• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision: Destiny 2 PC version will launch late, still determining exact date

renzolama

This is pure conjecture, but it's fun to speculate so I'll throw some fuel on the fire.

It seems like a lot of folks are assuming that this is a resource / development scheduling problem, and I sincerely doubt that's the case. Again, pure conjecture obviously (but based on some knowledge of how software development works), but the game is most likely being developed and tested on PC as a primary platform because that's where the development tools and assets are going to reside - it would make little sense to do otherwise if you're already planning to release it on PC eventually anyway. Certainly the network infrastructure and additional security risks could require some extra development time, but with the size/number of studios involved, the maturity of the battle.net framework, and the expertise they'll be able to leverage from Blizzard due to the Activision link, I have a difficult time believing Bungie couldn't easily make simultaneous release happen if they were financially motivated to do so.

Financial motivation, then, is what I would guess is more likely to be responsible for (what I suspect will be a slight) PC release delay. Consider how many consoles Destiny has been responsible for selling over the past few years, and how much money Sony and Microsoft have thrown at marketing Destiny for that purpose, and I think you'll have a better idea of why the PC release might be quietly tucked away (with a never-quite-verified release date) behind marketing for the console releases leading up to launch. It's a pattern we've seen numerous times over the past couple years with previously console-exclusive titles coming to PC. There's no marketing monster for the PC world willing to throw money at Bungie/Activision the way console manufacturers are, so this seems fairly cut-and-dry to me.

To be clear, I'm not upset and/or complaining about it, I'm just happy to be able to play Destiny on my PC at an unlocked framerate.

mcrommert

Banned
Basically unlimited money on this project but they couldn't deliver a pc port same day

Lol okay whatever you want to tell me

Ghazi

Destiny 1 only allowed same family moves. What systems are in place that allows someone to move a PS3 save to XB1 and retain gear?

I've also never seen greyed out gear and I put a decent amount of time into the game across all expansions.

If my friend has the blacksmith shader and I play on his Xbox I can equip the shader if it's his home console. When I get home and play on my console the shader is greyed out and I can't equip it because I don't have the license for the item. This is something that they would use to limit platform exclusive items from being used on other platforms.

Mikey Jr.

Maybe its a good thing for PC guys?

When the game comes out, everything will be discovered already, so you already know what is the best guns, armor, where secrets are, etc.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

When the game comes out, everything will be discovered already, so you already know what is the best guns, armor, where secrets are, etc.

That sounds the opposite of good, going in blind with everyone else is the best part of a new MMO.

Basically unlimited money on this project but they couldn't deliver a pc port same day

Lol okay whatever you want to tell me

Their engine is known for being difficult to work with. Maybe that's the issue? Could be anything but I don't think it's Sony. I mean why not delay the XB1 version if they have so much control over what activision does with the game ?

No matter what the reason, it's going to hurt the community on pc.

Tagyhag

Judging by your post history I assume this is just a dig at the PC :p

But while that obviously won't be a good thing about the delay (Unless you're one of those hardcore people that need to have the best right off the bat) like I said before, the one good thing about it is that people will know if Destiny 2 has content problems like Destiny 1 and could cancel their preorder if they want to.

tci

The PC version better be really solid if that is the case.

- Good performance
- a large range of graphics options (dx12 must have)
- Interface fully mouse controlled, not this shitty console crap that games usually have.
- FOV slider so the weapons don't hide like half the screen.

erawsd

Since this is going to be on Battlenet, I wonder if I'll be able to reactive my WoW account and use my gold to buy it.

If it was a month or less I doubt they would have even said anything now. They would see how far they can get and then if they still have to a month before launch say "hey guys PC needs a couple more weeks sorry." The way this has been handled sounds like they never intended it for launch, and I wouldn't expect it very quickly after.

Well they can't just say nothing, and maybe they don't have a solid date. I don't think they are going to pull a GTAV.

molnizzle

Since this is going to be on Battlenet, I wonder if I'll be able to reactive my WoW account and use my gold to buy it.

They confirmed that you'd be able to use your B.net balance. So if your WoW gold translates to that somehow (not sure how that works) then yes, you'll be able to do that.

Mikey Jr.

But figuring out those things yourself is half the fun.

Well, I agree, figuring out the raid would suck. Discovering is the best part.

Judging by your post history I assume this is just a dig at the PC :p

Nahh, just tell me which guns are the meta. Sometimes I like going into games late, and everyone is just like "this gun is best for this, this armor is best for this".

Man, what a disappointment this is. I wonder if there is still going to be the couple week lag time for the PC raid to open up too then. If so, it is really going to be frustrating when everyone else already has perfect strategies before we even get a whiff of the end-game.

Tagyhag

Well, I agree, figuring out the raid would suck. Discovering is the best part.

Nahh, just tell me which guns are the meta. Sometimes I like going into games late, and everyone is just like "this gun is best for this, this armor is best for this".

I agree with you on raids but I've always liked the air of not knowing about stuff with others in the community. It's the best in Souls.

TaterTots

Banned
If its only a couple of months, no biggie. The game is going to be on Battle.net. Gonna have a long, healthy life. As long as they don't b.s.

Kssio_Aug

My only issue with it is if they decide to release the game after 6 months or even later. If it takes 2 or 3 months I think it's fine, won't be a big deal and it may not affect a potential PC player base too much. If it takes too long though...

But in fact, it being released in Battle.net is actually a good thing in my opinion. Battle.net has a short range of games so Destiny will be very highlighted, and Battle.net players are there pretty much exclusively for MP games, so probably most B.net users will have interest on trying it.

We will see... I hope it's a good port. I can see myself playing it on PC if my machine be able to handle it decently, which I believe it may in low or mid settings.

erawsd

They confirmed that you'd be able to use your B.net balance. So if your WoW gold translates to that somehow (not sure how that works) then yes, you'll be able to do that.

Ah cool. Yeah, Blizzard sells tokens that you buy with gold and then redeem for either a month of playtime or $15 in Bnet funds.

Do you guys think a staggered release will impact events?

Because if PC starts 1-2 weeks late, and the raid comes a month after the console release, PC players will be at a disadvantage and week scramble to prepare.

May suck for those on PC striving for worlds first

Kssio_Aug

I don't get this decision. Spoilers will be all over the web.

If I had to guess, it's probably part of a deal with Sony, maybe to keep their player base the most intact as they can.

Otherwise, I think it's totally silly or the development may be delayed or facing some kind of issue (which I hope it's not the case).

Krayz

Thinking about it more...this benefits Sony so much, with the whole PS4-PC only cross save thing. If you were planning to get it on PC but not willing to wait, you will have to get it for the PS4 so that you can transfer your save later to the PC. Not to mention those PC players that don't have any consoles.

Zackat

Thinking about it more...this benefits Sony so much, with the whole PS4-PC only cross save thing. If you were planning to get it on PC but not willing to wait, you will have to get it for the PS4 so that you can transfer your save later to the PC. Not to mention those PC players that don't have any consoles.
This is a thing ?

You are dam right boy, if the pc version only releases in 2018 I am getting on ps 4 first then transferring to pc

Head.spawn

You are dam right boy, if the pc version only releases in 2018 I am getting on ps 4 first then transferring to pc

Is that confirmed? I'm looking on google and the only thing I'm getting is some 'gaf>internet' stuff, pointing back to a banned guy talking about 60fps.

Krayz

Is that confirmed? I'm looking on google and the only thing I'm getting is some 'gaf>internet' stuff, pointing back to a banned guy talking about 60fps.

If it is indeed true I'm guessing Sony will announce it at their E3. Seems like something to brag about.

Say what they will, releasing late is entirely about preserving their relationship with Sony/MS and preventing an immediate comparative disadvantage

FLAguy954

I'll be fine with a holidays release at the latest. Ideally a delay of a few weeks would preserve hype (and mindshare).

However, this game would do so much better day and date (as a show that they are serious about the game on PC).

FLAguy954

Bungie dosen't normally release games on PC if they want to take extra time to make sure the port is good then let them.

Many people already pointed out the negative implications of a late release such as: losing streamers to the console versions, fragmentation of content releases if it releases near or after the first expansion, launching to negative word of mouth if the game doesn't deliver on consoles, etc.

Iscariot

Bungie dosen't normally release games on PC if they want to take extra time to make sure the port is good then let them.

I think there's over 600 people who work at Bungie and Vicarious Visions was brought in to help them on D2, so what another 100-150? I think we can spare them the low expectations.

Top Bottom