• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/02/28/w...s-and-add-ons-march-1st-here-are-the-details/

Basically - here is what is going to be the defacto standard

WIND25:
- Unlimited Calling (Canada-wide, local and WIND-to-WIND)
- Unlimited Text & Picture Message (No US)
- Call Control (Call ID, Call Forwarding, Conference Calling, Missed Call Alerts)
- 100MB data is included
- WINDTab limit increases to $200
- No Voicemail

WIND40:
- Unlimited data
- Unlimited Calling (Canada-wide, local and WIND-to-WIND)
- Unlimited Text & Picture Message (No US or International texts)
- Call Control (Call ID, Call Forwarding, Conference Calling, Missed Call Alerts)
- WINDTab limit increases to $500
- No Voicemail

In addition, here’s the structure of the new add-ons:
- Voicemail plus is $8/month, includes ability to store 50 messages
- Unlimited US calling and text messaging is $10/month
- World Saver Talk and text: $8/month
- Preferred US Roaming rates: $5/month ($0.15/min, $0.05/text, $0.50/MB)
- Premium Data: 10GB full speed vs. 5GB without

So there you have it. Look for these March 1st. More after the break…

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Now there's a bunch of TTC 'automated' fare collector articles popping up. Terrible that it takes someone being shot for it to be brought up. And apparently this is the third time this collector booth had been robbed recently. Wow.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Now there's a bunch of TTC 'automated' fare collector articles popping up. Terrible that it takes someone being shot for it to be brought up. And apparently this is the third time this collector booth had been robbed recently. Wow.

I am not a "Hurp de durp durp, evil Unions!" sort of person - but the automated fare collector has been held back specifically because of Unions no? I understand the desire to protect the jobs of your constituents - but a line needs to be drawn, you shouldn't hold back progress.

Still no reason to switch off my All in the Family 2011 Wind plan lol..........lack of windtab may hurt when my Bold 9700 dies and I have to pay full price for a new phone

I'd be willing to shoot someone if it means getting automatic fare collectors. Makes zero sense that it hasn't happened yet.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
You guys say that now, but you'll miss all the charm and joy of talking to a ttc booth operator.

Stet

Banned
You guys say that now, but you'll miss all the charm and joy of talking to a ttc booth operator.

"Could I have 3 tokens, please?"

*waits in complete silence as the booth operator counts out each token while staring directly at me*

"... Thank you."

Divvy

*waits in complete silence as the booth operator counts out each token while staring directly at me*

"... Thank you."

Obvious solution is to just cover the booth in metal and there'd be no difference to an automated booth. It'd be sort of like the flinstones.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Obvious solution is to just cover the booth in metal and there'd be no difference to an automated booth. It'd be sort of like the flinstones.

The absolute biggest waste I see is during rush hour when they have a guy (sometimes 2) sitting in a chair next to the gate near at the subway entrance - because the booth is moving too slow. So it's just a guy who sits there and watches you walk in, pay your token or flash your metro pass and leave. Really? That can't be replaced with a machine that costs half this man's salary? I'm not saying fire him.. but maybe put a freeze on hiring and just fill open positions with machines.

"... Thank you."

And it's not like they even count it. They have an automatic dispensing button - they just give you your change.

explodet

I buy day passes all the time, gotta go to the booths for those as everywhere else I go to try and buy them they're either sold out or never sell them in the first place.

It's the best when I need a bunch of them and have to turn around and not go into the station because I'm walking home. I get to bump into everybody waiting in line behind me. What fun.

Stet

Banned
I buy day passes all the time, gotta go to the booths for those as everywhere else I go to try and buy them they're either sold out or never sell them in the first place.

It's the best when I need a bunch of them and have to turn around and not go into the station because I'm walking home. I get to bump into everybody waiting in line behind me. What fun.

I love how they do day passes now. Instead of actually scratching off the date, they just write it on the front in big black marker.

Divvy

I love how they do day passes now. Instead of actually scratching off the date, they just write it on the front in big black marker.

Like I said, Flinstones. Soon there will be a bird in that booth chipping away times from a stone slab.

Sajjaja

The sad thing is when slowed down to normal speed it actually took him 10 minutes to run past those people.

ybzrp.gif

Sonic's the name, speeds my game!

Hey Toronto GAF,

I'm moving to Toronto for a year in August from North Carolina by way of Calgary. Just wanted to say this has been a hugely useful thread. I wanted to get some opinions of places to live. I'm trying to get a place near work and have a few areas picked out. I was looking at the Annex and near OCAD.

I also love to Long distance Cycle and I know I saw a post awhile back about a Gaffer riding the RtCC. I won't have a vehicle so I am wondering how hard it is to get out of the city to do a nice long ride 50-70km few times a week.

Anyone use Zipshare?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I just use the automatic token machines usually, rarely ever buy anything from the booth

Some stations outside of the core, like Runnymede where I frequent, don't have token machines, or metro pass dispensers. So your only choice is to confront the terror of the token collector. I once saw a collector at said station refuse to speak to an elderly woman who didn't understand they had no more metropasses. Instead he only pointed to a poorly written sign that said NO METROPASSES, until after thirty seconds of pointing, he blurted out NO FUCKING METROPASSES HERE, CAN'T YOU READ.

Yeeeep, love them collectors. I find the ratio of friendly/unfriendly collectors is even worse than streetcar drivers. Drivers will at least give me a THANK YOU half the time for showing my pass.

Hey Toronto GAF,

I'm moving to Toronto for a year in August from North Carolina by way of Calgary. Just wanted to say this has been a hugely useful thread. I wanted to get some opinions of places to live. I'm trying to get a place near work and have a few areas picked out. I was looking at the Annex and near OCAD.

I also love to Long distance Cycle and I know I saw a post awhile back about a Gaffer riding the RtCC. I won't have a vehicle so I am wondering how hard it is to get out of the city to do a nice long ride 50-70km few times a week.

Anyone use Zipshare?

Hi. If you're looking to live around OCAD, Annex would be be a good choice. There's a lot of apartment rentals, people renting out houses, and rentals in general. There's also plenty to do in the Annex. I personally enjoy living slightly outside of the core, so I'd recommend you take a look at Roncesvalles and Parkdale as well. Anything East of the Don Valley is probably getting a bit far if you're thinking of biking everywhere, but plenty of people do it at there are some very nice neighborhoods in the area. Try using the apartment resources in the OT, and view as many as you can before making a final decision.

And if by Zipshare, you mean Zipcar, then yes. Although it's very infrequently we do, we use it for appointments in Scarborough and Mississauga, or when we pick something up large. If you're planning on traveling all day, you probably want to consider a standard car rental instead, as Zipcar is around $10.75-$13.00 per hour (price depends on size, but this includes insurance and gas), whereas you could rent an Enterprise car over the weekend for around $100. I do like Zipcar's service a lot, and they have an easy to access office in Toronto. It makes a great alternative as we don't have a car, but occasionally like to have one to use (and of course for emergencies).

Let us know how your move goes.

Sonki.

Banned
Hey Toronto GAF,

Anyone use Zipshare?

If you are thinking August, you could rent out my space. I go to OCAD and will be done my shit around then. I pay 550 a month and its a pretty cool spot for someone new.

Send me a PM and we can keep in touch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hey Toronto GAF,

Anyone use Zipshare?
No idea if these are long distances, but there's a bike trail along the Don Valley River and the Beach-front.

Hey Toronto Gaf, I'm actually from Mississauga but close enough haha

Anyway I have a story to share and want to know if this has happened to anyone else in Toronto or Sauga GAF. This happened yesterday on the 28th

My mom was at Costco in heartland today and when she was leaving to go to her car, a guy came up to her and was trying to sell her a home theater system. She didn't want to do it but the guy was extremely forceful in wanting her to buy it, it had the MRSP $2999.99 on the side, and he said he had two other people to sell too and wanted to get rid of them as fast as possible. He also showed her a website that looked legit and everything too. The guy wanted $300, my mom said she would buy it for $100 but the guy said he'd might as well throw it away. They settled on $200.

When I got home I googled the brand (Rolkolsen) and Obviously it was a scam, my mom said she was thinking of me and said she thought I'd really enjoy it..ugh. Today was her birthday too.. She can't really sleep cause she keeps thinking of it. We don't really have any extra money to throw around so it hurt a lot. I just wish I was with her so I could have just told the guy to fuck off quick and easy.

I guess you live and you learn. Have any of you guys run into people like this?

I've heard about that scam before =/

Tell the store, maybe they have the guy on camera

I've been researching a lot on it, and people that have tried to get the police involved usually just get "Its not illegal for someone to sell you a product" sort of thing.

I'm thinking of sort of camping the area to see if I see anyone trying to sell anything like that that fits the description of what my mom described him as..I doubt he'd come back to the same area though

I've been researching a lot on it, and people that have tried to get the police involved usually just get "Its not illegal for someone to sell you a product" sort of thing.

I'm thinking of sort of camping the area to see if I see anyone trying to sell anything like that that fits the description of what my mom described him as..I doubt he'd come back to the same area though

Trespassing and Costco might want to make sure none of their other members get scammed on their property

The police don't necessarily have to get involved, Costco may want to be on the lookout for this douche

I've never heard of that one but I would definitely never buy anything from a random guy in a parking lot. One time I was at a gas station in Kentucky and a guy tried to sell me a car that "he found" for $500. Needless to say, I passed on that one.

Toronto photo of the day:

6776496806_4ef8aee366_b.jpg

StevieP

Banned

Anyway I have a story to share and want to know if this has happened to anyone else in Toronto or Sauga GAF. This happened yesterday on the 28th

My mom was at Costco in heartland today and when she was leaving to go to her car, a guy came up to her and was trying to sell her a home theater system. She didn't want to do it but the guy was extremely forceful in wanting her to buy it, it had the MRSP $2999.99 on the side, and he said he had two other people to sell too and wanted to get rid of them as fast as possible. He also showed her a website that looked legit and everything too. The guy wanted $300, my mom said she would buy it for $100 but the guy said he'd might as well throw it away. They settled on $200.

When I got home I googled the brand (Rolkolsen) and Obviously it was a scam, my mom said she was thinking of me and said she thought I'd really enjoy it..ugh. Today was her birthday too.. She can't really sleep cause she keeps thinking of it. We don't really have any extra money to throw around so it hurt a lot. I just wish I was with her so I could have just told the guy to fuck off quick and easy.

How is the sound? I was thinking about putting a home theater in my bedroom lol.

Seriously, though, stuff like that makes me angry. It's one thing to try and sell stuff to us young whippersnappers - but to pick on a lady? Makes me want to punch things.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Happens in a lot of cities. I remember the story about iPad 2 being sold in parking lots, but they turned out to only be filled with clay. Seems more effective around winter when people are crazy to find the 'hot item'. It's easier to pressure people into it than you might think as well.

Rinoa

Well, that's a pretty silly thing to say, considering that crime in general, and most certainly murders, are down in the city compared to whatever idealized time you grew up in. :p

I don't remember shootings in Dupont station or constant muggings in Christie station during the 80s. This is a pretty new development for the neighborhood if you ask me.

Brinbe

Damn, that's awful. =(

Never been hit by that, but I do know it's a pretty common scam. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam

Boogie

I don't remember shootings in Dupont station or constant muggings in Christie station during the 80s. This is a pretty new development for the neighborhood if you ask me.

Just because you "don't remember" things being as bad, doesn't mean they weren't. For one thing, I doubt as a kid growing up you paid as much attention to crime stories as an adult. For another, nostalgic rose-coloured glasses give you a distorted view of the past.

Third, it is an objective fact that crime is lower today in Toronto than it has been in decades.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Toronto

How old are you? The city's worst year for homicides was in 1991 with 89 murders, not too long after your idyllic 80s. In comparison, there were only 46 homicides in 2011, with obviously a higher population in the city.

Oppo

Yeah i had a roommate who once bought some giant speakers out of a white van in a parking lot for $50. he knew they were probably hot but had a demo on the spot and thought, why the fuck not. they sounded terribad. :\ his cats did enjoy destroying them however.

edit - Boogie is right about the crime, but "getting a bit softer on crime" doesn't play well in the media/is counterintuitive for a fearful populace

ElNino

As mentioned by others, this is a very common scam that has been going on for quite a while.

I will admint that I bought speakers from this scam (many) years ago when I was in high school. I was coming out of the bank (in Kitchener) and the white van guys showed me a pair of speakers which were Cerwin Vega knock offs. They said they cost $2000 but would sell for $500. I knew they were fake, but I was only 16 and thought they looked nice at least... I believe I paid $100 for them. To be honest, they didn't sound bad to me although I had only ever been using the TV speakers before that, and I used them through university until I could afford to by a set of "real" speakers.

Funnily enough, I even ran into the same thing again in Guelph a few years later... different guys, but exact same scam.

There is less crime of every type now than there was back in the time you are remembering. The news also pumps out sensationalist news stories much quicker and more efficiently than they used to because of how fast new media travels. This is great for keeping people scared.

Thanks for some of the feedback, I didn't know how often these type of things happen. I think were going to try find a pawn shop or something and sell the theater set. My mom will be happy if she can get at least half of the money she spent on it.

Is there any pawn shops in Mississauga anyway? Or only Toronto?

I think I almost fell for something else like these when I was trying to buy Dr Dre headphones off of kijiji. It was one of the sketchiest meets I've ever had, good thing I didn't end up buying them.

StevieP

Banned
Thanks for some of the feedback, I didn't know how often these type of things happen. I think were going to try find a pawn shop or something and sell the theater set. My mom will be happy if she can get at least half of the money she spent on it.

Is there any pawn shops in Mississauga anyway? Or only Toronto?

I think I almost fell for something else like these when I was trying to buy Dr Dre headphones off of kijiji. It was one of the sketchiest meets I've ever had, good thing I didn't end up buying them.

What type of amplifier is it? (i.e. do you have any pics or sites with specs)

And the Chinese are VERY good at knocking off headphones. I know that from experience. Never buy them anywhere outside the big box stores.

Dyno

The education of Rob Ford?:
http://www.thestar.com/news/transpo...rob-ford-floats-tolls-to-finance-subways?bn=1

Tolls, Parking charges, even a 100 dollar Vehicle Registration Tax! Ford wants a subway on Sheppard so bad that it hurts!

He's taken a year and a half to get right back where he started, which I think is wonderful, just wonderful. Children, gather round and behold the awful price of idiocy! When you don't listen to others you waste time, are made to look like the village oaf, and eventually wind up using the old ideas you rejected in the first place.

Top Bottom