• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Avengers - Trailer #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

noah111

Still Alive
TxuhT.jpg
hulksmashstrip.png

1stStrike

Banned
This movie has the potential to be epic, but I have the feeling it's going to end up with Spiderman 3 syndrome of too many heroes stuffed into a single movie.

Dai101

Banned
This movie has the potential to be epic, but I have the feeling it's going to end up with Spiderman 3 syndrome of too many heroes stuffed into a single movie.

This movie has been planned since the beginning to have too many heroes stuffed in it. Spiderman 3 was stuffed because executives ordered to add and shoehorned Eddie Brock and Venom into the script. Gwen Stacy was also shoehorned into the film.

1stStrike

Banned
If there's one thing Whedon can get right, it's a large cast. That's why they hired him.

This movie has been planned since the beginning to have too many heroes stuffed in it. Spiderman 3 was stuffed because executives ordered to add and shoehorned Eddie Brock and Venom into the script. Gwen Stacy was also shoehorned into the film.

I'm going to remain skeptical until I see the movie. If they manage to prove me wrong, then good on them, but I wouldn't be surprised if it went the other way either.

Nizz

Seeing the results they're pulling off with the Hulk, if they reboot Fantastic Four they need to do The Thing in CGI.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
1. How can you have an Avengers movie with "too many heroes stuffed in it". It's the Avengers. It can't even come off plausibly right unless there's at least 5-6 team members.

2. Suggesting that Whedon can't do large casts may as well be a straight up troll. Or proof that Whedon hate is merely mindless and not rational. Bloody hell, it's practically his best legitimate ability. He has proven already he can do it, multiple times in multiple TV shows and in a feature film. Even Book's practical cameo appearance in the Firefly movie was done as meaningfully as humanly possible within time constraints.

1. How can you have an Avengers movie with "too many heroes stuffed in it". It's the Avengers. It can't even come off plausibly right unless there's at least 5-6 team members.

2. Suggesting that Whedon can't do large casts may as well be a straight up troll. Or proof that Whedon hate is merely mindless and not rational. Bloody hell, it's practically his best legitimate ability. He has proven already he can do it, multiple times in multiple TV shows and in a feature film. Even Book's practical cameo appearance in the Firefly movie was done as meaningfully as humanly possible within time constraints.

1. The point is that The Avengers movie shouldn't have ever been made. The very idea of it cheapens every character involved with it because either not enough time can be paid attention to their development or as we have seen; their standalone arcs in the form of preceding movies have suffered as a result of cramming Avengers bullshit into it. Then you have the problem of trying to plausibly retcon/tone down characters so that they can fit in with the other members.

2. The point being made there was that Whedon hasn't made anything that has been good - including Firefly/Serenity or Buffy.

anaron

1. The point is that The Avengers movie shouldn't have ever been made. The very idea of it cheapens every character involved with it because either not enough time can be paid attention to their development or as we have seen; their standalone arcs in the form of preceding movies have suffered as a result of cramming Avengers bullshit into it. Then you have the problem of trying to plausibly retcon/tone down characters so that they can fit in with the other members.

2. The point being made there was that Whedon hasn't made anything that has been good - including Firefly/Serenity or Buffy.

Says the guy who liked John Carter.

Nesotenso

For you perhaps, but for a lot of Marvel fans it's thrill to see this come to life on the big screen.

EDIT : I loved Tintin a lot, but then again just like this movie, I have a great affinity for the source material.

Blader

Or maybe it'll actually work and be a good movie.

And what do you care if an Avengers movie is made or not anyway?

Or maybe it'll actually work and be a good movie.

And what do you care if an Avengers movie is made or not anyway?

Because it literally dampens the quality of standalone films that could have otherwise been much better. Iron Man 2 had the Avengers bullshit barge into the film halfway through the fucking movie. Iron Man 2 became a huge drag because of it.

The fact that the writers have to shoehorn this bullshit into the standalone films for the sake of setting up a big cash cow only serves to kill the validity of each individual property. AvP says hi, fellas.

Man John Carter is 10 times the film this will be, and the box office receipts for The Avengers will be more than 10 times the worldwide total of JC probably haha.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Disagree with Sculli, the singular films were all entertaining, with parts of a greater narriative included. Iron Man 2 suffered a bit from this, but not drastically.

I think its refreshing to see superhero movies with bright colors, lighter stories, and as much fun and humor to match the action. Nolan's Batman movies are incredible, but there is room for this kind of stuff too, and both can be enjoyed by the same audience.

The Avengers may be a little forced, but its still gonna be a fun ride. This isn't like Transformers was or Battleship looks to be in terms of ridiculous and dumbed down. Give it a shot.

Disagree with Sculli, the singular films were all entertaining, with parts of a greater narriative included. Iron Man 2 suffered a bit from this, but not drastically.

I think its refreshing to see superhero movies with bright colors, lighter stories, and as much fun and humor to match the action. Nolan's Batman movies are incredible, but there is room for this kind of stuff too, and both can be enjoyed by the same audience.

The Avengers may be a little forced, but its still gonna be a fun ride. This isn't like Transformers was or Battleship looks to be in terms of ridiculous and dumbed down. Give it a shot.

You're describing Raimi's Spider-man films, which I'm all for. I have no problem with camping it up, so please don't construe my problem as wanting everything to be more like Batman. I just want the time and care to make one great movie paid to each of these properties, rather than sacrificing the narrative possibilities for the financial possibilities (which I still think is a huge mistake).

Blader

Because it literally dampens the quality of standalone films that could have otherwise been much better. Iron Man 2 had the Avengers bullshit barge into the film halfway through the fucking movie. Iron Man 2 became a huge drag because of it.

The fact that the writers have to shoehorn this bullshit into the standalone films only serves to kill the validity of each individual property. AvP says hi, fellas.

"I'm not interested in your little boy band."
"I'm not here to talk about that."

Yeah, that 3 second exchange killed the whole movie.

These movies, IM2 included, have hardly been crowded with Avengers references to the point where it impairs the rest of the film; any issues they've had certainly have nothing to do with existing in a shared universe. The only people who have even noticed any allusions to the Avengers are those who knew about it beforehand.

These movies, IM2 included, have hardly been crowded with Avengers references (which is way fucking overblown to the point where people are complaining that the first Iron Man was saddled with too much Avengers!), and any issues they've had certainly have nothing to do with existing in a shared universe. The only people who have even noticed any allusions to the Avengers are those who hardly knew about the Avengers beforehand.

Dude, the only reason Nick Fury and Scarlett ever show up in the fucking movie is to introduce their character for the eventual Avengers set up. Neither of them, nor the narrative time-wasting their characters forced upon the film should have been there in the first place.

Nesotenso

These movies, IM2 included, have hardly been crowded with Avengers references to the point where it impairs the rest of the film; any issues they've had certainly have nothing to do with existing in a shared universe. The only people who have even noticed any allusions to the Avengers are those who knew about it beforehand.

Couldn't agree more. IM2 glaring problem was not having a focus plot wise.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
You're describing Raimi's Spider-man films, which I'm all for. I have no problem with camping it up, so please don't construe my problem as wanting everything to be more like Batman. I just want the time and care to make one great movie paid to each of these properties, rather than sacrificing the narrative possibilities for the financial possibilities (which I still think is a huge mistake).

To be clear, I wasn't accusing you of wanting all comic movies to be dark, just making a comparison. And I agree with you 100% about Raimi's first 2 Spider Man films.

I definitely see your point, it's completely valid, but I can't deny that I enjoyed all the individual movies despite the infused Avengers stuff (though Iron Man 2 definitely dragged because of it) but I still had a great time with the individual movies and can't wait for the Avengers. Even if its a bit forced, it still looks like its going to be well made and a good time. The same can't be said for some of the other schlock that makes a lot of money and dominates the summer. (apologies to Transformers fans)

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER

While I agree that it doesn't impair the films (Iron Man 2 maybe a bit) you can't downplay the fact that all these movies, as fun as they may be, have that shadow of building toward something else in them. Thor probably had the least of it (and damn, I love Thor), but its there. I don't think its a bad thing, but I can see why some people are a little bothered by it. Consumers don't want to feel like they're investing in the future movies, they want to enjoy the one they're watching. Personally, I enjoyed them all and look forward to the Avengers, but it makes sense for some to be put off by it.

While I agree that it doesn't impair the films (Iron Man 2 maybe a bit) you can't downplay the fact that all these movies, as fun as they may be, have that shadow of building toward something else in them. Thor probably had the least of it (and damn, I love Thor), but its there. I don't think its a bad thing, but I can see why some people are a little bothered by it. Consumers don't want to feel like they're investing in the future movies, they want to enjoy the one they're watching. Personally, I enjoyed them all and look forward to the Avengers, but it makes sense for some to be put off by it.

Yep. You get it.

It was especially disgusting in how they wrapped Captain America up. Not that the film was all that great to begin with.

Proelite

The Helicarrier predates that by almost 20 years.

It used to look very different. Not saying the artist ripped off the design, but he might have been inspired by the Super Dimensional Fortress design. The open bow that either fires wave motion gun or launch fighters is pretty unique to eastern mechanical designs.

Blader

I don't think I've met a single person like that in real life :lol

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Oh, I'll definitely check out The Avengers. I just wish were getting better standalone films instead.

Just curious (not looking to start an argument or anything) but what parts of Thor and Cap felt like a huge build to the Avengers? The Cosmic Cube absolutely was foreshadowing what we all know was coming, but there was a lot of centralized story in the forefron that made it feel like its own, unique movie at the same time.

For Thor, the convos with Colston and all the Shield parts absolutely were leading to the Avengers, but like with Cap, it felt like there was more than enough there to make it feel like Thor's story and not an Avengers prequel.

We all see it in Iron Man, especially IM2, and Hulk had that part at the end and nothing else. Is it really that bad?

To be honest I can't remember the specifics of those films, mostly because I found those films forgettable. I do remember it felt really cheap to cut Cap's relationship with that bird short just as he had become Cap for the sake of rushing him to the future ASAP for the sake of getting him into The Avengers. Then the Loki shit.

Basically any time Sam Jackson rocks up in one of the films, I roll my eyes.

But a lot of my grievances do come from IM2. Shoe-horning Scarlett's antics all throughout the film was bad. As was Jackson's random involvement.

I knew it would come to this eventually, but dammit, Sculli, why does this have to be the one thing we disagree about?

Dude, the only reason Nick Fury and Scarlett ever show up in the fucking movie is to introduce their character for the eventual Avengers set up. Neither of them, nor the narrative time-wasting their characters forced upon the film should have been there in the first place.

One of the great things about Marvel having control over these properties is that the movies get to reflect the greater continuity that happens in the comics. Even in their non-team books characters like Iron Man and Thor are constantly being visited by other heroes through cameos. It's one of the things that makes Marvel, Marvel. DC on the other hand (especially Batman) is structured to be more stand-alone.

I want to add also that characters like Captain America and Iron Man are Avengers so ignoring that fact entirely is just dumb. I'm much happier that they're making an Avengers movie rather than just ignoring the fact that all of these different super heroes fought together to save the Earth multiple times over.

Couldn't agree more. IM2 glaring problem was not having a focus plot wise.

The plot was weak because there wasn't a good villain. Thor's plot was weak too, but Loki was a much better villain so the movie didn't suffer as much.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
To be honest I can't remember the specifics of those films, mostly because I found those films forgettable. I do remember it felt really cheap to cut Cap's relationship with that bird short just as he had become Cap for the sake of rushing him to the future ASAP for the sake of getting him into The Avengers. Then the Loki shit.

Basically any time Sam Jackson rocks up in one of the films, I roll my eyes.

But a lot of my grievances do come from IM2. Shoe-horning Scarlett's antics all throughout the film was bad. As was Jackson's random involvement.

Fair enough. Sam Jackson is definitely hammy. Cap's ending was kinda forced, but I feel like its still true to the character (as per the comic arcs and the Marvel "movie" universe as it exists).

I liked Scarlett in IM2, but like most red blooded American men, I really like Scarlett. I have high hopes for the Avengers. Totally get your point, I hope Whedon knocks it out of the park and proves you wrong though.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Oh so your problem is that you have absolutely fucking terrible opinions.

Duly noted.

I knew it would come to this eventually, but dammit, Sculli, why does this have to be the one thing we disagree about?

Because no man should be subject to the bonds under which Joss Whedon holds the audience's intelligence and imagination at an arm's length. I bid you rise up and recognize the potential of the stories he endeavors to sully. Never again shall we have an interstellar conglomerate of villainy bought out by Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom