• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim E3 Information Recap Thread [Update: Romances~~~~]

Dennis

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I like that all of the foliage so far has been shorter and more sparse than in Oblivion, which makes things easier to see and appears to enable longer draw distances for it.
Thats all negative as far as I am concerned.

I hope the PC version has a foliage slider that can be turned up reeeaaal high.

For an example of how to do RPG foliage look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZRwEFpr3KQ

Lakitu

st5fu
The Lamonster said:
yeah, the graphics don't really look that hot but I really don't care. This game will rule all.

It's a significant jump over Oblivion. That's good enough for me.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Kyaw said:
It looks terribad, i'm afraid. Two Worlds II looks better.

Aside from the disgusting gameplay and animations, how did Two Worlds II look on consoles?

3N16MA said:
I want to ride dragons and burn woolly mammoths.
i want to hunt Mammoths while riding a Dragon. Or hunt Dragons while riding a Mammoth.

At the very least, I want to see giants riding mammoths. :lol

Leucrota

I will be all over this game for the rest of my life.

Also, I plan on stealing EVERYTHING in this game, as I did in Morrowind

PS Pants thoroughly drenched

GreekWolf

Stahsky said:
Aside from the disgusting gameplay and animations, how did Two Worlds II look on consoles?
Pretty amazing, if you implement the console commands (remove fog, blur, increase AA) on the 360 version. I think the PS3's CC is gimped to an extent.

Skyrim looks fairly impressive for an open world console game, but I'm sure the increased resolution and additional effects on PC will make it a stunner.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Looks amazing. GOTY will be a tough one.

Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, and who knows how many others.

wit3tyg3r

Blue Ninja said:
WFPCf.jpg

I want to trample hordes of enemies while riding one of those things! Yeah, they don't look super amazing, but I prefer good open world RPG content over graphics, although good graphics are always a plus.

Vire

Graphics look kinda bad...

Hmm, seemed better in other shots so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

NBtoaster

Van Buren said:
With the dragons randomly appearing, could we encounter never-ending ranks of dragons ? Without a degree of permanence, the spectacle associated with fighting dragons is liable to become a farce, to be honest.

Hopefully the PC version will see a mod that populates the world with a set number.

At this point they sound like Skyrim's version of Oblivion gates. Perhaps like gates there will be a limited amount you can fight, in pre set but randomly chosen locations.

Why are Bethesda's captures so fuzzy?

wit3tyg3r

Vire said:
Graphics look kinda bad...

Hmm, seemed better in other shots so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

I've talked about this in a previous Skyrim thread, but in a nutshell: A game as large as any TES game requires a large amount of polygons on the 3D modeling aspect. Not only is there the weapons and armor and characters to render, but Bethesda has to put things like forks and bowls and lots of other finely detailed object because the game is so open. On top of that, there is streamlined environments, so there is no break unless you are entering a city or building. With technology as old as the PS360, Bethesda is limited on how many polys they can render on screen at once. I hear people continuously comparing Witcher 2 to Skyrim, but honestly, Witcher 2 right now is PC only, so the developers can design the game to render many more polys since gaming PCs tend to have newer and more powerful GPU's. But when you develop for the PS360 and PC, something as large and open and detailed as the Elder Scrolls games can only look as good as the lowest common denominator (which is the PS360). So you can't really compare the graphics of Witcher 2 to Skyrim since they are different platforms and different scale.

GhaleonEB

DennisK4 said:
Thats all negative as far as I am concerned.
I hated killing someone in Oblivion and having their weapon get lost in the tall grass. Especially when the area was sloped, I'd lose items as they'd tumble down a hillside and I couldn't find it again due to the grass. It happened all the time. I want to to be pretty, but also not interfere with my ability to find shit on the ground.

For that reason I actively wished Oblivion's grass was thinner or shorter, and am glad to see Skyrim's be so.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
SalsaShark said:
i wonder how the Dragon "spawn rate" will be handled

they keep mentioning how they appear randomly and unscripted as the big feature of the game

"oh i arrived at a town, time to loot some houses, lets see whats in this on--" MOTHERFUCKING DRAGON INSIDE OF IT

There has to be at least one abandoned house with a dragon in it. Perhaps even some old place a Hermit occupies with his pet dragon, a la How to Train Your Dragon.

You can do it, Bethesda.

Saige

I must do better.
GhaleonEB said:
I hated killing someone in Oblivion and having their weapon get lost in the tall grass. Especially when the area was sloped, I'd lose items as they'd tumble down a hillside and I couldn't find it again due to the grass. It happened all the time. I want to to be pretty, but also not interfere with my ability to find shit on the ground.

For that reason I actively wished Oblivion's grass was thinner or shorter, and am glad to see Skyrim's be so.
Instead of making the grass and foliage worse, why not just make looting like it was in the fallout games where if you loot even a piece of someone, you have access to their entire inventory including any weapons that went flying away?

GhaleonEB

Saige said:
Instead of making the grass and foliage worse, why not just make looting like it was in the fallout games where if you loot even a piece of someone, you have access to their entire inventory including any weapons that went flying away?
That would work also. But as I said before, I am happy to accept the trade off of lower density for longer draw distance, which I find more objectionable. Having a field paint out right in front of me in Oblivion took a great deal away from it.
Saige said:
Fair enough. I was thinking more on the pc side, but for consoles I would trade foliage density for a better draw distance if it came down to that.
Yeah, PC should have both with ease.

Saige

I must do better.
GhaleonEB said:
That would work also. But as I said before, I am happy to accept the trade off of lower density for longer draw distance, which I find more objectionable. Having a field paint out right in front of me in Oblivion took a great deal away from it.
Fair enough. I was thinking more on the pc side, but for consoles I would trade foliage density for a better draw distance if it came down to that.

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Fallout 3/NV graphics to me. I'm starting to think their "new" engine is not really that new at all but I'll keep my mind open til we see better in-game footage.

Dead Man

isoku said:
Looks like Fallout 3/NV graphics to me. I'm starting to think their "new" engine is not really that new at all but I'll keep my mind open til we see better in-game footage.
That's because it is that engine with tweaks, apparently.

Chris_C

onken said:
I used to hate them until I realised you could just run past everybody, grab the sigil stone and warp the fuck out of there.

Really? I might try that, I love Oblivion but ignore the main quest because those Oblivion gate places creep the hell out of me and just depress me no end. If I can do a quick smash and grab, all the better.

Monocle

The Elder Scrolls series has never been about graphics for me. I'm in it for the open world gameplay and interesting lore. I find it weird that people are complaining about how Skyrim looks. The art style is a gigantic improvement over Oblivion's. The way some of the people in this thread are talking, you'd think they expected graphics on par with The Witcher 2's. Be realistic.

Dead Man

NBtoaster said:
According to what?
According to the previous thread. It is not just a couple tweaks, of course, but the impression I got was that it was an overhauled remaking of that engine.

Top Bottom