• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Batman Movie |OT| You ever stepped on a LEGO in the pale moonlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just a casual Batman fan but I obviously love Lego and the movie was great. So much fun to be had with the ridiculousness that is the Batman canon, and I liked how, like in The Lego Movie and Lego Dimensions, they are aware of the character's entire history, not one specific reboot line. Speaking of which, there wasn't a specific Dimensions callout but then again this was The Lego Movie Batman and not, well, Lego Batman Batman. And I did notice
the inclusion of several Dimensions licenses like obviously Gremlins, the Witch, Voldemort and Sauron - they already had Lego designs so it was easy to involve them. Only the Agents were basically a new Lego design.

Right now it feels like the better movie between the two, but I'll need to rewatch it. Only thing I didn't care for too much was that
Barbara was basically interchangable with Wyldstyle as a character, but maybe that just means that they're both Batman's type

Even Doctor Who has to license the Daleks, so I wasn't sure if they were trying to sidestep the issue.

I think it was just a joke on Batman not knowing what they're really called. I mean, they're Daleks. They're modeled on the Daleks from the Doctor Who LEGO set. They would have had to have had the license to use their likeness I imagine.
I think what you guys need to keep in mind is that Doctor Who is one of those properties every nerd thinks is mainstream cuz of how popular it is to nerd culture but in actuality, is still pretty niche outside of that bubble.

Rated-G

The only thing I can think of is Batman is still a master-builder.

Also if this works, one of the songs from the movie that shows how well they work in all the diff musical homages

https://play.google.com/music/m/Tb5ehe73akcn43nml2ep2e26q4y?t=Batmans_in_the_Zone_-_Lorne_Balfe

Not to mention they use a direct shot from the LEGO Movie, of Emmet falling through that kaleidoscope tube, when the newsfeed is talking about
the Phantom Zone on a jumbrotron in Gotham.

And for those wondering, this is the polybag that was supposed to be handed out with tickets. Exclusively at AMC theaters.
30522_alt1.jpg

robochimp

Not to mention they use a direct shot from the LEGO Movie, of Emmet falling through that kaleidoscope tube, when the newsfeed is talking about
the Phantom Zone on a jumbrotron in Gotham.

And for those wondering, this is the polybag that was supposed to be handed out with tickets. Exclusively at AMC theaters.

The polybag is also in Target's valentines seasonal area for $3.99. They had tons so keep an eye out for lots of clearance batmen.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I couldn't find it listed in the IMDB credits, but who was the voice of the
Phantom Zone block
? She sounded so familiar, but I couldn't place it.

LosDaddie

Banned
$78 later and the family & I are sitting down for our IMAX 2D showing.

Also, our AMC still had the free Lego sets. 😊 Son and daughter were happy about that.

Thought the first half was brilliant, even better than the Lego movie. Second half wasn't as good but was serviceable. There was too much revolving around family and friendship stuff. Kinda beat that moral into the ground

Zen Aku

Saw it this afternoon. I like the Lego Movie better. This has fun bits and pieces, but idk something was dragging the movie down for me.

Maybe it's just the overexposure to Batman in media recently but you can see the plot coming from a mile a way. It's Batman dealing with his loneliness and refusal to have a family. Things that have been beaten to death for decades. It's still funny in some areas.

Robin is the best part about the movie. I think it was much better when the movie is about Batman and Robin rather than about Batman inner problems.

Alfred and Barbara feel so wasted in this movie plot-wise at times.

Zapages

Saw it this afternoon. I like the Lego Movie better. This has fun bits and pieces, but idk something was dragging the movie down for me.

Maybe it's just the overexposure to Batman in media recently but you can see the plot coming from a mile a way. It's Batman dealing with his loneliness and refusal to have a family. Things that have been beaten to death for decades. It's still funny in some areas.

Robin is the best part about the movie. I think it was much better when the movie is about Batman and Robin rather than about Batman inner problems.

Alfred and Barbara feel so wasted in this movie plot-wise at times.

I feel the same way... I was wasting for Robin to become Nightwing suit or have joke about it at least... :\ lol

I feel the B+/A- is perfect grade for the movie.

TheFuzz

I loved every second of it. It's up there with TLM for me.

"Always...bet....on BLACK" As the music kicked in has to be one of the best superhero entrances on film.

Zen Aku

I feel the same way... I was wasting for Robin to become Nightwing suit or have joke about it at least... :\ lol

I feel the B+/A- is perfect grade for the movie.
Robin suit origin was hilarious lol I knew it was in the trailer but I gotta give it to them for originality. I think Barb suffered from the same problem Wonder Woman did in BvS. You can literally given her plot to almost any character and it still would work. Bruce infatuation with Barbara was never explored upon other than for some cheap laughs. Her job was just to be the lawfully good that somewhat opposes Batman view of "doing whatever it takes, loner guy" mentality. But even that was quickly dropped in the movie. It's like okay
"I guess I'm totally working with Batman outside the law now."
You could have given her role to Jim Gordon and it would still be the same.

Alfred started off strong with his scene everyone already saw inside the manor. But after that he kinda also fell into the background like Barbara did. Only occasionally say something wise. I guess that is to be expected though. Alfred was always more of a background character like Pa and Ma Kent. But outside of his first scene at Wayne's manor, the rest of his scenes never lived up to it. Except
the 60's Batman suit. That was funny.

Robin was definitely the best part about the movie. I like that they portrayed him as the antithesis to Batman in just about every single way. Whenever he was on the screen, he easily got my attention. I completely understand that the movie is about Batman
dealing with losing his parents, loneliness and not wanting a family in fear of losing it again
and having Robin be everything opposite of what he's used to worked really well. It's just that the subject have been so played out, so when you get like a 5 minutes moment of Batman feeling sorry for himself or contemplating. I'm just like.. *sigh* "can we just throw Robin back in there? He's fun"

Can I adopt Robin? Please?

Actually
that Batman scene in the beginning when he told Joker he didn't need him for anyone was really well done. I thought it was fantastic delivery.

I really like the obscure villains references, the mix and match villains throughout all the ages of Batman. None of them really stood out, except the Joker for a few key scenes. Harley's voice actress was ehhh..

Overall I liked it, I had a fun time despite feeling a bit bored at times. The Lego Movie is still much better. This is a B+ movie for me. I kinda miss
the human element from the Lego Movie. I thought that really made me relate to the whole movie that was missing from this.

BaconHat

Just saw it a few hours ago.

I really liked the opening and middle. All of the winks and nods to the batman mythos was really fun and i laughed more often than not.

Unfortunatly, i really felt like the climax was way too long.One of the people i was with actually fell asleep during the final because of it.

Overall i liked the movie. Don't think it was as good as the lego movie.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Not a great movie. About half way through I was hoping it would end. Hard to care about the characters and the story was trash. It was hardly funny and most of the time it was just loud and abnoxious. I really loved the Lego Movie too. This should have been straight to DVD.

Triz

I thought it was terrible, and I went in expecting great things. The last Lego movie was fantastic.

But hey, my kids liked it so Ill leave it at that.

Not a great movie. About half way through I was hoping it would end. Hard to care about the characters and the story was trash. It was hardly funny and most of the time it was just loud and abnoxious. I really loved the Lego Movie too. This should have been straight to DVD.
Straight to DVD Lego movies don't look this good.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
A fairly mediocre film, average at best I found. Some funny bits and the callbacks to Batman's history was nice but the story wasn't compelling and the "Batman is a loner" thing was laid on way, way too thick and frankly got a bit grating by the time it was resolved.

Jopie

I thought it was terrible, and I went in expecting great things. The last Lego movie was fantastic.

But hey, my kids liked it so Ill leave it at that.

I was incredibly disappointed. I just kept waiting for it to flip a switch and start being good, but it never happened.

I don't understand the complaint about "Batman is a loner" being overdone when a lot of them don't come up with a solution like this movie did. Batman being an edgy loner was played for laughs instead of being something serious. That alone makes it different.

I got my Joker Car set.

pkXCbP3.jpg

The only other set that tempts me from this movie is the Penguin Car set.
Penguin's Artic Roller (yes, that misspelling is on purpose. LEGO GAF will get it) is a sweet pimp mobile.
But the true MVPs of the sets now are Clayface and the Scuttler.

Come. Join us in LEGO GAF!

I liked it! Not groundbreaking by any means, but the best Batman-related film released in the last 12 months, out of three others. As a Lego spinoff, I think that speaks volumes. My sole motivation in watching it was taking my little brother to get him a bit more familiarized with Batman, but I ended up enjoying myself quite a bit! Though it's definitely a kid's film first and foremost, there were plenty of nods to longtime Batman fans sprinkled in that had me grinning the whole movie. And although Lego Batman's personality was intolerable at points, it's an honest reflection of the actual character. A healthy jab that I found more clever than grating. Overall, I enjoyed myself way more than I expected.

Zen Aku

I don't understand the complaint about "Batman is a loner" being overdone when a lot of them don't come up with a solution like this movie did. Batman being an edgy loner was played for laughs instead of being something serious. That alone makes it different.

Well considering this is probably the kid friendliest version of Batman. Of course they're going to play it for laughs instead of edgy and dark like most other adaptation. The solution wasn't the problem, the problem was they spent too much time hammering in the fact that Batman was lonely and dark.

It worked well in the Lego Movie because they didn't spend that much time on it. All you got was his darkness song and that's it.

Tizoc

Supes stating that Zod is his arch enemy was weird when you consider it has been Luthor. DC shoving in its Movie-verse still it seems

Not

Banned
The origin of Robin's suit is amazing. lol

It really does looks like a Reggae themed oufit.

The part I laughed the hardest. Theater was full of kids and parents who didn't connect with the joke, and I felt alone in my mirth.

Anyway, saw it, really liked it. Something felt off towards the middle, but I definitely enjoyed myself.

Oh, and Doug Benson as Bane. If you listen to Doug Loves Movies you know why that's amazing.

Goodstyle

I actually liked this a lot more than the Lego Movie, and that's mainly because I really disliked the twist at the end of that film.

Well considering this is probably the kid friendliest version of Batman. Of course they're going to play it for laughs instead of edgy and dark like most other adaptation. The solution wasn't the problem, the problem was they spent too much time hammering in the fact that Batman was lonely and dark.

It worked well in the Lego Movie because they didn't spend that much time on it. All you got was his darkness song and that's it.
That's his character though. You can't just turn him from being dark angst in The Lego Movie to some other different interpretation of Batman. And plus this is the Batman people see everywhere so what better way to show it off then to do a complete deconstruction of that character. That's why everyone is digging this movie. It's a movie that finally calls it out.

"I did something!"

I really enjoyed this movie; especially all the old Batman references! Interesting collection of villains too. Kinda odd that
Sauron
of all people is defeated so easily. And why was
Agent Smith
relegated to being a mook like the skeletons? Seems kinda weird even considering his gimmick...

Zen Aku

That's his character though. You can't just turn him from being dark angst in The Lego Movie to some other different interpretation of Batman. And plus this is the Batman people see everywhere so what better way to show it off then to do a complete deconstruction of that character. That's why everyone is digging this movie. It's a movie that finally calls it out.
I don't mind Batman being angsty and dark. It just at some parts they dragged it out for way too long. I'm surprised we didn't get a Wayne family death scene to hammer it in. It's not the first adaptation of Batman to call him out on being a loner, dark and brooding. It's all been done before, just not a kid friendly version.
"I did something!"

I really enjoyed this movie; especially all the old Batman references! Interesting collection of villains too. Kinda odd that
Sauron
of all people is defeated so easily. And why was
Agent Smith
relegated to being a mook like the skeletons? Seems kinda weird even considering his gimmick...
Yeah was really disappointed that Agent Smith got delegated to a lackey role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom