• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

DAKYvOTVYAAIK4B.jpg

I was hopeful that this might deliver considering how smooth sailing the production of this movie has been. No behind the scenes drama, no reshoots/more jokes rumours....just the ocasional shaved armpits outrage.

Of all the positive reactions my favorites are those who praise Gal specifically, of all the DCEU main actors she's the one who got most flak, either because of her body, facial expression, accent and how "she barely speaks english" remarks I've seen floating around...

June can't come soon enough

I was hopeful that this might deliver considering how smooth sailing the production of this movie has been. No behind the scenes drama, no reshoots/more jokes rumours....just the ocasional shaved armpits outrage.

Of all the positive reactions my favorites are those who praise Gal specifically, of all the DCEU main actors she's the one who got most flak, either because of her body, facial expression, accent and how "she barely speaks english" remarks I've seen floating around...

Tbh that last one is kinda racist. Or at least xenophobic.

Honestly I'm pleasantly surprised to see the praise, but hearing that she performs well isn't shocking to me in the least. She was fantastic in BvS.

Ahasverus

I've always said, WW is the only drama free DCEU movie and the only one that stuck to its creative vision as it was not caught between the crossfire of the post BvS panic. JL might not be so lucky, and Aquaman already went from "Horror tinted epic" to "Swashbuckling adventure". WW is what it was supposed to be from 2012.

Effect

That's more on Damon Caro, Snyder's longtime collaborator on stunts and second unit, working on Wonder Woman. It's tricky where you start attributing credit of these big productions. At the end of the day the director is steering the whole ship and taking the responsibility, but you get scenes like the Civil War airport or BvS warehouse where second unit is doing the heavy lifting.

Also funny to see the slow-mo is back for Wonder Woman and Justice League. I'm fine with it in small doses but I greatly prefer what they did on MoS and BvS. Sucker Punch went way too far for my tastes.

This is true. I don't think anyone should take anything from Patty Jenkins. Her ability to get performances out of people appears to be really at play there. At the same time I think this film largely wouldn't even be happening if it wasn't for the Snyders. They're the ones that pushed this through starting with Snyder being the one that pushed to have Wonder Woman in BvS in the first place. I get the impression WB wouldn't have been okay with this had Snyder's studio not been willing to take on a good bit of financial responsibility. If this is a success we all hope it will be and people love it some people are going to have a hard time accepting that what they loved has a good bit of Snyder all over it (casting Gal, story and producer credits, his long term partners working on film, etc).

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
did Snyder have any input on WW?

i've got tickets for the fan screening on Wed and i am stoked - partly because the fights i've seen maintain that weighty punchy feel that Snyder is super good at

i like the idea of him having input on WW / Aquaman from an action standpoint and then letting Patty / Wan do the character bits

Penguin

Well not entirely true. memory is a funny thing

ONe it losts its original director due to creative differences.
We know it had reshoots/pick up shoots last fall because article about Gal doing it while preggo.

I think people don't forget because not much else has come out of it, but it has gone through normal movie "woes"

did Snyder have any input on WW?

i've got tickets for the fan screening on Wed and i am stoked - partly because the fights i've seen maintain that weighty punchy feel that Snyder is super good at

i like the idea of him having input on WW / Aquaman from an action standpoint and then letting Patty / Wan do the character bits

He has script credit and is a producer on it like most DCEU films.

Glass Rebel

Regardless of how I feel about Gal Gadot as a person or actress, it would give me immense satisfaction if this became a super hit and shut up the sexists and racists that keep on shitting on her.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I think it's a ruse of some sort so we let our guards down when the reviews come in. I implore you, DC-ites. Do NOT let your guards down. Be on your toes, as its very likely this won't review like you're thinking.

Penguin

I think it's a ruse of some sort so we let our guards down when the reviews come in. I implore you, DC-ites. Do NOT let your guards down. Be on your toes, as its very likely this won't review like you're thinking.

Oh I don't care about the RT

Most of the impressions are positive. Actors/chemistry are good. Solid action. Suffers as many comic movies do from a 3rd act that needs to go big even if the story doesn't call for it.

We know it had reshoots/pick up shoots last fall because article about Gal doing it while preggo.

I think people don't forget because not much else has come out of it, but it has gone through normal movie "woes"

You are absolutely right,I had completely forgotten about the director's dance early on to be honest...probably because it didn't reach The Flash/ Batman levels of drama.

All in all as soon as Patty was a lock everything just went its natural course, even with the reshoots/pickups news at least it didn't turn into a "WB has reworked the entire movie..TWICE!" kinda thing.

Penguin

I hope that the talk about a bad third act doesnt bring down the reviews.

I don't think folks have called it bad?

Think the best word heard was "mismatch" which most comic book movies suffer from. I think one of the things Civil War did well... it's not about saving the world or something, the climax is pretty subdue for a recent comic movie.

Ahasverus

Think the best word heard was "mismatch" which most comic book movies suffer from. I think one of the things Civil War did well... it's not about saving the world or something, the climax is pretty subdue for a recent comic movie.
Amazing third act of that movie. In fact, I'd say its first act is good, the second abysmal, and the last one is pure brillance.

Glass Rebel

Someone called it "disastrous". It's probably the same hyperbole as "emo-scenes" in Spider-Man 3, Mandarin reveal in Iron Man 3 or the dance battle in "Guardians of the Galaxshit".

LionPride

Banned
Someone called it "disastrous". It's probably the same hyperbole as "emo-scenes" in Spider-Man 3, Mandarin reveal in Iron Man 3 or the dance battle in "Guardians of the Galaxshit".
So shit that ain't that serious but people will act like it is and come across as whiny ass people over the internet? Gotcha.

BadAss2961

And don't forget the typical "it's a mess" rumors that pissed off Patty to the point that she responded on twitter.

This did have its fair share of DCEU drama.

Penguin

And don't forget the typical "it's a mess" rumors that pissed off Patty to the point that she responded on twitter.

This did have its fair share of DCEU drama.
Ha I had forgotten about this, but yeah there were rumors it was a mess near the start of the year

I mean it's comic book movies. Shit is inherently dorky and not all that serious. Not sure what you're saying here.

I have no idea what this means.

You said someone called it "disastrous" that person was some dude named Mr. Beak on Twitter so was wondering if anyone figured out who he was

Ninjimbo

I think the 3rd act will be just as "mismatched" as the 3rd act of Man of Steel. It's all good, guys.
Cavill's face here never fails to crack me up.

I'm guessing the 3rd Act is going to go bombastic on us and raise the stakes to ethereal levels. That would be okay with me as long as the action looks cool.

IconGrist

You said someone called it "disastrous" that person was some dude named Mr. Beak on Twitter so was wondering if anyone figured out who he was

If you don't know who he is because it's some alias and his occupation is not listed in his bio then I don't think it really matters who he is.

a916

That dance thing in GOTG takes GOTG several notches down for me... it's a slap in the face for a company who's been awful at making compelling villains on the big screen.

Busty

Banned
Jeff Sneider is reporting that David Ayer is in early talks to direct the Scarface reboot for Universal.

So it looks like he, by default, might be done with Gotham City Sirens. He was brought into the studio by former WB President Greg Silverman and many assumed that he had survived under the new regime.

Evidently not.

a916

All you heathens know that it weren't for Snyder the Gawd, there would be no Wonder Woman movie... praise the real gawd, Snyder.

/s

ryan299

Jeff Sneider is reporting that David Ayer is in early talks to direct the Scarface reboot for Universal.

So it looks like he, by default, might be done with Gotham City Sirens. He was brought into the studio by former WB President Greg Silverman and many assumed that he had survived under the new regime.

Evidently not.

Mayimbe hinted on Periscope the other day that he didn't think Ayer was going to stay on Sirens.

Pachimari

That dance thing in GOTG takes GOTG several notches down for me... it's a slap in the face for a company who's been awful at making compelling villains on the big screen.

I thought that dance-off scene was one of the best scenes in the MCU, because it was so left-field and came out of nowhere, that I laughed my ass off, and it resolved any differences me and my ex had so we went out the cinema holding hands singing "hooked on a feeling..!"

To me, that's setting a golden standard for the medium.

Mayimbe hinted on Periscope the other day that he didn't think Ayer was going to stay on Sirens.

Good god, I would like him to stay away after what we got with Suicide Squad. I really do hope for a great movie, but for it to come from someone who understand to put the magic of the source material up on the big screen.

Top Bottom