• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember people laughing at the 50M Chelsea paid for Torres. What a bargain that was if you think about it now.

Worth every penny. All those trophies he got us.

chelsea039s-fernando-torres-shoots-score-past-barcelona039s-goalkeeper-victor-valdes-during.jpg

This goal was worth 50 million alone.

Pachimari

And Cristiano is gonna win another Best award. I'm gonna enjoy this.

Might as well watch yesterday's Trofeo Bernabeu match since I missed it.

TimmmV

That was the weirdest part about that transfer, pretty much every LFC fan could see it was a bad fit the second we started being linked with him. Rodgers made stranger and stranger decisions as time went on.

Yep. It happens a lot where a team buy a single player who offers something slightly different (usually being tall and able to head the ball), and suddenly think that will miraculously solve a load of problems by itself

I have a feeling that will happen if we do end up getting VvD. The moment we concede a single headed goal (which will happen), people will start getting like "I thought he was supposed to stop this!", and completely ignoring that one player suddenly doesn't change the entire makeup of a team

I'm pretty certain Rodgers didn't want him.

I thought he was one of the signings Rodgers pushed for?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Maybe he did want Benteke then? It's very strange through, he should be the person in the best position to know it wouldn't work.

He made a number of strange decisions in his last 15 months as manager, that travesty of a squad at the Berneneu for example. He often played players out of position as well, something which he was also known for during his time at Reading.

CrayToes

All of the noises coming out of the club at the time very much suggested that Bentenke was 100% Rodgers number 1 target. I firmly believe it's what got him fired, too.

Beefy

Have to take it with a pinch of salt, but tom-itk seems to think something more has happened behind the scenes this week to cause them to u-turn. Relationship got even more toxic.

Tom 28 isn't the best guy to call ITK. Now if a dude called Billysupersound ( or some shit like that, yeah I know the name is weird) says it I would believe it 100%. Will see though,.

Beefy

Ah I see. Was kind of hoping this would have died down by now. Saints fans are really gonna hate him now.

Actually if Beefy is reading this, can someone explain exactly why the Saints fans hate Lallana so much? He played for them for 8 years and went from League One to the PL, was sold for very good money (at the time) with no protracted transfer saga that I can recall. There must be something I am missing here.

Signed a new contract and told the fans he could see himself playing for Saints for his whole career. 5 weeks later asks to leave to join Liverpool. When he is at first rejected he started to leak false info to a journo friend, trying to make out Saints were run badly and he was treated like shit. How the club lied to the fans etc.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Signed a new contract and told the fans he could see himself playing for Saints for his whole career. 5 weeks later asks to leave to join Liverpool. When he is at first rejected he started to leak false info to a journo friend, trying to make out Saints were run badly and he was treated like shit. How the club lied to the fans etc.

I can see why that would rub fans the wrong way, but still he was there 8 years and won promotion twice. Can you really blame him for wanting to play in the Champions League after working his way up like that?

come on

don't make me put /s behind my posts

Carroll was a disaster, but at least we got the guts of 20m back for him (when you consider the loan fee and whatever wages West Ham covered during his loan). Torres was a Titanic disaster. Even his most famous goal came in the last minute of a game Chelsea were already winning.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I remember when people laughed at Thierry Henry's 11m fee

What a bargain now when you look at the current climate

Beefy

I can see why that would rub fans the wrong way, but still he was there 8 years and won promotion twice. Can you really blame him for wanting to play in the Champions League after working his way up like that?

I have no problem with players going, it's how they go that annoys me a lil. I had no problem with Mane going as he didn't kick up shit,but Lallana, Lovren and Van Dijk have acted like twats to force a move. It's just weird how nearly all the transfers to Liverpool happen this way.

Carroll was a disaster, but at least we got the guts of 20m back for him (when you consider the loan fee and whatever wages West Ham covered during his loan). Torres was a Titanic disaster. Even his most famous goal came in the last minute of a game Chelsea were already winning.

He also assisted the 0-2 at Anfield to Willian. And gave us this amazing gif.

torres-miss-edited.gif

If you ask me more than worth the £50M.

Markitron

I have no problem with players going, it's how they go that annoys me a lil. I had no problem with Mane going as he didn't kick up shit,but Lallana, Lovren and Van Dijk have acted like twats to force a move. It's just weird how nearly all the transfers to Liverpool happen this way.

Again, I understand and agree, I just can't personally see how what Lallana did justifies half of St Mary's signing 'Adam Lallana we fucking hate you' every 10 mins during Liv/Sou games. It's a level of vitriol I have rarely seen in the game. In this particular case the punishment doesn't fit the crime IMO.

Beefy

Again, I understand and agree, I just can't personally see how what Lallana did justifies half of St Mary's signing 'Adam Lallana we fucking hate you' every 10 mins during Liv/Sou games. It's a level of vitriol I have rarely seen in the game. In this particular case the punishment doesn't fit the crime IMO.

It's football fans, 50% are cavemen who take football to serious. Another 30% are sheep that follow whatever the cavemen do.

Markitron

I'm pretty sure I belong to the caveman group.

Have you ever wildly gesticulated the wanker signal to an 18 year old player on the opposition team?

If not, then you are not a part of the group.

Correct. Rodgers wanted Benteke and Depay. He didn't want Firmino.

This makes me wish Liverpool would re-hire him, just to fire him replace him with Klopp again. I'm sure Spurs fans will know all about it soon enough after Poch fucks off to PSG or Barca.

Have you ever wildly gesticulated the wanker signal to an 18 year old player on the opposition team?

This makes me wish Liverpool would re-hire him, just to fire him replace him with Klopp again. I'm sure Spurs fans will know all about it soon enough after Poch fucks off to PSG or Barca.

We don't really use the wanker signal here in Belgium. People mostly just whistle or call names.

TimmmV

I definitely turned into a bit of a caveman fan at the Chelsea game at Anfield last season - Costa and Hazards diving really worked to get everyone in the stadium pissed off with them

After the game I actually felt a bit ashamed :lol

Didn't do any wanker signs but definitely shouted a few things Costas way

I definitely turned into a bit of a caveman fan at the Chelsea game at Anfield last season - Costa and Hazards diving really worked to get everyone in the stadium pissed off with them

After the game I actually felt a bit ashamed :lol

Didn't do any wanker signs but definitely shouted a few things Costas way

This is the main reason I want Diego back.

That Ramires goal agaisnt Barca is so strange to look back at. Such fucking composure, for a player that never came close to showing anything like that, in front of goal again. So calmly tipped over Valdes, what a goal, and in the most important situations to do that in.

What a game that was. Messi missing that penalty was amazing.

Zlatan just said hes back at Utd

Oh dear. Was really hoping we could ignore his PR created shit memes.

Freezing him out like that is madness. I like Morata, but replacing Costa with him is a huge gamble. I haven't seen anything that suggests he is on Costa's level.

Considering Costa's stability I think it's probably the right decision, as much as I love him. I want Costa to stay, and I love how upset he makes everyone on top of being a quality forward. But he seems to throw a fit at least once a season, wanting to leave... He is no doubt a bit of a fucking nightmare for a manager that wants to create a strong unit of a team, when he pulls that shit. Don't forget he also comes home actually fat from holidays, and also quite openly provoked Mourinho during his last season. Conte can't have that.

10 years ago I was watching Costa Rica v Japan in the U20 WC, and a Costa Rican player made this excellent dribble up the right. Pace, moves - one of those moments where you do everything better and faster than the defenders. Then he gets close to the corner flag and whips in the most pathetic cross I have seen to no one at all; Japan had Costa Rica hemmed in so effectively that none of his teammates had bothered to move out of their own half.

The contrast between the stunning quality of his run, and the stunning lack of quality of his cross, and that no one his team bothered to support him at all caused me to let out this loud cackle. That upset a nearby fan who accused me of being, basically, a caveman picking on an 18 y/o.

But it really was funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom