• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of the CW's Supergirl SDCC panel incident/bad taste comment

Shippers are the worst. Every time I read about their incessant whining regarding relationships in a show I watch, I get worried that the show creators will bow to them and ruin the show just to make them giddy that their OTP kissed.

Ex. Agents of Shield. No, Mack and Fitz aren't gay for each other.

Even worse is that creepy Supernatural fandom that ships literal brothers.

Oh for those that don't understand the context of the term "shipper", it really is just fans expecting the actors to actually be involved with each other or even related, I guess. Supernatural gets this all the time with Sam and Dean(case in point, look at me) to the point where female supporting casts members that come between the brothers(Ooops did it again) are killed off because fans don't like it.

If I understand the supergirl thing correctly, this is the same exact situation. The fans have to take it. I mean it is what it is.

number11

The topic name and the tone of the first paragraph of this post, I was expecting something serious... lol

Please tell me this is a joke.

Replicant

'Disrespecting fans'?

Only delusional fans will go into rage over this. Prob the same people who are crazy over Winchesters and can't accept any other characters getting in the way of the 'brotherly' love.

New002

...okay I thought this thread was going to be about something legit serious based on the title and beginning of the OP. I'm...not really seeing the controversy here. Or rather...I'm not really seeing the need for controversy here.

Elandyll

Banned

Could we get more context from OP, or is the thread reserved for shippers in the CW Supergirl universe, while being asked not to talk about shipping?

I admit I'm confused.

I personally refuse to watch any show where the actors don't fully embrace my head cannon as fact. I expect a full apology when the actors say or do anything to suggest that my head cannon isn't real.

I dont understand what anyone is upset about? Like really op, can you define for me exactly what is making you upset here?

Some fans think that they were against homosexuality cause the actors denied fans gay shipping fantasy. They did no such thing, they simply rejected the notion and kinda poked fun and the ship that some fans put them in.

Those fans are in the wrong. They are wasting their energy going after cast members of Supergirl, a show which outright supports LGBTQ relationships.

CW, in general, broadly supports LGBTQ relationships in their shows. And sometimes it even seems almost on the point to being a cliche.
But whenever I feel that way, I remember this story I read a few months ago and appreciate the emphasis.
http://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/a43186/supergirl-sanvers-lgbtq-fandom/

I never understood the terminology of shipping or shippers. I mean, I know what they are trying to convey, but why call it ship/shipping/shippers?

Effect

sounds like entitled fans that can't take a ribbing

There is always a risk in doing that. You have to know and be completely honest about your fanbase, it's make up and factions, before you do that. If not then expect backlash to various degrees. Lots of shows and cast learn this the hard way..

Some fans think that they were against homosexuality cause the actors denied fans gay shipping fantasy. They did no such thing, they simply rejected the notion and kinda poked fun and the ship that some fans put them in.

Ok, I see. My opinion is the same. The fans have to be able to take these kind of jokes (even crass ones) . I don't think there was any malice here. I mean, really?

kmfdmpig

OP, can you explain who is meant to be offended? Do you perceive this as homophobic? Are you upset on behalf of those who want Lena and Kara to become a couple?
If it's the former, I don't see it.
If it's the latter, why should they be coddled. They're reading something into the series that isn't there. Should the actors pretend that it may be there to make them feel better?

If I want Robert Baratheon to still be alive on GoT should the writers/actors all respect that and say that he may indeed be alive still?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I wouldn't watch Supergirl because, like all TV superhero shows (and also superhero movies), it's extremely bad and boring, but it's not bad because some dumb internet people are mad that the characters aren't their fantasy come to life on the screen. Fans can of course criticize and respond to the creative work that creators produce, but it is never for the best creatively when creators feel trapped by fan expectations and fans feel entitled to control the direction of the work. And I don't think even fans actually want this, because one presumes that part of what attracted them to the work to begin with was the show's vision.

Top comment on YouTube to add context on Jordan...

The best part is that people are lashing out on him,the same guy who was fighting to free his lesbian cousin who was sent away by her parents to 'pray away the gay'. That same guy who raised money and finally got the poor teenager freed. He, the musical theatre guy who keeps asking for a gay storyline with his character,only stated the fact that Kara and Lena are just friends because the writers made it and told them that way.He did not offend anybody,he just shut down the crazy Supercorp shippers who are now using homophobia as an excuse to hate on the actor who brought them back to reality...

The people who attacked him should be ashamed of themselves.

Pluto

So what is your guy's take on this?
It's a non issue, some people ship them, some don't, apparently the Supergirl cast doesn't.

... and disrespecting fans, even a small section of them, should be a "no no".
No one has been disrespected, the cast declaring "They're just friends" is not disrespectful, shipping is ridiculous and I say that as someone who likes to ship characters. It's fun to put characters you like together, looking for "hints" in the script, the performances etc., but it's really just a distraction, if someone tells me my preferred couple are really just friends my reaction is "Well ... duuhh", I don't get offended because someone doesn't agree with something that only exists in my head!

Sephzilla

The shippers probably felt a bit empowered since shippers basically ruined Seasons 3 and 4 of Arrow. Now they're upset that they've been stripped of that power

Volimar

I wouldn't watch Supergirl because, like all TV superhero shows (and also superhero movies), it's extremely bad and boring, but it's not bad because some dumb internet people are mad that the characters aren't their fantasy come to life on the screen. Fans can of course criticize and respond to the creative work that creators produce, but it is never for the best creatively when creators feel trapped by fan expectations and fans feel entitled to control the direction of the work. And I don't think even fans actually want this, because one presumes that part of what attracted them to the work to begin with was the show's vision.

Damn Stump I thought you were cool.

netguy503

OP, can you explain who is meant to be offended? Do you perceive this as homophobic? Are you upset on behalf of those who want Lena and Kara to become a couple?
If it's the former, I don't see it.
If it's the latter, why should they be coddled. They're reading something into the series that isn't there. Should the actors pretend that it may be there to make them feel better?

If I want Robert Baratheon to still be alive on GoT should the writers/actors all respect that and say that he may indeed be alive still?

I'm upset that he looked directly at the camera and therefore seemed intentional I also found his first twitter apology lacking as others did. I also don't like how the cast laughed and repeating the line several times which, to me, feels like they are endorsing it. To be honest, I just feel like it wasn't needed and I'm not sure why it happened in the first place.

That is what people were upset over? We should be more upset over the quality of the last season. Junk was terrible, and it doesn't seem like the next season will learn from its past mistakes.

Whompa02

The people who attacked him should be ashamed of themselves.

They're idiots and they're collapsing progressivism with their knee jerk garbage rhetoric. They absolutely have no idea how to analyze statements based on context. They just see words and get enraged. It's a huge problem and I hope that our base smartens up in the future...

Was this offensive? Or is it just fanboy/girls losing because the romance they want isnt there? Legit curious, even reading the post i dont quite get what happened

diunxx

I read the op twice and still don't get the controversy, I thinl I'm getting too old for the internet.

PSqueak

Banned
I also would like to keep "shipper" talk out of this thread ...

The clip starts at the :30 mark and basically the cast was asked to do a musical recap of S2 with Melissa and Jeremy taking the lead and singing in a normal tone until the Lena/Supergirl part where he breaks, looks directly at the camera and shouts "THEY"RE ONLY FRIENDS" several times with the cast laughing and repeating that same line obviously encouraging it.

You have failed your own request.

netguy503

That is what people were upset over? We should be more upset over the quality of the last season. Junk was terrible, and it doesn't seem like the next season will learn from its past mistakes.

Yea, especially since Chris Wood was all over the panel so most liking returning (I heard him and Melissa were dating, is that still the case?) :(

Top Bottom