• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Game to be announced next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pramath

Banned
Every time I read a Pokemon thread on GAF, I get the weirdest sense of deja vu.
Anyway, my two cents on everything:

a) Pokemon Grey/Gray will be on 3DS
b) Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire were pretty bad. Not as awful as everyone makes them out to be (D/P were honestly worse), but they were pretty bad
c) Gold/Silver were the best games in the series. Haters gonna hate.
d) Black/White are great.
e) Black/White had Pokemon level design. The games were easy. The story and characterization was great. The music was good. The environments were diverse.
f) Also, Charizard and Gyarados>>>>All.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Mt. Coronet scenario is probably my favorite showdown with the token evil team in the series, and one of the reasons I like Sinnoh. The way it towers over the entire region and is traversed in part several times along the quest just gave it a nice imposing feeling that you knew would lead up to something. Cyrus was definitely the most ambitious and informed of all of the villains, too.

645, telling it like it is.

I'd rather they be rude to you than nice.

They didn't even feel like rivals.

Gen 3 and 4 suck. Thank based god for Gen 5.

Hate to break it to you bucky boy but Gen 5 was exactly the same as far as rivals go as 3 and 4 with no-douchebag childhood friends as rivals.

Platinum is way better than D/P for the battle system speedup alone. Not to mention the interface looks slicker, and more Pokémon in the regional dex means the Elite Four are actually something of a challenge now. Too bad Flint's still as bad as ever.

Platinum/HG/SS definitely had too many legendaries though. I know they were trying to get rid of the dependency on the GBA games, but still...

What?! That was easily the best part of HG/SS! Having so many obtainable legends in one game made them feel hugely satisfying, and having so many legend Wi-Fi events in a short time actually made Wi-Fi events worth it.

EDIT: KYUREM SUCKS

You will bow before the Ice Lord when Gray cometh. Yea, you all will. Prepare thyself, for the Frozen World is at hand.

Ultimadrago

379.png

Registeel is the only good one. Let's be honest.

NJxCK.jpg

Always better to work together

Every time I read a Pokemon thread on GAF, I get the weirdest sense of deja vu.
Anyway, my two cents one everything:
f) Also, Charizard and Gyarados>>>>All.

*standing ovation*

Encore! Encooore!

Wiseblade

The problem with kids (and 21+ year old men) these days.
Some "complex" designs and trashbag Pokemans come here and there and suddenly Kanto, is dull and tasteless.

Articuno! Articuno's gracefulness, I say! Over Crystalfaec's...crystalness.

Would probably kick Articuno's ass in a fight though

That's the problem with you crochety old men. You get too attached to circles with eyes and suddenly Unova is too busy and digimon-like. Keldeo! Keldeo's awesomeness I say! Over firechicke's... firechickenness.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Drifblim is one of my favourite Pokemon from 4th gen.

Also Honchkrow is another badass Pokemon from gen 4.

wlXNk.gif

High five duder.

If there's anything D/P did great. It was dat music.

And if there's anything Barry added (the only thing he added) was dat quirky theme. Seriously, love that beat.

Second most powerful trainer in the series after HGSS Red, hey-oh

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Personally, the Plasma scenario was by far the most effective and well-integrated. Fighting N throughout, Ghetsis appearing all over the place, Plasma basically succeeding until you lay the smack down, the Gym Leaders rescuing you from the Sages... so good, and a really effective way of tying all the character development the characters went through, such as Cheren and Bianca.

N and Ghetsis's plotlines were really well done by any standards; by the standards of a Pokemon plot, they're incredible.
Yeah, it was done pretty well, but I still have to give the edge to Cyrus on ambition alone. And I kind of got the feeling that we were cockblocked from Sage battles that are being saved for Gray.

Waging war to liberate Pokemon from their trainers... through fighting Pokemon battles... didn't make a whole lot of sense either. Not even most Galactic grunts were that dumb.

Hate to break it to you bucky boy but Gen 5 was exactly the same as far as rivals go as 3 and 4 with no-douchebag childhood friends as rivals.

There was actually a point to the personalities of the rivals in Gen 5, though. The way that they drifted apart in methods as they went through the game was a fuckload more satisfying than "Smell ya later, loser" the whole damn time.

I particularly liked the implication that the player is to Cheren as Blue was to the player in the originals.

Waging war to liberate Pokemon from their trainers... through fighting Pokemon battles... didn't make a whole lot of sense either. Not even most Galactic grunts were that dumb.

It was lampshaded, to be fair, and I liked the little touches like the Plasma grunt who was having a crisis of confidence because he was getting too close to his Pokemon.

And I loved how much of a total, unapologetic bastard Ghetsis was.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Also Barry's Plat sprite is the awesomest:

Avoud.gif

There was actually a point to the personalities of the rivals in Gen 5, though. The way that they drifted apart in methods as they went through the game was a fuckload more satisfying than "Smell ya later, loser" the whole damn time.

I particularly liked the implication that the player is to Cheren as Blue was to the player in the originals.

Indeed, Gen 5 rivals were handled very well, even if Bianca is unduly annoying for most of the game.

Comet

Platinum is way better than D/P for the battle system speedup alone. Not to mention the interface looks slicker, and more Pokémon in the regional dex means the Elite Four are actually something of a challenge now. Too bad Flint's still as bad as ever.

Platinum/HG/SS definitely had too many legendaries though. I know they were trying to get rid of the dependency on the GBA games, but still...

EDIT: KYUREM SUCKS
Platinum is the only way Generation 4 was playable in my eyes. Such a huge upgrade over Diamond and Pearl.

Delio

Also Barry's Plat sprite is the awesomest:

Avoud.gif

Indeed, Gen 5 rivals were handled very well, even if Bianca is unduly annoying for most of the game.

I really felt bad for Bianca. She was never going to be a good trainer no matter how hard she tried but she seemed to come to accept that and wanted to do something else. I liked that.

Box

The Pokemon Company should have taken the Nintendo approach to franchising. Keep your characters and conventions consistent. There wouldn't be such a division among Pokemon fans over which games are better if each new generation after Gen 2 didn't pretend like every game before it didn't exist. The way it stands, the series has all the stagnation of a Nintendo franchise without a lot of the lasting appeal to older fans. It's not unusual at all for someone to love one particular generation and hate another despite all of the games having almost identical gameplay.

Randdalf

Sinnoh region wins off of Luxray alone!

I think I ended up with Luxray in all 3 of my Pearl/Diamond/Platinum playthroughs.

Retrospectively, those games are really nothing compared to HGSS and BW, Soul Silver was just a huge nostalgia trip for me and I celebrated like a madman when I beat Lance - just like I did when I was 9 years old. I'd really like to see Ruby/Sapphire remakes, I loved that game to death but I stupidly overwrote my save on a whim and now my beloved Kyogre and Sceptile live on only inside my Pokemon Colosseum memory card.

In truth, a remastered compilation of all the generations so far would be the ultimate game in my books, never gonna happen money grubbing and all that, but a man can dream.

Wichu

You will bow before the Ice Lord when Gray cometh. Yea, you all will. Prepare thyself, for the Frozen World is at hand.

Only if they de-uglify him.

Also, can't believe I missed Lapras and Articuno in my original post. Any of those beat the current Kyurem.

Water routes in Pokemon suck and BW benefited greatly from minimizing them to bare essential portions.
Nope. They added a lot of variety to R/S/E and provided some contrast to the terrestrial confines of Kanto and Johto. And diving allowed for a lot of cool stuff to do in the other diagonal half of Hoenn.

R/S/E, unfortunately, had the worst "rivals" of all, and the game couldn't decide between Brendan/May and Wally at all. At least Brendan/May got two amazing theme songs! Right?

The Pokemon Company should have taken the Nintendo approach to franchising. Keep your characters and conventions consistent. There wouldn't be such a division among Pokemon fans over which games are better if each new generation after Gen 2 didn't pretend like every game before it didn't exist. The way it stands, the series has all the stagnation of a Nintendo franchise without a lot of the lasting appeal to older fans. It's not unusual at all for someone to love one particular generation and hate another despite all of the games having almost identical gameplay.

Considering that Game Freak has been bringing out consistent big-budget remakes of previous generations, I really don't see how this applies.

In any case... well, it's not doing the lasting appeal of the series much harm, let's face it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Crazy junior ahoy!

Keep your characters and conventions consistent.

The Pokemon and conventions are consistent.

There wouldn't be such a division among Pokemon fans over which games are better if each new generation after Gen 2 didn't pretend like every game before it didn't exist.

No there still would be, the same way Mario fans argue over SMB3 vs SMW or SMG/2 vs NSMBW.

The way it stands, the series has all the stagnation of a Nintendo franchise without a lot of the lasting appeal to older fans.

I guess all of us in this thread are completely new to the series!

It's not unusual at all for someone to love one particular generation and hate another despite all of the games having almost identical gameplay.

Let's be clear, I'm sure all of us love all of these games. But that doesn't mean some games did things we didn't like, or some games did things we loved. That's how you know a series is good: there's no consensus on which is by far the best.

Although a remarkable amount of people do seem to think B/W are the best, but in Pokemon, the latest games are usually the best mechanically. But that's different from saying it's the best overall, there are other things to consider, like how much it changed things in the series for better or worse.

Anth0ny

I know.

But at least everything else in the game was good. Everything else in gen 3 and 4 absolutely SUCKED

pramath

Banned
You know, I think this thread is as good a place as any for me to come out and say it.
Pokemon is the best Nintendo series. The best Nintendo series.
I <3 Pokemon

pramath

Banned
I know.

But at least everything else in the game was good. Everything else in gen 3 and 4 absolutely SUCKED

Whoa there. Gen 3 was a step back, and Gen 4 was redundant but they were still highly enjoyable games.
That's the one good thing about Pokemon. It's a bloody consistent series.

Salvadora

I loved the surprise of having Giovanni as a gym leader. We need more of that in the games, Bad gym leaders.
Edit: Yeah Blue was great and I always like Whitney, Because it was a challenge.

Box

Crazy junior ahoy!
You can play through a whole game and know next to none of the Pokemon in previous versions, not to mention you wouldn't know anything about the locations or characters. That's not the typical Nintendo approach and I think it's helped foster a division.

It's not crazy. Final Fantasy has the same problem. They had to come up with Kingdom Hearts to preserve everyone's favorite FF characters.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You can play through a whole game and know next to none of the Pokemon in previous versions, not to mention you wouldn't know anything about the locations or characters. That's not the typical Nintendo approach and I think it's helped foster a division.

It's not crazy. Final Fantasy has the same problem. They had to come up with Kingdom Hearts to preserve everyone's favorite FF characters.

I don't think this is a problem. The games continue to sell massive amounts to both old and new fans.

Would it be nice? Sure, in fact it's why I put Gold/Silver on a pedestal. But is it necessary, or even preferred? No. Having a new gen introduce its own region and cast of characters is what makes each game feel fresh, despite being mechanically very similar to old games.

Box

I don't think this is a problem. The games continue to sell massive amounts to both old and new fans.

Would it be nice? Sure, in fact it's why I put Gold/Silver on a pedestal. But is it necessary, or even preferred? No. Having a new gen introduce its own region and cast of characters is what makes each game feel fresh, despite being mechanically very similar to old games.

You find them fresh? I don't find them fresh. I find them uninspired seeing as how the new regions reinvent all the characters and Pokemon just to serve the same purposes they did in the previous games, but that might not be such a conventional opinion.

GameE

Despite this, however, the summary and trailer of that episode of Pokémon Smash makes no mention of any sort of announcement. We'll bring news on these developments as and when they happen so be sure to keep checking back

On serebii
So no announcement?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You find them fresh? I don't find them fresh. I find them uninspired seeing as how the new regions reinvent all the characters and Pokemon just to serve the same purposes they did in the previous games, but that might not be such a conventional opinion.

It definitely makes them feel fresh. And obviously, I'm not alone. Each Pokemon game has its own feel and flavor.

On serebii
So no announcement?

I was thinking, when he said "watch Pokemon Smash" he didn't necessarily mean this Sunday's one.

On serebii
So no announcement?

Maybe not this coming Sunday. Smash is filmed several weeks in advance, Masuda could have been confused. Or, it could be a complete surprise.

Regardless, there will be an announcement by mid-April of a Game Freak game, going by history.

EDIT: I added into the OP this morning that the Smash preview mentioned no game news or Masuda visit, btw.

I was thinking, when he said "watch Pokemon Smash" he didn't necessarily mean this Sunday's one.

He said 'watch it next week' specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom