• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The relaunching of the bundle today on the 15th gets a big come on man.

And at 2pm? I guess everyone and their brother will be ready then lol

Corto

STOP begging or trading coupons.

Check out the Steam coupon trading thread.

Seeing as how the other thread is labelled with "giving away" as well, I figured it was an all-catching bin for any coupon trading, including give aways.

I just wouldn't risk it unless a mod chimes in.

You're right. I perused that other thread but always thought it was for trade only.

And to add something more in topic. Dear Esther. Treat yourself in this Valentine day and buy this game. You deserve it!

MRORANGE

All right, thank you kind sir ;)

still interested? it's yours.

What version of Killing Floor should I get?

only one version of the game, rest are just DLC.

STOP begging or trading coupons.

Check out the Steam coupon trading thread.

Seeing as how the other thread is labelled with "giving away" as well, I figured it was an all-catching bin for any coupon trading, including give aways.

give aways have been done here as long as I can recall, but it just got annoying with people trying to trade there coupons at any given chance in this thread, hence why a mod changed the title I presume. I apologise if I kept spamming gifts the last page or so.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
They already have when they changed the title and said it was fine to do giveaways.

Good to hear, I like giving away stuff in this thread, since this is where the community is. I like to hook up all the cool bros in this thread, not random dudes who lurk giveaway threads just to score free shit.

On that note, I have a few things to give away later. :)

kuYuri

Anyone asking for MW3 discount already missed the best one about 2 months ago, it was $35. The cheapest I've ever seen the games go within 2 months of release.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The DLC is just costumes, so you won't miss out on anything by not buying it. That said, the costumes are pretty dope, I felt compelled to buy all of them since I got the game for so cheap.

Tifou

Banned
Anyone asking for MW3 discount already missed the best one about 2 months ago, it was $35. The cheapest I've ever seen the games go within 2 months of release.

Yea I missed that... :( Don't think I will buy it thought.

Alan Wake is coming in 2 days, didn't play it on the xbox, so I will put my money on this

MRORANGE

Oh yeah mw3 multiplayer is a joke.

they promised that the game would get dedicated servers, which it did, but it was not linked to your ranked profile so you could only use the base weapons/perks that they gave you, you can also not rank up in dedicated mode so it forces you to play p2p. (I doubt this has been fixed)

also it's the first game I bought that had cheaters on the first day of a game launch, I'm guessing most of the glitch's hacks from the mw2 engine can be replicated in this game, so expect to be hit from the air a lot (VAC can't detect these cheaters for some reason.)

so other negative points: maps are very close combat - anti-sniper, spawn points are terrible,, cannot change FOV, silly iron sightings, in terms of air spam it's less than mw2 but still annoying, oh and FUCKING JUGGERNAUT SUITE WTH.

Nabs

I haven't had a big issue with hackers, but I think most of 'em like to play demolition. I expect a lot of hacking this weekend. I remember the prestige hacks during the first MW2 free weekend.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I haven't bothered with MW3's competitive multiplayer yet. I've had some fun playing the previous games online, but it can be a very aggravating experience. I think I'm over it at this point. Spec Ops is great, though, they added a pretty substantial leveling system to it. It's the best part of the game, in my opinion.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I edited the thread title both times (-> "Stop begging for or trading coupons" -> "STOP begging for or trading coupons") and deleted some of the posts. A few other mods have also deleted posts and I think there was one ban, but that wasn't mine. I'm not speaking on behalf of all mods on this one, just myself, but I think most of the mods who read the thread would see where I'm coming from and a few other mods have deleted posts, like I said. Obviously this is kind of an ad hoc thing, so if things change our reaction might change a bit, and if EL or any admin chimes in with a different take, listen to them.

Here's my input on the situation:
This is basically a thread for conversation about the Steam platform. New client features, upcoming games, sales and deals, game impressions (I especially like these!), technical help. It's a pretty wide umbrella. I like that GAF and the GAFfers on Steam are so great about giving each other gifts all the time. It's amazing how generous people are. And I like to think that people who are the beneficiaries of generosity in turn become more generous. So that's great.

That being said, it causes drama when particular people are always begging for free loot. That's not great. Since the influx of Indie Bundles and Steam coupons, it seems to me like a lot more people are either begging for free stuff, begging for coupons, or trying to trade worthless junk for much higher value items (yo guys got HIB3 key ne1 wanna trade skyrim level crap). That's also not great. Hey, I've got plenty of free stuff on GAF too, I have no problem with people wanting free stuff, but it needs to be tactful, it needs to not cause bitterness and resentment, and it needs to stop flooding the thread.

That's why I first asked people to not beg for coupons in here. Then to not trade coupons--because "I want Skyrim 50% off" and "I want Skyrim 50% off am offering 10% off Focus Home Interactive" are the same thing. We have a trading thread that's setup to accommodate that without getting in the way of discussion, and without really any real need to worry about chronic beggars or problem users. I know most people mean well, but this is the best solution for everyone.

With all that in mind as where I'm coming from, I haven't in the past stopped people from giving stuff away. Sometimes it gets annoying when like 5 people hold back to back giveaway contests and the whole thread is contest entries, but in general someone simply saying "Free Bad Rats Code: 1847-GYJB-FART" and someone else saying "Thanks, claimed" is okay. If a lot of the users in this thread feel that stuff is obnoxious, then maybe we could start taking a look at moving it but for now I'm not too concerned. Clearly people offloading their junk coupons is a bit spammy, like donating clothes with holes in them to a thrift store and claiming you're charitable, but for now I don't think it's been a problem here.

In an effort to keep the thread on track, if you read this and don't have anything urgent to say that needs to be said in thread, please PM me or another mod instead of replying in here. I'm always happy to hear feedback about this thread in particular, it's one of the best ongoing threads on GAF in my opinion. :)

Baha

Awesome. Thank you so much. How meaty is this particular DLC?

I haven't gotten around to playing it yet but it seems to include outfits that you can unlock for your heroes. In essence it seems to be very much like the Turkey Hunt dlc that came out last year (co-op map with hero outfit rewards).

Megasoum

Banned
I edited the thread title both times (-> "Stop begging for or trading coupons" -> "STOP begging for or trading coupons") and deleted some of the posts. A few other mods have also deleted posts and I think there was one ban, but that wasn't mine. I'm not speaking on behalf of all mods on this one, just myself, but I think most of the mods who read the thread would see where I'm coming from and a few other mods have deleted posts, like I said. Obviously this is kind of an ad hoc thing, so if things change our reaction might change a bit, and if EL or any admin chimes in with a different take, listen to them.

Here's my input on the situation:
[...]

Yup, I learned that the hard way lol (Guess that's one of the problem with using the Live Thread chrome addon since I can go a week or two without actually seeing the thread title).

Your explanation make total sense though and I completly agree. It was getting a bit excessive at some point.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Gifted a friend Killing Floor and he's completely hooked. I love how I can pick this game up whenever, playing with whomever, and just watch a couple of hours slip right by. Such a fantastic bro-op game.

I haven't bothered with MW3's competitive multiplayer yet. I've had some fun playing the previous games online, but it can be a very aggravating experience. I think I'm over it at this point. Spec Ops is great, though, they added a pretty substantial leveling system to it. It's the best part of the game, in my opinion.

Yo, we should really try this again. I love Spec Ops.

Nabs

So I installed MW2 last night and I'm trying the MP now.

It's allowed in my firewall and my NAT is open, yet I can't find any players for a game. Any tips?

Matchmaking has been shit for the last year +. It's bad. Your best bet is to browse gaf while you wait, or find a few people to start a lobby with.

Wow... really? Because I can still jump in to COD4 and MW2 on the 360 and find a game instantly.

There goes my desire to start up a new character on PC.

Edit: Just found some people, 6 minutes after I looked for a game. Disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom