• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of the CW's Supergirl SDCC panel incident/bad taste comment

jobrro

That is what people were upset over? We should be more upset over the quality of the last season. Junk was terrible, and it doesn't seem like the next season will learn from its past mistakes.

I hope they either leave Superman on the wayside or find a way to prop Supergirl up without completely ruining Superman's character. In this show he has literally nothing going for him. He is slower, weaker, being raised as a human is a weakness and apparently his experience is moot.

Saw the other thread and assumed some shitty misogynist stuff went down.

Read this thread and...

You win the award for Extremely Internet today I guess.

aliengmr

I'm upset that he looked directly at the camera and therefore seemed intentional I also found his first twitter apology lacking as others did. I also don't like how the cast laughed and repeating the line several times which, to me, feels like they are endorsing it. To be honest, I just feel like it wasn't needed and I'm not sure why it happened in the first place.

I think you should take what you are feeling as a sign that you are just way too close to this issue.

obin_gam

I'm upset that he looked directly at the camera and therefore seemed intentional I also found his first twitter apology lacking as others did. I also don't like how the cast laughed and repeating the line several times which, to me, feels like they are endorsing it. To be honest, I just feel like it wasn't needed and I'm not sure why it happened in the first place.

It's just a tv show dude

So, the mod that closed the last thread, said it was OK to create a new thread when we had proof of the comments made and not the ramblings of a blogger that started the last thread so I hope this is OK in the eyes of GAF. I also would like to keep "shipper" talk out of this thread and would like an honest take of how you feel toward the actor/ supporting this show after seeing this footage as I am unsure now after being a fan of Jeremy Jordan as this does seem intentional and done with a little bit of malice.

The clip starts at the :30 mark and basically the cast was asked to do a musical recap of S2 with Melissa and Jeremy taking the lead and singing in a normal tone until the Lena/Supergirl part where he breaks, looks directly at the camera and shouts "THEY"RE ONLY FRIENDS" several times with the cast laughing and repeating that same line obviously encouraging it. The video also includes Jeremy's first twitter response apology that did NOT go over well so he had to issue a second one (both documented in the below video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7UrSEaE0kw

So what is your guy's take on this? Does this make you want to continue supporting the show/the actors? I just don't know why you would do this at SDCC of all places where you are trying to promote your show and disrespecting fans, even a small section of them, should be a "no no".

Nothing to see here I guess.

Grimsen

Seems like harmless fun from the actors.

They actually said in the video that the actor is pushing for a gay storyline for his character. I had never heard this until now but wouldn't that be a cool idea especially after this negative press.

Oh come on.

giphy.gif

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I equate this to the people getting upset that Michael Phelps didn't race a Great White Shark side by side in the ocean. Get over it. This has no impact on your actual lives.

kmfdmpig

You said it seemed intentional and they're endorsing it. What seemed intentional and endorsed? Do you think he's being homophobic? Based on his twitter feed it seems like that's not in his nature.

SalvaPot

It's a joke, you are not (And no one is) been attacked. This people work in the show, a show that is meant to be watched for peoples of all ages. Now imagine all the amount of comments they receive and it just makes sense they will want to make fun of it a bit.

Honestly if you feel this is a big deal then I kind of feel bad for you, its just a show.

We are talking about a show that has received high praise for the way they handle a gay storyline.
How the fuck do someone gets upset by what happened?

Replicant

It's actually offensive that these fans used homophobia, which is a serious issue, to further the cause of their shipping while completely ignoring the actual LGBT character that's already on the show as well as LGBT supportive actors on the show. These fans are not interested in actual LGBT issues. They are only interested in jerking off to their fantasy pairing.

Ray Down

Banned
You sound way to close to this issue.

Dude it's just them having fun.

Pluto

I'm upset that he looked directly at the camera and therefore seemed intentional I also found his first twitter apology lacking as others did.
I guess it's hard to come up with a genuine, heartfelt apology when you did nothing wrong and are currently attacked by a bunch of "fans".

LotusHD

Banned
I am going to stop watching the show
because both seasons were terrible.

So what is your guy's take on this? Does this make you want to continue supporting the show/the actors? I just don't know why you would do this at SDCC of all places where you are trying to promote your show and disrespecting fans, even a small section of them, should be a "no no".

Lmao, no dude, who cares

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

You need to re-evaluate your entire situation.

stupei

The essential premise behind the complaint is that if it were a man and a woman who were very, very close and sent each other flowers, the cast wouldn't be as inclined to make a joke about the possibility they could get together because, hell, if your show runs long enough (especially on the CW) just about any guy and girl might get together if they have chemistry because you have to leave the door open to keeping it interesting. But anyone with half a brain knows that Lena and Kara are never getting together. Surely all the shippers know that too.

And we all know the reason that would never, ever happen is they are never going to make Supergirl date a woman. Ever. We know that's a big part of what makes this different.

A lot of the people who ship Lena with Kara are themselves bisexual and lesbian women and that is why something clearly intended as a light playful joke feels personal to many of them. Because it is an acknowledgement of what we all already know, that the idea of a Supergirl who would have that in common with them is so absurd and unlikely that it's really only laughable. It's impossible. It's never going to happen.

But I also think the extreme response some of these same people have directed at the entire cast for this is a pretty clear demonstration of why they might be inclined to make such a joke in the first place.

netguy503

I don't think this is in bad taste at all. Just a case of fans getting upset over something dumb.

Well it could be taken, as a fan in the video I posted tweeted to Jeremy, that being gay is wrong and something to be looked down on. I know that is a reach, especially in a show that had a heavy gay storyline last season, but still I don't know why that comment had to be made at all.

Edit: I think stupei just made the point of what I was trying to convey with this thread beautifully. Thank you for that. :)

Slime

Banned
It's actually offensive that these fans used homophobia, which is a serious issue, to further the cause of their shipping while completely ignoring the actual LGBT character that's already on the show as well as LGBT supportive actors on the show. These fans are not interested in actual LGBT issues. They are only interested in jerking off to their fantasy pairing.

Shippers will latch on to absolutely anything to make the people who disagree with them seem like the devil incarnate.

I have seen few things weirder than overzealous shippers on fan forums.

LotusHD

Banned
Well it could be taken, as a fan in the video I posted tweeted to Jeremy, that being gay is wrong and something to be looked down on. I know that is a reach, especially in a show that had a heavy gay storyline last season, but still I don't know why that comment had to be made at all.

Ya think?

TS-08

But you still aren't explaining what is upsetting. What was intentional? What did the rest of the cast endorse? You are talking as if the supposed offensive or unacceptable behavior speaks for itself, but it doesn't.

Umm... where did the guy disrespect the fans?

As an outsider looking in, this is the dumbest controversy I've heard this year. The guy tells them that a ship isn't gonna happen, and they browbeat him until he apologizes? Yikes. All it does is force the cast to give cookie cutter publicist-approved answers in the future. If something as innocuous and fun as a singing recap can cause such backlash, anything can.

It's really hard for me to wrap my mind around being offended that a fictional pairing of fictional characters (so... doubly fake) will never happen.

abundant

We are talking about a show that has received high praise for the way they handle a gay storyline.

You have to remember that the people that got upset over this are a subset of CW fans that are shippers that take it way too seriously. So for those people, they think they're mocking a relationship between two female characters that they want to see, so then it must be homophobic.

stupei

Well the Alex side of that storyline is pretty well written.

Maggie might as well not even be a character on the show she's so vaguely fleshed out. (And she's being demoted from series regular to reoccurring next season, which you would think would be the actual point of contention or concern surrounding Supergirl, LGBTQ representation, and SDCC this year. And yet.)

kiguel182

I thought this was about something serious...

Is this about someone shipping the characters? And then getting mad about it?

Wtf...

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I thought this was about something serious...

Is this about someone shipping the characters? And then getting mad about it?

Wtf...

Also this thread is totally not about shipping.

netguy503

Well the Alex side of that storyline is pretty well written.

Maggie might as well not even be a character on the show she's so vaguely fleshed out. (And she's being demoted from series regular to reoccurring next season, which you would think would be the actual point of contention or concern surrounding Supergirl, LGBTQ representation, and SDCC this year. And yet.)

I'm going to miss Maggie. :(

I still think giving Winn a gay storyline (especially after this and if the actor truly is pushing it for his character as the video states) would be welcome.

cr0w

Old Member
This is why I like to pretend I'm the only person who watches the shows I'm interested in. Fandoms are scary, scary things.

Top Bottom