• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Batman Movie |OT| You ever stepped on a LEGO in the pale moonlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this today! It was thoroughly ok. Had some on-point jokes, but most fell flat.

Still, I continue to be disturbed by
the way they insist on portraying Barbara as a love interest.

This one was less sketchy since it was clear they hadn't worked together before.

Is the
giant sea monster
supposed to be
the Cloverfeield monster
? If it is that's awesome. If it isn't I'm going to pretend it is anyway.

Saw it, liked it.

I don't think it's as good as The Lego Movie, but my kids think it's better.

Including the Ninjago trailer seems like a smart idea to me. Had they not shown it, I would have just assumed it to be a complete retread of the tv series and totally ignored it.

Nudull

Banned
Saw it. Was a worthy sequel to The LEGO Movie. Definitely felt a lot more focused thanks to it centering on the DC universe
for the most part
, though not as funny (that may have been due to trailer joke decay hitting LEGO Batman harder).

Can't wait for Ninjago :)

Saw this movie on the 12th with a friend and we ending up liking this movie a lot. It's not better than the Lego movie but it was still good, but I think the audience loved this movie laughing hard at every joke.

This movie was clearly crafted out of love so many call backs and references to Batman you might have missed some stuff like
the classic suit was next to the Reggie suit or that Robin changed into the knighting, and least we forget polkadot man

Illucio

Banned
Saw it, liked it.

I don't think it's as good as The Lego Movie, but my kids think it's better.

Including the Ninjago trailer seems like a smart idea to me. Had they not shown it, I would have just assumed it to be a complete retread of the tv series and totally ignored it.
I agree completely. I would have ignored the film entirely, but it actually looks promising.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I quite enjoyed this. I'm one of the few people on the planet that didn't fall in love with The Lego Movie but this was a considerable step up, at least in my eyes.

I thought the movie was decent (6/10).

Try way to hard to be funny at some parts, but the animation was top notch. I enjoy the countless references. Wish they were a bit Clever tho.

error4041

I was enjoying the movie, but than when The Joker got into the Phantom zone I was like:

uu9pmDP.gif

Johndoey

Banned
Michael Cera as Robin was easily my favorite part of the movie. That character could've been relentlessly annoying and instead he sold the enthusiasm.

dcelw540

It was good but I don't understand is this movie in the same world as the lego movie? No references to it or I couldn't understand if this takes place separately. I liked it though, it was funny the third act is a bit weaker and I hope we do see another sequel because I want to see more robin.

Also...
lego_batman_movie_reference_guide.jpg

This wasn't in the movie... That bummed me out, along with a few other scenes in the trailers. A solid 7.5/10 for me

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Not only that, but:
the Phantom Zone makes little sense as a major plot device until you realize that it is literally the kids toy chest. That's why so many non-Batman villains come out of it. The movie is literally the "Batman fights a T-Rex RAWR" moment of our childhoods.

Yuuup. That was the movie's moment similar to the ending reveal of The Lego Movie.

I thought the Joker's delivery was terrible - same with Harley. It isn't because they were different either - I just found them really weak. I didn't know it was Galifinakis & Slate until I checked after.

This bothered me so much! They literally devoted screen time to showing him getting sent there and there was no sign of him.

I really liked Galifinakis' Joker actually. I thought he did a really good job.

General Zod
actually is in the scene when Joker and all the other bad guys
send Batman to the Phantom Zone.
I don't think I noticed him anywhere else, but he is standing right next to Harley Quinn in that particular part at least.

Blizzard

Banned
I really liked Galifinakis' Joker actually. I thought he did a really good job.

General Zod
actually is in the scene when Joker and all the other bad guys
send Batman to the Phantom Zone.
I don't think I noticed him anywhere else, but he is standing right next to Harley Quinn in that particular part at least.
Nice catch!

And not related to your post, I thought the monster was supposed to be from
Jason and the Argonauts?

error4041

It was good but I don't understand is this movie in the same world as the lego movie? No references to it or I couldn't understand if this takes place separately.
I'm pretty sure at the start whenn they are explaining that Gotham would fall into a bottomless pit like the one from the LEGO movie if there was a big enough explosion, they had some footage of Emmat falling down in the infinite abyss from the lego movie. I could be wrong though.

I loved this movie so much. Had a stupid grin on my face the whole time.

Only downside is that I wasn't a fan of the Joker's voice acting. Probably my second least favorite portrayal, above the Young Justice one.

WillyFive

Wonderful, wonderful movie. Although it was extremely funny, I loved just how great it's central plot and message was; it was a character story based on relationships, something it did better than any of the MCU movies (and it obliterates the other modern DC movies in quality so much it is outright shocking). That final shot before the end credits is the single best shot ever put in a Batman movie, and it's not even a shot of Batman doing something cool, but something that encapsulates the motivation of Batman and why it makes him a great person as opposed to a monster.

My only issues were: Zod was introduced as being sent to the Phantom Zone, but never reappeared; and the Justice League never showed up after the party. I kept expecting Zod to show up as a last minute boss for the Justice League to take care of during the final battle as the Bat-family took care of the rest; but it was left hanging as a plot hole. Also, Joker and Harley's voice acting were weak.

Brinbe

Caught it earlier tonight. Absolutely wonderful and lived up to the hype. We desperately need more smart, positive and anti-cynical films like this instead of the braindead Transformers-esque garbage blockbusters that get released. Shits all over DCEU's output completely (which isn't a hard feat) and is probably the best Batman film ever.

jax

Banned
Really well done film, though I Wish Galifinikis hammed it up a bit more. I know Mark Hamil must be expensive, but if I can imitate his joker, I'm sure Zach can. Oh well.

Really well done film, though I Wish Galifinikis hammed it up a bit more. I know Mark Hamil must be expensive, but if I can imitate his joker, I'm sure Zach can. Oh well.

Man, I would've been happy with Kevin Michael Richardson, Michael Emerson, Troy Baker, John DiMaggio . . .

So many options and they somehow chose the wrong one :(

I'm a huge Batman fan. He's easily one of my favorite superheroes and I follow the character almost religiously through all his different incarnations (animation, film, comics, etc.)

That being said...I really didn't care for this film. I honestly started to fall asleep (maybe I was just tired...?) toward the end of it. I understand it's a kids movie, but I would have like a weeeee bit more for adults.

I'm a huge Batman fan. He's easily one of my favorite superheroes and I follow the character almost religiously through all his different incarnations (animation, film, comics, etc.)

That being said...I really didn't care for this film. I honestly started to fall asleep (maybe I was just tired...?) toward the end of it. I understand it's a kids movie, but I would have like a weeeee bit more for adults.

I went to see this on a Sunday afternoon and also fell asleep midway.
It was enjoyable for both kids and adults since we get more references of the characters introduced through out the film. I got a huge headache after watching it though, too much animation for me I guess.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
This was a fun movie throughout, but I didn't love it. I thought the unexpected villains didn't add a whole lot and were kind of unnecessary when Batman already has some ridiculous enemies. And the sappy emotional parts weren't that effective. There were more than enough hilarious moments and homages to make up for it though.

I wasn't convinced by Galifianakis in the trailers but I actually liked him a lot in the film. His voice suited this Joker.

Carnby

Disappointing. The Batman schtick was great as comic relief in the Lego Movie, but it can't carry a movie. This movie wasn't very funny and I found myself wondering when it would end.

This sums it up for me as well. I kept going teetering between being entertained to being bored. Just not a very good movie.

undrtakr900

Saw it tonight. The movie got worse the further it went on, I was rolling my eyes a bit here and there about the family stuff. Loved the callbacks to previous series, especially the original tv version. Overall okay movie, but no where near as good as The Lego Movie.
Agreed 100%
The beginning was kool & funny, then the middle dragged with "depressed" and "I'm a loner" batMan, concluding with a sappy "everyone is friends(inc bad guys)" ending.

Also I think many of the jokes were written for adults, like when Batman first meets Robin and says:
Batman: "What's your name kid?"
Robin: "I'm Grayson, but my friends call me 'Dick'"
Batman: "Kids can be so cruel"

I was one of the few people in the theater that got the reference lol.

Just got back. Absolutely loved it, it's probably my favourite Batman film now. It's definitely tied with Mask of the Phantasm anyway.

IN THE DARKEST KNIGHT
I MAKE THE BAD GUYS FALL
THERE'S A MILLION HEROES
BUT I'M THE BEST OF THEM ALLLLLLL

sam777

Decent film, I expected better but that was probably due to the amazing reception/reviews it got but I still enjoyed it. Bane's two/three lines were the best in the film. I also enjoyed the villains who are not from the DC universe.

y2dvd

Liked it but didn't love it like The Lego Movie. I wanted to like it more but I just couldn't.

Them actually saying the sound effects was killing me. The 'PEW PEWS' and 'BANG BANG' always got me.

Tbh, I kinda want a movie where live action Batman is just genuinely happy after seeing this movie.

Saw this yesterday with my 5 year old daughter she enjoyed it. I could tell she was bored in some spots. Her favorite part was the microwave scene? Lol

For me I didn't really like it. The bright spot for me was Micheal Cerra as Robin. I actually fell asleep a few times. Second movie to ever do that, the prior was The Haunted Mansion. This movie is a lot better then that it just never clicked with me.

This movie was so good. And it was about time that we had a really comedic and self-aware take on Batman and his universe.

The trailers did mislead us into thinking the justice league was going to be in this (actually fighting together).

Caja 117

I saw it today, have to say I laughed a lot in the movie,The thing that crack me up the most was Bane just because of the voice.

And at the end I was mindblown as i never noticed that they were doing Two-face Billy dee williams, a very nice refference.

Tookay

Really disappointed in this. It started off strong, but quickly loses steam after the opening, to the point where I was struggling to stay awake about an hour in.

The jackass Batman schtick just isn't enough to carry an entire movie and actually was actively annoying by the end.

It's too bad, because The Lego Movie is one of the better children's films of the last decade.

As a lapsed Batman fan I really got a kick out of them roasting the shit out of the character and deconstructing him. It was also nice to see the Batfamily working together on the big screen after so long. As a piece of pure fanservice this was like a 9 for me, but as an actual movie it's like a 7 if that makes sense.

I loved the movie despite Zach's poor mans Joker. My wife loved the beginning but thought the last third was boring. It was hard to pay attention to the fight scenes according to her. I actually liked it more than the Lego movie. Probably because I don't like Will Ferrell.

Liked it but didn't love it like The Lego Movie. I wanted to like it more but I just couldn't.

Them actually saying the sound effects was killing me. The 'PEW PEWS' and 'BANG BANG' always got me.

Tbh, I kinda want a movie where live action Batman is just genuinely happy after seeing this movie.

The freeze gun sound effect was amazing.
As was Bane's voice.

aerts1js

Just got back from seeing this, really enjoyed it. It's not great like The Lego Movie but it's very good. Felt a bit long toward the end.. first half is definitely stronger.

Rather underwhelmed by it... bored after the initial sequence, the humor missed with me more than it hit, and I found batman himself to be too one-note / unlikeable... :-/

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Fantastic movie, and probably my favourite batman.

Also I think many of the jokes were written for adults, like when Batman first meets Robin and says:
Batman: "What's your name kid?"
Robin: "I'm Grayson, but my friends call me 'Dick'"
Batman: "Kids can be so cruel"
I believe it was actually "But kids in orphanage call me 'Dick'" - which made it that much funnier.

Surprised at the mixed reactions hmmm, i think if you sort of have to be a Batman fan though, or at least be somewhat knowledgeable about his "lore" to catch most of the references. That said, for me personally, it truly was the best Batman movie ever and one of the greatest animation/CGI movies ever made. When it clicks with you, it really hits the point home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom