• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of the CW's Supergirl SDCC panel incident/bad taste comment

netguy503

So, the mod that closed the last thread, said it was OK to create a new thread when we had proof of the comments made and not the ramblings of a blogger that started the last thread so I hope this is OK in the eyes of GAF. I also would like to keep "shipper" talk out of this thread and would like an honest take of how you feel toward the actor/ supporting this show after seeing this footage as I am unsure now after being a fan of Jeremy Jordan as this does seem intentional and done with a little bit of malice.

The clip starts at the :30 mark and basically the cast was asked to do a musical recap of S2 with Melissa and Jeremy taking the lead and singing in a normal tone until the Lena/Supergirl part where he breaks, looks directly at the camera and shouts "THEY"RE ONLY FRIENDS" several times with the cast laughing and repeating that same line obviously encouraging it. The video also includes Jeremy's first twitter response apology that did NOT go over well so he had to issue a second one (both documented in the below video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7UrSEaE0kw

So what is your guy's take on this? Does this make you want to continue supporting the show/the actors? I just don't know why you would do this at SDCC of all places where you are trying to promote your show and disrespecting fans, even a small section of them, should be a "no no".

I also would like to keep "shipper" talk out of this thread

Some of this discussion is directly related to angry "shippers" though.

Also, the other thread actually had the entire panel. Modbot just missed it. Needs maintenance.

Kurdel

Banned
The fans aren't entitled to their head canon, and should respect the thoughts of the acual people who get harassed about this shipping bullshit on a daily basis.

You can't keep shipper talk out of this. This is a bunch of incredibly sensitive people sad that their head canon is being lightly mocked. This is a complete and utter non issue and never should have been one.

Briarios

What's the problem with it? He's making fun of their obvious chemistry on the show that's causing people to ship them. It's a joke. I literally see nothing controversial about this.

SpaceWolf

Banned
So what is your guy's take on this? Does this make you want to continue supporting the show/the actors? I just don't know why you would do this at SDCC of all places where you are trying to promote your show and disrespecting fans, even a small section of them, should be a "no no".

How on earth were they "disrespecting fans" by doing this?

Like, I just don't understand this controversy at all.

So, that's what got people all worked up? Yikes. Looks like the cast having fun. Don't the Supernatural guys have to deal with shippers trying to ship the two of them & they play brothers? Shippers can get crazy.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I dont understand what anyone is upset about? Like really op, can you define for me exactly what is making you upset here?

The fans aren't entitled to their head canon, and should respect the thoughts of the acual people who get harassed about this shipping bullshit on a daily basis.

This. There's this tendency for certain groups of fans to feel they own the show in some way. It's one of the reasons why I absolutely hate shippers.

Fury451

Banned
Holy fucking shit, someone had to apologize over this?

Why would you stop watching the show because THE CAST OF THE SHOW was having a little bit of a fun time with the fanbase?

ReaperXL7

I'm confused, is the OP asking will we/should we stop watching a tv show because they made made a little fun and shippers got mad because the characters are only friends?

I don't think shippers should be in control of TV shows so I don't really see an issue here (though granted I can't watch the video at the moment). I've seen some pretty extreme examples of how far Shippers will go to try and protect their head cannon and a lot of it just doesn't seem healthy.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i asked it in a different thread and forgot what thread. wtf is a shipper and how badly am I going to hate the answer?

Trickster

Talk about first world problems

I honestly think anyone who is legit upset over this should rethink their priorities, this is about as much of a non issue that I've ever seen.

i asked it in a different thread and forgot what thread. wtf is a shipper and how badly am I going to hate the answer?

Shippers are people on the internet who like to pair people from shows or games together. Something like Overwatch has a large amount it with pairs like Mercy/Pharah and Tracer/Widowmaker

I'd like to think most people don't take it very seriously, but like with every kind of online culture, some people are gonna go way overboard with how seriously they take it

Trace

Banned
Talk about first world problems

I honestly think anyone who is legit upset over this should rethink their priorities, this is about as much of a non issue that I've ever seen.

Pretty much sums it up. Come on people, get over yourselves.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
They did nothing wrong...the shipping fandom is really overreacting when it comes to some shows. Honestly i feel bad for these actors have to issue apologize for something like this - they are just humans after all.

Stitch

Gold Member
wowitsfuckingnothing.gif

seriously, it's nothing. people freak out over nothing. thanks social media.

jobrro

All for more homosexual/questioning etc. representation in media but this seems a little silly if there is true outrage about this. The actor just seemed to be trying to be funny, even if they were going to hook up in the first episode of S3 (which would be strange, Kara just lost a love interest so they would need to build to it) he would probably have said the same thing just to deflect it.

I just don't really get the idea of shipping.

Like, what compels someone to put so much stock into a fictional relationship that doesn't even exist?

netguy503

Isn't his character in love with supergirl or is he not anymore?

They actually said in the video that the actor is pushing for a gay storyline for his character. I had never heard this until now but wouldn't that be a cool idea especially after this negative press.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm starting to understand the OP now, and I'm feeling that weird feeling where you are embarrassed on behalf of the other person. Seriously OP.

Top Bottom