• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim E3 Information Recap Thread [Update: Romances~~~~]

Dennis

Banned
Dead Man said:
Sounds great.

Get over it, you are getting stale.
Low-standards people like you are whats wrong with gaming.

There is no reason whatsoever not to hold games up against the best - in this case graphics.

Push forward or die.

Mr_Brit

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Not exactly The Witcher 2 is it.
It's a 360 game, what did you expect? For an open world console game I think it looks very nice.

DennisK4 said:

There is no reason whatsoever not to hold games up against the best - in this case graphics.

Push forward or die.
They've already said the PC version looks the same as the console versions.

DiddyBop

Can't wait to find a nice house in whichever city is the most aesthetically pleasing, throwing out all the old stuff and filling the house with weapons, armor and other valuables I encounter on my epic quest. Can't wait!

Salsa

people complaining about graphics should get the PC version

shit's gonna be modded to hell and back, it will easily become the best looking game ever for a while.

Im personally happy with the fact that it doesnt seem TOO demanding.

Dead Man

DennisK4 said:

Push forward or die.
I have incredibly high standards actually, being a graphics whore is just not one of them. Push forward or die screaming about how pixelated and low res the textures are.

Mr_Brit

Banned
SalsaShark said:
people complaining about graphics should get the PC version

shit's gonna be modded to hell and back, it will easily become the best looking game ever for a while.

Im personally happy with the fact that it doesnt seem TOO demanding.
Have you ever modded Oblivion? Even something like a texture pack takes time and downloading several other programs to install the pack. Never mind all the other mods which are incredibly glitchy, hard to install, incompatible with other mods etc. Outside of graphical mods, most other mods weren't worth the hours of frustration to get up and running.

Also, mods won't be out on Day 1 which is when most people anticipating the game will be playing it.

Dennis

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
It's a 360 game, what did you expect?
Since it is also a PC game I expect that the graphics for that version would be competitive with other open-world RPGs like Two Worlds II on the PC.

And might I add, the budget for Two Worlds II and The Witcher 2 are minuscule compared to the budget of Skyrim.

People act like there is a scarcity of games and we should all just be thankful they still make games.

No! We should demand excellence!

GhaleonEB

DennisK4 said:
Since it is also a PC game I expect that the graphics for that version would be competitive with other open-world RPGs like Two Worlds II on the PC.

And might I add, the budget for Two Worlds II and The Witcher 2 are minuscule compared to the budget of Skyrim.
True, though we're looking at Xbox 360 screenshots. Given Bethesda's history and their approach to graphics in Skyrim, I'd still expect those games to outclass Skyrim on the PC. But its seems odd to be drawing the conclusions you are based entirely on the 360 version. It would make more sense to wait until you see what the PC version actually looks like.

I should note, it looks gorgeous for a 360 game, and the art design is absurdly ahead of Oblivion. If it looks that good, and plays as good as it sounds like it will, Skryim will be a feast.

NBtoaster

Dead Man said:
According to the previous thread. It is not just a couple tweaks, of course, but the impression I got was that it was an overhauled remaking of that engine.

Seems like it would be easier to make a new efficient, optimised for modern hardware engine rather than trying to shoe horn new features into 10 year old code that they didn't even write. If this does still have it's roots in Gamebryo they must have killed themselves working on it.

It looks quite different from Oblivion or Fallout to me.

Which are these amazing looking open world RPG´s on PC some of you seem to be talking about? I think I have missed those. I did play Risen and I have watched som videos from Two Worlds 2, and while they may impressive looking graphics when it comes to the scenery, they both have an art direction that makes them look like ass anyway.

Dennis

Banned
CecilRousso said:
Which are these amazing looking open world RPG´s on PC some of you seem to be talking about? I think I have missed those. I did play Risen and I have watched som videos from Two Worlds 2, and while they may impressive looking graphics when it comes to the scenery, they both have an art direction that makes them look like ass anyway.
This is the standard bullshit.

"OK so maybe the graphics are better in those games but the art direction sux!"

Art direction is subjective but the idea that Skyrim somehow have art direction which differs hugely from other RPGs is ridiculous.

North American RPG developers are falling embarrassingly, pathetically, behind in the graphics department. Deal with it and stop making excuses for it.

NBtoaster

DennisK4 said:

They want the game to be as acessable and as modular as possible, while also not having consoles be significantly disadvantaged. How moddable are TW2 and The Witcher 2? They are certainly not as accessable for lower end hardware.

DennisK4 said:

Push forward or die.
Lasr time I checked, games were about more than just graphics. For an open world-game running on 5-year old hardware, those shots look great. It seems like it's got a great art direction, too.

From a business standpoint, it makes little sense to develop a pc-version that looks completely different. You may not like it, but as long as we're stuck with this generation of consoles, it'll be like that. If you feel that strongly about it, vote with your dollar and don't buy the game. But I'm pretty sure you'll be posting shit-tons of screenshots the day after release, anyway.

There's a difference between having "high standards" and "bitching about everything". There's a lot of good-looking games that play like shit. If the game looks, plays and runs fine, I don't need to be able to count the hairs on my horse's ass. So to speak. :lol

If the gameplay ends up sucking, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong. Though I'll probably be too busy hunting dragons.

We're enjoying the screenshots and information for what they are, but it seems you're stuck in a "this game looks horrible there is no justice in the world"-mode. Push forward or die, eh. :p

I'm really interested to see how TW2 turns out on the 360, though.

Dennis

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
There's a difference between having "high standards" and "bitching about everything". There's a lot of good-looking games that play like shit. If the game looks, plays and runs fine, I don't need to be able to count the hairs on my horse's ass. So to speak. :lol

If the gameplay ends up sucking, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong. Though I'll probably be too busy hunting dragons.
Except the only thing I am bitching about is the graphics.

Otherwise the game seems very promising and a big step up from Oblivion. Absolutely one of my most anticipated games.

DennisK4 said:
Except the only thing I am bitching about is the graphics.

Otherwise the game seems very promising and a big step up from Oblivion. Absolutely one of my most anticipated games.
Fair enough. There's just a point where that bitching gets annoying. I can understand being semi-pissed the PC-version not getting the love it deserves, but at least you'll be able to mod the shit out of it and get it closer to how you want it to be. That's something not a lot of games allow the way the TES series does.

FGMPR

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
Fair enough. There's just a point where that bitching gets annoying. I can understand being semi-pissed the PC-version not getting the love it deserves, but at least you'll be able to mod the shit out of it and get it closer to how you want it to be. That's something not a lot of games allow the way the TES series does.

I agree with this sentiment. Whatever Bethesda does to its RPG's, as long as it keeps providing the construction kit/GECK's at launch, its all good. They can charge whatever they wish for substandard DLC, keep the graphics at a distinctly average level, even launch with a horrible, blown-up UI.

Just keep giving the gamers the power to customize these amazing sandbox's and I'm happy.

DennisK4 said:

Art direction is subjective but the idea that Skyrim somehow have art direction which differs hugely from other RPGs is ridiculous.

North American RPG developers are falling embarrassingly, pathetically, behind in the graphics department. Deal with it and stop making excuses for it.

It doesn´t differ, but it still looks way better executed than what games like Risen does. That game has have nice looking graphics when you look at the nature scenery, absolutely, but there really isn´t more to it. You can look generic like Skyrim, and you can look bland and amaturish like Risen does (I mean, look at the characters and enemies in that game). '

You really can´t be that aggresive towards it that you are, and use games like Risen and Two Worlds 2 as an argument for it. I just cant take that seriously. I mean, "Low-standards people like you are whats wrong with gaming.", really?

Piecake

DennisK4 said:

pretty silly to compare PC exclusives to multiplatform games

GavinGT

Banned
Excuse me, I haven't been following a lot of the Skyrim news. Have any of these issues from Oblivion been addressed?:

- no levitation
- many cities accessible only through gates (and loading screens)
- enemy/loot scaling
- cookie cutter dungeons

DennisK4 said:

People act like there is a scarcity of games and we should all just be thankful they still make games.

I agree. I'd prefer Bethesda pushing envelope of new graphics cards like TW2 but based on Bethesda's terrible track record of keeping graphics in par with least powerful hardware across all platforms in current gen that is too much to expect.

Bethesda indirectly compensate some of that by making all of their games highly moddable. Will have to wait for high-res texture pack by modding community.

GavinGT said:
Excuse me, I haven't been following a lot of the Skyrim news. Have any of these issues from Oblivion been addressed?:

- no levitation
- enemy/loot scaling
- cookie cutter dungeons
- Levitation is out, but there's apparently a Dragon Shout called "Hovering". What exactly that means is still unclear.

- The five major Hold Cities (Solitude, Riften, Whiterun, Windhelm, and Markarth Side) are walled-off, and only accessible through city gates. The other settlements are not.

- Enemy scaling is in, but in a very limited form. All regions in the world have a 'level range' (say 15 - 25). If you enter that region at level 8, the creatures will be scaled to level 15, and will remain that way for the rest of the game. If you enter at level 19, they'll be scaled to level 19. If you enter at level 50, they'll be scaled to level 25. We've had no clarification on loot scaling yet.

- Dungeons are made by a bigger team, and there's less of them than in Oblivion. Some are 'epic multi-hour dungeons', some are shorter in length. They're supposedly a lot more 'unique', like an ice cave inside a glacier or a spider lair.

GavinGT said:

- no levitation
- enemy/loot scaling
- cookie cutter dungeons

Maybe someone else knows better but I read before that cities are seperately loaded to be more detailed or some shit, scaling is in but it's like fallout in that areas get 'locked' to the level you went to, and they are designing shit tons more dungeons and they will fill them with random enemies like one may be a bandit hideout in your game but a goblin nest in yours

anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

ajim

This news article has confirmed that Bethesda are making A LOT of excellent decisions for Skyrim. Most anticipated game in a long, long time.

DennisK4 said:

Again. This shit again.

CecilRousso said:
You really can´t be that aggresive towards it that you are, and use games like Risen and Two Worlds 2 as an argument for it. I just cant take that seriously. I mean, "Low-standards people like you are whats wrong with gaming.", really?

He called Two Worlds 2 game of the forever.

Dennis has his own standards, and they're very high in some departments, and absurdely low in others. It's fine, in the end, and he's got the right to give much importance to image quality and little importance to, say, animations or gameplay.

The only thing he's dead wrong about is the budget thing. He's really not getting why Eastern European games manage those graphics with "tiny" budgets.

mandiller

Still looks Gamebryo-ish. They really need to jump to a much more powerful engine. It doesn't look that good.

Better than Oblivion? Yes. Better than most games coming out now? No way.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Game looks fucking beautiful.

A lil pissed about the loss of Unarmed but I can deal with that as long as they keep it in Fallout 4 or absorb mega fist and the like into melee or whatever.

Dr. Chaos said:
Game looks fucking beautiful.

A lil pissed about the loss of Unarmed but I can deal with that as long as they keep it in Fallout 4 or absorb mega fist and the like into melee or whatever.
I'm pretty sure Unarmed combat will be a perk tree in the one-handed skill. Could be wrong, but that's what happened to Blade and Blunt, after all.

MMaRsu

Banned
Jesus Dennis, emberassing yourself again?

Comparing a hardcore pc exclusive like The Witcher 2 to the 360 version of Skyrim...

Graphics look fucking great to me ( for 360 ).

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
MMaRsu said:

Comparing a hardcore pc exclusive like The Witcher 2 to the 360 version of Skyrim...

I agree, graphics looks nice for 6 year old hardware.

Fitz

Would certainly like the graphics quality to be higher, and for the cities to be open, thus allowing levitation etc. But really my only concern is that they've updated the engine enough that it can make full use of PC hardware for as long as possible into the future. The only reason I don't play Oblivion or Morrowind anymore is because once I've modded them to a level that satisfies me the game starts running at about 30fps as it isn't using more than 30% of my GPU.

Riposte

MMaRsu said:

I wonder what the Witcher 2 will look like on 360...

DennisK4 said:
The only thing embarrassing here are the graphics and the apologists.

Ok, just so that I fully understand you, which RPG games (released, not upcoming) are there that you would say looks better than what we have seen of Skyrim so far. You have said The Witcher 2 and Two Worlds II. Are there any other RPG that qualifies?

JoeBoy101

Graphics are fine for me. I grant them more leeway for large open world to game in. Use Two Worlds was beautiful, but it also played like a pig (not performed, played).

They are pushing alot of conceptual stuff in here, and can understand if their graphics fidelity is limited to the 360. CDProjekt did it a better way, but I don't think this means these graphics suck. I think it shows how good Witcher 2's graphics really are.

Tobor

Foliorum Viridum said:
I agree with Dennis, there's no excuse for this game not being a top tier game graphically.

Still excited, though. Motherfucking mammoths!
360 is the lead sku, that's the reason. You and Dennis need to make peace with that and move the fuck on. It looks great for the platform the bulk of the audience will play it on.

Top Bottom