comics and we're both just enjoying the madness.

"Does Cassidy not wearing wayfarers/aviators really bother anyone? Like in the comic there was hardly a panel without them."

It's one of the best aspects of his character in the comics, so yeah.

Viktor was right about Jesse being an asshole at times. Especially with the way he came at Cassidy and bloodied his roommates face in the flashback.

Saint of Killers isn't much for talking, is he?

The opening with Tulip trying to calm Jesse down was well done.

KAOz

Short bus special

I always thought he wore them because
his eyes where all fucked up from years of drugabuse combined with his vampirism. There is a panel when he and Tulip is in a dark hotelroom and she asks him to put them on again. Mostly for how horrific they are.

But yes. It bothers me.

Sir Doom

As expected a slow episode with nothing to do with the main plot
That was a filler with that repeated montage cuts. A friend whose purpose is to be a punching bag.

You know, I really want to like this show.

I really want to love it, but I can't. These meandering episodes are awful, whenever they try to do anything that isn't in the comics it is mostly awful.

Ironically the Action scenes are always great.
images

"Does Cassidy not wearing wayfarers/aviators really bother anyone? Like in the comic there was hardly a panel without them."

It's one of the best aspects of his character in the comics, so yeah.

I always thought he wore them because
his eyes where all fucked up from years of drugabuse combined with his vampirism. There is a panel when he and Tulip is in a dark hotelroom and she asks him to put them on again. Mostly for how horrific they are.

But yes. It bothers me.

Well, at least I'm not the only one.

Kadayi

Banned
I'm liking the actors and the performances (Tulip was kind of annoying in season 1, but much improved here) but I'm not really digging the pace this season. They setup the interesting premise with the cultists, and then we get two episodes that kind of feel like they could have been condensed into one and a half with some judicious editing. The very fact that we're 5 episodes in and this thread is barely 5 pages deep says a fair bit about peoples apathy towards the show in many ways. I'm not following the numbers, but I can't envisage they're great.

I'll give them props, the fight scenes have been pretty good. The fight between Jessie and the torture dude didn't seem to contain an edit (though I dare say it probably did) and was pretty mental, but I don't think that alone is going to keep the show going, which is a pity.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Funny enough I just caught up with the second season and I can say its easily better than the first, but that's not saying much and the second season is still incredible flawed. I won't say its out right bad but there are so many huge issues with the show. The worst part is I really don't think Rogan and crew have any clue what the Preacher comic was about and are just going for shock for shock's sake and it often feels toothless and just for show. That and the horrendous mishandling of nearly every character.

Obscura

Was Jesse a deranged sociopath in the original too?

Pretty much. Even with the Word of God at your disposal you pretty much have to be a deranged sociopath to make it your lifes goal to track down God.

He was not this big an asshole though.

Personally I'm hating this NOLA storyline. The first two episodes were wonderful. It's been a slog since. I really don't dig on mob boss type stuff though. Give me The Grail and worldwide religious conspiricies and I'll be happy. Having said that... We're almost half way through and we haven't even heard Herr Starr speak. C'mon now... Why even introduce him so early if he isn't legitimately showing up till at least ep 6?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think I'm done with this show. This is the season that's supposed to be an improvement? Absolute garbage and this episode is easily the worst in the series.

Oh boy I hope the episode is not slow
lol, I have bad news

Viktor was right about Jesse being an asshole at times.
At times?

Has there been a time so far where he wasn't a huge asshole?

Was Jesse a deranged sociopath in the original too?
No. I mean sometimes, but he targeted his ire at truly heinous people. He didn't punch an innocent roommate to a pulp or send an innocent boy to hell, for one. He was a "lovable rogue" kind of archetype, not an uptight, pompous, piece of shit sociopath.

Tulip deserves better. She would have had a better SO with Viktor.

ZOONAMI

Yall are doing this show wrong. Watch it baked and it's fucking next level.

I know some of you will say you could say that about anything but that isn't actually true.

Top Bottom