• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS launches June 16

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
So while we saw Spring man and Min-min's unique abilities. It looks like the profiles give hints to the others special abilities. Ribbon Girl can double jump, Master Mummy has high defense, Ninjara can disappear and sneak around the stage, and I don't know about Mechanica.

I can't remember when this happened, but all of their special abilities were previously revealed (minus Min MIn, of course). I believe Mechanica's ability is that she can hover in the air. Maybe she can do something else, too, but I forget. EDIT: Perhaps they were detailed in the Treehouse Live segment from the January 12th/13th event, but I'm not sure.

random25

So while we saw Spring man and Min-min's unique abilities. It looks like the profiles give hints to the others special abilities. Ribbon Girl can double jump, Master Mummy has high defense, Ninjara can disappear and sneak around the stage, and I don't know about Mechanica.

Master Mummy has a super armor on the ground and can also recover a bit of life while on guard.

Mechanica can hover while airborne and also has super armor while on air.

zeromcd73

https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter

Some new art from the official twitter account:

C9l-m8sUAAAQSlj.jpg:large

Jubenhimer

Little Mons†er;233883625 said:
That's good to know

I mean doing motion controls in tabletop mode in an airplane would be disruptive

I think the portability aspect of the Switch must've forced the developers to include traditional controls BIG TIME

Considering that developers have the option to block off any mode, I don't think that's the main reason, I think the main reason traditional controls were included were to make the game more attractive to eSports players.

I can't remember when this happened, but all of their special abilities were previously revealed (minus Min MIn, of course). I believe Mechanica's ability is that she can hover in the air. Maybe she can do something else, too, but I forget. EDIT: Perhaps they were detailed in the Treehouse Live segment from the January 12th/13th event, but I'm not sure.

It was in the ARMS character video we got a few weeks back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC9tQ2dRGq4

jdstorm

Banned
So i just got around to watching some gameplay from some of the invitational tournaments Nintendo has been putting on. Wow. This game seems to have a really high skill ceiling.

Hopefully the single player content is significantly less demanding.

Doorman

The talk in these bios of a Grand Prix, as well as Spring Man's bringing up a reigning champion, definitely seems to hint at an arcade/ladder mode where you battle through a series of tournament fights culminating in a "title bout" against the current champ.

That ought to work as a decent single player mode, though they could feasibly combine it with some of the other stuff like the get Arms mini game as part of a career mode too, which I think could be pretty fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkU_6ICKAL4

I didn't realize they had an invitational.

Momochi shows up lol

(SFV player)

The first match was kind of funny since it was just Ninjara bullying the other guy with teleport and then punish.

The actual tourney starts around the 40:00 minute mark. The Ribbon girl footsies and Ninjara rush down stuff just in the first match is awesome. Great find and a nice start to seeing some early high level play. :D

EDIT: No Min Min btw. :(

Mr. Hyde

This will probably be the first competitive fighting game I will truly get into. This and Splatoon is going to keep me busy on the multiplayer level.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Spring man most definitely seems to be low tier, Ninjara god tier of those playable and the rest somewhere in the middle. We'll see how the next batch of characters compete with him.

DKL

Now actually watching people that know how to play, the movement is really sick and fast.

I'm hoping there will be some neat combo stuff demoed in the invitational.

EDIT:

I think Momochi already using the electric fist tech?

I can't tell :v

Anyway, he's making his opponent look completely free.

Spring man was definitely seems to be low tier, Ninjara god tier of those playable and the rest somewhere in the middle. We'll see how the next batch of characters compete with him.

I wonder if using specific arms can make a seemingly low tier character better.

Or will they just Nerf Ninjara lol.

DKL

I wonder if using specific arms can make a seemingly low tier character better.

Or will they just Nerf Ninjara lol.

I feel like he's already a fundamentally good character because of his ability to block and then teleport while blocking...

(with possibly a few vulnerable frames after the teleport, but they're setting this character up to be someone that can punish after the teleport, so who knows?)

Given my understanding of the game, that already covers a lot of options (all you would have to look out for is throws)...

But I'm not sure since we don't actually have the game yet :v

DrArchon

Calling it now, even if Ninjara or another fast character ends up being the best character in the game, I'm fully expecting more people in the OT to be complaining about Master Mummy and other slow characters for the first month or so. Seems like that's how it always is with fighting games.

DKL

Calling it now, even if Ninjara or another fast character ends up being the best character in the game, I'm fully expecting more people in the OT to be complaining about Master Mummy and other slow characters for the first month or so. Seems like that's how it always is with fighting games.

What a coincidence: I called this too :v

That said, Momochi does show case something that leads into a guaranteed super... trying to figure out what it is lol

EDIT:

Yeah, he hit with that triple hand thing, a red marker came out, then the other guy ate the full super animation.

EDIT EDIT:

Maybe?

I'm not sure. It's possible the other guy just stood there like an idiot and ate the thing lol

I don't expect this game to be balanced. Nerfs will happen.

If your gonna play this at a tournament do they have to use the split-screen setup? You can't have two Switch consoles connect to each other so a player can have their own screen?

TZchassis

If your gonna play this at a tournament do they have to use the split-screen setup? You can't have two Switch consoles connect to each other so a player can have their own screen?
I am pretty sure they'll implement this. We've already seen it mentioned for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2. I think it will be implemented for every multiplayer Nintendo game.

DKL

I'm still trying to figure out what the red and yellow exclamation marks are...

Does anyone know lol

I assume it's some kind of state that disables arms? What causes it tho :v

I'm still trying to figure out what the red and yellow exclamation marks are...

Does anyone know lol

I assume it's some kind of state that disables arms? What causes it tho :v

Yellow means that arm has taken damage (you can see the amount of time it takes to recharge from caution state to normal by the amount of yellow in the indicator). Red means disabled. You can actively attack enemy arms to get them in that state and certain arms do it better than others (like Slapamanders).

32016822820_6f28a05045_o.gif

Doorman

Additionally, hitting an opponent with the lightning element (like from a charged Sparky hit) will also temporarily disable their arms. While an arm is down you can't attack with it, can't block, and it might limit movement somewhat too? It's a powerful tool.

DKL

Additionally, hitting an opponent with the lightning element (like from a charged Sparky hit) will also temporarily disable their arms. While an arm is down you can't attack with it, can't block, and it might limit movement somewhat too? It's a powerful tool.

Dabuz talks about how having an arm busted limits movement actually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reJ8A7TkpSE

I feel like the tourney vids and the vid above are the first things we should actually look at as opposed to like the promotional stuff lol

You can tech roll on wakeup too... there seems to be a lot of options.

EDIT:

Talks about how Ninja is busted and it's why he used it in tournament lol

Dabuz talks about how having an arm busted limits movement actually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reJ8A7TkpSE

I feel like the tourney vids and the vid above are the first things we should actually look at as opposed to like the promotional stuff lol

You can tech roll on wakeup too... there seems to be a lot of options.

EDIT:

Talks about how Ninja is busted and it's why he used it in tournament lol

I feel like Nintendo should use vids from professional players to showcase ARMS lol.

I'll be honest I initially didn't expect the game to be really fast paced until I saw the tournament vid.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Spring man most definitely seems to be low tier, Ninjara god tier of those playable and the rest somewhere in the middle. We'll see how the next batch of characters compete with him.

Well I didn't see anyone playing Spring Man actually use his parry ability, which is likely key to actually succeeding in high-level play, so it's probably too early to judge.

Cerium

I'm thinking of making a thread for the Invitational and the Dabuz impressions. AFAIK it's never been posted here.

Doorman

I'm thinking of making a thread for the Invitational and the Dabuz impressions. AFAIK it's never been posted here.
I don't think a topic was ever made for the invitational specifically, but there was an extra topic some time after the reveal that included more footage and analysis from the Switch preview events and so on which included a lot of this information. I think that topic, like the game's depth in general, went rather overlooked by most folks. :p

I don't think a topic was ever made for the invitational specifically, but there was an extra topic some time after the reveal that included more footage and analysis from the Switch preview events and so on which included a lot of this information. I think that topic, like the game's depth in general, went rather overlooked by most folks. :p

I think people are wondering whether a game based almost entirely on keeping distance and moving side-to-side can be exciting to look at.

Peltz

Gameplay looks great here. It looks much faster than in the trailers. Hyped now.
Same. I was meh on recent footage but now it's much more clear this is a fighting game after watching these vids. It's way faster than I originally thought it would be.

Doorman

I think people are wondering whether a game based almost entirely on keeping distance and moving side-to-side can be exciting to look at.
Right, my point is just that there's already been videos and topics discussing the game's pace, tech, watchability, and viability...and those resources generally go overlooked in lieu of continuing to ask those already-addressed questions. There's not been a single ARMS topic that's gone by without multiple people wondering whether the game has online play or not, despite it being confirmed literally during the game's initial mainstage reveal.

Part of this is a problem with Nintendo's messaging for the game, to be sure, but even on this site there's been a lot of inattention to detail, willfully or otherwise. I don't think another topic showing the old invitational video is going to change any minds here, I guess is my point.

Top Bottom