• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Aesthet1c

I was one of the lucky ones who got the phone 2 days early. So I assume there was much less traffic when filling out my form. Plus I have the bundle deal, and that comes with 2 days shipping. Not sure if the free promotion ships the same way.

I got my phone Wednesday morning and went straight to the site to claim my promo. I paid the $100 and my order was processed. Haven't heard anything since. My order status page has almost no details. I'm hoping they ship it out soon, seems like a lot of people are getting theirs already.

No Love

Banned
Really close to pulling the trigger, but waiting for some kind of deal.
I am with TMo and they do not have much going on with it.
Sooner or later Samsung will throw in a headset again or something.

Really? You're going to wait on the best phone of the year because you want some cheap plastic crap that you'll use a couple times and never again bundled in? Screw that.

Jeffrey

Urgh. 30min on the Samsung support line and nothing. Middle of the afternoon too.

Preorder stuff should have just came with the gear vr instead of this bullshit

Hex

Banned
Really? You're going to wait on the best phone of the year because you want some cheap plastic crap that you'll use a couple times and never again bundled in? Screw that.

My 6 edge is working very well at the moment, and I also have my eye on the Xperia XZ Premium.

Pepiope

I got my phone Wednesday morning and went straight to the site to claim my promo. I paid the $100 and my order was processed. Haven't heard anything since. My order status page has almost no details. I'm hoping they ship it out soon, seems like a lot of people are getting theirs already.
I guess I just got really lucky. My bundle is already here.

Urgh. Was rejected twice on the Samsung promo site.

Calling them now.

What did y'all present for receipt? Best buy buyers.

When I sent them the receipt I got when I received the phone, it was denied. Then I sent the email I first received when I originally pre-ordered the device. Just checked on their website, and now it says my submission was approved and it's processing my gift.

Jeffrey

When I sent them the receipt I got when I received the phone, it was denied. Then I sent the email I first received when I originally pre-ordered the device. Just checked on their website, and now it says my submission was approved and it's processing my gift.
Yeah I tried that. Guess I'll try to submit the original email.

So I'm laying in my bed in the dark about to go sleep and remember that I need to log into my works web server to do something quickly.

I pick up the phone which is unlocked with fingerprint by the time I look at it.

I hit the bookmark on my hone screen that takes me to the login screen, the iris scanner automatically flashes and I'm in.

So awesome.

Also, Samsung has done a good job integrating their security into their internet browser and actually making their browser very good. It's the reason why I never used chrome on my S7E and why I'll likely never use it on my S8+. Screw stock android. Give me companies willing to do more than just the absolute basics.

JonnyKong

I'm sorry if this is an incredibly dumb thing to ask, but I'm having trouble with Spotify on this phone. I don't know if it's the version I've downloaded or what, but basically once I've logged in, I go to my playlists, pick a song and away it goes, except once I've started the song, a second pop up box specifically for that song doesn't appear like it would on all other devices. The song just plays from the list instead. I physically cannot stop the song. No play or pause option is appearing anywhere. It's driving me crazy, so much so I've had to delete the app for now. This is harder than I thought to try explain.

Anyone else having trouble with Edge Lighting not happening? I have it turned on, also specifically went in and selected the particular apps/notifications to use it. Still nothing.

I have the always-on lock screen activated with an infinity wallpaper if that matters.

Am I missing something?

Izayoi

Banned
I'm sorry if this is an incredibly dumb thing to ask, but I'm having trouble with Spotify on this phone. I don't know if it's the version I've downloaded or what, but basically once I've logged in, I go to my playlists, pick a song and away it goes, except once I've started the song, a second pop up box specifically for that song doesn't appear like it would on all other devices. The song just plays from the list instead. I physically cannot stop the song. No play or pause option is appearing anywhere. It's driving me crazy, so much so I've had to delete the app for now. This is harder than I thought to try explain.
I've had no problem with Spotify on mine. Use it every day and I don't have any issues like you are describing...

Version 8.4.0.539 armV7

Jeffrey

spigen tough armor is another case i'd recommend. Quite a thin case, but sturdy. Also has a kickstand which is nice when you are watching something during lunch time or what not.

Just now hitting 50% battery life at 923 central time after unplugging it at about 7AM this morning. Got damn. Takes forever to drain and not long to charge. A great combination.

Granted I haven't really put it through the paces at all, but having it on around 70% brightness, surfing the web here and there, and watching YouTube videos occasionally. I haven't gotten around to any games yet.

Anyone else having trouble with Edge Lighting not happening? I have it turned on, also specifically went in and selected the particular apps/notifications to use it. Still nothing.

I have the always-on lock screen activated with an infinity wallpaper if that matters.

Am I missing something?
Only problem I'm having is that Facebook messenger isn't listed as an app that can receive notifications that way.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
They said my free GearVR would be 6-8 weeks but it got here today.

The overheating problem with VR seems to gone on 8+ vs my S6E :D I was able to watch Oculus quality VR videos at full brightness and the phone barely got warm. The only issue is the 8+ is actually quite heavy on the headset but happy with the picture quality.

They said my free GearVR would be 6-8 weeks but it got here today.

The overheating problem with VR seems to gone on 8+ vs my S6E :D I was able to watch Oculus quality VR videos at full brightness and the phone barely got warm. The only issue is the 8+ is actually quite heavy on the headset but happy with the picture quality.
Over heating was gone on the S7 edge, but it seemed to actually run a lot of apps worse than my S6. I'm hoping for no over heating and stable frame rates with the S8. Fingers crossed! I hope mine arrived as quickly.

I cannot stop using this phone. I randomly find myself picking it up just to admire it.

Same here. Most of the time I don't have anything in particular to look at lol

That reminds me I do need to find some wallpapers. I had the Verge review one but it was bright lol

Crayons

Banned
God, what a sexy looking phone. I'd love to have the Orchid Grey but I can't drop $800 on a phone like that.

But damn, its pretty.

Jeffrey

best oled wallpaper is a pure black one lol.

gave me... og iphone vibes lol.

Anyone of yall find any decent themes?

been just playing with free ones.

black edition v2 is nice dark theme.

pixelize if you want a nice 'aosp' feeling theme.

The Llama

I've been rocking a Moto X Pure for the last six months since I accidentally smashed my Galaxy S5. Was planning to wait for the iPhone 8 later this year, but damn this S8 is tempting me...

Crayons

Banned
This camera is blowing me away. My last three phones have been the Galaxy S3 (was a great phone camera at the time), LG G3 (was great in some ways at the time and bad in low light), and Droid Turbo (was 20MP but was very disappointing overall). So I'm not going to say it's the best phone camera ever or whatever, since I just have no way of knowing that, but to me, somebody who has never actually been blown away by phone cameras, I'm so impressed.

EqxHam.jpg

I mean, this is a picture I would have been super happy with even on my DSLR or my highish-end point and shoot.

Are you saying the 12MP Galaxy S8 camera takes better pics than a 20MP phone camera?

A little confused

NeOak

Are you saying the 12MP Galaxy S8 camera takes better pics than a 20MP phone camera?

A little confused
It's a shit 20MP sensor. Megapixel count isn't everything.

Only great 20MP sensor was on the Lumia 1520, 930 and 950/XL.

Then again, the still GOAT is the 41MP sensor in the Lumia 1020. With hardware OIS.

LinusTechTips' review is out. Sensible stuff, TL;DW he's switching to it from his iPhone but the Android memory jank management piss him off and small niggles remain.

Wait until he gets to experience the joy that is DQA
Shit like this is why I'm pretty set on switching to iOS. The speed upgrade in QoL things and web browsing, minimal difference in camera quality, iMessage, and not dealing with garbage just bogging down my phone.

On the flip side, fuck those screen resolutions and lack of multitasking.

Top Bottom