• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Kurita

yonige to make their major debut through unBORDE in september. First full album on September 20.
Another amazing pick up by Warner after WANIMA earlier this year.

Kansoku

New info on la la larks first album: http://natalie.mu/music/news/238305

「Culture Vulture」
8月30日

01. Massive Passive
02. 色彩 -Album Ver.-
03. ハレルヤ
04. end of refrain
05. loop
06. たりない
07. さよならワルツ
08. Q And A -Album Ver.-
09. 失う
10. ego-izm
11. Reset
12. Self

Kurita

I have been listening to some Kenshi Yonezu lately. Pretty solid, i like it.
That recent song of his "Peace Sign" is really good. I want to check out his other stuff.

He is lowkey one of the biggest acts right now (if that makes sense), people don't seem to realize the huuuuge following he has. Really happy for him, he's already one of the greatest for me. Dude has a loooooooong successful career waiting for him (though he was already a huge name in the vocaloid scene).
Can't go wrong with any of his albums really. Diorama, Yankee and Bremen are all incredible on their own right. Hopefully he releases a new album this year.

I loved that song. I really like these ones as well Orion Loser & アイネクライネ

He is lowkey one of the biggest acts right now (if that makes sense), people don't seem to realize the huuuuge following he has. Really happy for him, he's already one of the greatest for me. Dude has a loooooooong successful career waiting for him (though he was already a huge name in the vocaloid scene).
Can't go wrong with any of his albums really. Diorama, Yankee and Bremen are all incredible on their own right. Hopefully he releases a new album this year.

So Awesome, going to look into those songs and albums. I remember listening to orion a little whiles back and loving that as well.

Lotto

Kinda late to the party for this but Shugo Tokumaru's TOSS is incredible, maybe my favorite thing he's ever done. Interesting how he did that album too but weird that it was released in North America about half a year later. Taxi's probably my favorite piece on there but it's all lovely.

Shugo Tokumaru - Taxi

i will maybe make a thread. which section would be best? off topic/off topic community?

I don't know if there is an official place for that sort of thing, but if your goal is general discussion with like-minded people over longer periods of time, OT Community feels like a better fit to me; Off-Topic feels like the place to discuss random stuff short-term, like "wow look at that random US Politics thing" or "sports thing going on now!" or whatever.

I kind of feel like you should also be able to discuss older Japanese music here, but then of course I would say that, I'm an old.

Kurita

That Daoko song is a cover used in an upcoming animation movie. Forever Friends was in the live action version of said movie that was released 2 decades ago.
The main theme for this movie is actually a collab between her and Yonezu Kenshi so I'm excited to hear that since Yonezu is on songwriting duty.
It's featured in the trailer
https://youtu.be/842ACtAIZEo

what albums have come out this year?
You want an exhaustive list or... ?

That Daoko song is a cover used in an upcoming animation movie. Forever Friends was in the live action version of said movie that was released 2 decades ago.
The main theme for this movie is actually a collab between her and Yonezu Kenshi so I'm excited to hear that since Yonezu is on songwriting duty.
It's featured in the trailer
https://youtu.be/842ACtAIZEo

You want an exhaustive list or... ?
Yes. I know my tastes differ from some others so I'd rather just have a list of all the ones you know rather than ones you like.

Kurita

Yes. I know my tastes differ from some others so I'd rather just have a list of all the ones you know rather than ones you like.
I wish there was a better way to help you, but all I can think of is giving you a link to Oricon, which has a week-to-week release schedule
http://www.oricon.co.jp/release/album/jp/
http://www.oricon.co.jp/release/album/ia/ (for indies)
Hope that can do the trick, I think they have the majority of releases listed, some stuff might not be on there.

blanchot

I don't know if there is an official place for that sort of thing, but if your goal is general discussion with like-minded people over longer periods of time, OT Community feels like a better fit to me; Off-Topic feels like the place to discuss random stuff short-term, like "wow look at that random US Politics thing" or "sports thing going on now!" or whatever.

I kind of feel like you should also be able to discuss older Japanese music here, but then of course I would say that, I'm an old.

i feel like this thread is primarily for the latest from the Japanese music scene--which is fine--but ah, nevermind. if there was going to be a thread for the older stuff there'd be a thread already.

TsuXna

UVERworld released setlist of their upcoming album. 18 songs and half of them are new. Can't wait to hear the album it's gonna be so good. They took 3 years to work on it.

Before I found GAF's thread on the subject, I was lurking Popjustice's J-pop thread, and someone there would post each week's new releases along with a list of upcoming stuff. It's only sporadically updated these days, but here's where the 2017 stuff starts. It's pretty comprehensive and most of it comes with handy YouTube links for easy browsing. I find it a bit imposing to go through all of it, which is why I prefer this thread, but there's plenty to mine if you so desire.

i feel like this thread is primarily for the latest from the Japanese music scene--which is fine--but ah, nevermind. if there was going to be a thread for the older stuff there'd be a thread already.

I wish I could help, but my pre-2000s knowledge is spotty at best (mainly Taeko Ohnuki, Pizzicato Five, a light sprinkling of Puffy, and random shibuya-kei castoffs). I mean, hell, my CURRENT knowledge is still pretty spotty, I definitely don't keep up with the idol scene or the Kurita scene. Still, I feel like we've talked about older material before--maybe just try bringing it up here and see if anyone bites? (If you've already done this in the past and got nothing, my apologies.)

I feel like this year's been weirdly sparse with albums for music I like. Looking through my library and youtube playlist, there's as many singles and videos as a normal year, but only just a handful of full length albums.

--

Rei "Tumblin’"

I feel like one day she'll make a song that clicks with me. not today. but the video's cute.

I've been having fun exploring the different ways of listening to the new 3776 double ep, a sort of mini idol Zaireeka. The two versions can be listened to separately and in some cases sound like completely different songs, or they can be listened to simultaneously on different systems (or mixed down with audio software). What's really interesting is that the two versions of each song have slightly different lengths, but that time difference is a very specific amount so that the tracks still sync up in different ways whether you align them at the start or at the end. When they perform live, the two members each have their own stage some distance from the other, so you can wander between them or stay at one. An example of a performance combined into one video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ner6AKTb1RU

Before I found GAF's thread on the subject, I was lurking Popjustice's J-pop thread, and someone there would post each week's new releases along with a list of upcoming stuff. It's only sporadically updated these days, but here's where the 2017 stuff starts. It's pretty comprehensive and most of it comes with handy YouTube links for easy browsing. I find it a bit imposing to go through all of it, which is why I prefer this thread, but there's plenty to mine if you so desire.

That would be me. Unfortunately discussion has died down in that thread in the past couple years but the calendar has sort of become my method of keeping track of / discovering new music, so I'll keep doing it. Also it's not comprehensive but a subjective list of what I'm interested in or think is notable in some way.

I feel like this year's been weirdly sparse with albums for music I like. Looking through my library and youtube playlist, there's as many singles and videos as a normal year, but only just a handful of full length albums.

I should work on a mid-year list but right now I can say with some certainty that my top three albums would be:

unizzz... - hello (the album that came out of nowhere and delivered everything I didn't realize I was looking for)

Kayoko Yoshizawa - Yaneura-ju (no other current Japanese singer has a voice that emotionally resonates with me so much and her songwriting is brilliant)

Yanakoto Sotto Mute - BUBBLE (even though I first heard most of these songs last year this album is about as flawless as an idol album can get)

Yanakoto Sotto Mute - BUBBLE (even though I first heard most of these songs last year this album is about as flawless as an idol album can get)

I always knew you were a good one.

---

here's an upload of that streamed BiSH concert from yesterday.

Watanabe announced the results of the publicity event he had the girls do recently. They were split up into three teams, each team taking a different city (Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka), and they got points for finding BiSH fans and taking pictures I think? Who knows how he ever actually scores these things.

Winning team gets 300,000 yen, losing team has to eat getemono (bugs and whatnot).

1st:
Team Tokyo (Chitti and Lingling)
2nd:
Team Nagoya (Ayuni and Momoko)
3rd:
Team Osaka (Aina and Atsuko)

--

oh, finally got around to Ebichu's new album, it's actually pretty nice. like, way better than their last one.

Top Bottom