• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The speculation is that something changed in the last day thats totally nuked bridges between VvD and Southampton - but the guy didn't say what it is, he also said that only one club are bidding for him, and given that it seems Liverpool are the most interested club in him, it's most likely them. At the same time VvD's, mate is tweeting photos of Anfield along with a plane emoji

So the speculation is that Southampton said VvD could go to a CL club - and Liverpool qualifying officially confirms that, so he will be more likely to come to Liverpool now.

I'm still not expecting it to happen, but it would definitely be a welcome addition to the team - its a shame that this has turned into such a big mess though, pretty shitty thing to do really

I've been sucked right back in to the dark hole of ITKs.

But nobody knows. Waiting for Tom28 to post someone else I'd guess. But his suggestion is that relationship with saints even more toxic now (corroborated by that Kevin palmer piece who does appear to have genuine sources) and that Liverpool might have quietly bid. Perhaps a verbal agreement about joining a CL club. If there was a normal release clause, can't imagine things would have gotten this messy.

Ah I see. Was kind of hoping this would have died down by now. Saints fans are really gonna hate him now.

Actually if Beefy is reading this, can someone explain exactly why the Saints fans hate Lallana so much? He played for them for 8 years and went from League One to the PL, was sold for very good money (at the time) with no protracted transfer saga that I can recall. There must be something I am missing here.

Danchi

Didn't he more focused on the wings?

He's a central forward on papers but loves roaming around both flanks.

But PSG has Neymar now, so maybe he'll be stationed on the right. Or as you said, he'll take Cavani's place.

Yeah, the usual Henry comparisons come from him being a striker who floats to the left and comes inside on his right foot, but that would put him in Neymar territory.

MikeBison

Ah I see. Was kind of hoping this would have died down by now. Saints fans are really gonna hate him now.

Actually if Beefy is reading this, can someone explain exactly why the Saints fans hate Lallana so much? He played for them for 8 years and went from League One to the PL, was sold for very good money (at the time) with no protracted transfer saga that I can recall. There must be something I am missing here.

Always wondered myself. Lovren it was obvious. But he was their captain. Put a huge shift in for them and took out an ad in their paper after he left to thank them. But saints fans are still super toxic against him.

Then again, maybe they didn't think it was a big move for him as they've spent all summer arguing that VVD moving to us is a sideways move because they are fighting for the same places in the league as us 🙄

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Any group that have RoMa inside is going to be partying lol. They are in shambles.

They ways these pots have worked out, there are going to be one or two high-profile group stage exits. I reckon it will befar more difficult than usual to win the Europa League this year.

Lashley, you have my sympathies.

Then again, maybe they didn't think it was a big move for him as they've spent all summer arguing that VVD moving to us is a sideways move because they are fighting for the same places in the league as us ��

Football fans are so fucking tribal sometimes, I at least have the common sense to know Liverpool's limitations. Funny story, one of the Liverpool fans I follow on Twitter has a running series of tweets called 'Meanwhile on Villa talk', where he posts some of the crazy opinions they have about Liverpool. Most of it was comedy gold. They had just been battling relegation and were arguing that Benteke moving to Liverpool was a sideways move.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if/when Mbappe joins PSG where does he actually play? In a 4-3-3, does he replace Cavani in the middle or does he play on the right-wing? He usually played centrally in a 4-4-2 with Falcao last season.

edit: I suppose Cavani could be pushed out wide again?

He was given a lot of freedom behind Falcao and drifted from half space to half space with Silva and Lemar creating the width. This was a big part of his game, the ability to find space. Most likely take over from Di Maria rather than Cavani who can push the line to create space in the middle.

TimmmV

I remember Lallana signing Liverpool shirts while he was with the England team and hadn't actually moved yet - that pissed off their fans. Idk what else there was that he's meant to have done though

For a club of their "stature" this pathetic behavior seems about right.

Pretty funny though

Markitron

I remember Lallana signing Liverpool shirts while he was with the England team and hadn't actually moved yet - that pissed off their fans. Idk what else there was that he's meant to have done though

I do remember that, but I thought the deal was all but done then. If they are offended enough by that to forget the 8 years of good work he did there, then they are extremely petty.

Dadasch

Apparently Dortmund is in search for a replacement for Dembele - in France. First target was Cornet, but Lyon doesn't want to part ways with him so far into the season, understandably so. Second target is Malcom from Girondins Bordeaux and he would cost them about 40mio...

Fuck Barcelona. They're literally forcing their own problem onto us by forcing Dembele to revolt. Words can't describe how much I loathe this club right now.

Makeda

I hope VvD does go to Liverpool and is a total flop. Fuck that guy

Judging by how Liverpool as a team make every defender look abymsal... it's a possibility. Unless hes a great Centre Forward in disguise.

Apparently Dortmund is in search for a replacement for Dembele - in France. Second target is Malcom from Girondins Bordeaux and he would cost them about 40mil

Not ideal but if he ends up being even half as good as he is in this year's Football Manager (by 2020's emerges into one of the world's best wingers) that would be money well spent.

Danchi

He was given a lot of freedom behind Falcao and drifted from half space to half space with Silva and Lemar creating the width. This was a big part of his game, the ability to find space. Most likely take over from Di Maria rather than Cavani who can push the line to create space in the middle.

Thanks, man. I moved last year and don't get to watch a lot of football anymore because of the time difference.

I probably picked up the Henry comparison from some lazy write-up. "Ah, he's a French striker from Monaco. He must be like Henry!"

Markitron

Fuck Barcelona. They're literally forcing their own problem onto us by forcing Dembele to revolt. Words can't describe how much I loathe this club right now.

Their hubris in thinking that Neymar would never leave has caused drama across Europe, what with all that money being available so late in the window. Hopefully Dortmund tell them to go and fornicate themselves with a rusty iron bar, just like Liverpool did.

So what is everyone hoping for their favourite team?.

If I had to choose it would be:

Monaco
Dortmund
Liverpool
Apoel.

IMO that would be a fucking great group, those 3 bigger teams are all extremely entertaining and relatively evenly matched.

Makeda

So what is everyone hoping for their favourite team?

Hoping for:

Benfica
Barça
Liverpool
Maribor

Pot 2 is a kick in the teeth, but I'd prefer to play Barça early, hopefully have Coutinho score agaisnt them to boot.
Would rather have somewhat easier teams (outside of Barça) so that in the likely event that we don't come first, should at least proceed to the knockout stage.

This draw would also mean I get to skip 4 games at stupid 2/3:45am kickoffs!

TimmmV

Apparently Dortmund is in search for a replacement for Dembele - in France. First target was Cornet, but Lyon doesn't want to part ways with him so far into the season, understandably so. Second target is Malcom from Girondins Bordeaux and he would cost them about 40mio...

Yep

Like, I have no real problems with Barca trying to get players - every team does that. But their tactics are always to initally low ball, and if that gets rejected to just be happy to do their best to fuck up the other teams season.

At this moment in time I would genuinely rather sell Coutinho to PSG or someone for less money than Barca are offering*, fuck them and their dirty tactics

*Obviously within reason

For a club of their "stature" this pathetic behavior seems about right.

That was always dumb, Firmino had proven himself a good player in the Bundesliga. Mane was the one where the mockery was (initally) justified. Mental to think how gutted loads of fans were at missing out on Götze and getting him instead now

NHale

I still think in the end VVD will end up with Liverpool and Coutinho will end up with Barcelona for a massive deal.

In the last day of transfer window Barça will be so pressured to make deals that they will go into major debt if they need to just to secure the players they promised their fans they will get. Also they have to acquire players to guarantee that Messi doesn't bolt for free next summer.

Markitron

I remembered Liverpool being laughed at for paying £29 million for Firmino. In today's football climate, it's a bargain

Yea, IIRC we also wanted Depay, but went for Bobby when Depay went to United. Much like the Poborski/Berger situation, it worked out well for us, as Berger is and always will be the greatest player of all time ever.

At this moment in time I would genuinely rather sell Coutinho to PSG or someone for less money than Barca are offering*, fuck them and their dirty tactics

*Obviously within reason

Agree, in a perfect world he stays the year then we sell him to PSG for 100m + Draxler. That would be real nice.

I still think in the end VVD will end up with Liverpool and Coutinho will end up with Barcelona for a massive deal.

In the last day of transfer window Barça will be so pressured to make deals that they will go into major debt if they need to just to secure the players they promised their fans they will get. Also they have to acquire players to guarantee that Messi doesn't bolt for free next summer.

The problem with Barca is that they have galvanised a number of teams into opposing them with their extra-shitty arrogance this summer. Liverpool and Dortmund will go out of their way to piss them off now.

Meadows

Banned
Yea, IIRC we also wanted Depay, but went for Bobby when Depay went to United. Much like the Poborski/Berger situation, it worked out well for us, as Berger is and always will be the greatest player of all time ever.

Agree, in a perfect world he stays the year then we sell him to PSG for 100m + Draxler. That would be real nice.

I still think Depay would have worked out at Liverpool. United hung him out to dry.

Sporting, spartak, sevilla, basel

Honestly, it's Rennes that should be annoyed. Dortmund did zero for him. He was already as good as he is today and was sold cheap last year. After one year he receives a 8-10x evaluation? This shit really rubs me the wrong way. This is football-colonialism practiced by big countries. Spain, Germany, England, etc. Fuck all of them and fuck uefa for not protecting the clubs who spends millions developing youth only to get fucked like this by big clubs.

Markitron

I still think Depay would have worked out at Liverpool. United hung him out to dry.

I really can't say as I don't know much about him. IMO Bobby would have flopped under Rodgers, as Brendan didn't see his biggest attributes and stuck him on the wing. Who knows how Depay would have done.

Sporting, spartak, sevilla, basel

The Group of Life

MikeBison

They're already in massive debt. Most of that Neymar money got sucked up by Tax. They don't have the money to by Coutinho and Dembele. Especially not up front. Hence the piss take payment structure of their bids.

Dadasch

Their hubris in thinking that Neymar would never leave has caused drama across Europe, what with all that money being available so late in the window. Hopefully Dortmund tell them to go and fornicate themselves with a rusty iron bar, just like Liverpool did.
Dortmund tries to do that, but on the oher hand you just don't know how the season will go with Dembele. You don't know how the fans will react; you don't know how the media will react after bad games ("Dembele wants to leave" and such); you don't know how Dembele will react - as a 20yo obviously without any whiff of maturity.
This is a very shitty situation.

Markitron

They're already in massive debt. Most of that Neymar money got sucked up by Tax. They don't have the money to by Coutinho and Dembele. Especially not up front. Hence the piss take payment structure of their bids.

If they wanted Phil so bad we could have gotten really creative with our requests, such as having first dibs on all of their youth players for the next 20 years, or having them rename the Camp Nou to 'The Duncan Ferguson was actually pretty shit, that's why no big teams were ever interested in him Arena'

Dortmund tries to do that, but on the oher hand you just don't know how the season will go with Dembele. You don't know how the fans will react; you don't know how the media will react after bad games ("Dembele wants to leave" and such); you don't know how Dembele will react - as a 20yo obviously without any whiff of maturity.
This is a very shitty situation.

He will have to perform in a world cup year, the important thing is that Barca don't get what they want.

TimmmV

I really can't say as I don't know much about him. IMO Bobby would have flopped under Rodgers, as Brendan didn't see his biggest attributes and stuck him on the wing. Who knows how Depay would have done.

Firmino was another player who suffered from Brendan's arrogance and natural disinclination to use committee players instead of ones he wanted

I also thought Depay looked like he'd be ace, remember being pretty jealous when United ended up getting him - obviously am glad that in the end that turned out to be wrong!

Dadasch

Honestly, it's Rennes that should be annoyed. Dortmund did zero for him. He was already as good as he is today and was sold cheap last year. After obe year he receives a 8-10x evaluation? Sounds shitty and disproportionate.
You can't measure it like this.
He proved himself capable in
1. a better national league,
2. the CL and
3. in a better team.

That's how it works. He was a talent at a considerably weaker club and now even bigger clubs are after him.
btw: Stade Rennes will get another 20mio after a potential transfer.

Dadasch, they get 20 million cause there was some sanity in keeping a percentage of his economic rights. The protection should come from the top and well regulated. The solidarity contribution is a massive joke. Clubs that develop youth should have perpetually some kind of high percentage birds rights so stop this non-sense of big clubs distributing money over them.

Dembele was a huge player in Rennes. I could have advised Barcelona to buy him. He didnt need to go Dortmund. To say he proved himself capable is disingenuous. To say there is some ladder needed to be climbed is only defending a rigid status quo that crystallizes football around a bunch of teams. What if he fails at barcelona?

Dadasch

Dadasch, they get 20 million cause there was some sanity in keeping a percentage of his economic rights. The protection should come from the top and well regulated. The solidarity contribution is a massive joke. Clubs that develop youth should have perpetually some kind of high percentage bird rights so stop this non-sense of big clubs distributing money over them.

Dembele was a huge player in Rennes. I could have advised Barcelona to buy him. He didnt need to go Dortmund. To say he proved himself capable is disingenuous. What if he fails at barcelona?
How is it disingenious?
Did he play before that in the CL, where the biggest clubs clash against each other? No, he didn't, because Stade Rennes doesn't play there. In order to prove yourself you have to play against better opponents.
He could fail at Barcelona, absolutely, I'm not denying that. Thing is he has 4 years of contract and we don't want to sell him after only a year. So we are absolutely aware that he isn't worth this money - everybody knows that. Consider it as a big "fuck off", but Barca forces their problem onto us in response.

DBT85

So nobody cares at all about that league cup draw then? Leicester v Liverpool, WBA v City, and United against the mighty Burton Albion.

West Bromwich Albion v Manchester City

Everton v Sunderland

Leicester City v Liverpool

Manchester United v Burton Albion

Brentford v Norwich City

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Bristol Rovers

Burnley v Leeds United

Arsenal v Doncaster Rovers

Bristol City v Stoke City

Reading v Swansea City

Aston Villa v Middlesbrough

Chelsea v Nottingham Forest

West Ham United v Bolton Wanderers

Crystal Palace v Huddersfield Town

Tottenham Hotspur v Barnsley Or Derby County

Bournemouth v Brighton & Hove Albion

caramac

And Mane. And Henderson. And Lallana. They all seem great value now.

Let's not talk about Carroll or Benteke.

Maybe at tad unfair to lump Benteke in with Carroll there, he wasn't suited for us but he seems a decent pro and l think we got back around what we paid.

How is it disingenious?
Did he play before that in the CL, where the biggest clubs clash against each other? No, he didn't, because Stade Rennes doesn't play there. In order to prove yourself you have to play against better opponents.

You are massively overrating whatever he (or Dortmund) did in CL last year. Dortmund last year played against Real Madrid, a team whose level he might not have played against if he stayed at Rennes, but in the group stage. Sporting, benfica, legia, monaco, all teams that the french league has equivalent talent-wise. It's not like Dortmund was defeating teams that were heavily-favorites.

Dadasch

You are massively overrating whatever he (or Dortmund) did in CL last year. Dortmund last year played against Real Madrid, a team whose level he might not have played against if he stayed at Rennes, but in the group stage. Sporting, benfica, legia, monaco, all teams that the french league has equivalent talent-wise. It's not like Dortmund was defeating teams that were heavily-favorites. That's what Monaco did for instance.
On the contrary - you are downplaying a team, which participated under the 8 Best Clubs of the season 2016/17 (for many years actually) and understate the importance of the CL. That's disingenious.

Markitron

Maybe a little. It was silly to spend that on a player clearly unsuited to the style of football.

That was the weirdest part about that transfer, pretty much every LFC fan could see it was a bad fit the second we started being linked with him. Rodgers made stranger and stranger decisions as time went on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom