• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim E3 Information Recap Thread [Update: Romances~~~~]

voltron

CoffeeJanitor said:
I've always thought that this is a dumb thing to advertise. What if those 60,000 lines suck?

Completely agree. Every game seems to proudly boast a similar stat these days.

"120 million lines of dialogue recorded!"

who gives a fuck.

Tobor said:
Your standards of what a 360 game should look like are unreasonably high.
My standards are for what the PC version should look like. If past games are anything to go by, Bethesda don't put the extra bells and whistles on their games for PC like they should do.

I'm okay with the 360 version looking like that, because it has to, but it annoys me that the PC version probably won't be much better.

voltron

Its totally fair enough for PC gamers to complain about graphics. Especially when whats holding it back is 6yr old console hardware.

Annoys the shit outta me too and Im not even a PC gamer. We really need new hardware.

That said, Im happy with how Skyrim looks. Need this game yesterday.

I am hyped for Skyrim. Big time. I love a lot of these changes, and who cares about the other changes? Modding community will fix those problems! (It's a shame Bethesda is let off the hook that way, but it's still true.)

Cheech

Assuming this game is Steamworks, that's more than enough reason to get this game on PC. More frequent and meatier patches are key with Bethesda titles. Also, PC will enable it to run smoother and in a native higher res, which will dramatically improve how the game looks.

This is a new Elder Scrolls game. This is not the time to be a graphics whore.

ajb1888

Banned
Never had Oblivion long enough to get into it, but this game intrigues me. Looking forward to E3 coverage, though so far Skyrim looks like it could keep me preoccupied for months lol!

ced

Let's bitch about mammoth hair and rock textures and completely ignore that badass fog on the mountain. I'll take details like that over high res textures.

ced said:
Let's bitch about mammoth hair and rock textures and completely ignore that badass fog on the mountain. I'll take details like that over high res textures.

Seriously.

Game looks better in motion anyway, as we've all seen from the gameplay trailer.

bengraven

I know I may be in a minority, but I love how grungy everything looks. The hair on the mammoths, wolves, and heroes I've seen so far looks greasy and tangled. The weapons look rusty, cracked, gritty. The towns looked settled and overgrown.

Fucking great in my opinion!

Blue Ninja said:
There are also new screenshots described, though I haven't seen them for myself yet. These include a battle with a Draugr, a campsite near a river, a new type of fire spell, a female human character walking towards a city, a close-up of a female (possibly Imperial) warrior, a guard in Legionnaire armor and a bearded Nord in a castle, armed with a warhammer.

I want to see these to make sure our bar wench wasn't a freak, accidental hottie.

Salaadin

Darklord said:
I'm a PC gamer and I think skyrim looks amazing.
Me too. Im buying it day one for PC and will love the hell out of it. And Ill love it even more when the modders make it look even better.

wit3tyg3r

DennisK4 said:
The only thing embarrassing here are the graphics and the apologists.

Damn, Dennis. Do you not read ANYTHING I tell you? So far, in every single thread related to Skyrim, you've been complaining and bitching about the graphics. And I agree that they aren't super high-quality like other PC-exclusive RPGs, but I explain everything every single time, but it's like you just don't read. Read my posts carefully. You just don't seem to understand anything about developing games.

And here, I'll help. Here is my long explanation about why Skyrim can't look like Witcher 2:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28117060&postcount=973

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's gonna be good, Dennis is well intentioned. It will look more crisp on PC but the bar has been raised for a while and this one looks good but not great. The art and character/creature design is looking great too. Not sure if this is a day 1 but if it is, it will be on PC.

And to me, there's no excusing a big pub like Bathesda for NOT investing more in the visuals. I guess they are strapped for cash.

bengraven

wit3tyg3r said:
Damn, Dennis. Do you not read ANYTHING I tell you? So far, in every single thread related to Skyrim, you've been complaining and bitching about the graphics. And I agree that they aren't super high-quality like other PC-exclusive RPGs, but I explain everything every single time, but it's like you just don't read. Read my posts carefully. You just don't seem to understand anything about developing games.

And here, I'll help. Here is my long explanation about why Skyrim can't look like Witcher 2:

Bro, be careful. haha

wit3tyg3r said:

He's not listening because you post a load of bethesda fanwank.

bengraven said:
Bro, be careful. haha
AWwHp.gif

I'm staying out of it. I'll just keep you well-fed with information, and watch from the sidelines as you devour eachother. When the dust settles, I'll go play Skyrim. :lol

wit3tyg3r

fizzelopeguss said:
He's not listening because you post a load of bethesda fanwank.

It's not a load of Bethesda Fanwank. It's technical limitations of the 360 for an open world game as large as TES. I'm not hating on other RPGs or developers. In fact, I love games like Witcher 2 and Risen and all the other games that Dennis has been mentioning. I'm just saying that Bethesda just can't graphically do what CD Projekt does because they are developing multiplatform and a very large-scale world.

Kyaw

wit3tyg3r said:

Oh yeah, i remember and understood this post.

Imagine if Skyrim is PC exclusive...

Jarmel

Banned
It's like none of you have played Bethesda games before. There are reasons why their graphics aren't topnotch.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
TES is a series that I want functional graphics. Daggerfall didn't wow with the graphics. Morrowind had a great art direction, but not top-tier graphics for its time. Oblivion was the first entry where they tried to pump up the visuals....to the detriment to the gameplay (IMO- they may not be totally related).

In any event, the graphics could look a hell of a lot better if they were on a PC. The Witcher 2 is not exactly open-world, but its individual levels are large enough and the developmental mindset is so well done (from a PC gamers perspective) that it's hard to not compare the two. If you have a bitchin' PC, of course you'd want Skyrim to be developed for it first. After all, PC gamers MADE Bethesda. They wouldn't exist without us.

On the other hand, the game looks perfectly fine to me. I'd much, much, much, rather them worry about fixing the actual gameplay than worry about the mammoth hair count. Yeah, the game will miss things like real changing weather and actual open world cities (this is the most egregious thing about using 6-year old hardware as lead development system). But if they get the rest of it right, then that stuff can be forgiven.

Besides, it's not as if the PC Master Race won't have access to mods to fix most of that visual stuff within weeks of release.

Graphics will look fine on PC.

You can probably tweak it again like oblivion and fallout3 to increase the draw distance further than the max.

bengraven

Blue Ninja said:
AWwHp.gif

I'm staying out of it. I'll just keep you well-fed with information, and watch from the sidelines as you devour eachother. When the dust settles, I'll go play Skyrim. :lol

It's going to be one-sided though. It will be Dennis in the corner, hovering over a blood splattered corpse, entrails dangling from his jaws.

The kid is giving the most apologistic attitudes I've seen in a long time and this is coming from a Bethesda apologist.

The "it's an open world, so the graphics can't be better" argument is folly, folly...

wit3tyg3r

WanderingWind said:
TES is a series that I want functional graphics.

I, too, would love to have really amazing graphics with Skyrim. I mean, it would just add to the immersive value of a game that's supposed to be completely immersive like TES. Todd Howard even mentioned that he was hesitant to develop Skyrim for this generation... He wanted to wait for a refresh. But they gave in to demand and decided to develop it for this generation. I honestly wouldn't mind if they waited for next generation. It would 1) allow me time to finish all the other games that I have to finish, and 2) allow them to develop Skyrim with amazing graphics on par with modern PC-exclusive games like The Witcher 2. So Bethesda maybe should have just waited until next-gen (We're on the verge of a new console line anyways...Nintendo with Project Cafe and Microsoft with.....well they announced that they need to hire for a new console so that was a hint), but most of us in here are probably dying to play Skyrim, so Bethesda is giving it to us this generation.

bengraven said:
The "it's an open world, so the graphics can't be better" argument is folly, folly...

The point of my argument is not that it's too open to look good. The point is that the PS360 is not allowing Bethesda to develop an open world game of that scale AND look amazing at the same time.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
voltron said:
Its totally fair enough for PC gamers to complain about graphics. Especially when whats holding it back is 6yr old console hardware.

Annoys the shit outta me too and Im not even a PC gamer. We really need new hardware.
Why bother? Todays graphics don't need to be surpased anymore. A couple of developers have already stated that this is the first generation in VG-history where they aren't limited by hardware anymore to realize their ideas.

I'd rather say we leave this gen a couple more years and let the developers focus on the contant rather than the graphics. Like better textures and more shaders will make the games better... It just makes developing more expensive.

bengraven said:
It's going to be one-sided though. It will be Dennis in the corner, hovering over a blood splattered corpse, entrails dangling from his jaws.

The kid is giving the most apologistic attitudes I've seen in a long time and this is coming from a Bethesda apologist.
Games developed with the PC as a lead platform will undoubtedly look better on PC. Games developed on the 360 first will, as a rule, not look as good. Bethesda's getting most of their money from consoles, so I can see the reasoning behind it. The Master Race ban bitch all they want, but from a purely economical standpoint it makes little sense to spend extra development time on creating high-res textures and everything for the PC-version, unless they decide to delay it by another six months. And who would be the first to come bitching about that? Call me an apologist, but you can't deny there's some reasoning behind it.

I won't deny that Skyrim could look better, and that this will presumably be especially true on the PC (of which we've seen no footage yet, remember). As long as they're sticking enough content in there to kill a mammoth with, the console peasant in me doesn't care.

And now I got myself involved anyways, dammit.

Tobor

Blue Ninja said:
Games developed with the PC as a lead platform will undoubtedly look better on PC. Games developed on the 360 first will, as a rule, not look as good. Bethesda's getting most of their money from consoles, so I can see the reasoning behind it. The Master Race ban bitch all they want, but from a purely economical standpoint it makes little sense to spend extra development time on creating high-res textures and everything for the PC-version, unless they decide to delay it by another six months. And who would be the first to come bitching about that? Call me an apologist, but you can't deny there's some reason behind it.

And now I got myself involved anyways, dammit.
Exactly. What's the lead sku? End of story.

wit3tyg3r

Okay, just a little deviation from this battle, G4TV has announced their E3 live coverage schedule. Todd Howard will be doing a live demo on G4TV on Tuesday at 4:00pm EST. I think Gametrailers is doing it on Monday (but I don't know what time) and, as previously mentioned somewhere in this thread, IGN will be doing it on Wednesday at.....12:45pm PST....I think.

Well, to be more precise, A lot of devs are showing their games off at 4:00, so I don't know when Skyrim will be, exactly, but it will be somewhere around there.

wit3tyg3r said:
Okay, just a little deviation from this battle, G4TV has announced their E3 live coverage schedule. Todd Howard will be doing a live demo on G4TV on Tuesday at 4:00pm EST. I think Gametrailers is doing it on Monday (but I don't know what time) and, as previously mentioned somewhere in this thread, IGN will be doing it on Wednesday at.....12:45pm PST....I think.
GameTrailer's live demo is right after the Microsoft Press Briefing, at 7pm GMT. IGN's is on Wednesday, at 12:40pm PST (08:40pm GMT)

TheExorzist said:
Why bother? Todays graphics don't need to be surpased anymore. A couple of developers have already stated that this is the first generation in VG-history where they aren't limited by hardware anymore to realize their ideas.
How many games are sub-720p and not even 30fps?

Exactly.

bengraven

Honestly, I like graphics as they are these days. I really don't need more in the graphical department, especially at a loss of performance.

That's what fan-made texture packs are for.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
bengraven said:
That's what fan-made texture packs are for.

Yeeeah I'm gonna go ahead and say that the hard work of regular people contributing free mods should be a bonus rather than a necessity for any AAA game.

bengraven

Corky said:
Yeeeah I'm gonna go ahead and say that the hard work of regular people contributing free mods should be a bonus rather than a necessity for any AAA game.

I'm not giving the developers an out. I just don't really care about graphics anymore. I mean...I play Minecraft.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I definitely dig more realistic approach. The guy looks good, like somebody from The Witcher universe.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
bengraven said:
I'm not giving the developers an out. I just don't really care about graphics anymore. I mean...I play Minecraft.

The reason you play minecraft ( in the sense that you think it doesn't look bad per se, disregarding gameplay ) is the same reason anyone can play any game, retro or modern with good enough art direction or style or what have you without being bothered by the visuals. I'll play SOTN when I'm 100 years old and think it's still as beautiful as it was the first time I tried it.

I understand about not caring about graphics anymore since devs can only do soo much with hardware as old as this, which is why it irks me when they're trying to be overly ambitious since it'll invariably end in compromises upon compromises made.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Playing Honest Hearts, I've found I'm still quite fond of Fallout 3 and New Vegas' visuals. That might just be the console gamer in me talking but I still love it.

Oblivion not so much. I can enjoy everything there except the hideously mutated people walking around.

Top Bottom