• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Batman Movie |OT| You ever stepped on a LEGO in the pale moonlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got out. Best Batman movie ever! Holy, did not expected
the crossover from the other movies
. Pacing was great and Batman is awesome.

jnaeXI1.jpg

It was fun. Made a lot of good jokes about Batman's history and had an overall good sense of humor about itself and the franchise. The kids in our showing were laughing, but it was the parents who made up the majority of the laughs.

Maybe not the break-out title as the Lego Movie, but I'm sure kids will be watching this film for years to come.

benbeaux

Banned
"My names Richard, but everyone calls me Dick!"
"People can be mean like that..."

I lost it at that line.

I heard a little kid behind me say "what does that word mean?" to their parents after that line popped up. I was crying after that.

Anywho, I thought the movie was a lot of fun. A lot of the Batman history jokes worked incredibly well, and I can't believe the direction the movie took towards the end with
all of the Warner Bros. associated villains showing up for the final battle

Covfan

Can't believe they got away with the
Wayne Car being the numberplate
joke, especially in a U rated film. :D

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Even Doctor Who has to license the Daleks, so I wasn't sure if they were trying to sidestep the issue.

I think it was just a joke on Batman not knowing what they're really called. I mean, they're Daleks. They're modeled on the Daleks from the Doctor Who LEGO set. They would have had to have had the license to use their likeness I imagine.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Just got back from it and man, I was so bored during it. Like, it's so well made and looks amazing, but I just was never super enthralled with the story or anything going on. It was way too "by the numbers" for me. I think the LEGO Movie was far better. Oh well, I'll still buy it on Blu Ray when it comes out and get all the LEGO sets, haha.

EDIT - Also, how do you have Ralph Fiennes in the movie,
yet he doesn't voice Voldermort? WTF?

CrocoDuck

Just saw it earlier on Friday with my little brother. Terrific movie with a lot of jokes for adults. There were so many references to past Batman history or other subjects that the kids simply didn't understand or find funny that I was laughing at (Batman pays no taxes, the Dick joke). The film does a great job at balancing comedy for kids and adults.

border

Just got back from it and man, I was so bored during it. Like, it's so well made and looks amazing, but I just was never super enthralled with the story or anything going on. It was way too "by the numbers" for me.

It's fun for all the jokes and references. It is seriously going to take months of people going through the BluRay frame-by-frame to discover every joke and Easter Egg in the film, and I think that gives it a certain richness.

I don't see how you could go into the film expecting to be enthralled by the story or characters. Especially after how Batman was such one-note comic relief in The LEGO Movie.

This isn't related to Lego Batman in any way but they should totally make a Lego Marvel vs DC film.

I don't know if the brands would be into the deal but a Lego movie where they fight each other only to overcome their differences to save the day and become buds would be a perfect narrative for a Lego Movie.

RobbieNick

Loved the first half, but I think the second half beat the morale over the head a bit too much. Still, a ton of laughs.One thing, I don't know if I missed it or not, but
Superman was bragging about putting Zod in the Phantom zone, Joker enters the phantom zone and releases the cameo villains from WB and Universal, but where's Zod?!

Shaanyboi

Banned
Got back from it. It was pretty good. Starts off super strong with ridiculous reference after ridiculous reference, it's full of energy. But after the characters are established and the real villain plot kicks in, it just kinda falls into a lull for a good long while. There are still moments of greatness throughout, but the back half really drags. The emotional story is great, but all the action in the last act is just kinda numbing and tiring.

Focusing on all these Warner Bros. franchise villains felt like a real waste of time. Some good gags still come out of it, but it feels like weird licensing convenience rather than a natural direction for the story.

It's crazy to me though that it took the LEGO Batman movie to finally make a fucking film about the Bat family. Like... jesus. This is probably more of a spotlight than any of them will get in the actual DCEU and that's so depressing...

My biggest takeaway from this movie was it's the first time I've actually really liked the Batman/Robin dynamic. Also the first bit of Batman media where I've sympathised with the Joker hilariously.

Qasiel

Went to see this last night with my wife and absolutely loved it! Who knew that BoJack Horseman would end up being the best Batman?! I loved the amount of references crammed into it (my favourite probably being
"Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!"
) and just thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Would love to take my 4 year old niece to see this as she's a Batman fan too.

the meaning of this escaped me, it's also been referenced in Time Out in an interview to Will Arnet... please explain!

I'm going to assume its because it sounds like the slur
"wanker"

7/10 movie. I would give OG Lego Movie a 10/10. This was disappointing

I thought The LEGO Movie was fun, but ultimately quite forgettable and in no way an animation "classic" like some people make it out to be.

Is this worth my time? I do like Batman, so there's that.

joker3782

Neo Member
Went to watch this last night. Watched it in 4DX (where the seat moves and they spray water on you and everything), and I thought it worked well with the movie. Was my first time going to a 4DX showing and I was impressed. As for the movie itself, it was amazing. I was laughing at least once every minute. Loved the decision to make batman an outright dick. It resulted in some funny moments and some good character development. I think I prefer this over the Lego movie because while I also thought that Lego movie was amazing, I wasn't too big on the moment when it switched to the son and the father. Lego Batman is such a fantastic movie, highly recommend it. It'll probably be DC's best movie this year by a mile.

Saw this on a whim last night. Really loved it. So many great call-backs to Batman's history. Felt like a fun love letter to his history. Right amount of goofy and heart.
Loved the subtle jab at the Suicide Squad

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
You know that doesn't answer the question right? I know what the reference is but is it actually in the Lego movie or did some make that up here?

It's not referenced in the movie, just a reference to Batman 89 Joker, so GAF collective madness

Goodstyle

not good

average

Kinda felt like they were distancing those characters from DCEU versions.

Did they even do the red/blue Harley hair from SS?

Jenny Slate is perfect as Harley. Trying to force a Brooklyn accent would have led to the abomination that was Margot Robbie's performance as the character (can anyone tell me what the fuck kind of accent that was?). To be a good Harley voice, you have to capture that fun, hopeless devotion and shaky optimism. Slate has that perfectly, Brooklyn accent or not.

And Galifinakis as Joker wasn't going for being over the top like Leto's. You're right in saying they may have been distancing themselves because the performances felt like a fucking palette cleansor. I don't need Zach to go for a Hamill or Ledger like voice, when he was supposed to voice a more sensitive and insecure Joker. The usual Joker voice would not have fit, yet the type of character he was playing was still true to who the Joker is at his core.

Chase17

You know that doesn't answer the question right? I know what the reference is but is it actually in the Lego movie or did some make that up here?
Looked like you were asking for the source to me. I understood Gaf collective madness as making it up completely.

Looks like Shrinnan has it answered now though.

Wil348

Watched it this afternoon and loved it! Probably my favourite Batman film now. It was a very different take but it was a refreshing one, and it didn't feel like it was ignoring its source material.

Toa TAK

Banned
I was actually pretty surprised at Galifanakis' portrayal of the Joker. The ads I saw didn't do it justice I thought. He was good in the film.

bosseye

Saw it today with my 6 year old son. We both laughed our arses off, sometimes at the same bit, sometimes just me as there were loads of layers in there for the grown ups that went over his head. Really fun film and I'm glad we saw. I'd say I enjoyed the Lego Movie slightly more though, this has a few more slightly slower sections than it really needed.

The bit where Alfred tells batman he has to go the gala and batman is all NO NO NO flopping about like a fish, I don't think my lad has ever laughed so hard, it was glorious to see.

Certinty

Couldn't help but feel a little disappointed.

Not a bad film, like a 7/10 but compared to The LEGO Movie it's not very good, that was far better.

Saying that I loved Cera as Robin so much.

Harley Quinn was too minor a character in the movie for me to really decide how good she was. I thought it was fine but I'm not gonna start arguing she voice her in everything.

Joker was fine too. Nothing can beat how bad Young Justice Joker was.

lt519

Couldn't help but feel a little disappointed.

Not a bad film, like a 7/10 but compared to The LEGO Movie it's not very good, that was far better.

Saying that I loved Cera as Robin so much.

Same exact feeling. I think I hyped myself up too much. Was an enjoyable experience but it's story fell a little more flat and lacked that sense of going on an adventure. I think a second viewing is required for me, I went to go see it right after work and wasn't really in the best mindset.

8bit

Knows the Score
I think it was just a joke on Batman not knowing what they're really called. I mean, they're Daleks. They're modeled on the Daleks from the Doctor Who LEGO set. They would have had to have had the license to use their likeness I imagine.

They looked to be based on the recent (and quickly forgotten) redesign, which I thought a bit strange. They're not quite the same as the ones in the Doctor Who / Dimensions sets.

Anyway, enjoyed that a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom