• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Quick

Banned
Nice. Good to see them do something with the commerce building. They could've just bought the lot for the bank building and made it bigger altogether, but I suppose it's all about costs.

Azih

Uh dont' want to get into this as it's turned kinda nasty but I do believe that crime is lower in this city than it was before and a lot of us feeling less safe has to do with the 24 hour news cycle and an increasingly sensationalistic media.

This is an incredibly safe city and is safer than it was in decades past.

But it didn't. Transit City was an expensive proposition even to the left-wingers on Council,.... So as wonderful in concept as Transit City was, the way things stood Miller's policies could have bankrupted the city.
I'll have to take issue with this. Transit City was fully funded with provincial money. Two lines were cut when McGuinty started going into money saving mode but everything was fully costed and funded.

Also Miller left the city and Ford with a large surplus. He did it while making business owners happy by agreeing to raise taxes on residents faster than on businesses (reversing previous populist policies) and he paid for his policies with the land transfer tax and the vehicle registration tax. This is doubly impressive as he fought to get the City of Toronto Act passed which allowed the city to pass these taxes in the first place (making it so the city wasn't hamstrung by relying solely on property for tax revenue, kudos to McGuinty for going with this as well). His rep took a beating by the damn garbage strike but dammit he was a great mayor otherwise. One more term of him would have solidified his accomplishments. Oh well.

Blackhead

Redarse
Toronto Meetup Thread

Since every other city meetup had a thread for deciding time and place, decided to make one. Discussion here kept being overshadowed anyway.

I'll try to repost this every fifty pages if you don't manage to.

Every canada/toronto thread (or vancouver or montreal etc) should include links in the OP to the other related threads so newbies who click on one thread by happenstance can quickly be directed to the other pertinent but less popular threads.

*throws bag of popcorn in microwave*

Oh reeeeeeally?

Nah, not really. I just saw everyone arguing and thought it looked like fun. I'm bored of it already though.

Toronto photo of the day:

6925841125_42897efdd4_b.jpg

Hey guys. Guess what's going up opposite Eaton's Centre on Yonge? 60 floors. I hope this means the bank buildings will actually be used for something soon too. I enjoyed the idea of having a museum (maybe devoted to the city?) in them.

It looks like the old building on the right will be used as the entrance and lobby to the condo. The one of the left wasn't bought by the developers so I guess anyone could still buy or lease that one. The tower looks great but the best thing about this development is the donation of some of the purchased land to Massey Hall.

From the press release:

------

"MOD will further contribute to the enhancement of the neighbourhood by donating a portion of their site fronting on Victoria Street to Massey Hall.

"The proposed gift of this key portion of land at the south of Massey Hall by MOD Developments is an incredibly exciting development for the Hall and for the city of Toronto," said Charles Cutts, President and CEO of the Corporation of Massey Hall and Roy Thomson Hall. "It presents us with multiple options to revitalize Massey Hall and we'll be studying them closely in the coming months. We will begin the process with our board meeting later in January."

--------

Is The Sun turning on Ford?

Had Ford Really declared war on the car? Or when your own dumbass talking points come back to bite you on the ass
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/29/has-ford-really-declared-war-on-the-car

Ford Should Bury Subway Tax Idea. Or Transit can got to hell but you'd better not raise my taxes!
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/28/ford-should-bury-subway-tax-idea

Wow. If the Sun turns against him, it's all over. "Ford Nation" is composed largely of "Sun Nation", and Sun readers blindly follow anything that paper says.

We've now got a completely powerless mayor for the next two and a half years.

Is The Sun turning on Ford?

Had Ford Really declared war on the car? Or when your own dumbass talking points come back to bite you on the ass
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/29/has-ford-really-declared-war-on-the-car

Ford Should Bury Subway Tax Idea. Or Transit can got to hell but you'd better not raise my taxes!
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/28/ford-should-bury-subway-tax-idea

This had to happen. As you as you mention parking fees and an increased vehicle registration tax, you're going to get drivers on the attack.

This had to happen. As you as you mention parking fees and an increased vehicle registration tax, you're going to get drivers on the attack.

haha. I just had this really funny image in my head of the Sun writers trying to write a story as they sit in traffic on the 401. They are spilling coffee on themselves and making tons of spelling mistakes.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It looks like the old building on the right will be used as the entrance and lobby to the condo. The one of the left wasn't bought by the developers so I guess anyone could still buy or lease that one. The tower looks great but the best thing about this development is the donation of some of the purchased land to Massey Hall.

From the press release:

------

"MOD will further contribute to the enhancement of the neighbourhood by donating a portion of their site fronting on Victoria Street to Massey Hall.

"The proposed gift of this key portion of land at the south of Massey Hall by MOD Developments is an incredibly exciting development for the Hall and for the city of Toronto," said Charles Cutts, President and CEO of the Corporation of Massey Hall and Roy Thomson Hall. "It presents us with multiple options to revitalize Massey Hall and we'll be studying them closely in the coming months. We will begin the process with our board meeting later in January."

--------

Well, I noticed that in the renderings, it looked like they put the lobby for the condo in the parkette between the buildings. I was hoping they'd rent out the old bank buildings for something more.. beneficial to the area, but I guess that's false hope.

lol @ the "conservative" friends I have applauding the idea of raising taxes to pay for subways and ignoring all the shit they said about Miller and the Liberals when praising Ford during and after the election *facepalm*

They don't drive btw

Well, I noticed that in the renderings, it looked like they put the lobby for the condo in the parkette between the buildings. I was hoping they'd rent out the old bank buildings for something more.. beneficial to the area, but I guess that's false hope.

The lobby is actually to go in the old bank building on the right and the thing in the middle is a new retail space for Yonge Street.

In this larger image, you can clearly see how the new building in the middle is retail (shown as a clothing store as an example in the image) and the condo lobby is in the bank building:

DOGA0.jpg

Dyno

The lobby is actually to go in the old bank building on the right and the thing in the middle is a new retail space for Yonge Street.

In this larger image, you can clearly see how the new building in the middle is retail (shown as a clothing store as an example in the image) and the condo lobby is in the bank building:

DOGA0.jpg

I just love those design renderings. Chandaleer in every room! Ballin!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Damn it. Well, I hope they switch it. It'll be interesting to see if it ends up at 60 floors, given there's a strict height limit in the area.

Rinoa

Welp, time to go into the fray for the third time to bid on a new place. Last two times got ugly, one was a condo that went 50k over asking and was written about (21 bids st george one, wasn't even that great), another one was a detached house that went nearly 100k over asking.

Reading now, the info on that article is wrong. It says two terraces but it was two miniscule walk out/balconies that might as well have been windows. The real draw was the "cathedral" style master bedroom, hidden walk in closet, and little details like sunroof in the bath/shower.

And in other news

Human remains have been found at the 401 and Yonge

CBC says sources say the remains may have been there for 2-3 years and they are female

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
And in other news

CBC says sources say the remains may have been there for 2-3 years and they are female
Police haven't confirmed anything yet though.
Mariam Makhniashvili's mother Lela Tabidze told CityNews that Toronto police called her at home on Thursday morning after the body was found. They didn't tell her the remains were those of her daughter, but they wanted to let her know that the discovery would be on the news.

Mariam was 17 years old when she disappeared on her way to school in September 2009. She hasn’t been seen since.
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn.../190811--human-remains-found-at-hwy-401-yonge

Rinoa

Struck out tonite, wasn't willing to go much over but seems some chinese peeps were.

And in other news

That's damn creepy.

cbox

Anyone else stuck in that clusterfuck of a morning commute this morning? I was at kipling station an hour and a half waiting for a shuttle bus. Broke up a few fist fights in the process, surprised no fires broke out.

That's some dedication right there... GRRRRR

Azih

Anyone else stuck in that clusterfuck of a morning commute this morning? I was at kipling station an hour and a half waiting for a shuttle bus. Broke up a few fist fights in the process, surprised no fires broke out.

Damn that sucks, the Yonge line was smooth for a change. The system needs help.

LevelNth

Banned
Struck out tonite, wasn't willing to go much over but seems some chinese peeps were.
Home purchasing in Toronto is a nightmare, not to mention IMO not necessarily financially sound. But best of luck to you, and if need be, I can recommend you a good mortgage guy, as I know a bunch from an old job downtown.

If the bidding doesn't go well, consider what I tell everyone: rent from condo owners. Yes, you don't build the equity of a purchase, but man alive will you live cheaply. So many units are up for rent some owners are desperate to fill them, and take $100-400 per month losses.

cbox

Damn that sucks, the Yonge line was smooth for a change. The system needs help.

I actually felt bad for the ttc employees because they were working their asses off ( or it seemed that way at least ) trying to organize 2000 people onto shuttle busses.

Hieberrr

Fuck yeah man, I left from Lansdowne at 920-930 and the whole platform was packed.

EDIT: Okay, it doesn't sound as bad as you went through LOL

cbox

Fuck yeah man, I left from Lansdowne at 920-930 and the whole platform was packed.

EDIT: Okay, it doesn't sound as bad as you went through LOL

People treated the buses as if they were the last mode of transport out of a warzone or zombie infestation, I couldn't help but laugh at people risking their lives to get on a bus LOL

Azih

People treated the buses as if they were the last mode of transport out of a warzone or zombie infestation, I couldn't help but laugh at people risking their lives to get on a bus LOL

God I remember the last time I ran into that chaos on the Yonge Line during the evening rush hour. Seemed like 200 people waiting for a bus to show up and when one finally did that I was close enough to the door to squeeze on a crazy Jamaican lady went into a full on lung bursting scream and pushed through the crowd 8 deep to barrel on. She was hollering non stop the entire time.

Top Bottom