• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"2014 will mark a renaissance for Sonic the Hedgehog"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please no. It has never been an issue with how the characters look or their image. Just make good games again. A new art style isn't going to make Sonic more popular.

This. The reason his popularity waned was because there were too many shitty games. Fix that and people will care again. The characters really don't need a redesign.

Why is there so much loli furies hentai sonic fan art?

It seems like to me that the serious crazies are REALLY into Sonic fanfiction. People are afraid of bronies and tentacle lovers, but it seems to me that Sonic is way above that. because they put in the political, social and psychological hyper sexual undertones. The shadow-obama sonic adventures 2 connection comic for example is something made out of hell.
This is the stuff of nightmares.

This year is the of the Hedgehog? I thought it was the year of the Horse. Lol china

Village

What the hell?^^^^^^^

You want puzzles in a Sonic game. Nuff said.

There are platforming puzzles in every sonic game. How do i get to the end in the fastest way possible with this character. Each character could be a different version of a key , different paths, ect. I find the prospect of stopping time in terms of visual aesthetic to be very cool idea.

I also want a Jet Set Radio Sonic game. Why isn't this a thing?

Is literally the third Sonic Adventure game minus the actual Sonic Adventure title

Do you even know what you're asking for?

I do. I want to play as Tails and Knuckles in a 3d world. Not hard to figure out. An adventure game has always meant jumping into the single player with your choice from a roster of multiple playable characters in a free-roaming, slower paced platformer. I think asking for ST to tackle two additional playable characters is a pretty modest request. I don't think anyone asking for an adventure 3 is demanding a game with 11 playable characters with a shoehorned fan fiction, and game breaking bugs and load times. I'm more interested in Sonic not being treated like a vehicle out of Burnout (SLW was a good step in that direction) and a slower pace to stage progression, with different perspectives and styles of gameplay to scale the same stage, which would ideally be the approach with an "adventure style" game. Sonic 06 was a game in the Adventure style, the difference being it was an unplayable, incomplete piece of code, an unfinished catastrophe in every conceivable fashion. How fair of a comparison is that to something like SA1.

Anyway, I have little hope for this reboot. I guess we'll see in a few hours.

Uff duh

Banned
I used to love Sonic... But now I kinda subscribe to Jeff Gerstmann's Idea of sonic I just dont have much faith left that it will be great. But I really hope it is cause good sonic is a thing of beauty.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
What the hell?^^^^^^^

There are platforming puzzles in every sonic game. How do i get to the end in the fastest way possible with this character. Each character could be a different version of a key , different paths, ect. I find the prospect of stopping time in terms of visual aesthetic to be very cool idea.

I also want a Jet Set Radio Sonic game. Why isn't this a thing?

I don't really count choosing what path to take as a puzzle. I thought you were talking about proper puzzles. With that said I actually wouldn't mind Sega introducing more playable characters with different abilies for taking different paths ala Sonic 3&K. If they do it right. Just make sure it isn't shitty genre roulette the way the SA games did it. The S3&K way is the way I'd like other characters to be implemented. As for shadow being able to stop time....I dunno. Depends on how it's done.

I'm one of those people who are completely fine with it sticking with the Generations/Unleashed Formula. I don't need any other characters to play as. Just give me compelling levels and I'm set.

Edit- So I hope nothing too drastic will happen to the series, they really love giving you whiplash.

MrBadger

Only paying attention to this because I want to see what Buff Knuckles looks like

why did so many places review this game so highly when it came out

Was the Bioware love really that strong back at the beginning of last gen?

I didn't think the game itself was too awful, just the music.

Shion

I'm hyped :p

I want to see a new gameplay formula, though.

Oh and, please Sega, take the abstract route in terms of visual design.

MPVjxbJ.png

adV3Poa.jpg

Why is there so much loli furies hentai sonic fan art?

It seems like to me that the serious crazies are REALLY into Sonic fanfiction. People are afraid of bronies and tentacle lovers, but it seems to me that Sonic is way above that. because they put in the political, social and psychological hyper sexual undertones. The shadow-obama sonic adventures 2 connection comic for example is something made out of hell.
This is the stuff of nightmares.

This year is the of the Hedgehog? I thought it was the year of the Horse. Lol china

Lol, you can find that stuff with every fanbase.

.la1n

I always get excited about new Sonic the Hedgehog news. One of my favorite franchises growing up. It's not what it used to be but I feel like it has improved quite a bit the last three games or so. I'll remain optimistic for this.

Ito

I was hoping that the new TV Show would be in no way related to the future of the video game franchise.

I was hoping too much.

We must get over this already, guys. Sonic died a long ago, and his cancer started with Dreamcast, not in 2006.

Holly fucking shit Sega, just can't you see how profitable for the franchise would be to return to its origins? going back to the Genesis times? Classic sonic look?

But well, unlike us, they already got over sonic's death, and are selling his corpse to get a few extra dimes. That is, targeting the franchise to younger audiences.

It's ironical, but I started liking Sonic when I was just a 5 yo kid back in 1994. But fuck, I wasn't the only one liking him! Adults liked Sonic too. He was cute and engaging for the kids, but not exclusively!

codhand

2003 will mark a renaissance for Sonic the Hedgehog.
2006 will mark a renaissance for Sonic the Hedgehog.
2009 will mark a renaissance for Sonic the Hedgehog.
2012 will mark a renaissance for Sonic the Hedgehog.
2014 will mark a renaissance for Sonic the Hedgehog.

If year of Luigi almost pushed Nintendo out of console business I don't want to imagine what could happen with year of Sonic.

TheOGB

Banned
2003 will mark a renaissance for Sonic the Hedgehog.
2006 will mark a renaissance for Sonic the Hedgehog.
2009 will mark a renaissance for Sonic the Hedgehog.
2012 will mark a renaissance for Sonic the Hedgehog.
2014 will mark a renaissance for Sonic the Hedgehog.
Maybe saying it a year early will yield better results this time?

Sami+

There's a lot of room for a reboot to be a great breath of fresh air for this franchise. After Heroes the universe has simply become far too bloated for it's own good, and an opportunity to reinterpret key elements of Sonic's world in more detailed and creative ways, as well as slowly reintroduce characters over time could be really great.

Could be.

Lately, though, the games have just gone more and more extreme in their attempts to cater to children. There's hardly any expanded canon at all anymore, with each game being almost 100% standalone since 06, characters are around but hardly do anything at all, etc. I'm not looking forward to seeing what they do.

Vidiot

I was hoping that the new TV Show would be in no way related to the future of the video game franchise.

I was hoping too much.

We must get over this already, guys. Sonic died a long ago, and his cancer started with Dreamcast, not in 2006.

Holly fucking shit Sega, just can't you see how profitable for the franchise would be to return to its origins? going back to the Genesis times? Classic sonic look?

But well, unlike us, they already got over sonic's death, and are selling his corpse to get a few extra dimes. That is, targeting the franchise to younger audiences.

It's ironical, but I started liking Sonic when I was just a 5 yo kid back in 1994. But fuck, I wasn't the only one liking him! Adults liked Sonic too. He was cute and engaging for the kids, but not exclusively!

There were shit Sonic games before the Dreamcast and before the redesign.

Sami+

Not in the main series there weren't.

Speaking as a fan, I don't think it's fair to completely discount Colors and Generations. The latter especially was tightly designed and, while short, was a blast to play from beginning to end.

Granted I don't like the tonal shift the franchise has taken, or the fact that they're playing it as safe as possible. I had hoped Gens would be the last game before they really tried to double down on an ambitious narrative again. One of the many reasons I can't stand Lost World.

Herpy Derpy Sonic Cycle!

I feel bad for the comic, if this is a major brand shift (and I suspect it is, feels like it's been coming for a while, Iizuka made some odd statements while promoting Generations), they JUST went through a reboot to update designs and ditch Penders' characters, and it's likely they'll be forced into another one.

Not in the main series there weren't.

To be fair, Knuckles Chaotix is pretty close to the main series (it started life as Sonic Crackers, even up to the point past switching to 32X development), and that game certainly had a lot of problems.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Speaking as a fan, I don't think it's fair to completely discount Colors and Generations. The latter especially was tightly designed and, while short, was a blast to play from beginning to end.

Granted I don't like the tonal shift the franchise has taken, or the fact that they're playing it as safe as possible. I had hoped Gens would be the last game before they really tried to double down on an ambitious narrative again. One of the many reasons I can't stand Lost World.

Colours and Generations were awesome. Especially Colours. Easily the best game since the Mega Drive days. By the way I really don't give a shit about narrative in Sonic games. At all. Colours and Generations having limited focus on story has been for the better imo. I really was not a fan of the focus on story in the SA games or even Unleashed. It's just always done so badly. I love the series for a number of reasons. Story has never been one of them.

To be fair, Knuckles Chaotix is pretty close to the main series (it started life as Sonic Crackers, even up to the point past switching to 32X development), and that game certainly had a lot of problems.

It was neither on a main console nor did it even have Sonic in the title. It's not even close to main series. Also like most people I've never even played it.

Sami+

Colours and Generations were awesome. Especially Colours. Easily the best game since the Mega Drive days. By the way I really don't give a shit about narrative in Sonic games. At all. Colours and Generations having limited focus on story has been for the better imo. I really was not a fan of the focus on story in the SA games or even Unleashed. It's just always done so badly. I love the series for a number of reasons. Story has never been one of them.

It was neither on a main console nor did it even have Sonic in the title. It's not even close to main series. Also like most people I've never even played it.

I disagree. I personally think the narrative presentation of Unleashed and Sonic Adventure (only the first one) was both fairly good and a good expansion to the series' universe. I watched my niece play through Sonic Adventure on my Dreamcast a few months ago, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the approach they took with it.

For the record when I say I'd like an SA3, I mean a true sequel to SA1. SA2's radically different from it's predecessor to the point that I'd hesitate to call it a real sequel. I don't like the genre roulette approach at all, but barring that I like the idea of multiple playable characters and a fun narrative to keep things engaging.

Also the closest thing to sonic adventure 3, would be unleashed. So yeah.

Sonic Team actually cited Sonic Adventure 1 as the inspiration for Sonic 2006, and the structure of the game is nearly identical. You literally can't get much closer to Sonic Adventure 3 than that.

You can tell me that "oh yeah well Sonic Unleashed was actually CALLED Sonic World Adventure in Japan" but Sonic 2006 still predates that game by two years, so it doesn't really matter.

He was the best in the 90s.

It's not the 90s anymore.

Everything's cyclical. The Retro 80's fad is on its way out, Retro 90's is coming back in to style again.

Here we go... again.

sonic_cycle.jpg

Oh look, the hallmark of people who are trying to be clever but aren't. Explain to me, in detail, how anything in the last four Sonic games actually relate to the words in this image.

Ito

Lost World is stupid.

Generations was the way. Specially the classic Sonic levels.

I think Sonic's cancer started with dreamcast for the following reasons:

a) Sonic redesing. It was perfect as it was.

b) Music direction. Rock/Punk themes? Erh... where's my Michael Jackson inspired ost? (lol, this one is a joke, loved the music in Unleashed and Colours).

c) Introducing so many different new play styles. In the end, instead of variety, we got monotony. All Tails levels were about reaching a point within time. All Knuckles levels were about finding stupid emerald shards. And all Big the Cat, Amy and E-102 leves were inducing me to suicide.

Sonic Adventure wasn't a bad game at all. But look at how they neglected the gameplay value. Controlling Sonic was a fucking ordeal, compared with the near pixel-perfect precision of the genesis games.

Then came SA 2 with a even more stupid sonic redesign, even more stupid new characters, and even shorter levels.

Sonic 2006, I don't need to elaborate on this one.

Sonic Unleashed was fine, until they decided that adding slow-paced levels featuring a werewolf version of Sonic was a good Idea. Why not putting knuckles instead of that stupid beast? At least he actually looks cool, not a furry lover's wet dream of teeth and furry muscles.

Colours seemed to take what unleashed did right, then adding those stupid power ups that Sonic's Franchise does not need at all. Not a bad game tho. But it could have been a lot better.

Generations was for me the "Pax Romana". Being able to play as classic Sonic. Revisiting memories. Awesome music. Even the modern sonic levels were incredible. It was day one + collector's edition purchase for me.

But then came the Lost World with its stupid bosses, its slow and flawed gameplay, and all the Mario Galaxy cheap plagiarism...

And now this. Sonic reborn as another childish franchise, ready to be exploited as merchandise, cartoons, and cheap games.

The child within me is sad about this.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh look, the hallmark of people who are trying to be clever but aren't. Explain to me, in detail, how anything in the last four Sonic games actually relate to the words in this image.
Ha ha.

And I was thinking we got past the "Sonic Cycle" garbage in these threads. How optimistic of me, eh?

32X/Neptune was supposed to be a main platform, it just didn't pan out (and I think Chaotix was rushed out early to try to support it). And I'm saying it did have "Sonic" in the title for a long part of its development, people have found graphical references to "Sonic Crackers S32X" inside Chaotix. The first two characters in the level select are Mighty (edited Sonic) and a blanked out character that, in earlier prototypes found, flies exactly like Tails. Sonic and Tails also still have lives icons in the prototypes, listed first, etc. It was supposed to be a Sonic game, until they decided to yank him out later on and feature another character.

Whether or not you've played it is a different matter.

How hard is it for them to take old school sonic from generations/mega drive era, and put him on side scrolling HD backgrounds again?

Sonic Lost world was a vast improvement on the past stuff, btu still Generations old school levels were praised...you'd think they'd want to do what was liked again, not just redesign the game and flog that dead horse once more

KeRaSh

Sonic and Knuckles look like cavemen if you ask me. Sonic's forehead looks huge but that might just be my imagination.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ha ha.

And I was thinking we got past the "Sonic Cycle" garbage in these threads. How optimistic of me, eh?
soniccyclecycle.jpeg

In any case, 3.5 hours until the presentation. Any word on any live bloggers or something? Kind of hoping to hear about that 3rd Nintendo exclusive game, though I wouldn't be surprised if we got more info on that new show.

Another redesign? Just bring back Fatty Sonic and everybody will be happy.

Eh, make good games and most people will be happy. There will still be those that will rage out over SA Sonic being slightly different, but at least then no one will care what they have to say.

This. The reason his popularity waned was because there were too many shitty games. Fix that and people will care again. The characters really don't need a redesign.

And yet people still think that just making him look like he did originally will magically fix everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom